ImageImageImageImage

Redick receiving interest from teams

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

D12VCMagic
Sixth Man
And1: 441

Re: Redick receiving interest from teams 

Post#141 » by D12VCMagic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:53 pm

JJ has always gotten a pass from this fanbase and I don't get it. When he plays bad, nobody brings it up. But when Afflalo plays bad, everyone whines.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#142 » by magicman123 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:56 pm

D12VCMagic wrote:JJ has always gotten a pass from this fanbase and I don't get it. When he plays bad, nobody brings it up. But when Afflalo plays bad, everyone whines.

JJ is a living legend, he gets a lifetime pass
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#143 » by drsd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 pm

drsd wrote:WIth Lou WIlliams out, look for the Hawks to "over-pay" for a quality SG. Would Orlando send Redick to an in conference team? If the playoffs are written off, then yes.

Would John Jenkins and a 1st get it done?

To quote me, would John Jenkins and a 1st be enough for Atlanta to trade for Redick?

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#144 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:43 pm

drsd wrote:
drsd wrote:WIth Lou WIlliams out, look for the Hawks to "over-pay" for a quality SG. Would Orlando send Redick to an in conference team? If the playoffs are written off, then yes.

To quote me, would John Jenkins and a 1st be enough for Atlanta to trade for Redick?

I think we can find better than a deep prospect and the #16 pick, but if it's the best thing on the table at the deadline, I'd probably do it.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#145 » by Bensational » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

gp123 wrote:Lets cut AA a little slack here guys...

Because he starts he's seeing more minutes against the other teams starting shooting guard. THEN he has to go play out of position at the 3. I love what JJ brings and he's no slouch on D either, but I will take AA defense over JJ's any day.

AA is fine. I think he's a good character guy, I like his hustle, and I think he's an efficient player. I just don't think he's any major upgrade over JJ, he doesn't have the history with Orlando that JJ does, and if we're looking at a team that doesn't have a single core piece yet, then he may not even have a future with the team.

One thing I do like about AA, though, is how he'll get to the rim on his own. He's actually quite good at that, and if he did it more often he'd probably elevate his game a whole other level.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#146 » by shadrock » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:32 pm

drsd wrote:

Atl also own houstons 2013 first and brooklyns 2014/2015 firsts, so a bit of ammo there...
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#147 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:44 pm

shadrock wrote:
drsd wrote:

Atl also own houstons 2013 first and brooklyns 2014/2015 firsts, so a bit of ammo there...

In a draft deep in talent but without a bona fide superstar, the 16th and 19th picks might not be terrible return for JJ Redick. Could likely turn those into a pick around 10-12, which would give us a shot at one of Smart/McCollum/Burke.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,770

Post#148 » by FFBlitzace » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:03 pm

D12VCMagic wrote:JJ has always gotten a pass from this fanbase and I don't get it. When he plays bad, nobody brings it up. But when Afflalo plays bad, everyone whines.

Being extremely good looking has its perks.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,607

Post#149 » by RookieStar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm

magicman123 wrote:

JJ is a living legend, he gets a lifetime pass

He is the only student left of the Great Diener. Of course he gets a pass
gp123
Bench Warmer
And1: 75

Post#150 » by gp123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 am

Bensational wrote:
One thing I do like about AA, though, is how he'll get to the rim on his own. He's actually quite good at that, and if he did it more often he'd probably elevate his game a whole other level.

He's certainly as good or better then anyone we've had on the team in recent years... but I always get this mental image of the Tasmanian Devil cartoon every time he starts charging on a fast-break... He's just a wee bit out of control sometimes.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#151 » by drsd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 am

shadrock wrote:Atl also own houstons 2013 first and brooklyns 2014/2015 firsts, so a bit of ammo there...

To recap on the meaning, this would have Orlando selecting in 2003 at around #8 and #16. In 2014, along with the Magic's own selection, let's call it #13, the New-York-2's at around #20, and the Magic get a lower pick from Denver, perhaps #24.

Trading Redick for John Jenkins and the Houston 2013 and Brooklyn 2014 pick ensures that the Magic will have a wealth of youth.

