ImageImageImageImageImage

Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Re: Derozan Extension: What Were They Thinking? 

Post#41 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:17 am

Death Knight wrote:Handles and quickness is not an issue? Especially the quickness part...............................both ends of the floor, not just defense.

DHK wrote:He's not a scrub though, that's an exaggeration. And if you are serious about that comment; he's already proven he's not one and at the very least a rotational player.

You said a rotational player. How is a $10mil rotational player not holding us back? Like I said, what money is left to give to real starters? No **** we need a franchise player. But that's not enough. we needs stars to go along with the franchise player. There are currently 0 stars on the team. Lowry is the cloest player to that and the coaching staff doesn't even trust him to give him the keys to the team!!!

No, I think there's a misunderstanding. or my poor grammar at work again. I've stated that he's no way a scrub because at worst; he's a rotational player. I believe he's more than that and a starter calibre player. In the end I see someone who will be overpaid by minimally given his contract. We don't have stars right now because our greatest assets on the team is a rookie (Val) who may or may not be a star at one point in his career. Lowry if he figures it out can also become a potential star. As much as it is a superstar league; we dont necessarily need multiple stars to get over to the top. Just one franchise player + great role players would be suffice and the great role players are all lined up. We don't have money to get substantial upg'rades but Demar is hardly the problem. The true problem lies in: KLeiza, Bargnani, Fields and Gray.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#42 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 am

DHK wrote:
Death Knight wrote:
DHK wrote:Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.

If you're going to give each drafted player 5 years, then you're going to be stuck where you are for a very long time. You gotta be able to evaluate a player within 2-3 years. 5 years is way too long, especially for guards/wing player who are much easier to guage early in their careers. Bigs take longer to develop depending on how raw they are to begin with, but smalls usually show their true colors very early on. You're gonna wait 5 years? Then what? another 5 years?

It's not. Really. Demar is entering his fourth season right now and you aren't patient enough to wait one more season?
Look, when he was drafted we were all over him because of his potential; however it seems like he didnt fully live up to it. clearly he's not a superstar or even a perennial all star player in the making. Even Demar's biggest supporters have to admit that. That doesnt mean he can be a solid player in the NBA. He was picked as a freshman...he came in raw; with little seasoning and it wasn't like he came in NBA prepared and what you saw was what you're going to get for years to come.

I'm looking at past drafts and players like Larry Hughes, Richard Hamilton (both solid SGs at one point in their careers); they'd had atrocious 3-4 years in the league. In Hughes' case it took him 7 seasons before he finally figured it out. Richard Hamilton was an atrocious defender as a Wizard; his 3 point shot was brutal and all he had was a midrange game with little handles but then off he goes to Detroit and all of a sudden he's a world class defender in his fifth season, and by his 7th, one of the best SGs in the conference. Patience. It's hard given the amount of losing and the amount of shots he's missing in crunch time, but I'd give him a little bit of a leash before finally giving him away to another team for unknown assets

No player comes in the league prepared. But 3-4 years for me is enough time to see what a player can become and what a player can't become.

Larry Hughes? Richard Hamilton? Those guys were pretty consistent with who they were for the rest of their careers once they reached their 3rd-4th seasons son. Hughes was not an efficient player early on and never become one later on. Hamilton never had much of a 3pt shot his whole career. Midrange game off screens was what he was. Nothing really changed with them past their 3rd-4th year of development.
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#43 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 am

DHK wrote:
Death Knight wrote:Handles and quickness is not an issue? Especially the quickness part...............................both ends of the floor, not just defense.

DHK wrote:He's not a scrub though, that's an exaggeration. And if you are serious about that comment; he's already proven he's not one and at the very least a rotational player.

You said a rotational player. How is a $10mil rotational player not holding us back? Like I said, what money is left to give to real starters? No **** we need a franchise player. But that's not enough. we needs stars to go along with the franchise player. There are currently 0 stars on the team. Lowry is the cloest player to that and the coaching staff doesn't even trust him to give him the keys to the team!!!

