MIN/MEM/JAZZ/WIZ

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

MIN/MEM/JAZZ/WIZ 

Post#1 » by Maefteda » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b4ubhnj

Timberwolves:

In: Gay, Millsap(exp), Seraphin, Bell(exp)
Out: Kirilenko, Williams, Ridnour, Roy(exp), Stiemsma(exp)

Minnesota get to go for the play-offs this year, with great talent coming in. Seraphin sorts out their need for a back-up center, and Millsap is a great replacement until Love is ready. Bell is an SG to use while Budinger is out. Bell and Millsap also comes off the books for next year, giving the Wolves money to sign Pekovic and Budinger in the off-season.

Grizzlies:

In: Kirilenko, Ridnour, Crawford, Roy(exp), 1st(via GSW)
Out: Gay, Conley

Grizzlies get what they want by getting under the cap and get adequate replacements to go for it this year. They get a nice 6th man option in Crawford off the bench, and probably the best player in Kirilenko. Conley has gotten some criticism lately and from what I understand Grizzlies fans are high on Wroten and feel that he could take a bigger role. Ridnour is a great stop-gap/back-up point guard.

Jazz:

In: Conley, Vesely
Out: Millsap(exp), Bell(exp), 1st(GSW)

Jazz get a better PG than they could get in free agency for Millsap's expiring contract. This gives them more room to play Favors/Kanter. They can also take a shot at Vesely at SF where they are pretty thin. They get rid of Bell who does not go along with the rest of the team.

Wizards:

In: Williams, Stiemsma(exp)
Out: Seraphin, Crawford, Vesely

Wizards are looking for a stretch 4 and I've seen plenty of fans on the Wizards board who would give up Seraphin, Crawford and Vesely for him. They also get Stiemsma who they can cut after the season, but provides a back up C for he rest of this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=avz9xuh

Timberwolves:

In: Gay, Seraphin, Burks, Bell(exp)
Out: Kirilenko, Williams, Ridnour, Roy(exp), Stiemsma(exp)

Grizzlies:

In: Kirilenko, Roy(exp)
Out: Gay

Jazz:

In: Ridnour, Vesely, Crawford
Out: Burks, Bell(exp)

Wizards:

In: Williams, Stiemsma(exp)
Out: Seraphin, Vesely, Crawford

Minnesota gets someone to create offense, and a good back-up C. No brainer for Grizzlies who probably gets the better player, while they move under the tax and get some cap for next season. Jazz get 3 good players for practically just Burks, while Wizards as we know would do Williams for Seraphin, Crawford and Vesely.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Re: MIN/MEM/JAZZ/WIZ 

Post#2 » by [RCG] » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Rubio/Barea
Shved/Bell
Gay/(Budinger)/Cunningham
(Love)/Millsap/Cunningham
Pekovic/Seraphin

Hmm... I could get behind it.

I don't think the Grizzlies would trade Conley though and the Jazz get too good of a deal IMO.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Maefteda
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Maefteda » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:35 am

Jazz have 2 picks this year, so they could always give up the pick they got from Golden State(18-25 ish) to the Grizzlies. Memphis needs to do something. This trade gets them under the tax especially for the next couple of years when Gay's contract will go up to 19 million. They could sign up Kirilenko for cheaper as well in the off season, and he would really fit them well.
grizzlies50
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#4 » by grizzlies50 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:33 am

Grizzlies will say 100% No thank you.
Grizzlies never trade Conley and Marc.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 am

I'd consider it for Utah, but that's a "no" from Memphis. They trade two starters and get back Kirilenko and some bench guys. I think that's too big a step back for them.
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#6 » by WizardsWorld » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:35 am

A big Yes from the Wiz......... but don't see the Grizz moving Conley.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,990

Post#7 » by shrink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I don't know if you can get the deal to work, but you have a lot of great stuff in this swap.

A Kirilenko - Gay swap is problematic though. I agree that Rudy Gay would provide things the wolves definitely need: a go-to (though inefficient) scorer, especially at ends of games, more athleticism to get outlet passes from Love and lobs from Rubio and Shved. However, Kirilenko has been vital to the wolves as well. The team needs defense perhaps more than O, and that will be even truer when Kevin Love returns. The wolves need AK's overall game - a selfless guy that does what's needed - and I think he is a good role model to everyone, particularly Shved who the Wolves really really like. Over on the wolves board last week, we unanimously voted him as the MVP of the season so far, and with a price-tag well under Gay's, I think moving him to MIN would be tough.

I'll say though that I like the UTA spin and Milsap in MEM. MIN could add value with just the Raja Bell part. I also like the Wizards spin as well - and it seems to reflect what many are saying on that board. This is a really good start with Conley out - you've created a lot of trade value here that could grease the wheels for a trade.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 158

Post#8 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Jazz like Conley....he is good....with a big contract.

Why in the hell would Memphis trade him?
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#9 » by ferk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Grizz may do it if they got a pick and this allows them to sign tyreke.
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm

The more I think about this trade, the more I realize just how finely-crafted it is .. if we could pare it back without Conley in the deal, and start making the appropriate cuts.