2013: two 1st picks
2014: three 1st picks
2015: two 1st picks
2016: two 1st picks

And already in the youth-club:
Harkless 1993
Jones 1990
Moore 1989
Nicholson 1989
O'Quinn 1990
Smith 1988
Vučević 1990

MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#152 » by MagicFan32 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 am

Bensational wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:
Bensational wrote:Redick seems much more influential over our W's and L's than Afflalo.

in W's, Redick averages 18ppg on 52%fg and 48%3fg, along with 2.6rpg and 5.2apg in 31.6mpg
in W's, Afflalo averages 18ppg on 48%fg and 47%3fg, along with 4.7rpg and 2.8apg in 37.4mpg

in L's, Redick averages 12.5ppg on 40% and 32%, 2.1rpg, 3.8apg in 30mpg
in L's, Afflalo averages 17ppg on 43% and 28%, 3.2rpg, 3apg in 37.4mpg

in some ways, i'll be annoyed if we trade JJ only to retain Afflalo. i like AA, but i feel like JJ has really been dogged his dues. AA isn't any kind of significant upgrade, and he's not having a significant breakout that i'd imagine the Magic would have liked. give JJ 36mpg and the freedom to put up as many shots as he wants, and i'm sure you'd see just as much of a breakout, if not a bigger one.

I won't be.

Afflalo can get his own shot, while he is frustrating at times, if we had a real franchise player, he would look a hell of alot better to us, i think his last 15 he is averaging 20 ppg, he also has a good contract and only 27, JJ quite possibly is going to get paid more than Afflalo. Afflalo frustrates us because he's being asked to do to much, JJ has similar issues but people overlook them alot more

AA is putting up 20ppg because he's getting the shots and the minutes. He isn't producing any more than JJ is capable of doing.

If we had a franchise player and a legit #2, then AA's ability to find his own shot isn't as valuable as JJ's ability to find an open man. Besides, JJ can create his own shots at times too.

AA's a year younger than JJ, and who knows what JJ's pay will be?

Afflalo has been averaging 19 ppg for two months now, shooting 46% this is not meant to disparage JJ but JJ can't really get his own shot very much, JJ also gets some easier matchups by coming off the bench. but JJ tries to do to much like Afflalo does to, and people here completely ignore it, while magnifying every Afflalo mistake.

Afflalo is the no.5 scoring 2 guard in the league and if he keeps up his last 2 months, his PPG would be 1 behind the no.3 2 guard, Dwayne Wade, I'm not sure how you cannot consider him "legit" he is a legitimate starting 2 in the league and a good one who got off to a bad start
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 341

Post#153 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Magic Give:
JJ Redick, Josh McRoberts, Jameer Nelson , Gustavo Ayon

Magic Get:
Raymon Sessions, Ben Gordon (Contract ends next year), Gerald Henderson, Blazers 2013 1st round pick (Owned by Bobcats), Memphis 2014 1st Round pick

Memphis Gives:
Rudy gay, 2014 1st Round pick

Memphis gets:
JJ Redick, Josh McRoberts, DeSagana Diop

Bobcats give:
Raymon Sessions, Ben Gordon, Gerald Henderson, DeSagana Diop, and the Blazers 2013 1st round pick.

Bobcats get:
Rudy Gay , Jameer Nelson, Gustavo Ayon
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#154 » by tiderulz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Bigmagicfan82 wrote:Magic Give:

Magic Get:
Raymon Sessions, Ben Gordon (Contract ends next year), Gerald Henderson, Blazers 2013 1st round pick (Owned by Bobcats), Memphis 2014 1st Round pick

Memphis Gives:

Memphis gets:

Bobcats give:
Raymon Sessions, Ben Gordon, Gerald Henderson, DeSagana Diop, and the Blazers 2013 1st round pick.

Bobcats get:

as of right now, Memphis owes their 2013 pick so i dont think they can trade their 2014 1st rounder.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:
Bensational wrote:AA is putting up 20ppg because he's getting the shots and the minutes. He isn't producing any more than JJ is capable of doing.

