ImageImageImageImageImage

Copeland Article from NY Post (1/14/13)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

KnickMan
Pro Prospect
And1: 204

Copeland Article from NY Post (1/14/13) 

Post#1 » by KnickMan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:05 am

How many guys wanted to see this guy cut? "He can't play defense, he is scrub, blah, blah, blah."

All this kid has done was perform when called upon and make the team that much deeper. I think that if continues to improve and show effort on defense, he may stay a quasi-rotation player at least during the regular season. Even Melo acknowledged his scoring prowess. It is like we had a 1st or 2nd round pick but for a fraction of the cost.

Copeland Totes Scoring Load for Knicks (I didn't see this posted, my apologies if it was)
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/rook_key_j1ELrwC5m8C7gjRaDEwJbP

He may be 28, but Chris Copeland is undoubtedly an NBA rookie. There are several clues. The ever-present pink backpack is a bit of a giveaway. So too is his participation in any “optional” practices.

“Nothing is optional for me. Rookies don’t have options,” Copeland said, laughing, when asked about maybe catching a break when the Knicks go to London this week.

Lose the backpack and those practice sessions and there was very little about Copeland that screamed “rookie” during yesterday’s 100-87 victory over the Hornets at the Garden.

Right off, Copeland started. Next, he contributed — in a big, big way. He was the second-leading scorer behind Carmelo Anthony, delivering 22 points — 11 of them in the first quarter when the Knicks averted disaster as New Orleans dropped 29 points on their noggins. Copeland threw in seven more points in the fourth quarter, five of them in the first 2:18 of the session when the Knicks pulled away.
LATE RISER: Finally getting his NBA shot at age 28, Chris Copeland made the most by stuffing 22 points into the Knicks’ win over the Hornets yesterday.
NY Post: Charles Wenzelberg
LATE RISER: Finally getting his NBA shot at age 28, Chris Copeland made the most by stuffing 22 points into the Knicks’ win over the Hornets yesterday.

“I don’t think it’s easy to step into a starting job and act like you’ve been there. He shot the ball with confidence,” teammate Steve Novak said.

“He was great. I gave him an opportunity to start again and he stepped up and made plays offensively, rebounded a few,” coach Mike Woodson said. “He was pretty solid. I was very pleased with Cope.”

“He knows how to score,” Anthony said. “That’s one thing he knows.”

And yet, as Copeland spoke after his fourth start of the season, after the third 20-point effort of his career (two of them in starts), there was the rookie symbol pink backpack, the one adorned with the Barbie-like caricatures.

But after stints in Europe and the D-League, Copeland, the Newark product who graduated from Colorado nearly seven years ago, would wear a “ROOKIE” neon sign for the chance the Knicks have provided. He doesn’t always play, but he has a role. Sometimes as a starter, sometimes off the bench. He looks for veteran guidance.

“It’s challenging, but my teammates help me through every step of the process. Honestly, I don’t say it just to say it. It’s for real. The vets behind the scenes from Rasheed [Wallace] to Kurt [Thomas] to Marcus [Camby], my three wise men,” said Copeland, who shot 9-of-15, including 4-of-8 on 3-pointers. “Those are my guys. They really help me stay focused as well as the whole team.”

Copeland repaid the confidence the team has shown in him almost immediately yesterday. Anthony (27 points) began terribly with a 1-of-10 shooting start. And the early defense again had Woodson chugging antacids. The Knicks needed something. Copeland responded, hitting shots, helping spread the floor.

“It’s cool. Anytime we’re moving the ball and everybody is involved in the offense, we play better,” Copeland said. “At the end of the day I try to fill that role whenever I’m called upon.”

Whether he’ll be called upon to start anytime soon is unclear as Woodson has juggled his lineup based on matchups and player availability.

“It’s for sure a challenge but whatever Coach asks me to do, I’m here for. I don’t question anything. I’m just glad he gave me an opportunity today and it worked out.”

fred.kerber@nypost.com

I love the fact that our veterans are in his ear teaching him the ropes and giving him encouragement. I know he is 28 but I think he is going to get better, because he is really hungry and is willing to put in the work.
"Tier 1 Asset Accumulation"
http://www.greatfinancialoptions.com
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Re: Copeland Article from NY Post (1/14/13) 

Post#2 » by fdr2012 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 am

I'm actually warming up to starting him. Felton/Shump/Copeland/Melo/Chandler. This lineup gives us scoring, spacing and size. Then we bring Amare off the bench with Kidd and Camby.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#3 » by blueNorange » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:13 am

he still can't play a lick of defense and when he puts the ball on the floor, 90% of the time it rolls off his foot
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#4 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59 am

blueNorange wrote:he still can't play a lick of defense and when he puts the ball on the floor, 90% of the time it rolls off his foot

LOL. That is true. Sad but true.

