SA/DET

Moderator: G R E Y

retrolenny
Rookie
And1: 19

SA/DET 

Post#1 » by retrolenny » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 am

I'm a Detroit fan and I've posted this on a couple of boards. I'm curious to know how you SA fans feel about the following trade proposal, especially since you are looking to bring home another title this year?

I can see SA trading their 1st round draft pick to Det for Jason Maxiell. No player needs to come to Det to make this happen as SA is under the cap. Max would be an upgrade to both Bonner & Diaw and is a guy who would thrive in Pops system. If it doesn't work out then Max expires at year end and all SA gave up was a late 1st rounder in a very weak draft. if it does then Det just gave up a player who will not be returning next year and can ship that late 1st rounder to CHA and keep their own pick. It makes great business sense to both teams.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Re: SA/DET 

Post#2 » by co_laper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Are you talking summer trade or February trade?

We're not under the cap, unless you meant this summer
retrolenny
Rookie
And1: 19

Post#3 » by retrolenny » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm

co_laper wrote:Are you talking summer trade or February trade?

We're not under the cap, unless you meant this summer

I simply put in a one way trade and it came back successful, so yes I was talking about a Feb trade!
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#4 » by co_laper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 pm

That must be a glitch. The Spurs are a hair below the tax line. So we're definitely above the cap. We wouldn't be able to trade a draft pick and get back 5 million.

I wouldn't do it for several reasons.

The trade puts us over the tax. As a fan, I couldn't care less about management paying 5 mil tax or 500 mil, but that reason alone means Spurs aren't going to do it unless we're actually talking about a star or atleast a starter.

And then, Maxiell is basically a Blair clone. So why would we want him when we don't have a place for Blair?

Maxiell is also in his last year, meaning he's likely to walk away. Why give up a pick for someone who won't help us much this year and won't help us at all in the future?

It would atleast make some sense if we're talking about bringing in a true Center here instead of another PF (or undersized Center). We have Diaw as our backup PF. We have Blair. Bonner is only good when he's paired with a Center (Splitter or TD). So to bring in another PF just makes no sense at all.

Spurs gives you the finger for this offer.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#5 » by Mykhyn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 am

Spurs counter with Blair for Det's 2013 1st.

Detroit gets a strong big man to pair with their core and all they give up is a pick in a bad draft.

Makes great sense business wise for both teams.

Return to San Antonio Spurs