No, I think there's a misunderstanding. or my poor grammar at work again. I've stated that he's no way a scrub because at worst; he's a rotational player. I believe he's more than that and a starter calibre player. In the end I see someone who will be overpaid by minimally given his contract. We don't have stars right now because our greatest assets on the team is a rookie (Val) who may or may not be a star at one point in his career. Lowry if he figures it out can also become a potential star. As much as it is a superstar league; we dont necessarily need multiple stars to get over to the top. Just one franchise player + great role players would be suffice and the great role players are all lined up. We don't have money to get substantial upg'rades but Demar is hardly the problem. The true problem lies in: KLeiza, Bargnani, Fields and Gray.

You are very optimistic. I guess I shouldn't waste my time with you anymore then. There is absolutely no way I can make you see it my way. Think whatever you want to think. It's within your right.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#44 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 am

Death Knight wrote:
DHK wrote:
Death Knight wrote:[quote="DHK"]Before the extension I was heavily wondering if Charlotte would do a DD for Henderson swap; Henderson fits in what Casey wants to do better then Derozan does..but anyway...its still too early to call; I'd give him this season and the next to prove himself. Right now he's still on his rookie deal.

If you're going to give each drafted player 5 years, then you're going to be stuck where you are for a very long time. You gotta be able to evaluate a player within 2-3 years. 5 years is way too long, especially for guards/wing player who are much easier to guage early in their careers. Bigs take longer to develop depending on how raw they are to begin with, but smalls usually show their true colors very early on. You're gonna wait 5 years? Then what? another 5 years?

It's not. Really. Demar is entering his fourth season right now and you aren't patient enough to wait one more season?
Look, when he was drafted we were all over him because of his potential; however it seems like he didnt fully live up to it. clearly he's not a superstar or even a perennial all star player in the making. Even Demar's biggest supporters have to admit that. That doesnt mean he can be a solid player in the NBA. He was picked as a freshman...he came in raw; with little seasoning and it wasn't like he came in NBA prepared and what you saw was what you're going to get for years to come.

I'm looking at past drafts and players like Larry Hughes, Richard Hamilton (both solid SGs at one point in their careers); they'd had atrocious 3-4 years in the league. In Hughes' case it took him 7 seasons before he finally figured it out. Richard Hamilton was an atrocious defender as a Wizard; his 3 point shot was brutal and all he had was a midrange game with little handles but then off he goes to Detroit and all of a sudden he's a world class defender in his fifth season, and by his 7th, one of the best SGs in the conference. Patience. It's hard given the amount of losing and the amount of shots he's missing in crunch time, but I'd give him a little bit of a leash before finally giving him away to another team for unknown assets

No player comes in the league prepared. But 3-4 years for me is enough time to see what a player can become and what a player can't become.

Larry Hughes? Richard Hamilton? Those guys were pretty consistent with who they were for the rest of their careers once they reached their 3rd-4th seasons son. Hughes was not an efficient player early on and never become one later on. Hamilton never had much of a 3pt shot his whole career. Midrange game off screens was what he was. Nothing really changed with them past their 3rd-4th year of development.[/quote]

Hit it right on the head brotha.
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 am

Death Knight wrote:
DHK wrote:
Death Knight wrote:

Larry Hughes? Richard Hamilton? Those guys were pretty consistent with who they were for the rest of their careers once they reached their 3rd-4th seasons son. Hughes was not an efficient player early on and never become one later on. Hamilton never had much of a 3pt shot his whole career. Midrange game off screens was what he was. Nothing really changed with them past their 3rd-4th year of development.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... lri01.html
Hamilton did suddenly develop a dangerous 3pt shot later in his careers; stats dont lie and made absolute strides after his initial struggle with the Wizards from offensive and defensive point of view. He was trying to do too much on the wizards and he was the focal player opponents tried to shut down and thus he struggled mightily and was inefficient as we're seeing from Demar.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ela01.html
Hughes was wildly inconsistent his entire career yes but there was a small time frame 2-3 seasons where he just "clicked" in his 5th-7th seasons and he was quite efficient offensively although he was mediocre at best defensively. He's a player that Demar may become; a player highly touted but never lived up to his full potential that people initially had of him coming into the NBA.

