ImageImageImageImageImage

Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,195

Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking? 

Post#1 » by Mister Ze » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:05 am

Was the team that desperate to hold onto him even after drafting Ross that they had to overpay him? What has he shown that was so promising prior to the extension? No 3 pt shot, poor ball handling, lack of court vision, and can't create when it matters.

Looking at his game log,

-He's scored 20 or more in 15/39 games this season.
-8/15 of those games were against playoff teams
-0/8 resulted in wins

So he's pretty much the type of player who can score in bunches against losing teams but can't carry this team to a win against a playoff team. Yet this franchise has offered him a ridiculously overpaid extension. At least if they waited for him to expire he would've had a higher incentive to play well like Jennings and they would've had some insurance at the 2 with Ross.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Re: Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking? 

Post#2 » by J-Roc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 am

Hey he has a tradeable contract. Like Jose. Like Bargs....
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#3 » by Chaos Engine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 am

You know when even Le Doug criticized this signing it was bad. No team was going to offer Demar a max deal. It was the most pointless contract of all the extensions signed before the season. Bobcats or Wizards weren't waiting for Demar to become an RFA.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#4 » by Geddy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 am

Classic case of BC outbidding himself
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#5 » by J-Roc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 am

Hey BC put a lot of thought into this. It's not like he raced down to the tunnel before the season opener to sign DeMar before his hit the court.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#6 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:14 am

Not we.....BC.

He outbids himself every f*cking time.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#7 » by sanity » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:15 am

The 0.01% chance that somehow another team would offer him a 10m/year contract. Perhaps Phoenix? Nah.

Imo it was even worse than Bargnani's extension
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#8 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:16 am

Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:16 am

Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager

Post#10 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 am

DHK wrote:Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.

If I get into my Hot Tub Time Machine I swear you're talking about Bargnani.
now and 4 life
Starter
And1: 11

Post#11 » by now and 4 life » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:18 am

It was 100% nonsensical I don't even understand why we had to sign him at the time we did and never mind the money he was signed for.
El Bow
Pro Prospect
And1: 667

Post#12 » by El Bow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:19 am

Geddy wrote:Classic case of BC outbidding himself

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#13 » by J Dilla » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:21 am

I want to like DeRozan but this is a make or break year for him. After this year this is the DeRozan you should expect to get for the rest of his career.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#14 » by Beardman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 am

The other 29 GM's were probably looking at the papers like "What the hell DeRozan extended for 40 mil ? he outbids himself again *shakes head in disbelief* *chuckle*"
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,137

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 am

They weren't.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,195

Post#16 » by Mister Ze » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

The main problem that I have with this team is how Demar, Fields, Bargnani, and Kleiza will be making 31.1M next season; that's more than half of the salary cap devoted to a bunch of bench players.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#17 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

DHK wrote:Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.

Are you kidding me? How long does this guy have to play to prove he's a scrub? He's just not a good player.
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 am

DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:

Are you kidding me? How long does this guy have to play to prove he's a scrub? He's just not a good player.

He's not a scrub though, that's an exaggeration. And if you are serious about that comment; he's already proven he's not one and at the very least a rotational player.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager

Post#19 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:27 am

El Bow wrote:
Geddy wrote:Classic case of BC outbidding himself

It's so sad we make fun of it but it really is the truth.

Who was going to give Amir anywhere near the MLE nevermind above it?

Give Calderon anything more than MLE nevermind double it?

I would be shocked if anyone gave DeRozan over $7M/yr and really that should have been his cut off...Bargnani is another repeat of Calderon's contract. I really think anywhere from $5-7M would have been the tops anyone offered him.

It's so sad to think what these guys actually could have netted had they been re-signed for what they are worth not on what Bryan hopes they can be and never are. Right now Jose at $5-6M, Bargnani at $5-7M, Amir at $3-5M and DeRozan at $6-7M all looks so much sexier for other teams to trade for (nevermind just decent cap management). It's depressing thinking what they could have netted in trades since they would be fair value contracts or what possibilties they would have allowed for with extra cap.
raptorfan416
Banned User
And1: 172

Post#20 » by raptorfan416 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 am

raptor fans i tell you.. THE SAME THING WAS SAID ABOUT AMIR WHEN BC GAVE HIM THAT CONTRACT.. now who's saying anything about amir contract ? remember when people on here saying use the amnesty on amir ? raptor fans need to stop b#tching and crying after every loss. yes i know the losing is fustrating but my god after every damn time we lose a game it's 6 topics about a certain player being over paid or how crap that player is.. nobody says nothing when the team is winning, but the moment we loose a game all of a sudden it's this player is garbage, he can't do this he can't do that, the next time that same player goes on a run like jose did it's resign him, he's beast :-? face facts here most of the teams in the league got overpaid players on their roster... when the team is winning nobody is saying nothing but once the team loses a game it's who's on copping block now, if it's not brags its demar, if it's not demar its lowry, if it's not lowry its jose, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THE F*CKING BITCHING,THE CRYING AND CALLING OUT RANDOM PLAYERS AFTER EVERY LOST.. this team on a whole is an inconsistent team. name one consistent player on this team ? i rest my case.

Return to Toronto Raptors