2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#41 » by Icness » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm

gswhoops wrote:Any word on the street for the Niners?

Also, what's your take on AJ Jenkins? Is he just coming along slowly or totally useless?

Don't know about their intentions. They had exactly two regional scouts in St. Pete, that's it.

I talked to AJ Jenkins position coach from the Shrine Game last year about him. He said when teams asked him about Jenkins he thought he might make a good #3 receiver at some point, maybe a 4th or 5th round pick. He told me when he saw the Niners took him in the 1st he spit-taked some Chinese food in disbelief. I agree with his assessment. They drafted him at least 40 picks before anyone else was going to consider him.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#42 » by [RCG] » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 am

Where do you see Da'Rick Rogers going and how does he compare with Justin Hunter and Corradelle Patterson?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#43 » by Icness » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:21 pm

[RCG] wrote:Where do you see Da'Rick Rogers going and how does he compare with Justin Hunter and Corradelle Patterson?

Rodgers is a variable at this point. Interviews and his agent will be huge for him. He is definitely a better overall talent than Hunter, bigger/stronger/faster and more consistent. But he is a world-class problem child. Drug arrests, suspended by coaches four times for insubordination and one questionable assault on a coach that both sides played down. I have consistently mocked him in the middle of the 2nd.

Hunter is good-not-great. Inconsistent. Very rarely catches the ball cleanly with his hands. I love his gear-changing on his routes and he's crafty after the catch. Guessing he goes very early 2nd round.

Patterson is going to be the first WR taken when all is said and done. Could be a top 12 player, sky-high ceiling. His quickness for a 6'3" (probably closer to 6'2" though) is freakish, instant top speed and can cut sharply at top speed. Strong, long-armed, very strong hands. He needs some polish and a good veteran mentor but Patterson has better natural ability than Michael Crabtree or Roddy White.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#44 » by catalyst » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Icness wrote:
[RCG] wrote:. I have consistently mocked him in the middle of the 2nd.

I was reading and thought you were just mocking him in general, not in a draft. Got a good funny
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#45 » by Da Schwab » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 am

Ace Sanders declared today. Kind of small, but he's got some great quickness and burst from what I saw in the Outback Bowl. Where do ya see him going?
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#46 » by Da Schwab » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:45 am

Ace Sanders declared today. Kind of small, but he's got some great quickness and burst from what I saw in the Outback Bowl. Where do ya see him going?
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#47 » by ohara » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 am

Ace was huge for the Gamecocks this season. Has good hands as a WR, and his kick return ability is a huge part of his value. He has the ability to take one back anytime he is back there. I could see him going on day 2 in the 3rd round.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#48 » by ATL Boy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

ohara wrote:Ace was huge for the Gamecocks this season. Has good hands as a WR, and his kick return ability is a huge part of his value. He has the ability to take one back anytime he is back there. I could see him going on day 2 in the 3rd round.

I wouldn't mind if the Falcons took him, the only thing keeping our return game from being complete trash is Jaquizz Rodgers
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#49 » by Icness » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Da Schwab wrote:Ace Sanders declared today. Kind of small, but he's got some great quickness and burst from what I saw in the Outback Bowl. Where do ya see him going?

I love Ace Sanders, very undervalued at this point. Should be a top 50 pick. Excellent natural slot receiver with great hands, cat quickness. Plus he's an outstanding return man.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#50 » by SpeedyG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Icness wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Jeff, any feel for Caldwell's thought process when it comes to the draft?

With how tightly close the guys are up top, I'm really intrigued by which way he and the Jags go.

The CW is that Khan hired him to make the team sexier and better at the same time, which means high-end playmakers. To me that says Dion Jordan or Dee Milliner at #2, not Star Lotulelei or Bjoern Werner. I'll see some new Jags guys this coming week at Senior Bowl and have a better idea then, hopefully.

Have already heard they are very open to moving back, and if Joeckel doesn't go #1 they'll get offers.

The more I read about the Seahawks 4-3 LEO defense, the more I think Dion Jordan makes sense at #2.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#51 » by Icness » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 am

Dion Jordan at #2 could really happen. He's also in play at 5 & 6.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#52 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:37 am

Do you have any sense of what is happening with Jarvis Jones? Medical clearance can be a tricky thing but what are some initial thoughts on his stock?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#53 » by Icness » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm

[RCG] wrote:Do you have any sense of what is happening with Jarvis Jones? Medical clearance can be a tricky thing but what are some initial thoughts on his stock?

I doubt he goes top 10. He could fall a lot longer than anyone thinks. Aside from the neck issue he's overrated as a prospect by the general public. He's a huge variable, could go 8th, could go 30th. I know Mel Kiper mocked him to the Lions at #5 but that is not happening.
reeDfense
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#54 » by reeDfense » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Icness wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Do you have any sense of what is happening with Jarvis Jones? Medical clearance can be a tricky thing but what are some initial thoughts on his stock?

I doubt he goes top 10. He could fall a lot longer than anyone thinks. Aside from the neck issue he's overrated as a prospect by the general public. He's a huge variable, could go 8th, could go 30th. I know Mel Kiper mocked him to the Lions at #5 but that is not happening.

you sir are wrong.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#55 » by Icness » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 am

reeDfense wrote:
Icness wrote:

you sir are wrong.

I'll bet you very good money I'm not. Talked to three different NFL people today at the Senior Bowl who will not take him 1st round, medical risk too much for their palate. I know it only takes one but that one will not be that high.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#56 » by gswhoops » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Jeff, if you were calling the shots how would you rank these guys (first round DE/OLBs)

Demontre Moore
Bjoern Werner
Dion Jordan
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekial Ansah
Sam Montgomery
Alex Okafor

Are any/most of these guys limited scheme wise, to say a stand-up or hand-down role?
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#57 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 pm

On that subject, where do you think Quanterus Smith goes? Obviously I think his injury will hurt him, not being able to work out for teams but I think he can be a great value pick in the later rounds. Your thoughts?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#58 » by Icness » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 pm

gswhoops wrote:Jeff, if you were calling the shots how would you rank these guys (first round DE/OLBs)

Demontre Moore
Bjoern Werner
Dion Jordan
Jarvis Jones
Barkevious Mingo
Ezekial Ansah
Sam Montgomery
Alex Okafor

Are any/most of these guys limited scheme wise, to say a stand-up or hand-down role?

1. Moore
2. Mingo
3. Werner
4. Jordan
5. Montgomery
6. Jones
7. Okafor
8. Ansah

Mingo is strictly a linebacker, Jordan probably is as well at least early on. Jones is a 4-3 OLB to me. Montgomery is a 4-3 RDE only. Okafor is a DE that can slide inside a la Tuck & Peppers.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#59 » by Icness » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

[RCG] wrote:On that subject, where do you think Quanterus Smith goes? Obviously I think his injury will hurt him, not being able to work out for teams but I think he can be a great value pick in the later rounds. Your thoughts?

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2012/1 ... ng-report/

I didn't write that but I edited it. He's already rehabbing ahead of schedule. 4th-5th round pick.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#60 » by studcrackers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Perhaps I'm off base here but why exactly did none of the coordinators in the conference title games get interviews for HC jobs? Don't understand why teams wouldn't wait on a guy like Fangio or mike Nolan (who I think deserves another shot) or the falcons oc
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes

Return to NFL Draft