Kobe says he could beat LeBron 1 on 1 - what do you think?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who wins 1 on 1?

Kobe
37%
LeBron
63%

Total votes: 161

doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Re: Kobe says he could beat LeBron 1 on 1 - what do you thi 

Post#101 » by doozyj » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:
doozyj wrote:Prime Kobe would absolutely wreck Lebron, it's what Kobe does.

He never wrecked LeBron while in the NBA

Irrelevant, we are discussing 1 on 1. Lebron never won 5 rings either. See how irrelevancy has no place in the discussion.

Kobe is a 1 on 1 iso player, that's what he does and he does it better than anybody in the world. That is his forte. Lebron doesn't have to be the best at everthing as most people these days just assume because he is the face of the NBA. Prime Kobe would wreck Lebron, even todays Kobe would probably beat Lebron, his post up game is remarkable, his footwork is second to none his and fade away jumpshots are his specialty. The guy is has been constantly double and triple teamed ever since being in the NBA. He can handle 1 defender. Period.

All this talk of Lebron backing Kobe down is BS, the guy isn't a good post up player, if he was any good at that then he would genuinely be the best ever to play the game, but in reality his strengths are in transition basketball, court vision and passing. And what is withh all this talk about being bigger, if that was the case Shawn Bradley would beat Lebron on 1 on 1.

So again my opinion stands.
imchillin
Banned User
And1: 28

Post#102 » by imchillin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:18 am

doozyj wrote:
TheOUTLAW wrote:

Irrelevant, we are discussing 1 on 1. Lebron never won 5 rings either. See how irrelevancy has no place in the discussion.

Kobe is a 1 on 1 iso player, that's what he does and he does it better than anybody in the world. That is his forte. Lebron doesn't have to be the best at everthing as most people these days just assume because he is the face of the NBA. Prime Kobe would wreck Lebron, even todays Kobe would probably beat Lebron, his post up game is remarkable, his footwork is second to none his and fade away jumpshots are his specialty. The guy is has been constantly double and triple teamed ever since being in the NBA. He can handle 1 defender. Period.

All this talk of Lebron backing Kobe down is BS, the guy isn't a good post up player, if he was any good at that then he would genuinely be the best ever to play the game, but in reality his strengths are in transition basketball, court vision and passing. And what is withh all this talk about being bigger, if that was the case Shawn Bradley would beat Lebron on 1 on 1.

but kobe didn't play Lebron to get his rings and so yes its irrelevant. kobe's lakers lost alot to lebron's cavs too

Prime kobe, prime lebron whatever, lebron still wins, strength, defense, length. Kobe might never get a rebound unless it falls into his hands, seriously don't see how kobe wins..

Lebron would go pistons ECF lebron on kobe
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#103 » by doozyj » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:40 am

Kobe would go 2007 Finals Spurs on Lebron.
imchillin
Banned User
And1: 28

Post#104 » by imchillin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:43 am

doozyj wrote:Kobe would go 2007 Finals Spurs on Lebron.

more like game 7 finals Boston Celtics when Artest saved his legacy. Kobe too small for lebron man...please
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#105 » by eagereyez » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am

How is this a debate? Lebron would murder Kobe simply because he's bigger/faster and will win the battle under the rim 90% of the time. It's like putting Lebron against Shaq, Shaq would murder Lebron by simply backing him down under the rim unless Lebron never misses a fadeaway jump shot.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#106 » by Don Ford » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 am

Kobe's definitely more of a one on one player than LeBron so I think that a prime Kobe would beat a prime LeBron 1 on 1. But Kobe isn't in his prime anymore and LeBron is right in the middle of his so I'm not sure who would win right now. Would certainly like to see it though. I wish that they would add a 1 on 1 tournament to the AS game activities.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#107 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 am

doozyj wrote:
TheOUTLAW wrote:

Shawn Bradley was not big at all. He was actually quite tall but thin. LeBron is both bigger and taller than Kobe not to mention stronger.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#108 » by Kobe Bean » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:48 pm

This thread...smh

Kobe is easily a top 3 1v1 player of a time in his prime

1v1 isn't so much about physicality than it is about the combination of it and skill, with skill level
being much more important at any stage above pick-up ball. I'm 6'3 and I've been playing ball at a club for 10 years now. Got frequently torched by little 5'9 guys with a superior shot/post game and frequently beat guys much taller than me. Point being, unless you have the mismatch advantage of a god damn 7 footer or Karl Malone your size and athleticism advantage don't exactly matter much, provided you're in basketball shape yourself.

Prime Kobe would roast LeBron the same way 1-armed Kobe torched T-Mac in 2004. He was a 235 lbs elite defender at that stage of his career and would force LeBron into jumpshots/post shots that he's much more comfortable shooting than Bron has ever been. Old man Kobe could still make it a game but the only reason Bron would win is because KB's legs won't be able to keep up for that long.

I mean seriously, 1v1 prowess is the one thing you can't take away from Kobe yet people still go with LeBron, who for a perimeter superstar has an average 1v1 game at best. LeBron is a better all-around NBA player than Kobe has ever been, but one on one? No.frickin.way
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#109 » by john248 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:56 am

Right now if both were to play a best of 7, I'd pick LBJ to win 4:2. If it were prime vs prime, I'd flip a coin for game 7. LeBron isn't going to murder Kobe as some suggest. There will be plenty of instances where LeBron overpowers Kobe just as there will be plenty of instances where Kobe can beat LeBron off the dribble and hit a nice midrange shot, in the post, or get to the hoop.
The Last Word

Return to The General Board