ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - 02/06/13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Re: Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - present) 

Post#901 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 pm

nate33 wrote:It's so tough when we're talking about Seraphin. Is he a hopeless tease of a player with too much tunnel vision and an inability to improve his bball IQ? Or is he a surprisingly skilled two-way player who can defend the post, block shots, nail jumpers with excellent accuracy, and score on the block, who only lacks the experience to react better to double teams?

I'd like to keep Seraphin to see how he improves the rest of the year with a real PG, and full team. If he works out his kinks, which shouldn't be insurmountable, he'll be a real force, and certainly have far more trade value. That said, if there's a chance to get anAnderson type talent for him (I don't see that), trade him and be happy.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#902 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:04 pm

fishercob wrote:Gotcha.

Well, George Karl probably thinks Miami should make the deal, nate. From Mike Lee's story on Nene's return to Denver:

Nuggets Coach George Karl said he would always feel a special connection with Nene since he relied on the 6-foot-11 forward during his own bout with throat cancer three years ago. But he was frank while explaining why the trade “had to made.” After the Nuggets traded Carmelo Anthony and started to rebuild the team, they wanted more from Nene. The expectations rose when Nene signed a five-year, $65 million contract in December 2011 and when they went unfilled, the team sought a younger alternative in JaVale McGee.

“I think Nene is a team player to a fault. I guess that’s the best way to phrase that,” Karl said. “When we kind of made all of the changes, we kind of wanted Nene to be more assertive and more demanding of his skills and the responsibility of the team. And I’m not saying he didn’t do that. He likes being a team guy.
“The situation came down to, when you’re reshaping a team, it’s better to go younger and that’s the choice management made and I was supportive of that,” Karl said. “I mean, I could’ve very easily kept Nene. I think Nene is easily a 14 [points] and 8 [rebounds], 14 and 9 guy. He’ll probably be that for the next three or four years. But sometimes, I think we wanted him to try to be an 18 and 12 guy. Sometimes, I think Nene enjoys being a major part of a good team and playing as a team. Sometimes, your best player has to say, ‘Give me the ball. Give me the responsibility.’ ”

That said, Bosh is both better and younger. Miami won a title last year with him and I think they think they can do it again (they may not have won last year were it not for Harden's dismantling of the Spurs -- SA owned Miami during the season last year and I thought they'd take them apart in the FInals). CHemistry would have to deteriorate further and the Heat would have to lose a bunch of games before they'd really consider this IMO.

I doubt Miami changes anything with their big three this year. I don't see anything other than normal mid-season woes on a championship caliber team right now. But wow, if they did want to move Bosh, we should definitely get at the front of the line.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#903 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:48 pm

miller31time wrote:I wouldn't have any problem at all including an unprotected 1st rounder along with Nene for Bosh.

If the opportunity ever presented itself to acquire not only a top-notch player but a top-notch player who would fit in seamlessly, you have to present a serious offer.

Nene (who, while a good player, is injury prone with a crappy contract) and a protected pick wouldn't get the deal done.

I think that's giving up to much! I am not big on bosh, plus miami will probably try to re tread some big's who are left on the open market or who might get cut or bought out later in the season. Word is they are looking a oden, another run with curry, nd some other options. We should not just hand them our first!
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#904 » by jivelikenice » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
miller31time wrote:I wouldn't have any problem at all including an unprotected 1st rounder along with Nene for Bosh.

If the opportunity ever presented itself to acquire not only a top-notch player but a top-notch player who would fit in seamlessly, you have to present a serious offer.

Nene (who, while a good player, is injury prone with a crappy contract) and a protected pick wouldn't get the deal done.

I think that's giving up to much! I am not big on bosh, plus miami will probably try to re tread some big's who are left on the open market or who might get cut or bought out later in the season. Word is they are looking a oden, another run with curry, nd some other options. We should not just hand them our first!

Can't Bosh opt out after next season?
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#905 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Does anyone think Okafor can be traded straight up and warrant a 1st rd pick, if so, how high do you think realistically?
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#906 » by nuposse04 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:57 pm

highest would be in the mid teens I suppose. I'm not sure it would really help us so much in this draft. I'd rather keep him for his rebounding and defense and just let him expire unless we're given a no brainer offer. If someone actually offered an expiring, or a decent player on a reasonable deal plus a 1st round pick, that I'd do it...but that won't happen, seeing as how EG can't run more than one team.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#907 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 pm

nuposse04 wrote:highest would be in the mid teens I suppose. I'm not sure it would really help us so much in this draft. I'd rather keep him for his rebounding and defense and just let him expire unless we're given a no brainer offer. If someone actually offered an expiring, or a decent player on a reasonable deal plus a 1st round pick, that I'd do it...but that won't happen, seeing as how EG can't run more than one team.

I'm not so sure about that, I think there are going to be some pieces that I could really help the Wizards out in areas mid to late in the 1st. I'm really starting to hope the Wizards load up on draft picks to grab good players at a good cost.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#908 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm

yes, but he would be giving up 42 mill, but i still don't want him. We need to not fall in the same old trap of trying to soon. IMO
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#909 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Does anyone think Okafor can be traded straight up and warrant a 1st rd pick, if so, how high do you think realistically?

I think Okafor could bring us back an expiring contract plus some minor incentive (2nd round pick), or an equivalent contract plus major incentive (mid 1st round pick).

The important thing when trading Okafor is to understand that if we dump his salary, it doesn't really leave us all that much better position capwise. As it stands now, we project to be about $4M over the cap and $8M under the luxtax (That assumes we let Webster walk. Sign him and the math changes accordingly.) If we dump Okafor, we will be about $10M under the cap, just barely more than the $5M provided by the MLE. It doesn't give us that much more flexibility, particularly if we choose to resign Webster.

If we dump Okafor, we need to find a way to dump Ariza along with him. That would free up $18M in cap room (minus the cost of Webster if applicable) and put us into position to be a major player in free agency.

If we can't dump Ariza along with Okafor, then I think we're better off just keeping them both. Either that, or trade Okafor for an equally bad contract (and worse player) plus a reasonably high pick or good prospect.

One of the big considerations is who is available in free agency. The big names are Chris Paul, Andrew Bynum, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith, none of whom would be interested in joining the Wizards. After that, we're talking about guys like Paul Millsap, J.J. Hickson, Al Jefferson O.J. Mayo, Kevin Martin, Tony Allen, JJ Redick and Dorell Wright. Of all those guys, I'm not sure how many of them help us more than Okafor would. Millsap is the only guy that really intrigues me.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#910 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:33 am

I agree with that. I mean i think a team with two picks or a contender would be willing to burn a first on him just to give them that rebounding edge and defense because that's how you will beat the heat. so yeah i think a team like the hawks might bite on him for a first and some junk filler that we will just release anyway. Teams like the hawks,C's, the spurs or OKA might take him and give up a first in the deal. But that would involve E.G. being smart enough to pull that off.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#911 » by verbal8 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 am

Could this be a destination for Jordan Crawford?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... h_Torn_ACL
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#912 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 am

verbal8 wrote:Could this be a destination for Jordan Crawford?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... h_Torn_ACL

I really don't think the Wizards have any intention of trading Crawford anytime soon.

Frankly, I would like to see how Crawford fares in a role where he doesn't have a green light at all times. We're going to get that chance now. Maybe he can be a bit more efficient. If he boosts his TS% from his current .513 to something in the .540 range on a slightly lower usage rate, he'll be a pretty decent ball player for us. On paper, he's a good fit as an instant offense guy for the 2nd unit who can steal a few minutes at PG in a pinch. There's nothing wrong with that.

It really boils down to his ego. Can he curtail his shot jacking tendencies? He probably hasn't really been asked to do so yet. Now he will be.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#913 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:04 am

what about this.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=agly7j3
Okafur for jackson blair and a first.

But i think this might be a good trade now that williams is down.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aulxe35
Okafur and Crawford for Petro, Zaza, Morrow and one or both of their firsts this year.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#914 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:25 am

We really need a mid to high tier scorer at this point. I'm looking at the free agency classes and we might as well just trade for Gay or Granger because there's nothing else out there for us in FA. It's pretty much Shabazz or bust in terms getting that guy in the draft, because with the way we're playing we've got no shot at Wiggins or Jabari next year.

It might be the best we can do.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#915 » by jivelikenice » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:08 pm

No need to rush an Okafor deal unless we're overwhelmed. His value will be greater in the offseason when he'll be an expiring deal going into the '14 offseason which will have the marquee players available
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#916 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 pm

jivelikenice wrote:No need to rush an Okafor deal unless we're overwhelmed. His value will be greater in the offseason when he'll be an expiring deal going into the '14 offseason which will have the marquee players available

I thought having the early termination option meant that he could opt out of the contract before the 2013-2014 season began.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#917 » by jivelikenice » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:01 pm

He won't opt out though at his salary....
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#918 » by fishercob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Like everyone else, I'm beginning to wonder about Cousins. With the move to Seattle in the offing, I wonder if the new organization decides that he's just not who they want as the face of their franchise as they make a fresh start, and trade him for a tanktastic package that will help their full rebuild.

Do you think they'd remotely consider:

Seraphin, Crawford, Booker, Vesely, Singleton, Wiz firsts in '13 and '15
for
Cousins, Salmons, Honeycut

Our rotation would be Wall, Beal, Webster, Nene, Cousins, Okafor, Ariza, Salmons and Price.
Okafor, Ariza and Salmons all come off the books after next year (only $1M of Salmons deal is guaranteed in the final year).

Going into next offseason, Nene and Beal would be our only 2 players under contract with Wall and Cousins up for extensions.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#919 » by Illuminaire » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm

If we mortgage the farm like that to get Cousins, we would be betting everything on him being the final cornerstone to make us a great team. Given the upcoming free agent crop and Nene's age, we could really only count on acquiring MLE-type guys to fill out the roster, OK to below-average roleplayers.

We've looked good the last five games but that's a big, big gamble to make. I don't want to send out two 1st rounders and two decent bench players for a big with Blatche's shot selection. Not when plan B amounts to "oh f***, now what?"
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#920 » by sfam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm

fishercob wrote:Like everyone else, I'm beginning to wonder about Cousins. With the move to Seattle in the offing, I wonder if the new organization decides that he's just not who they want as the face of their franchise as they make a fresh start, and trade him for a tanktastic package that will help their full rebuild.

Do you think they'd remotely consider:

Seraphin, Crawford, Booker, Vesely, Singleton, Wiz firsts in '13 and '15
for
Cousins, Salmons, Honeycut

Our rotation would be Wall, Beal, Webster, Nene, Cousins, Okafor, Ariza, Salmons and Price.
Okafor, Ariza and Salmons all come off the books after next year (only $1M of Salmons deal is guaranteed in the final year).

Going into next offseason, Nene and Beal would be our only 2 players under contract with Wall and Cousins up for extensions.

That deal seems insanely high to me. two firsts for Cousins? I really hope you're making both protected, like top 10 or something. If not, this deal wouldn't be about Sacremento dumping Cousins - they'd be selling high, very high in fact.

Return to Washington Wizards