ImageImageImageImageImage

Refs wtf?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,790

Refs wtf? 

Post#1 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 am

I watched the game in a bar by myself without sound (sheesh) so I don't know how much was being made of it in the telecast or in the game thread, but the refs seemed to me to be beyond unbelievably bad last night. And not just bad but biased. Intentionally or not I don't know, but some of those plays -

- the 2 drives by lowry where he was called for fouls when he was obviously fouled
- a catch and shoot by ed where they ruled the foul on the floor instead of an and-1
- the inbounding play to anderson

and there were others. those calls were so bad i don't know what to make of them. and that last horrible call undeniably cost us the game

Because as crappy as the raps played when they choked away their lead, they still had the win until the ref made an insane call with seconds left.

Is this what everyone else saw? I mean, how many games can literally be stolen from us? This is like the 3rd time. That's 3 wins unfairly taken from us by the refs in a half season. What the f*k is that?

If there was ever a time for Casey to lose it and get tossed from the game it should have been when the push on Anderson wasn't called. How do you let that pass? It was the game.

NBA refereeing is so completely laughable. i think the players just shake their heads. "Refs, wtf?"
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Re: Refs wtf? 

Post#2 » by kmatrixg » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 am

That Ed play was a bad one. He never brought the ball down and by most standards, that's an and-one play.
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#3 » by Chaos Engine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 am

Can't blame this loss on the refs, had another 19 point lead. This one is on Casey and the players.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#4 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 am

Chaos Engine wrote:Can't blame this loss on the refs, had another 19 point lead. This one is on Casey and the players.

of course the team and the coach screwed up
but they also got screwed
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,476

Post#5 » by Bankai » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 am

I could blame some players but I wont, I ultimately put the blame on Casey for this loss. Poor substitutions and poor wasting of timeouts because they couldnt even inbound the ball multiple times, and you got tired guys out there at the end with no reprieve of a drink, short rest, or guidance. Sure the refs could have called that, but once again the Raptors didnt have to put themselves in that position and they did. The icing was when Calderon had 3 open guys but passes it to AA who was trapped on the baseline by 2 guys and nowhere to go. In the end, the Raptors did it to themselves, even if the NBA apologizes again, the Raptors just cant let the refs win or lose the game for them.
zozo23
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#6 » by zozo23 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 am

It is just stupid to say you can't blame the refs, why? Referee was standing 2 meters from Anderson and didn't want to make obvious call that would most likely change the outcome.
Completely separate question is did Raptors made million other mistakes and instead of easy win they allowed refs to screw them.
They are definitely not good team and coach is questionable at least, but that doesn't mean that refs can call whatever they like.

NBA is most crooked league 100%.
Clementine9
RealGM
And1: 26,001

Post#7 » by Clementine9 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 am

The whole "Raptors blew it" argument is used every time the refs screw us over and that includes both times that the team has actually received apologies for the messed up calls. Not sure what these people are trying to defend. Yes obviously the Raptors lost the lead, but this happens all the time in the NBA. Teams, even good ones, will blow large leads multiple times throughout the season. Given that the Raptors aren't the most talented team, you can expect this to happen. However, EVERY NBA team has the right to fair calls in close games. Every team should expect quality calls at all points of the game, regardless of whether they're winning by a large margin, losing by a large margin, or have just blown a big lead.

Sure the Raptors put themselves in a position to be screwed over by the refs, but the refs shouldn't be screwing us over anyways. Close games are exciting and shouldn't be decided by atrocious reffing. Close games are by no means the luxury of everyone else and specifically not the Raptors. If we had have won, then the narrative would be that the Raptors may have blown a big lead but they showed poise down the stretch. Instead, we get bad calls and we aren't allowed to watch players working hard to guarantee the win and make up for losing their significant advantage.
Lateral Quicks wrote:Gradually JV's minutes will approach zero at the same time his points and rebounds approach infinity - a statistical singularity, if you will. Shrewd move from Nurse.
Orsk
Pro Prospect
And1: 444

Post#8 » by Orsk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 am

I stand by the hope that the refs have a mandate to screw us over. They need to keep us out of the playoffs so that we can win the lotto. They want us this year since its a week draft and they want to shut us up, just like 2006. Either this or stern wants to give OKC a high pick and keep that story exciting and growing. There is mo way the refs arent getting some instruction to stomp us out game after game. Its obvious the league is making calls to try and keep games.close but it seems that game after game they are not only turning the momentum against us but making rhese calls in crunch time.

