ImageImageImageImageImage

Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Re: Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking? 

Post#21 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:
DHK wrote:Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.

If I get into my Hot Tub Time Machine I swear you're talking about Bargnani.

Bargnani has had 6 years to prove himself to be something more than a big who can score; he's 27.
Demar only has 3 seasons under his belt thus far and he came into the league very raw as opposed to bargs, and he's 23. I think a fair evaluation can be made in 1.5 seasons time but in my opinion, its still too early to make an overall judgment on DD
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#22 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 am

DHK wrote:Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.

If you're going to give each drafted player 5 years, then you're going to be stuck where you are for a very long time. You gotta be able to evaluate a player within 2-3 years. 5 years is way too long, especially for guards/wing player who are much easier to guage early in their careers. Bigs take longer to develop depending on how raw they are to begin with, but smalls usually show their true colors very early on. You're gonna wait 5 years? Then what? another 5 years?
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#23 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:34 am

DHK wrote:
DatHomieYouHaTe wrote:

Are you kidding me? How long does this guy have to play to prove he's a scrub? He's just not a good player.

He's not a scrub though, that's an exaggeration. And if you are serious about that comment; he's already proven he's not one and at the very least a rotational player.

You tell me what he does well? Shoot 3's? No. Defend? Him and Calderon have the red carpet to the rim defense. Is he a good slasher? Average at best.... Passing ability? Dude has tunnel vision... Mike James was better then this clown and didn't make 10 million a year.
raps4589
Pro Prospect
And1: 28

Post#24 » by raps4589 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:38 am

steph curry pretty much got the same deal and hes playing like an all star
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#25 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:38 am

DHK wrote:
TheGoodDoctor wrote:

If I get into my Hot Tub Time Machine I swear you're talking about Bargnani.

Bargnani has had 6 years to prove himself to be something more than a big who can score; he's 27.
Demar only has 3 seasons under his belt thus far and he came into the league very raw as opposed to bargs, and he's 23. I think a fair evaluation can be made in 1.5 seasons time but in my opinion, its still too early to make an overall judgment on DD

Waiting that long for Bargnani has become a mistake. So why should the Raptors make the same mistake again? Aren't they supposed to learn from their mistakes? 3 years is enough to evaluate a wing player my friend. Those handles and quickness aren't going to get any better.

And $8-10mil for a rotational player? WTF would the Raptors have left for their starters?
hokageinfamus
Senior
And1: 29

Post#26 » by hokageinfamus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:39 am

Giving Weems 10 mil would've been more justifiable than Derozan. At least he could shoot, drive, was a decent defender and better on the fast break than Demar :lol: (Not saying Weems is a 10mil player)
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#27 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:39 am

raptorfan416 wrote:raptor fans i tell you.. THE SAME THING WAS SAID ABOUT AMIR WHEN BC GAVE HIM THAT CONTRACT.. now who's saying anything about amir contract ? remember when people on here saying use the amnesty on amir ? raptor fans need to stop b#tching and crying after every loss. yes i know the losing is fustrating but my god after every damn time we lose a game it's 6 topics about a certain player being over paid or how crap that player is.. nobody says nothing when the team is winning, but the moment we loose a game all of a sudden it's this player is garbage, he can't do this he can't do that, the next time that same player goes on a run like jose did it's resign him, he's beast :-? face facts here most of the teams in the league got overpaid players on their roster... when the team is winning nobody is saying nothing but once the team loses a game it's who's on copping block now, if it's not brags its demar, if it's not demar its lowry, if it's not lowry its jose, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THE F*CKING BITCHING,THE CRYING AND CALLING OUT RANDOM PLAYERS AFTER EVERY LOST.. this team on a whole is an inconsistent team. name one consistent player on this team ? i rest my case.

.....yet you have a sig "FireBC"; you really have no clue if you're for or against BC's moves. :lol:

Please stop posting.
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#28 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:41 am

raps4589 wrote:steph curry pretty much got the same deal and hes playing like an all star

Guys like Curry and Hoilday were paid on past performance, while DeRozan was paid on potential. In the 4th season of a player's career, you shouldn't be relying on potential anymore. 4th season, you should be looking for production.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#29 » by StatLine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:43 am

Mediocre players around the league should be lining up to play for Toronto. Colangelo loves to overrate his guys and overpay.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 am

raps4589 wrote:steph curry pretty much got the same deal and hes playing like an all star

In all fairness this guy has injured his ankle yet again. Dude is made of glass.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#31 » by Beardman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:47 am

StatLine wrote:Mediocre players around the league should be lining up to play for Toronto. Colangelo loves to overrate his guys and overpay.

It's really amazing that MLSE allows him to spend like this ... 20 mil for Fields ? like wtf is going on up stairs ?

I bet if Lowry and his agent ask for the max, BC will blink within the hour.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Post#32 » by Hero » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:47 am

I like Demar but it is a horrible contract and a horrible decision. This is the life of a Raptor fan though. Reward a guy for playing no defense.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:48 am

StatLine wrote:Mediocre players around the league should be lining up to play for Toronto. Colangelo loves to overrate his guys and overpay.