The point of these two comparisons is to say there's hope for Demar and stating that there's good chance he ends up being a solid starter for a solid team and he's infact not a "scrub" as some people suggest here.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#46 » by deeps6x » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:47 am

raptorfan416 wrote:raptor fans i tell you.. THE SAME THING WAS SAID ABOUT AMIR WHEN BC GAVE HIM THAT CONTRACT.. now who's saying anything about amir contract ? remember when people on here saying use the amnesty on amir ? raptor fans need to stop b#tching and crying after every loss. yes i know the losing is fustrating but my god after every damn time we lose a game it's 6 topics about a certain player being over paid or how crap that player is.. nobody says nothing when the team is winning, but the moment we loose a game all of a sudden it's this player is garbage, he can't do this he can't do that, the next time that same player goes on a run like jose did it's resign him, he's beast :-? face facts here most of the teams in the league got overpaid players on their roster... when the team is winning nobody is saying nothing but once the team loses a game it's who's on copping block now, if it's not brags its demar, if it's not demar its lowry, if it's not lowry its jose, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THE F*CKING BITCHING,THE CRYING AND CALLING OUT RANDOM PLAYERS AFTER EVERY LOST.. this team on a whole is an inconsistent team. name one consistent player on this team ? i rest my case.

The doude who posted right before you is saying that about Amir. I totally disagree. Amir IS worth that contract. I will also say that I also believed he was overpaid when he got it. I'm hoping DD keeps improving and starts to earn his extension next season. He has looked good against the crap teams this year, but very average against playoff teams.

The one consistent theme after all of the games, wins or losses, has been the BS refereeing. Stats prove it up as well with the Raptors being the most penalized team in the league by a healthy margin. This bias must stop. Bring in an unlimited challenge flag next season. We need a 'fairness' rule change like they have in the NFL. There, the refs know they can't get away with this crap because they can be challenged and embarrassed on National TV. Here, we just have a bunch of sap announcers making excuses for the refs. Call them out when they blow a call Devlin!
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#47 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:00 am

DHK wrote:http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... lri01.html
Hamilton did suddenly develop a dangerous 3pt shot later in his careers; stats dont lie and made absolute strides after his initial struggle with the Wizards from offensive and defensive point of view. He was trying to do too much on the wizards and he was the focal player opponents tried to shut down and thus he struggled mightily and was inefficient as we're seeing from Demar.

Hughes was wildly inconsistent his entire career yes but there was a small time frame 2-3 seasons where he just "clicked" in his 5th-7th seasons and he was quite efficient offensively although he was mediocre at best defensively. He's a player that Demar may become; a player highly touted but never lived up to his full potential that people initially had of him coming into the NBA.

The point of these two comparisons is to say there's hope for Demar and stating that there's good chance he ends up being a solid starter for a solid team and he's infact not a "scrub" as some people suggest here.

You're right, stats don't lie. Look at the stats then. They don't support your points at all.

Hamilton was wildly inconsistenty with hsi 3pt shot. Quite frankly he never took enough and made enough to qualify. But even if he did, look at those inconsistent percentages!

Hamilton 3pt shooting, rookie - current.
36.4%
27.4%
38.1%
26.9%
26.5%
30.5%
45.8%
34.1%
44.0%
36.8%
29.7%
38.2%
37.0%
40.7%

Do those look like consistent 3pt shooting to you? How do you go from 45.8% to 34.1% the next, and then 44%, only to go back down to 36.8%, eventually 29.6%, etc. And as a matter of fact if you pay more attention, Hamilton is a career 34.9% 3pt shooter. He was already shooting above his career average in his 1st year at 36.4%. He dropped his 2nd year, but went up again in his 3rd year, etc....nothing really changed with his 3pt shot for much of his career. There was no real development in it. He was an inconsistent 3pt shooter.

Hughes. So you're hoping for 2-3 year good years from DeRozan in a potentially 12-15+ year career? That's good enough for you?

EDIT: sorry for the edits. I keep having to go back on punctuations. Whatever.............if there's anymore, I'm just going to leave. You should get the point anyways.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#48 » by Wo1verine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:01 am

The deal was horrible then and is still horrible now..
BrunoSkull
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#49 » by Throwback24 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 am

Someone should bump the extension thread and you'll see a vocal minority that were VERY adament against the extension, me included.

