ImageImageImageImage

Mavericks @ Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Re: Mavericks @ Magic 

Post#141 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 am

Raptorel wrote:
Bensational wrote:
taimaishu wrote:I think Orlando needs about 5 more pieces.

we need a franchise player, that's for sure. and then a legit 2nd star to partner with him.

at least we can admit we're in full rebuild mode. i'm not sure how Dallas has a path back to the championship unless you get lucky with a big FA signing.

Sign Dwight Howard as a free agent this offseason. He wants to be here.

cool, i'd be happy to see Dwight in Dallas, rather than LA. but if he hasn't got the balls to walk away from LA, knowing he'll be hated by millions, and lose a lot of money in potential endorsements, then i hope you guys have a better plan B than Al Jefferson/Josh Smith/Monta Ellis? otherwise you'll be right back in that sandtrap of mediocrity.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#142 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 am

Birth of the Cool wrote:I never understood the hate for Vince on this board. He was a team player (JJ and Jameer still have love for him), listened to SVG, didn't rock the boat, played both ends of the court, sacrificed his offensive game for the team. People want to forget the Magic in Vince's first year were basically tied with the Lakers for best team in the NBA, and went undefeated the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. KG was the huge factor in stopping Orlando (who everyone thought before the series would be a lock to go to the final because of their dominance the first two series). Even today you can see how KG makes the Celtics a good D team vs a bad team when he is out.
Then following year VC had a career high FG% when he was traded to Phoenix, and it's not his fault Otis had ties with Gilbert and also panicked on those trades after a rocky west coast trip.

You can see how drastically team chemistry took a nose dive once Gortat, Pietrus, Vince and Rashard left.

Anyways, it's great to see JJ and Jameer compete out there. Good guys and wish them the best. This team at least is more enjoyable to follow without the "D" drama and you guys have some nice pieces to follow (Vucevic, Moe, etc). Good luck the rest of the season!

I still say that was the best of the Dwight Teams. Swapping Vince + Ryno + Barnes for Turk, Battie, Skip, Lee was a huge win. I liked the Vince months.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#143 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 am

Birth of the Cool wrote:I never understood the hate for Vince on this board. He was a team player (JJ and Jameer still have love for him), listened to SVG, didn't rock the boat, played both ends of the court, sacrificed his offensive game for the team. People want to forget the Magic in Vince's first year were basically tied with the Lakers for best team in the NBA, and went undefeated the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. KG was the huge factor in stopping Orlando (who everyone thought before the series would be a lock to go to the final because of their dominance the first two series). Even today you can see how KG makes the Celtics a good D team vs a bad team when he is out.
Then following year VC had a career high FG% when he was traded to Phoenix, and it's not his fault Otis had ties with Gilbert and also panicked on those trades after a rocky west coast trip.

You can see how drastically team chemistry took a nose dive once Gortat, Pietrus, Vince and Rashard left.

Anyways, it's great to see JJ and Jameer compete out there. Good guys and wish them the best. This team at least is more enjoyable to follow without the "D" drama and you guys have some nice pieces to follow (Vucevic, Moe, etc). Good luck the rest of the season!

i was a big Vince hater during his time here, but i've come to reflect on his tenure here much more favorably. weren't we playing some GOAT style basketball in the 2nd half of VC's first season? i'm pretty sure that post all star break, we were playing at a level that hadn't been done before. (can't remember exactly what that was...)

my biggest problem with VC was that what we needed was a Kobe/Pierce/Wade style dominant wing and closer, but Vince just didn't give us that. because there was no hope of us actually landing a legit Kobe/Pierce/Wade, all our hopes fell on him to fulfill that role, whether that's right or wrong.

the dude's a nice guy though. can't fault him for that. just look at that winning smile - how can you not like him?
Raptorel
Starter
And1: 50

Post#144 » by Raptorel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am

Bensational wrote:

i was a big Vince hater during his time here, but i've come to reflect on his tenure here much more favorably. weren't we playing some GOAT style basketball in the 2nd half of VC's first season? i'm pretty sure that post all star break, we were playing at a level that hadn't been done before. (can't remember exactly what that was...)

my biggest problem with VC was that what we needed was a Kobe/Pierce/Wade style dominant wing and closer, but Vince just didn't give us that. because there was no hope of us actually landing a legit Kobe/Pierce/Wade, all our hopes fell on him to fulfill that role, whether that's right or wrong.

the dude's a nice guy though. can't fault him for that. just look at that winning smile - how can you not like him?

