Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Re: Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing 

Post#41 » by Doddage » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 am

noobcake wrote:Wiggins is just a LeBron/Jordan type.

I have yet to see Wiggins get the same type of hype that LeBron or even Oden did.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#42 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:50 am

Wiggins isn't as big, or the ball handling/passer LeBron is. 30+ pounds and passing/handling is a HUGE difference. Calling him Jordan is laughable.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
orange_juice32
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#43 » by orange_juice32 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:53 am

Chalk1 wrote:
orange_juice32 wrote:Team Canada is going to be nice in 2020

I'd say 2016 and 2019 could be pretty good too.

Olynyk
Sacre
Thompson
Nicholson
Bennett
Wiggins
Joseph
Kabongo
Pangos
Stauskas
??

IMO Wiggins and most of these guys wont be seasoned enough by 2016 for Canada to do real well. By 2020 though most of them should be 6-8 years in the league and in their prime.
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#44 » by NG15 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:59 am

Personally, I think Wiggins is going to be a stud. He's long, athletic, has a decent shot (needs some work) and he has some guard skills. Even though all eyes are one Wiggins vs Parker, I think Julius Randle is even more intriguing. Dude is 6,9, has sort of a Zach Randolph/Anthony Bennett build, has really good mobility for a big man, he can score, block shots but what makes him so special is his ability to create his own shot and play make- kind of like Odom, obviously to a much lesser extent- which is impressive for a high school player. He seems most NBA ready of the three simply due to the sheer strength and space he takes up.

BUT

I still have Wiggins as the best prospect over Randle and Parker.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJqaMioXegU[/youtube]
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#45 » by Han Solo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:05 am

Massamba wrote:What are his measurements? He looks like a rare specimen.

6'7 200 lbs - not sure about his wing span. Kid plays around the rim like he's 7 foot tall. Incredible athlete.

As a Pistons fan, I would love to be a playoff team soon. But it's hard not to imagine the thought of this kid playing with Drummond.

Every team will want this kid come 2014 Draft.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#46 » by Han Solo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 am

Hassassin wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE1yRLb3DgE[/youtube]

Great video.
Chalk1
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#47 » by Chalk1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:08 am

orange_juice32 wrote:
Chalk1 wrote:
orange_juice32 wrote:Team Canada is going to be nice in 2020

Olynyk
Sacre
Thompson
Nicholson
Bennett
Wiggins
Joseph
Kabongo
Pangos
Stauskas
??

IMO Wiggins and most of these guys wont be seasoned enough by 2016 for Canada to do real well. By 2020 though most of them should be 6-8 years in the league and in their prime.

I think you're right. The timeframe of around '20 or so is when they will be at their potential best.

I think though they could supplant Argentina as the 3rd best Americas team in the next few years. Then they can get into the Olympic picture. The potential will be there to challenge Brazil too, and depending on if Wiggins is a true once in a generation type, the USA.

It also depends on if they can play with pride and cohesion, something Canada has lacked.
Han Solo
General Manager

Post#48 » by Han Solo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:10 am

NG15 wrote:Personally, I think Wiggins is going to be a stud. He's long, athletic, has a decent shot (needs some work) and he has some guard skills. Even though all eyes are one Wiggins vs Parker, I think Julius Randle is even more intriguing. Dude is 6,9, has sort of a Zach Randolph/Anthony Bennett build, has really good mobility for a big man, he can score, block shots but what makes him so special is his ability to create his own shot and play make- kind of like Odom, obviously to a much lesser extent- which is impressive for a high school player. He seems most NBA ready of the three simply due to the sheer strength and space he takes up.

BUT

2014 Draft will have a nice top 3 if those guys continue getting better. All three are very blue-chip level prospects.

My opinion for the 2012 draft this year is that it is very deep and could produce some stars, and even superstars if the potential pans out. Lillard, AD & AD all look dominant already with about 10 other guys that could blossom a little later and too possess star-level potential.

2013 draft will be very weak.

2014 will more than likely rival this years draft and will have the potential to be even better. Wiggins is legit.
orange_juice32
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#49 » by orange_juice32 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 am

Chalk1 wrote:
orange_juice32 wrote:
Chalk1 wrote:

Olynyk
Sacre
Thompson
Nicholson
Bennett
Wiggins
Joseph
Kabongo
Pangos
Stauskas
??

