RGM's Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Vote for #16

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,002

Re: RGM's Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Vote for #16 

Post#41 » by shrink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
shrink wrote:I won't stoop to your level of insult and condescension, but if the shoe fits ..:

And yet here you are, clearly being condescending. Classy as always.

so inappropriate .. again. mr. mod.

"As always," you continue with your personal attacks.

Can other mods warn you?

Hartford Whalers wrote: I'm not sure if your completely missing the point intentionally, or just too busy to read it, but ...

Isn't this the "classy" line YOU wrote?

The article itself says that the direct value is hard to assign, and I agree. However, "something" made MSGC's value rise a half billion dollars in February. You suggest it's winning games. All I say is "prove it" show me the correlation in other Februaries and I'll buy it. I doubt you'll find it, especially since the Knicks make money regardless of their record.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,474

Post#42 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 pm

shrink wrote:If you want to prove your point - do the work, don't make associations.

If you're right, the value of the MSGC has risen or fallen in previous Februaries (not play-offs) based on the team's record.

If Time is right, and they should mention that the huge gain correlates exactly with Lin's miracle February, the company's value shouldn't differ much from the beginning to the end of February regardless of the Knicks win-loss record.

Both are very public pieces of information.

You realize you have done nothing to prove otherwise first right?

Facts:
MSG stock increased during Frebruary
Lin went from being a scrub to Linsanity then
Knicks went from he team was 8 - 15 and looking like a playoff longshot, to 18 - 18 and looking like a lock.

So we have two listed correlates. Or it could be anything else.

Other facts:
Lin leaves Knicks
Knicks continue winning
MSG stock goes up.

Well, its not looking good at all for making a simple correlation based upon Lin.

If someone wants to find other times the Knicks have radically had their season prognosis change in a short time period, please do so. The only other I can think of was the Finals run from the 8th seed when it looked like they might miss the playoffs. And yes, that includes the playoffs, those were exactly the important revenues I was discussing, and the chance at them..

From April 27 to June 25 Cablevision went up 25%, DJ was up 12% and SP500 was up 1%. (Not including playoffs and just the run in the numbers are 17% Cablevision, 9% DJIA, 2% S&P500)
During that time, the Knicks won 6 of 8 to sneak in as the 8th seed, and then made it to the finals. Also known as Houston-mania.
shrink
RealGM

Post#43 » by shrink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:You realize you have done nothing to prove otherwise first right?.

I repeated the contentions of Time magazine that suggested that Lin's presence could be responsible for the reasons.

You've said that that's ridiculous, and offered that it's win-loss.

If you want to refute the contention, then it's easy for you to prove. All I have is one data point, February 2012 for one spike in asset value.

You have multiple years with multiple win/loss records correlated with asset rise or fall.

If you want to step in and say that Time is wrong here, and shouldn't have mentioned the rise in asset value in a Lin article, do the work.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#44 » by shrink » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey -- don't backtrack now. Here's what you said:

HartfordWhalers wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to attribute any rise in MSG to the increased chance of making the playoffs? The team was 8 - 15 and looking like a playoff longshot, only to finish February at 18 - 18 and looking like a lock.

.. and the dramatic level you've changed it to.

HartfordWhalers wrote:[If someone wants to find other times the Knicks have radically had their season prognosis change in a short time period, please do so. The only other I can think of was the Finals run from the 8th seed when it looked like they might miss the playoffs.

Wow! Is that the same as "increased chance" to make the play-off? Now it's "radical change?"

I'm sure there are plenty of years you can find an "increased chance of making the play-offs," right?
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,474

Post#45 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 pm

shrink wrote:Hey -- don't backtrack now. Here's what you said:

HartfordWhalers wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to attribute any rise in MSG to the increased chance of making the playoffs? The team was 8 - 15 and looking like a playoff longshot, only to finish February at 18 - 18 and looking like a lock.

.. and the dramatic level you've changed it to.

HartfordWhalers wrote:[If someone wants to find other times the Knicks have radically had their season prognosis change in a short time period, please do so. The only other I can think of was the Finals run from the 8th seed when it looked like they might miss the playoffs.

Wow! Is that the same as "increased chance" to make the play-off? Now it's "radical change?"

I'm sure there are plenty of years you can find an "increased chance of making the play-offs," right?

I'm comfortable with my original wording.
looking like a playoff longshot
to
looking like a lock.
I won't quibble if that is simply an increased chance or a radical change, I think it fits the latter but you can call it the former if you like. Just make sure it fits that change initially outlined, and a short period of time in which that transition happened. I have found another, occurring at the end of the 99 season with a 6-2 run.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#46 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 am

^^^^^its like watching your parents fight :(
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
lewdog
Rookie
And1: 88

Post#47 » by lewdog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:15 am

V - Kobe (it's time boys)
N - Wall
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum
Zubby
General Manager
And1: 835

Post#48 » by Zubby » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 am

shrink wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:You realize you have done nothing to prove otherwise first right?.

I repeated the contentions of Time magazine that suggested that Lin's presence could be responsible for the reasons.

You've said that that's ridiculous, and offered that it's win-loss.

If you want to refute the contention, then it's easy for you to prove. All I have is one data point, February 2012 for one spike in asset value.

You have multiple years with multiple win/loss records correlated with asset rise or fall.

If you want to step in and say that Time is wrong here, and shouldn't have mentioned the rise in asset value in a Lin article, do the work.

Quick thought Time is a weekly magazine based out of NY, their goal to sell copies... Lin is a sexy story, draws interest.

I know they have quite a few opinion pieces in that magazine.
Its like how every magazine makes a top ___ list... It draws attention even though for the most part its speculation.

I mean logic does say winning = financial success, not the likability of character.
9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#49 » by 9abovetherim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm

V - Curry
N - Holiday
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#50 » by eliasrapp98 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Holiday's already nominated...
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#51 » by theokie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

V. Drummond
N. Bosh
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#52 » by ATL Boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 pm

V. Dwight - He's still one of the best big men in the NBA and in his prime
N. Horford - All-star type player in his prime on a very good contract making 12 mil per year for 3 more years.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#53 » by JoseRizal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:56 pm

V: Deron
N: Lopez

Return to Trades and Transactions