You wanted a Kobe/Pierce/Wade style dominant wing but you were still giving Dwight the ball in the post, never played VC & Dwight pick and roll, and made VC a three point shooting catapult as far as the gameplan went. Especially after Blewis started to roll his mouth about not getting enough touches.

You wanted Vince to play like himself while SVG executed the "dump it to Dwight in the post and just stand around looking at him while he gets fouled and bricks free throws".

Yeah, makes sense.
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Post#145 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 am

a lot of revisionist history going on in here. vince led the team in fg attempts and had the worst fg% on the team. he never cut off the ball, perennially stood still around the three-point line, never played defense, constantly writhed on the floor wincing, and of course choked away the ecf. and then in that second year he was even worse.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#146 » by KillMonger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:58 am

Me personally i've always respected Vince's talent but one thing i never understood from Otis. Why didn't he go get Vince when he wanted to come here when he was young? instead waited until he was old and out of shape?
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Post#147 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am

while i'm a bit annoyed by the trolling smiling vc pics, i'm reminded that i used to do the same thing when we sucked back in the day. smiling former players "LOL"ing at us. i guess i haven't thought to do that now because at the time i was really taking a jab at our gm, and i actually kinda like hennigan.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#148 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 am

Bobby Ray wrote:Me personally i've always respected Vince's talent but one thing i never understood from Otis. Why didn't he go get Vince when he wanted to come here when he was young? instead waited until he was old and out of shape?

Otis publicly called him "fool's gold" in an interview on the Orlando Magic website
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#149 » by Orium » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:Me personally i've always respected Vince's talent but one thing i never understood from Otis. Why didn't he go get Vince when he wanted to come here when he was young? instead waited until he was old and out of shape?

Otis publicly called him "fool's gold" in an interview on the Orlando Magic website

Oh that Otis...
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#150 » by KillMonger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:

oh god seriously? If he was fool's gold when he was young then what the hell was he when we got him when he was old?
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#151 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:06 am

Bobby Ray wrote:
Cigamodnalro wrote:

oh god seriously? If he was fool's gold when he was young then what the hell was he when we got him when he was old?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/200 ... -fool-gold

So the man who once called Vince Carter "fool's gold" now wants us to believe the all-star guard is what the Magic need to win the NBA Finals. That is pretty laughable.

On Feb. 22, 2007, Smith said: "I'm not going to take a step back and fall for what I call fool's gold. It shines and it glitters, but it just doesn't stick or pass the test."

So if Carter was fool's gold then, has he somehow polished himself up and turned into solid gold now despite two more years of wear and tear on his body?
Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#152 » by Tarot Magician » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 am

So to recap...

Magic lost another close game.
Questionable calls from the refs didn't help.
JJ continues to raise his trade value in case that's the route we take.
Moving up higher in the draft.

Meanwhile in Los Angeles, Dwight Howard receives two techs...

I've been loving the 2012-2013 NBA Season.
RvM
Veteran
And1: 276

Post#153 » by RvM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 am

Hey guys, what's up?

Good game, Vuc is a nice piece to have. I'm probably sure Magic fans hate VC because of posters like the troll here. Completely unnecessary and annoying, but good luck to you guys on the rest of the season.
RvM:42-31 when making Gamethreads.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#154 » by arsenal6106 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 am

Tarot Magician wrote:So to recap...

Magic lost another close game.
Questionable calls from the refs didn't help.
JJ continues to raise his trade value in case that's the route we take.
Moving up higher in the draft.

Meanwhile in Los Angeles, Dwight Howard receives two techs...

I've been loving the 2012-2013 NBA Season.

You forgot the part where a VC troll turns this GT into a VC discussion board.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
taimaishu
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#155 » by taimaishu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:31 am

doct3r dr3 wrote:a lot of revisionist history going on in here. vince led the team in fg attempts and had the worst fg% on the team. he never cut off the ball, perennially stood still around the three-point line, never played defense, constantly writhed on the floor wincing, and of course choked away the ecf. and then in that second year he was even worse.

:roll:

I will say trading VC was the best thing that could happen to his career. At least he wouldn't be stuck with a sad sack LA Laker minor league farm team. Now he's a team leader and one of the top 5 6th men in basketball, reinventing his career post-star status where Gilbert Arenas, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson etc. could not in the mold of Ray Allen, Grant Hill etc.

ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,609

Post#156 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 am

RvM wrote:Hey guys, what's up?

Good game, Vuc is a nice piece to have. I'm probably sure Magic fans hate VC because of posters like the troll here. