Stein Tweets Wolves Likely Get Gelabale

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,236

Re: Stein Tweets Wolves Likely Get Gelabale 

Post#41 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:36 am

From Zgoda: Turiaf on his french national teammate

"You're going to like him," Turiaf said.

Here's most of what Turiaf had to say:
"He's somebody who can slash to the basket, who can shoot threes very well. And he will do all the intangibles. People are always trying to put other people in boxes. He is a basketball player. He can score. He's going to do whatever he has to do to help the team win. Yes, he can play defense. But he's not just a defender."
Turiaf mentioned that Gelabale and Nicolas Batum, whom the Wolves pursued aggressively last summer, were the two French players who always defended the opposing team's best player.
"He is a good defender," Turiaf said. "A lock-down defender."
And just as importantly, he can shoot threes on a team that is struggling mightily to do so this season.
"He's very efficient and he has a nice little pull-up jumper. He can play in the paint very well. He has a nice little fade-away jumper. He plays both ways. He's a complete player.
"He has been looking for an opportunity to come back to the NBA, so I think he's very, very excited. And I think he deserves to be in this league because he's somebody that has a lot of talent and a lot to offer to a basketball squad. And the way you guys play here, with the Rick Adelman system, with the high post and the cut, with the team basketball?
"That's something that really will make his skill come out a lot."
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,132

Post#42 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:50 am

Murphs56 wrote:From Zgoda: Turiaf on his french national teammate

"He's somebody who can slash to the basket, who can shoot threes very well. And he will do all the intangibles. People are always trying to put other people in boxes. He is a basketball player. He can score. He's going to do whatever he has to do to help the team win. Yes, he can play defense. But he's not just a defender."
Turiaf mentioned that Gelabale and Nicolas Batum, whom the Wolves pursued aggressively last summer, were the two French players who always defended the opposing team's best player.
And just as importantly, he can shoot threes on a team that is struggling mightily to do so this season.
"He's very efficient and he has a nice little pull-up jumper. He can play in the paint very well. He has a nice little fade-away jumper. He plays both ways. He's a complete player.
"He has been looking for an opportunity to come back to the NBA, so I think he's very, very excited. And I think he deserves to be in this league because he's somebody that has a lot of talent and a lot to offer to a basketball squad. And the way you guys play here, with the Rick Adelman system, with the high post and the cut, with the team basketball?

We are back in the playoff hunt baby!
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

Calinks wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:From Zgoda: Turiaf on his french national teammate

We are back in the playoff hunt baby!

Based on my calculations before tonight, if this man is in shape and competently can defend and shoot a 3, we should win 3 of the next 5 against Atlanta, Washington and Charlotte. However, based on these new injuries, w'ell probably lose all 5. Stiemsma starting equals the end of civilization
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#44 » by Basti » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Murphs56 wrote:Based on my calculations before tonight, if this man is in shape and competently can defend and shoot a 3, we should win 3 of the next 5 against Atlanta, Washington and Charlotte. However, based on these new injuries, w'ell probably lose all 5. Stiemsma starting equals the end of civilization

Amoundson backing him up is a slap into the face of the human extinction.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#45 » by FinnTheHuman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 pm

The biggest problem for Gelabale is getting used to the 3 point line. Half a meter is a lot, even some former NBA players in Euroleague tend to shoot it too strong until they get used to it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,970

Post#46 » by shrink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Basti wrote:
Murphs56 wrote:Stiemsma starting equals the end of civilization

I believe that while SG is clearly a need, we have a bigger need for a back-up center. Ridnour .. as poorly as he fits as a back-up SG, plays that position better than Steimsma or Amundson play back-up center. If Pek goes down and Steimsma actually start, our team should be ridiculed.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Murphs56 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm

shrink wrote:
Basti wrote:

I believe that while SG is clearly a need, we have a bigger need for a back-up center. Ridnour .. as poorly as he fits as a back-up SG, plays that position better than Steimsma or Amundson play back-up center. If Pek goes down and Steimsma actually start, our team should be ridiculed.

You mean cuz neither understand what post position is?
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#48 » by Basti » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm

shrink wrote:
Basti wrote:

We obviously need a better center off the bench. Steamer can be nice off the bench occasionally but I cringe at the very thought of him starting the next few games. Lou backing him up will be even worse. The next few games will be pick-our-poison games :(

And yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,579

Post#49 » by Klomp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:56 am

“@Mickaelgelabale: I will be wearing # 15 tomorrow.”
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Murphs56
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Murphs56 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:49 am

Did he even practice lol? I think he's going to have to play at least 20 minutes or so
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#51 » by GopherIt! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 am

Calinks wrote:Already got some footage of him working out at the Target Center.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aQJedIVTX4[/youtube]

Mr Garrison is our only hope.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,970

Post#52 » by shrink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 pm

When Gelabale, I expect he will only get garbage minutes for the Wolves for the next ten days.

So yes, he could be a starter.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,579

Post#53 » by Klomp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 pm

It's officially official now, FIBA clearance and all

The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced the team has signed forward Mickael Gelabale to a 10-day contract.

Gelabale, 29, spent two seasons (2006-07, 2007-08) in the NBA with the Seattle SuperSonics, and averaged 4.5 points, 2.1 rebounds and 15.6 minutes per game in 109 contests. Gelabale was drafted in the second round (48th overall) of the 2005 NBA Draft by Seattle.

Gelabale, 6-7, began this season playing in Croatia for Cedevita Zagreb in the EuroLeague and Adriatic League. In 10 EuroLeague games, Gelabale averaged 12.8 points on 60.5 percent shooting, including 42.1 percent from beyond the arc. Gelabale signed with Valencia BC in Spain in December and played in five games in the EuroCup and Spanish League, averaging 10.8 points on 51.6 percent shooting from the floor. Gelabale has also spent time playing professionally in France, Belgium and Russia.

Gelabale played for the French National Team in the 2012 Summer Olympics, averaging 7.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.3 assists in six contests, all starts.

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/wo ... y-contract
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves