SA/DET

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

retrolenny
Rookie
And1: 19

SA/DET 

Post#1 » by retrolenny » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:37 am

I can see SA trading their 1st round draft pick to Det for Jason Maxiell. No player needs to come to Det to make this happen as SA is under the cap. Max would be an upgrade to both Bonner & Diaw and is a guy who would thrive in Pops system. If it doesn't work out then Max expires at year end and all SA gave up was a late 1st rounder in a very weak draft. if it does then Det just gave up a player who will not be returning next year and can ship that late 1st rounder to CHA and keep their own pick. It makes great business sense to both teams. Thoughts??
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Re: SA/DET 

Post#2 » by franktony » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:21 pm

No

Maxiell is not an upgrade over Diaw and his rental for half a season is not worth a 1st round pick. I don't even think Maxiell has more value than Dejuan Blair, who SA has been shipping for some time now.

Plus, SA is not under the cap at all. SA is barely below the lux tax @ 69m and they cannot get Maxiell without sending salary back.

I could see SA using Bonner's semi-expiring + Blair and the 1st round pick to get a front-court upgrade. I just don't think the upgrade is Maxiell tbh.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#3 » by Spider156 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:24 am

^This guy up here doesn't know Max very well. I think this is a fair trade. He's an expiring and could definitely help the Spurs. He won't put them over the top like Prince would but he would definitely help. He's better than both Diaw and Blair. He's starting over Drummond and if you don't know him yet then you don't know Detroit Basketball. IMO, I think this is a good trade for both teams and I would do it.
Defense wins championships
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#4 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 am

Spider156 wrote:

He's better than both Diaw and Blair. He's starting over Drummond and if you don't know him yet then you don't know Detroit Basketball. IMO, I think this is a good trade for both teams and I would do it.

A few things:

-Starting over Drummond means next to nothing, can you honestly say Drummond is worst than Maxiel?
-Maxiel is averaging 8/6 on 47% shooting, not bad, but not exactly lighting the world on fire either.

Surely though, his defense much make him a huge upgrade over Diaw & Blair

Maxiel - DWS - 1.3
Diaw - DWS - 1.3
Blair - DWS - 0.8

...well, I guess not.

Just for comparison sake:
Noah (CHI) - DWS - 2.9
Duncan (SAS) - DWS - 3.0
Drummond - DWS - 1.6

When you compare Drtg (Defensive Rating, where less is better)
Maxiel - 104
Diaw - 103
Blair - 99
Duncan - 94
Noah - 97

I just...don't see it. Maxiel is a good role player, but the Spurs are the kind of franchise don't trade picks/valuable assets for marginal role players that don't really upgrade what they already have.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#5 » by franktony » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Spider156 wrote:^This guy up here doesn't know Max very well. I think this is a fair trade. He's an expiring and could definitely help the Spurs. He won't put them over the top like Prince would but he would definitely help. He's better than both Diaw and Blair. He's starting over Drummond and if you don't know him yet then you don't know Detroit Basketball. IMO, I think this is a good trade for both teams and I would do it.

Or maybe you don't know Diaw very well. Ask anyone in trade board who's the better player, Diaw or Maxiell. Diaw is passive, but in terms of skills Maxiell doesn't come close to Diaw.

Starting over a raw rookie doesn't mean anything. You think it's a good trade because DET is not going anywhere this season and Maxiell will be a UFA next season.

This is not a good trade for SA. Yeah the next draft is not great, but It doesn't mean SA should trade their 1st round pick for a 4th/5th BIG.

SA politely declines. Maxiell is not worth a 1st round pick
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm

I'd love to get a first rounder for Maxiell.

I don't think there's a GM in the league dumb enough to do that, and if there is it certainly isn't the Spurs GM.

Return to Trades and Transactions