I think you're right. The timeframe of around '20 or so is when they will be at their potential best.

I think though they could supplant Argentina as the 3rd best Americas team in the next few years. Then they can get into the Olympic picture. The potential will be there to challenge Brazil too, and depending on if Wiggins is a true once in a generation type, the USA.

It also depends on if they can play with pride and cohesion, something Canada has lacked.

Hopefully Triano sticks around and all of them commit to playing for Canada long term. As the USA and other programs have shown, you need continuity in your system and the opportunity to develop chemistry. You can't just throw NBA players out there and expect them to own the court, look at France.
Ziggy Stardust
Banned User
And1: 96

Post#50 » by Ziggy Stardust » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 am

I know people want to believe in the next big thing, but I don't see the Lebron potential. People thought Lebron was Magic Johnson's (mind and build) but with Jordans athleticism. He literally went out their against the best HS competition and just toyed with them and put on a show for everybody.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#51 » by StatLine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 am

Andrew Wiggin have it all
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#52 » by boogie-reke » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 am

Han Solo wrote: If Wiggins was from the States he'd be getting much more exposure. This kid is everything Parker is with freakish athleticism. He is, in my opinion, the closest player Lebron's size with his same physical gifts. And he's nasty.

I don't care. I'll stick by my opinion, this kid will be huge when he hits the NBA.

Yea.. no, no he is not. Not even close.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#53 » by boogie-reke » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:39 am

And anyone who compares him to even high-school Lebron, besides the ability to jump really high - is either out of his goddamn mind - or he didn't actually see Wiggins and basing it over mixtapes instead of watching actual full game footage to properly evaluate him(And this thread screams 'youtube mix hype' imo)

Lebron's all around skill level even as a high-school kid puts Wiggins to deep, deep shame.

Wiggins is gonna have to drastically improve and fine-tune his game and skills to reach the expectations people are having of him - he better have that once in a decade work-ethic and drive more then anything, cause right now he's mainly an athletic specimen without anything close to extraordinary skill/shooting ability.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,629

Post#54 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:40 am

NG15 wrote:Personally, I think Wiggins is going to be a stud. He's long, athletic, has a decent shot (needs some work) and he has some guard skills. Even though all eyes are one Wiggins vs Parker, I think Julius Randle is even more intriguing. Dude is 6,9, has sort of a Zach Randolph/Anthony Bennett build, has really good mobility for a big man, he can score, block shots but what makes him so special is his ability to create his own shot and play make- kind of like Odom, obviously to a much lesser extent- which is impressive for a high school player. He seems most NBA ready of the three simply due to the sheer strength and space he takes up.

BUT

Randle and Wiggins played against each other over the summer, Wiggins outplayed him by a wide margin.
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#55 » by NG15 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 am

Pops wrote:

BUT

Randle and Wiggins played against each other over the summer, Wiggins outplayed him by a wide margin.

Again, I have Wiggins as the better prospect and higher pick over both Randle and Parker. I never discounted Wiggins as a player at all. I feel like those guys garner a lot of attention and praise, understandably so, but I think what Randle brings to court is interesting to look at. He's a big body but he likes to stand around the perimeter a lot, with that said he has all of the physical tools to be a star in the NBA. He needs to develop a better back to the basket game and play in the paint more. It's way too early to compare him to a Z-BO type mold, but the fact that the dude is 6,9, has a lot of mass, and is southpaw, makes it difficult not to make the comparison.

Once again, I have WIGGINS as my TOP prospect.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#56 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 am

big_ticket wrote:he is the next player to dominate the nba..lookout

Yeah this kid looks like he could be the best player in the NBA one day.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#57 » by BigSlam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 am

I heard he likes vinegar on his poutine............freak.

Randle >>>> Wiggins for that fact alone.
B B M F 'ers
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#58 » by dandrews » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:30 am

Have any of you actually seen Wiggins or Parker play, or do you guys do all your prognostications off of 2 minute YouTube highlights?
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Post#59 » by Hero » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 am

I won't say LeBron but he sure seems like the best prospect since him. That is amazing enough to make teams and fans go crazy.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#60 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 am

dandrews wrote:Have any of you actually seen Wiggins or Parker play, or do you guys do all your prognostications off of 2 minute YouTube highlights?

I've seen him play at Peach Jam. Kid is the best prospect I have seen since Lebron.

Return to The General Board