"Duh Winning"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
falcindor
General Manager
And1: 144

Post#5 » by falcindor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 pm

I dont think he has a long future with the Knicks. I think teams will call to have him included in trades. If he makes it throgh the summer id be suprised.
Sundov
Junior
And1: 55

Post#6 » by Sundov » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 pm

He is an Al Harrington clone. Once we are full strength he might not get any minutes, but he can score. He could do well on a **** team that are lacking offense like Charlotte or Washington.
Knicks.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 4,906

Post#7 » by sol537 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:36 pm

he's a steal for where we picked him (yeah I know we didn't pick him lol)

I like his attitude, hard work, and his feel for the game. Those are things that a lot of rookies miss out on. I think it helped his toughness by playing in Europe and having to work to get here. I've seen improvements in his defense, rebounding, and his offensive decision making over the course of the season.

Woody is going to keep riding him in the starting line-up until he shows he doesn't belong. So far he's been a plus. He's a much more difficult cover than Novak IMO because he can shoot from 3, mid-range, and he can take it to the cup against bigs. There aren't that many 6'10 guys who can do what he does on the offense.

He's no scrub... I think he's proven that much already.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

i like him more, but he's still not a good defender
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,911

Post#9 » by NYKinMIA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

The Cope can score, you can't teach that. Hell, if even Amar'e can improve some on defense...as we've seen, no reason to think this kid can't. Plus you have to love that 2' chin he has. :lol:
Keep Cope Alive is my MLK Day refrain!
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#10 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I think he has a role in the NBA. It's a nice story. Don't like him starting because he's not a good defender and Knicks need to set that defensive tone early...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
hustlenflow
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#11 » by hustlenflow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm

He reminds me of Lee Nailon as far as his role goes. He's a versatile scorer, and has a real nice jumper, everything else is pretty mediocre.

I think he'll stick though, his offense is a good spark off the bench, he'll land somewhere even if its not with us.
CPThree wrote:OH I'M JERKING TO THIS DON'T EVEN CARE THAT MOMS IN THE SAME ROOM
-- On Lin's Game Winning 3 Against the Raps
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,545

Post#12 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:05 pm

NYKinMIA wrote:The Cope can score, you can't teach that. Hell, if even Amar'e can improve some on defense...as we've seen, no reason to think this kid can't. Plus you have to love that 2' chin he has. :lol:
Keep Cope Alive is my MLK Day refrain!

Yep. Hopefully Sheed, Camby and Kurt can earn their paychecks with some defensive tutoring. Grunnie knows how to pick em.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#13 » by EchelonNYK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm

Another overrated Knick.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#14 » by Greenie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Another overrated Knick.

Who's overrating him?
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 292

Post#15 » by Nostrand Ave » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 am

I'm not interested in players who can't play ANY defense.
BourneNYKFan
Senior
And1: 9

Post#16 » by BourneNYKFan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:45 am

Nostrand Ave wrote:I'm not interested in players who can't play ANY defense.

I guess that would be 45% of NBA players, yes? Cope is really trying over the last few games of consistent minutes. He comes in and gives us instant offense, but struggles on defense just like Novak did last year and this season as well. Given a full NBA season under his belt and if he continues to show no appreciation for defense, then, yes let him walk.....someone will be waiting outside MSG for him though.....
JamesDolan wrote:
I am responding to the uneducated buffoon that couldnt argue his way out of a paper bag...
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#17 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:56 am

He's certainly not overrated, he is what he is right now, a scoring threat who has never been in a position to have to defend.

But he does have the basics, so he has chance to be serviceable, and really that's all he needs to be.

I do like him starting because he balances out the roster, certainly doesn't hurt the lineup.

As much as the team needs defense, they also need points and not just from one place.

I think Woodson likes him though, I'd be surprised if he were dealt, unless it's for a big man in return.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#18 » by frothbrain » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 am

Copeland haters fall back.

Enough with the exaggerations about his lack of defense.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#19 » by TheToothFairy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:02 am

I like Copeland.

Put him in a team like Orlando and he would be dropping 20ppg
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:05 am

Copeland makes Amare look like Scottie Pippen on defense.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.

Return to New York Knicks