Wanna trade Josh Smith? HOU!

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Wanna trade Josh Smith? HOU! 

Post#1 » by parson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:37 am

The deal is Josh Smith to Houston for Omer Asik, Marcus Morris and Royce White.

ATL gets the true Center they need and stops asking if they can figure out how to use Smith. Asik helps the team make sense.

HOU, which is fading a bit lately, ends up in the lottery, since they'll have no Center. They dump 2 salaries (their 2nd and 6th-best PFs) that would get in the way of a max FA this offseason and become the frontrunners for Dwight Howard. Next season, they begin with Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smith/Howard AND a lottery player.

If HOU really wants Dwight Howard, they're prepared to trade Asik, anyway.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Re: Wanna trade Josh Smith? HOU! 

Post#2 » by N.O.R.E. » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 am

The only way Houston considers this is if they talk to Dwight's people and confirm his interest in playing alongside Harden and Josh Smith. PG could be addressed using Lin, their lotto pick and other young assets in a trade.
The Rox would be able to build a potential dynasty fairly quickly...

On the other hand, I see the Hawks doing this deal only if they talk to Dwight's people and realise there's no way he's coming home to play alongside Josh Smith. I think this is a pretty damn good package for Josh Smith and would give the Hawks plenty of flexibility to make further moves.
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#3 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:25 am

No thanks. You're saying it like it's a done deal that Dwight would choose the Rockets if we had Smith, but really it's far from a sure thing. The Rockets can just take a shot at Dwight this summer the way things are...And if by some crazy chance he agrees to sign here, THEN we could proceed to trade Asik for a PF upgrade.

You're more than welcome to have Royce though.
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#4 » by zapatasblood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:34 am

Want nothing to do with Smith
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#5 » by pja123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm

How about this variation...

Rockets get:
Josh Smith
Timofey Mozgov
Mike Scott

Hawks get:
Omer Asik
Marcus Morris
Donatas Montajeunas

Nuggets get:
Anthony Morrow
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#6 » by branny » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Br0ken_Sp0ke wrote:No thanks. You're saying it like it's a done deal that Dwight would choose the Rockets if we had Smith, but really it's far from a sure thing. The Rockets can just take a shot at Dwight this summer the way things are...And if by some crazy chance he agrees to sign here, THEN we could proceed to trade Asik for a PF upgrade.

That's a much safer way
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,333

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:53 pm

I cant imagine Houston trading Asik under any circumstances this season. Completely agree that if they reach a deal with Dwight that they would have absolutely no trouble moving him for good return. They could even potentially deal him to Atl in a S&T for Smith this offseason but I dont love the fit of those two together nor would I like the idea of essentially letting Dwight play GM.

I think people way overrate friendship in FA. Someone went so far yesterday as to suggest Boston trade Rondo for Conley so Boston would have an edge in signing Greg Oden.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#8 » by torotoe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

I love it for ATL, not too hot on this for Houston. If it helps em land dwight that's good.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#9 » by zapatasblood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 pm

pja123 wrote:How about this variation...

Rockets get:
Josh Smith
Timofey Mozgov
Mike Scott

Hawks get:
Omer Asik
Marcus Morris
Donatas Montajeunas

Nuggets get:
Anthony Morrow

zapatasblood wrote:Want nothing to do with Smith
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#10 » by BigLurch92 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Smith doesn't get you Asik. Especially since he is a free agent at the end of the year.

His trade value isn't this high IMO.
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#11 » by x- » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Br0ken_Sp0ke wrote:No thanks. You're saying it like it's a done deal that Dwight would choose the Rockets if we had Smith, but really it's far from a sure thing. The Rockets can just take a shot at Dwight this summer the way things are...And if by some crazy chance he agrees to sign here, THEN we could proceed to trade Asik for a PF upgrade.

This.

zapatasblood wrote:Want nothing to do with Smith

And this.
parson
RealGM

Post#12 » by parson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 pm

BigLurch92 wrote:Smith doesn't get you Asik. Especially since he is a free agent at the end of the year.

How high will Asik's trade value be if you sign Dwight Howard? Teams will know you'll have to trade him, since he'll be headed for a $15 million payout, which is a ton for a bench guy who'll would only play 10-15 minutes/game.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#13 » by Golabki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 am

N.O.R.E. wrote:The only way Houston considers this is if they talk to Dwight's people and confirm his interest in playing alongside Harden and Josh Smith. PG could be addressed using Lin, their lotto pick and other young assets in a trade.
The Rox would be able to build a potential dynasty fairly quickly...