BC should be fired for giving this non-starter an extension. He isn't worth more than the MLE.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
HiMyNameIsTrey
General Manager
And1: 12,646

Post#50 » by HiMyNameIsTrey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:06 am

Derozan seems like a system guy. Let's throw some money at Jerry Sloan.
TheForrestCity
Senior
And1: 383

Post#51 » by TheForrestCity » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 am

Bad drafting once again by BC... We passed on Holiday and JennIngs
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 am

Death Knight wrote:
DHK wrote:http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... lri01.html

You're right, stats don't lie. Look at the stats then. They don't support your points at all.

Hamilton was wildly inconsistenty with hsi 3pt shot. Quite frankly he never took enough and made enough to qualify. But even if he did, look at those inconsistent percentages!

Hamilton 3pt shooting, rookie - current.
36.4%
27.4%
38.1%
26.9%
26.5%
30.5%
45.8%
34.1%
44.0%
36.8%
29.7%
38.2%
37.0%
40.7%

Do those look like consistent 3pt shooting to you? How do you go from 45.8% to 34.1% the next, and then 44%, only to go back down to 36.8%, eventually 29.6%, etc. And as a matter of fact if you pay more attention, Hamilton is a career 34.9% 3pt shooter. He was already shooting above his career average in his 1st year at 36.4%. He dropped his 2nd year, but went up again in his 3rd year, etc....nothing really changed with his 3pt shot for much of his career. There was no real development in it. He was an inconsistent 3pt shooter.

Hughes. So you're hoping for 2-3 year good years from DeRozan in a potentially 12-15+ year career? That's good enough for you?

EDIT: sorry for the edits. I keep having to go back on punctuations. Whatever.............if there's anymore, I'm just going to leave. You should get the point anyways.

I do have a rebuttal unfortunately...haha
But yes, let's just agree to disagree, although I do understand your perspective and know the logic behind that train of thought, which is valid.
but youre right I try to be as optimistic as a raps fan can be because theres no gain just giving up and showing outright hatred for players as much as I hate the attributes of certain players on the team.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,195

Post#53 » by Mister Ze » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 am

TheForrestCity wrote:Bad drafting once again by BC... We passed on Holiday and JennIngs

I don't consider Jennings to be a slip, he's a score first point guard who hasn't managed to shoot 40% on his career. There's a reason the Bucks didn't offer him an extension. Holiday and Lawson would've been great but Demar wasn't a waste of a pick. He'd make a good role player but offering him 9.5M per season is nuts.

People did change their perception on Amir's contract but unless Demar somehow starts playing above-average his contract will haunt this team.
DHK
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by DHK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 am

TheForrestCity wrote:Bad drafting once again by BC... We passed on Holiday and JennIngs

More like Lawson and Holiday haha.
I still dont' get the hype behind jennings; he's just an above average player in my eyes. It has to do with circumstance though, the same reason why we passed on Drummond; due to the fact that we were loaded at that position, we lacked a SG after giving up Anthony Parker so picked based on need/best fit. I can't help but laugh at the fact that Calderon in a way has beaten his competition of players who would have beaten him for the starting PG by playing well enough to warrant BC to not pick a PG.
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#55 » by Greg Stink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 am

I remember BC saying he loved Holiday but he wanted a wing and he liked Demar.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#56 » by StopitLeo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm

It was the same mentality that led to "locking up" Bargnani.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#57 » by J-Roc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

StatLine wrote:Mediocre players around the league should be lining up to play for Toronto. Colangelo loves to overrate his guys and overpay.

Looking back, BC's "Euro" experiment was a better bad idea than this mediocre player experiment.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#58 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:08 pm

DD got paid handsomely for being annointed the face of franchise.
Franchise player=franchise salary

Thats what BC, Goodwin and DD were thinking.
Olufsen
Junior
And1: 29

Post#59 » by Olufsen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm

why couldn't BC at least wait for the offseason to sign him? smh :nonono:
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#60 » by HSOB SIRHC » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:40 pm

I just hope Ross isn't the one to go if BC decides to make a trade. Even though Ross isn't a young rookie, I feel he'll be the better all-around player between the two.
Credit to Turbozone

Return to Toronto Raptors