ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#581 » by Dat2U » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm not worried about our lottery standing one bit. I wouldn't trade the pick either unless its for a legit stud.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not buying this stretch of four or five games. IMO this is a franchise that's still in desperate need of talent and is one if the worst managed franchises in all of sports. A nice little run doesn't mask the flaws of a team the managed to win 3 games out its first 30.

If I was a betting man, I'd still put money on the Wizards finishing with one of the five worst records this season.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#582 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'm not worried about our lottery standing one bit. I wouldn't trade the pick either unless its for a legit stud.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not buying this stretch of four or five games. IMO this is a franchise that's still in desperate need of talent and is one if the worst managed franchises in all of sports. A nice little run doesn't mask the flaws of a team the managed to win 3 games out its first 30.

If I was a betting man, I'd still put money on the Wizards finishing with one of the five worst records this season.

The open question the the rest of the season will answer is how much better does Wall make this team? If we finish in the bottom five, the answer is probably not that much. If we're sitting 6-10, I think you can make the case that Wall when partnered with people who can shoot becomes a marquee player.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#583 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Guys really.... No we should not give up this pick!!!! there is a lot of talent in this draft. So unless it is protected to the moon or we pick up some other picks we need to keep this pick. We just need to draft smart. We are still the worst team in the league, and there are no solid sob stories to rig the draft this year, so the point of us possibly winning the loto is actually fair. They wont hand over the first round pick to the kings, till next year when they are in Seattle so they can gift wrap wiggins for them. We should take advantage of other teams thinking that this is a bad draft and steal their picks, not give away our own!
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#584 » by popper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 pm

One problem I see with EG is he will be reluctant to cut the umbilical cord with Vesely, Singleton and Booker and trade them for a pick (and expiring if need be). A new GM might be more open to trading one or more of those guys to acquire another first round pick for instance. BTW, what gives with Singleton's PT? Is he in the doghouse?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#585 » by Dat2U » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 pm

sfam wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I'm not worried about our lottery standing one bit. I wouldn't trade the pick either unless its for a legit stud.

The open question the the rest of the season will answer is how much better does Wall make this team? If we finish in the bottom five, the answer is probably not that much. If we're sitting 6-10, I think you can make the case that Wall when partnered with people who can shoot becomes a marquee player.

Well considering the team has already almost won as many games with Wall then without, I'm not sure that's the real question or even a fair one. It's clearly the worst team in basketball by a significant margin without Wall. There's clear evidence of that.

My initial point was really about giving up the pick or assuming its not going to be a very high one. I'm saying its ridiculously early to assume that. Losing to a bad Sacramento team and beating a struggling Denver team on the road does not mean the rest of the season is going to be one huge feel good story.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#586 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Dat2U wrote:
sfam wrote:

Well considering the team has already almost won as many games with Wall then without, I'm not sure that's the real question or even a fair one. It's clearly the worst team in basketball by a significant margin without Wall. There's clear evidence of that.

My initial point was really about giving up the pick or assuming its not going to be a very high one. I'm saying its ridiculously early to assume that. Losing to a bad Sacramento team and beating a struggling Denver team on the road does not mean the rest of the season is going to be one huge feel good story.

I'm thinkin field of dreams, man. I just don't want us to do well enough that EG survives.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#587 » by sfam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 pm

popper wrote:One problem I see with EG is he will be reluctant to cut the umbilical cord with Vesely, Singleton and Booker and trade them for a pick (and expiring if need be). A new GM might be more open to trading one or more of those guys to acquire another first round pick for instance. BTW, what gives with Singleton's PT? Is he in the doghouse?

Hey, that's an awesome idea. Someone should tell Ted to consider, um, changing the GM. Seriously though, this would be like trying to convince Birthers that Obama is a US Citizen. For some reason, this doesn't look like its gonna happen. At least EG isn't as bad as Isaiah Thomas.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#588 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 pm

I'd love to get a 2014 pick... or multiple 2014 picks...
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#589 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Posing same question from 'trade thread' for more opinions. Does anyone think Okafor can be traded straight up and warrant a 1st rd pick, if so, how high do you think realistically?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#590 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Posing same question from 'trade thread' for more opinions. Does anyone think Okafor can be traded straight up and warrant a 1st rd pick, if so, how high do you think realistically?

No. He's 30 and he makes $14 million next year.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#591 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 am

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330190058

Watching Otto Porter right now.

Long. Can hit a 3. Defends and talks a lot on defense

Looks good.
hands11
Banned User

Post#592 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:05 am

sfam wrote:
popper wrote:One problem I see with EG is he will be reluctant to cut the umbilical cord with Vesely, Singleton and Booker and trade them for a pick (and expiring if need be). A new GM might be more open to trading one or more of those guys to acquire another first round pick for instance. BTW, what gives with Singleton's PT? Is he in the doghouse?

Hey, that's an awesome idea. Someone should tell Ted to consider, um, changing the GM. Seriously though, this would be like trying to convince Birthers that Obama is a US Citizen. For some reason, this doesn't look like its gonna happen. At least EG isn't as bad as Isaiah Thomas.

Right. There was never any chance of that happening. Specially before they got the roster out there healthy. And now that we are seeing it, you see why. Ted was on board with these moves. Why would he fire EG.

Talk of Ted firing EG this year was always nothing more then fairyland foolishness.

If Ted is going to make a change, it going to happen after EGs contract expires. That is why he only signed him to a two year deal. When he signed that, he was committed to that.

As for then trading Singleton. I don't see why they wouldn't. They don't play him. Unless he is doing stuff in practice that leads them to believe he has future value, why wouldn't they move him.

But honestly, I don't see them moving anyone right now. Right now they are focused on developing all the younger players. Wall just returned. The just got the full roster out there. Now its time for Randy to do his thing.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#593 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:29 am

As many guys as we have at PF/C right now I've gotta say I'm somewhat intrigued by Nerlens now, just in terms of having an active tall player who can finish what Wall is dishing him without holding onto the ball too long. Nene and Seraphin waste half the shotclock whenever they touch it.

Getting Shabazz is still ideal, but a close second is trading for a Granger/Gay tier player and drafting Nerlens.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#594 » by mhd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:34 am

Well, say we end up in the 5-10 range and Mclemore, Noel, Shabazz, and Len are gone, who do you take?
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#595 » by nuposse04 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:04 am

Poythress would be my guy.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#596 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am

Otto Porter
i think he could be a tayshaun prince type guy. You can do much worse than Prince IMO.
Like i said if we get a mid round pick i say we go after Kelly Olynyk.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#597 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:29 am

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#598 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 pm

hands11 wrote:Right. There was never any chance of that happening. Specially before they got the roster out there healthy. And now that we are seeing it, you see why. Ted was on board with these moves. Why would he fire EG.

Talk of Ted firing EG this year was always nothing more then fairyland foolishness.

If Ted is going to make a change, it going to happen after EGs contract expires. That is why he only signed him to a two year deal. When he signed that, he was committed to that.

As for then trading Singleton. I don't see why they wouldn't. They don't play him. Unless he is doing stuff in practice that leads them to believe he has future value, why wouldn't they move him.

But honestly, I don't see them moving anyone right now. Right now they are focused on developing all the younger players. Wall just returned. The just got the full roster out there. Now its time for Randy to do his thing.

The Wizards should trade your "future heart of the franchise" Jan Vesely, before trading Singleton. The OKariza trade ensured that there would be little to no development minutes for Singleton - a player to develop for that position should Ariza be traded or opts-out.

Since the Wizards are the only team that does not send their players to the D-League, CS and Vesely can nothing but languish on the bench.

I am hoping that we make-uo for the 3 botched picks in the 2011 draft with a stud Wing player in this draft.
hands11
Banned User

Post#599 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Dark Faze wrote:As many guys as we have at PF/C right now I've gotta say I'm somewhat intrigued by Nerlens now, just in terms of having an active tall player who can finish what Wall is dishing him without holding onto the ball too long. Nene and Seraphin waste half the shotclock whenever they touch it.

Getting Shabazz is still ideal, but a close second is trading for a Granger/Gay tier player and drafting Nerlens.

I am going to try to catch some Nerlens games.

The team is missing a defensive tall, long big at center who can block and rebound for the longer term.

Or you trade for that player. Looking over who is out there, Gortat would be a good target.

I would consider letting go of Ves and Singleton to get him. PHX just getting started in a rebuild. They need to stink for a couple years to find some gems in the draft. They will likely end up one of the two worst teams in the league in a battle with Charlotte so they can draft a center. Plus PHX has always been a running team in Ves can run like Forest Gump.

Wall/Price/Temple
Beal/Crawford
Trevor A/Webster
Nene/Kevin/Booker
Gortat/Okafor

Depends on if we get to keep our pick but if we do, we can get one of the young centers or a SF like Otto. Not looking like we get a top 3 pick this year. My guess is something in the 6-9 range.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#600 » by jivelikenice » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 pm

hands11 wrote:http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330190058

Watching Otto Porter right now.

Long. Can hit a 3. Defends and talks a lot on defense

Looks good.

I love Porter...think he can be better than Prince. His shot has come along a great deal and his length would be great at the 3 for us. I also think his offensive upside is better than a 3 and D type. He had a couple of iso opportunities yesterday and off the dribble was able to get good jump shots off. A couple rimmd out but the talent is there and the Princeton office probably hurts him...he's also a rook that would fit in and play within a team concept....he's and ideal mid lotto pick IMO.

Return to Washington Wizards