If we had a franchise player and a legit #2, then AA's ability to find his own shot isn't as valuable as JJ's ability to find an open man. Besides, JJ can create his own shots at times too.

AA's a year younger than JJ, and who knows what JJ's pay will be?

Afflalo has been averaging 19 ppg for two months now, shooting 46% this is not meant to disparage JJ but JJ can't really get his own shot very much, JJ also gets some easier matchups by coming off the bench. but JJ tries to do to much like Afflalo does to, and people here completely ignore it, while magnifying every Afflalo mistake.

Afflalo is the no.5 scoring 2 guard in the league and if he keeps up his last 2 months, his PPG would be 1 behind the no.3 2 guard, Dwayne Wade, I'm not sure how you cannot consider him "legit" he is a legitimate starting 2 in the league and a good one who got off to a bad start

AA has been getting the minutes, and the shots. he plays 37mpg compared to JJ's 31. he gets 14.5 FGAs compared to JJ's 11.5. that, right there, is the disparity. JJ is ranked 16th, and he's playing fewer minutes and taking fewer attempts.

JJ has had 25 games where he played 30-39mpg. in those, he averages 34mpg, 16.8ppg on 12FGAs, shooting 47% and 38%. He also chips in 4.9apg.

JJ also outperforms AA in PPS and PPP. JJ is ranked 48th in the league for Points Per Possession, and AA is ranked 120th. JJ's the 10th best spot up shooter in the league. AA doesn't crack the top 40 in any particular area. JJ's also a better defender in terms of PPP allowed. he ranks 106th, compared to AA's 220th. (bragging aside, I was really suprised to note that JJ is also ranked as the 13th best defender on isolation plays. AA is ranked 60th, and that's not bad, either, IMO.)

i think you took my "legit #2" comment the wrong way. i meant legit #2 option, not a legit 2 guard. AA is certainly legit, i don't question that at all. my point was that he's not good enough, IMO, to be a top 2 option on a championship team. and if you've got 2 top options that are taking away shots from him, i wonder if his strength, his efficient shooting, becomes somewhat nullified?

again, please let me qualify that i like AA. i'm not against him in any way. i just think JJ has more than earned his time to be a starter here, and AA isn't doing enough to warrant him not getting that opportunity - yet. JJ may play beyond his abilities sometimes, sure, but i think people give him a pass because he's also far more likely to make a smart play to make up for that.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Bigmagicfan82 wrote:Magic Give:

Magic Get:

Memphis Gives:

Memphis gets:

Bobcats give:

Bobcats get:

i'd rather take on Rudy Gay than a late lottery pick from the Blazers in a weak draft, and more duplicity at the 2 spot (AA/Gordon/Henderson is way too crowded). i like Sessions, but i feel like if we wanted him, we would have signed him this summer.
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#157 » by Potterman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:29 pm

All this talk about trading JJ why can't we trade AA?

I just don't see the value in trading JJ unless we get back an expiring and a 1st (maybe top 5 protected?) rounder. All these elaborate trades just don't make any sense for us and seem more for win now or get that 1/2 scoring option we need now we takes us out of contention in the rebuilding game and straight into mediocrity.

No doubt in my mind JJ does get his points more in the flow of the game and I think that helps the team all around. While AA is more isolation and the ball seems to die with him. I would like to see AA traded, and JJ somehow retained for a similar contract to what he has now. I realize that likely isn't possible.

If we trade JJ this year. I dont see AA lasting through next year. Just a prediction.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Ballah
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#158 » by Ballah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 am

Because a lot of teams are expressing interest in JJ.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,206

Post#159 » by thelead » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 am

Ballah wrote:Because a lot of teams are expressing interest in JJ.

And JJ can walk and leave us with nothing
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#160 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 am

thelead wrote:
Ballah wrote:Because a lot of teams are expressing interest in JJ.

And JJ can walk and leave us with nothing

We should trade them both, but he's right, pressing issue now is JJ, since he can bolt. I'd like to move AA too because I feel he's too discontent with losing and is a bad tank commander.

Return to Orlando Magic