I agree, value wise it doesn't make sense for Houston unless there is a clear plan to get Dwight. But, it seems like if that's the plan they may as well keep Asik for a Dwight S/T and sign Smith outright.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#14 » by phx#7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 am

parson wrote:
BigLurch92 wrote:Smith doesn't get you Asik. Especially since he is a free agent at the end of the year.

How high will Asik's trade value be if you sign Dwight Howard? Teams will know you'll have to trade him, since he'll be headed for a $15 million payout, which is a ton for a bench guy who'll would only play 10-15 minutes/game.

The number of teams who'd want Asik won't diminish if the Rockets sign Howard so it really wouldn't effect his trade value.
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#15 » by BigLurch92 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 am

The whole premise of this trade is questionable. Without a guarantee from Dwight and Josh to resigning they don't do it.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#16 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 am

I remember being told adamantly by the OP that Smith wasn't going anywhere last summer/early this season, despite me and many people doubting his long term future on the team.

It seems your unrealistic expectations for a trade package haven't changed much from when you asked for
Brook Lopez, MarShon Brooks and 2 #1.

Again.. he in an unrestricted FA that will want a Max contract. He is also starting to show his true colors again with the recent suspension and subsequent meeting between his agent and Ferry.

Most on Real GM said he is worth an expirer and a mid 1st back in August
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1203026

Not sure much has changed.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
parson
RealGM

Post#17 » by parson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 am

Trader_Joe wrote:I remember being told adamantly by the OP that Smith wasn't going anywhere last summer/early this season, despite me and many people doubting his long term future on the team.

It seems your unrealistic expectations for a trade package haven't changed much from when you asked for
Brook Lopez, MarShon Brooks and 2 #1.

Again.. he in an unrestricted FA that will want a Max contract. He is also starting to show his true colors again with the recent suspension and subsequent meeting between his agent and Ferry.

Most on Real GM said he is worth an expirer and a mid 1st back in August

Not sure much has changed.

Don't remind me of my posts if you won't admit to saying Joe Johnson couldn't be traded because no one would take his deal. You said he was aging, falling apart and his game was dropping. Then, you denied ever saying that when your team traded expirings (very valuable nowadays) for him. You made us a major player for FAs with that one trade.

Yes, I said Smith was not planning on being traded earlier. I don't think he was - or is. I think he's trying to blackmail the team to make changes to suit him - "Please me or forget your hopes of getting _______ to sign with you." With the recent trade whispers, I think Ferry is throwing it back at him. If you'll think about it, trading Smith for expirings and a blah 1st is a poor surrender when it means you're giving up on certain major FAs. We're better off waiting him out and trying to keep him. That hasn't changed. I still think Ferry wanted to use Smith to attract Dwight Howard. In the NBA, you're either a major team or you're nothing. We might as well swing for the fences.

However, I have - for years - said we'd trade him for a true Center. That's never changed, either.

And don't bother to tell me what "most" on RealGM say: you should know this site is filled with people who want to fleece the other team. EVERY time a rumor of a player leaving come up, tons of threads pop up, each one saying, "You have to trade ____ to us for this pitiful offer or LOSE HIM FOR NOTHING WHEN HE WALKS." There should be a stickied thread just for those offers.
parson
RealGM

Post#18 » by parson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 am

Trader_Joe wrote:Most on Real GM said he is worth an expirer and a mid 1st back in August

Since when does 39% mean "most?"
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#19 » by Trader_Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 am

parson wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Most on Real GM said he is worth an expirer and a mid 1st back in August

Since when does 39% mean "most?"

Sorry, it was the most common vote.

And I've asked you in the past to provide where I said that about JJ and don't think you ever did. Is he one of the worst contracts? Yes. But he's still a top 5 or so SG that the Nets traded for with Farmar who was bought out, Jordan Williams who was bought out, Stevenson who was a minimum salary player last season even after winning a title with the Mavs, Morrow who is a very limited player getting limited minutes, Petro who was our worst player, and a lotto protected pick we were gifted by Houston for Terrance Williams. In other words junk.

So...Do you think Smith will be on the Hawks next season?
And do you really think Houston would offer you that package? Or Lopez, brooks and 2 firsts from Brooklyn?

Also...if I did call JJ untradbale....just seeing Hedo, Lewis and others traded clearly it can happen and clearly I was wrong...if I did. And, I doubt I vehemently and angrily argued ..if I did. The only reason I remember your statement so clearly was because of the downright anger laden and defensive exchanges. What seemed like a fairly reasonable prediction that Atlanta was not part of Smith's future was dismissed in such a way that I have no problem bringing it up now.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#20 » by inquisitive » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 am

lol....rockets would rather trade for larry sanders and convert him to PF then getting Smith in a trade...he is free agent anyway
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI

Return to Trades and Transactions