Sent from Galaxy S2
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,195

Post#9 » by Mister Ze » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 am

Orsk wrote:I stand by the hope that the refs have a mandate to screw us over. They need to keep us out of the playoffs so that we can win the lotto. They want us this year since its a week draft and they want to shut us up, just like 2006. Either this or stern wants to give OKC a high pick and keep that story exciting and growing. There is mo way the refs arent getting some instruction to stomp us out game after game. Its obvious the league is making calls to try and keep games.close but it seems that game after game they are not only turning the momentum against us but making rhese calls in crunch time.

Sent from Galaxy S2

It's a weak draft class overall but winning the lottery would still net the Raptors a solid player as the draft is at least 4 players deep.

If the team blew it up and tanked for the remainder of the season in hopes of winning the lottery I wouldn't mind. Why fight for the 8th seed now and get destroyed in 4 games when you can continue building?
Orsk
Pro Prospect
And1: 444

Post#10 » by Orsk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 am

Master Ze wrote:
Orsk wrote:I stand by the hope that the refs have a mandate to screw us over. They need to keep us out of the playoffs so that we can win the lotto. They want us this year since its a week draft and they want to shut us up, just like 2006. Either this or stern wants to give OKC a high pick and keep that story exciting and growing. There is mo way the refs arent getting some instruction to stomp us out game after game. Its obvious the league is making calls to try and keep games.close but it seems that game after game they are not only turning the momentum against us but making rhese calls in crunch time.

Sent from Galaxy S2

It's a weak draft class overall but winning the lottery would still net the Raptors a solid player as the draft is at least 4 players deep.

If the team blew it up and tanked for the remainder of the season in hopes of winning the lottery I wouldn't mind. Why fight for the 8th seed now and get destroyed in 4 games when you can continue building?

Solid player yes, but there is a growing sense that there is no franchise changing talent. In that sense it is weak, not just the depth. Also to "continue" building you need to have already started. WE have been stagnant for the better part of 6 years. We really havent started to build, as to build you need to brrak it down first. We cant buildutil the likes of bargs, jose, fields, kleiza, even contracts like DD and amir, need to be gone. That wont or cant happen until BC is gone. Many are even starting to consider if DC who is meant ro be our coach of the future should be gone. This franchise is a mess and i dont like the term building nor the idea od continuing what weve been doing the last few years if that is what it implies. We need a REBUILD and it to be done right
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#11 » by KnickerBonkerz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Bankai wrote:I could blame some players but I wont, I ultimately put the blame on Casey for this loss. Poor substitutions and poor wasting of timeouts because they couldnt even inbound the ball multiple times, and you got tired guys out there at the end with no reprieve of a drink, short rest, or guidance. Sure the refs could have called that, but once again the Raptors didnt have to put themselves in that position and they did. The icing was when Calderon had 3 open guys but passes it to AA who was trapped on the baseline by 2 guys and nowhere to go. In the end, the Raptors did it to themselves, even if the NBA apologizes again, the Raptors just cant let the refs win or lose the game for them.

I ultimately put it on the coach (he doesn't deserve that title) as well.

-Puts the starters out to start 2nd half when the bench was HOT. Even calls a timeout but no subs. Lead dwindles. How many times have we seen him trot Gray and Pietrus out after they stunk it up, just because they were starting?

-Because he didn't ride the hot hands at start of 2nd, they end up playing from mid 3rd throughout overtime. If they had started the 2nd half we could've kept momentum AND they would've had a chance to rest.

-Quincy Acy nowhere to be seen in 4th when he was on fire. Coach decides to ride Amir and Ed for the entire 4th+Overtime

-Calderon inbounding? Seriously? How many times have we seen that fail? You're right also, Calderon had a chance to inbound it to I think it was Derozan, but instead he waits until the last second to give it to the guy falling out of bounds. If he had been more decisive there would've been at least a scramble for the ball and run some time off the clock. Bottom line is Calderon should NOT be inbounding.

What really has to bug people about this loss is they made the same mistakes they always make in these games. Dwane Casey did absolutely NOTHING different. I swear it's like the feeling of deja-vu watching this game, and I know other people have to notice it too.

If you could credit Jay Triano for one thing it was that he actually ran inbounds plays that worked so the PG could run the clock out. Dwane Casey gives it to the PG to inbound and there was NO play ran. I'd be surprised if that DID work.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#12 » by RedX » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Did the refs **** up another last second play? Yes.

Who is ultimately to blame for this loss? Casey.

He needs to go. Replace him with Gentry at least he gets a T fighting for his team.
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#13 » by JustaKnickFan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm

You can't blame it all on the refs. I saw a few illegal screens the Raptors had in that game, was surprised they never called that on them.

Also, in the 1st half Philly wasn't getting any calls.
T dot
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#14 » by T dot » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

This loss along with most of the losses is Caseys fault. I don't even blame the players. In this game again, the team was up 19 he takes out all his hot players just so he can put back his starters for the start of the 3rd and to top it off, he puts back his hot players after the lead is down to like 3. It shouldn't matter if the refs missed a call here or there cuz it was never supposed to be a close game like that if it wasn't for our horrible monkey head coach.
mango2209
Pro Prospect
And1: 287

Post#15 » by mango2209 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 pm

we can't always blame the refs.
We lost this one....we were up 19, down 1, up 9 again, then we couldn't inbound the ball..

same with the game before, we missed a couple of critical free throws down the stretch.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#16 » by Too Late Crew » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 pm

If the Refs wanted to give the game to the 6ers they had a prime opportunity when Holiday drove to the rim to tie the game and there was clear contact from amir inside the restricted circle. Contact on the shooter is a FOUL.If you are in the restricted circle contact is going to be a block not a charge. Easy within the rules opportunity to give Holiday and and 1 game over. What happens? NO CALL Why? Because the refs are not biased against the Raptors.

I have no issue with people saying refs make bad calls..they do. But the people who think its done intentionally because of some hidden agenda against Toronto need to take off the tinfoil hats. Have some refs in the past been caught shaving points? YUP

Is making calls against the Raptors an indicator of shaving points? Not in the least.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#17 » by lobosloboslobos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:Have some refs in the past been caught shaving points? YUP

Is making calls against the Raptors an indicator of shaving points? I don't know but I'm going to insist the answer is no even though I have absolutely no evidence just blind faith in the integrity of our referees despite indisputable proof that there are biases in how games are called at least some of the time.

fixed
ThereIsNoSpork
Banned User
And1: 1,482

Post#18 » by ThereIsNoSpork » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:20 pm

The refs were bad but I would never blame them in a situation like that. We had every opportunity to win this game. If we can't even make an inbounds pass that woulda won us the game after 2 tries we deserve to lose. Clownderon handed them the game. AA had 2 guys around him and he was almost out of bounds when Calderon passed to him. :lol: I bet most people felt it coming too. The guy ALWAYS manages to **** up inbounds passes somehow late in game. It's actually funny at this point.
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#19 » by Yoga » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm

The league sees more profit in OKC, San Antonio or Memphis winning -- than a team from Canada. Our biggest problem is that we are the only Canadian team and Americans are ignorant.

From the leagues point of view, who will tune in to see the Toronto Raptors in the NBA Finals from big markets like Los Angeles or New York? I hate how rigged it is
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Post#20 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Anderson wasn't fouled? Calderon, Anderson screwed that inbound play royal. Anderson was forced into terrible situation, got trapped, and Calderon made the worst possible decision. The moment he passed the ball you knew it was a TO.

Return to Toronto Raptors