The players must love him so much. He's made so many scrubs rich beyond their wildest dreams. He's the Santa Claus of the NBA.. He's always in the giving mood.
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#34 » by Greg Stink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 am

I think it was for Demar's 32% clutch shooting last season (zero 3s, 71% FTs, 82Games.com). Ice water.
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:53 am

Death Knight wrote:
DHK wrote:
TheGoodDoctor wrote:If I get into my Hot Tub Time Machine I swear you're talking about Bargnani.

Waiting that long for Bargnani has become a mistake. So why should the Raptors make the same mistake again? Aren't they supposed to learn from their mistakes? 3 years is enough to evaluate a wing player my friend. Those handles and quickness aren't going to get any better.

And $8-10mil for a rotational player? WTF would the Raptors have left for their starters?

His handles and quickness isnt an issue and from another post; he doesnt possess tunnel vision; he's made strides on kicking the ball out at times when there's no openings leading to some good open shots for JC/Ross/Lowry. His issue at the moment is defense + shooting, both aspects which can be improved on with repetition/practice and experience. You don't absolutely need quickness to be a good defender in the league. Clearly, he's not a 1st option but if he has a teammate he can defer to where the opponent's defense is catered to stopping player X rather than Demar; he can be an effective player. the problem right now on the defensive end is that he's too aggressive on defense at times and he's clueless on positioning himself so he gets blown by countless times and gets called for those unnecessary fouls. He's not playing smart. On the offensive end, teams are just clogging up the lanes forcing away the drive and daring DD to beat them from the outside and sadly it's a good game plan because he has no jumper beyond the midrange to speak of.

The difference I see with Bargs is that we actually attempted to build around Bargs based on his potential, and flashes of what he's shown and he's made us unanimously hate him for never living up to it because of his laziness and poor conditioning/work ethic. Right now we're clearly not building around DD, he's being treated like a complementary piece to the core and that he should be.I still see a chance of him fitting and still see areas for improvement that he can work on over time especially given his work ethic. Call me foolish/delusional but i'd still give him 1.5 seasons and in the end I still see him as a starter type of player.

My friend, if you were to look at the salary situation; it's not Demar that's holding us back of anything; it's the unnecessary Kleiza signing, Bargs Fields, and Gray holding us back from making that one final splash for the final missing piece we sorely need (ie. franchise player).
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:06 am

Death Knight wrote:

If you're going to give each drafted player 5 years, then you're going to be stuck where you are for a very long time. You gotta be able to evaluate a player within 2-3 years. 5 years is way too long, especially for guards/wing player who are much easier to guage early in their careers. Bigs take longer to develop depending on how raw they are to begin with, but smalls usually show their true colors very early on. You're gonna wait 5 years? Then what? another 5 years?

It's not. Really. Demar is entering his fourth season right now and you aren't patient enough to wait one more season?
Look, when he was drafted we were all over him because of his potential; however it seems like he didnt fully live up to it. clearly he's not a superstar or even a perennial all star player in the making. Even Demar's biggest supporters have to admit that. That doesnt mean he can be a solid player in the NBA. He was picked as a freshman...he came in raw; with little seasoning and it wasn't like he came in NBA prepared and what you saw was what you're going to get for years to come.

I'm looking at past drafts and players like Larry Hughes, Richard Hamilton (both solid SGs at one point in their careers); they'd had atrocious 3-4 years in the league. In Hughes' case it took him 7 seasons before he finally figured it out. Richard Hamilton was an atrocious defender as a Wizard; his 3 point shot was brutal and all he had was a midrange game with little handles but then off he goes to Detroit and all of a sudden he's a world class defender in his fifth season, and by his 7th, one of the best SGs in the conference. Patience. It's hard given the amount of losing and the amount of shots he's missing in crunch time, but I'd give him a little bit of a leash before finally giving him away to another team for unknown assets
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#37 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:08 am

Handles and quickness is not an issue? Especially the quickness part...............................both ends of the floor, not just defense.

DHK wrote:He's not a scrub though, that's an exaggeration. And if you are serious about that comment; he's already proven he's not one and at the very least a rotational player.

You said a rotational player. How is a $10mil rotational player not holding us back? Like I said, what money is left to give to real starters? No **** we need a franchise player. But that's not enough. we needs stars to go along with the franchise player. There are currently 0 stars on the team. Lowry is the cloest player to that and the coaching staff doesn't even trust him to give him the keys to the team!!!
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#38 » by fredericklove » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 am

I'll post this again just to rub it in our face.

Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#39 » by Dr Octagon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:10 am

fredericklove wrote:I'll post this again just to rub it in our face.

You owe me new monitor bro.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#40 » by Ackshun » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 am

we should have sent him home for Eric Bledsoe when we had the chance.

Colangelo was bent on locking up assets that he had to act by the deadline apparently. If you get a chance to bring in Gay or Granger and somehow send his contract back, you don't even think twice.

Return to Toronto Raptors