If UTA didn't get Conley, Millsap's out, but Veseley for Raja Bell has to be something UTA'd add value to. They'd also be a decent fit for Ridnour as well.

The WAS deal is something I've heard discussed a great deal, and I think it's fair. WAS would be a great fit for a team to gamble on Derrick Williams, especially if they could keep their main pieces (Wall, Beal, Nene, WAS 1st) out of the deal. These are all lesser prospects (Seraphin the best of the lot at showing flashes amidst mistakes). but it's a decent deal.

For MIN, it'd be Kirilenko (ouch) + Roy + Williams (ouch) + perhaps Ridnour to UTA, for Gay + most of the WAS assets, and something from UTA for Ridnour + Vesely while eating Raja Bell's dead money. That doesn't seem unfair, though I mentioned previously the value of Kirilenko to MIN, Gay would help in a different way. It's hard to understand MIN's direction now though.

So for MEM it'd be Gay for Kirilenko + Roy. It seems to me that if they could squeeze more cap savings out of the deal this year, this would kind of fit. It's be especially good next year, ifthey could get AK to renegitate to a 3 years at $8 mil/year .. about a $10 mil savings on Gay to keep them under the lux longterm, and maybe even be able to use their MLE.

I guess my point here to the OP is to not give up on this deal just from reading the negative. there is plenty of positive stuff in this trade, and I think it's something that you could maneuver to come up with a really good deal. Nice job, Maefteda.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#11 » by shrink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 pm

One last thought:

This deal was based around solving MEM's problem, but it smells to me like this could be a pretty good three-team deal without them?

Lots of players on these three teams that are moving to places where they'd have more value.
Maefteda
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Maefteda » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Added the GSW pick from Jazz to Grizzlies.

Grizzlies still needs to do something though. Right now they are into the luxury tax and not looking like a contender. With the pick added, they can either hope that they come over a good talent in the draft, or they can add it in a trade with Zbo or something.

I think it makes sense for the rest of the teams. Even with the pick, Jazz still have their own pick, and they get, as mentioned, a better PG than they would get in the free agency. They don't really have much use for either Millsap or Raja. Millsap is a great player, but Favors should be getting more minutes by now if he is going to develop. Vesely will also take a share of Millsap's minutes at SF, and could prove to be a good talent when paired with Conley.

We already know Wizards do this, and Timberwolves would fill a lot of holes. With the ability to sign both Pekovic and Budinger, they have good rotations on every position. Rubio/Barea, Shved/Bud, Gay/Gelabale, Love/Cunningham, Pekovic/Seraphin. Maybe even trade Barea instead of Ridnour if Grizz like Barea better.
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#13 » by ferk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 pm

I think it makes sense for the grizz imho.
The new owners want cap flexibility going forward .

They follow that up with zbo to the nets for hump,brooks and a 1st or something close.

Ridnour,bayless,wroton
Crawford,brooks
Ak,qpon
Humps,arthur
Gasol,mo

13m ish in caproom?
2 picks

I think that looks pretty good to me as a new owner.
Maefteda
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Maefteda » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

shrink wrote:The more I think about this trade, the more I realize just how finely-crafted it is .. if we could pare it back without Conley in the deal, and start making the appropriate cuts.

If UTA didn't get Conley, Millsap's out, but Veseley for Raja Bell has to be something UTA'd add value to. They'd also be a decent fit for Ridnour as well.

The WAS deal is something I've heard discussed a great deal, and I think it's fair. WAS would be a great fit for a team to gamble on Derrick Williams, especially if they could keep their main pieces (Wall, Beal, Nene, WAS 1st) out of the deal. These are all lesser prospects (Seraphin the best of the lot at showing flashes amidst mistakes). but it's a decent deal.

For MIN, it'd be Kirilenko (ouch) + Roy + Williams (ouch) + perhaps Ridnour to UTA, for Gay + most of the WAS assets, and something from UTA for Ridnour + Vesely while eating Raja Bell's dead money. That doesn't seem unfair, though I mentioned previously the value of Kirilenko to MIN, Gay would help in a different way. It's hard to understand MIN's direction now though.

So for MEM it'd be Gay for Kirilenko + Roy. It seems to me that if they could squeeze more cap savings out of the deal this year, this would kind of fit. It's be especially good next year, ifthey could get AK to renegitate to a 3 years at $8 mil/year .. about a $10 mil savings on Gay to keep them under the lux longterm, and maybe even be able to use their MLE.

I guess my point here to the OP is to not give up on this deal just from reading the negative. there is plenty of positive stuff in this trade, and I think it's something that you could maneuver to come up with a really good deal. Nice job, Maefteda.

Perhaps something like this?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=avz9xuh

Pek and Bud are RFA's so it depends how much money the other teams in the league will give for them. I think this trade is pretty easy to accept for all the other teams, but I'm not sure if it is right for Wolves. Both Burks and Gay could flourish in a new system though and Seraphin has a lot of potential. Burks could also be paired up with a 1st round draft pick to move up in the draft. Maybe secure Goodwin, McLemore would be a real stretch.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#15 » by GopherIt! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 am

AK47 > Gay

Return to Trades and Transactions