ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Alvin Gentry Parts ways with Phoenix

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

BourneNYKFan
Senior
And1: 9

Re: OT: Alvin Gentry Parts ways with Phoenix 

Post#21 » by BourneNYKFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm

I remembered a few years earlier when this board was itching for us to get Shannon Brown. Happy he chose the Suns.
JamesDolan wrote:
I am responding to the uneducated buffoon that couldnt argue his way out of a paper bag...
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#22 » by moocow007 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:33 pm

That team has to be one of the least talented teams in the NBA. Probably only the Bobcats are less talented.

Robert Sarver (long rumored to be a budinsky to his teams personnel moves and overriding decisions of his GMs) has managed to turn that franchise into one gigantic dud.

I mean consider what he actually got in return for Amare Stoudemire who, at 27 years of age was still arguably the top PF in the NBA and coming off of 5 straight All-Star appearances when he was allowed to just walk to the Knicks. A traded player exception that promptly used to overblow 3 mediocre PF's. Why? Cause apparently they thought that no team was going to give him anything more than a 3 year guaranteed deal. This despite it being apparent for years that numerous teams (big market teams) were going to have boatloads of capspace in the Lebron chase and that, those that lost out on Lebron, would not be sitting on their hands but instead will most likely be chasing options b, c and d. And then, sitting around and instead of trading Steve Nash (should have been traded as soon as they lost Stoudemire) when they could have gotten a major haul for it, letting Nash hit free agency and seeing him walk for pretty much nothing to the Lakers.

I mean honestly, IF the Suns felt that Stoudemire's knees weren't going to last more than 7-8 years after micro-fracture (as apparently their vaunted medical staff felt) then why on earth not trade him when he still was under contract in the 4th or 5th year? Because they naively thought that SToudemire woudl come crawling back for a 3 year contract? Once the D'Antoni run ended, their first action if they were that concerned about the longevity of Stoudemire's knees should have been to trade him for a kings ransom. But ok, fool me once, assuming they accepted that they goobed on Stoudemire, then why on earth not immediately then look to deal Nash when he was still a couple years younger and (most importantly) under contract? But nope, once again, they fell asleep and ended up allowing Nash to simply leave.

Essentially Sarver flipped arguably the best PF and the best PG in the NBA at the time that they shoul dhave traded both for what? Right...nothing that can do anything to lead your franchise to anything...now or in the future.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#23 » by seren » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:17 pm

The list of the trades they made for small amounts of cash, the talent they traded away for essentially nothing is unbelievable.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1015 ... ast-decade

Luol Deng for a future pick (that wasn't even lottery).
Gortat for cash considerations.
Dragic and a first round pick for Brooks.

This is on top of Joe Johnson trade and essentially getting nothing for Amare and Nash.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,956

Post#24 » by Capn'O » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Agree 100% Moo. If I were Sarver, the LAST move I would make is firing Gentry who has been a good soldier through all of this.

Of course, the first move I would make is to fire myself so hence what actually happened. You know, coach's fault.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
CrazyKnicks
General Manager
And1: 1,477

Post#25 » by CrazyKnicks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Agree with Seren and Moo, that owner is cheap so he gave away assets and players in order to save money.

Gentry seems like a decent coach but he's given no talent to work with, what did they expect?
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,889

Post#26 » by Jay10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm

d'antoni will probably join him at the end of the season
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,774

Post#27 » by GettinitDone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Alvin Gentry, Dwane Casey, Larry Drew, Marc Iavaroni, Maurice Cheeks, PJ Carlesimo, Terry Stotts, are all natural born assistant-coach. They make excellent coaches as assistants, but suck hard balls in their coaching history as head coaches (although PJ and Stotts have winning record as head coach this season). If I was owner, I wouldn't ever give my team's head coaching jobs to these guys, would rather take my chances with completely new coach.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,000

Post#28 » by god shammgod » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 pm

i agree with what some of you are already saying. who the hell could make this team play better ? their best hope for the future is that the lakers suck for the next couple of years. the combination of la and their own picks might get them out of this.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#29 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Doesn't Scott Skiles have some ties to PHX? Maybe they really want him?

as Moo put so perfectly, that franchise has done everything it could to kill an effective rebuild. Trading draft picks for money while basically knowing that Nash will make whatever bargain basement talent win enough games in the regular season is not a good business model. Small market teams have to build for the small window and then make quick turns off of it. The Harden trade is an example of a big win for a small market club. They got arguably the best SG prospect in the draft, and a perfect immediate replacement in the same trade.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#30 » by camillepd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 pm

seren wrote:The list of the trades they made for small amounts of cash, the talent they traded away for essentially nothing is unbelievable.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1015 ... ast-decade

Luol Deng for a future pick (that wasn't even lottery).
Gortat for cash considerations.
Dragic and a first round pick for Brooks.

This is on top of Joe Johnson trade and essentially getting nothing for Amare and Nash.

And you forgot the most outrageous Suns move. They drafted and then traded Rajon Rondo to the Celtics for cash considerations!
BourneNYKFan
Senior

Post#31 » by BourneNYKFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:This team SCREAMS Scott Skiles...a bunch of young punks that he gets to sink his teeth into. He and Sarver would be a match made in heaven!

What about Stan Van Gundy?

"Marcin Gortat is openly lobbying for the Phoenix Suns to hire Stan Van Gundy as their next head coach on Twitter.

The Suns fired Alvin Gentry on Friday.

Gortat played for Van Gundy as a member of the Orlando Magic"
JamesDolan wrote:
I am responding to the uneducated buffoon that couldnt argue his way out of a paper bag...
4PointPlay
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#32 » by 4PointPlay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 pm

BourneNYKFan wrote:
swisscheeseD wrote:This team SCREAMS Scott Skiles...a bunch of young punks that he gets to sink his teeth into. He and Sarver would be a match made in heaven!

What about Stan Van Gundy?

"Marcin Gortat is openly lobbying for the Phoenix Suns to hire Stan Van Gundy as their next head coach on Twitter.

The Suns fired Alvin Gentry on Friday.

Gortat played for Van Gundy as a member of the Orlando Magic"

The chances of SVG coaching in the league while Stern is commissioner is nil.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#33 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:01 am

What? It's not like he can tell the owner who to hire.
BourneNYKFan
Senior

Post#34 » by BourneNYKFan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:05 am

Rasho Brezec wrote:What? It's not like he can tell the owner who to hire.

Exactly........
JamesDolan wrote:
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#35 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 am

Gortat is quite a personality.

It would be a fools mission to take the Suns job. For one thing, it is unlikely that they are willing to pay a coach fair worth. For another thing, it is clear that the Suns refuse to pay for a contending team. Thus "Who wants to earn a chance to be a treadmill coach?"

While Scott Skiles would be an obvious choice for HC as a previously mentioned, I don't see why he would want to be part of that.

Some small part of me hopes that Herb Williams applies for the job, seems like a perfect fit. Quiet company man who will basically cause no waves and probably lead to one of the greatest tank jobs OF ALL TIME.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#36 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:00 am

Ewing will coach them for free.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#37 » by Phish Tank » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 am

skilled coached the suns before... he is not going back there
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#38 » by ctorres » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 am

Suns make Lindsey Hunter the head coach.
Dan Majerle and Elston Turner both quit as assistant coaches.
Sean Rooks quits as player development coach and takes a job to be a head coach in China.

The Suns have been absolute madness as an organization ever since Steve Kerr left.

Return to New York Knicks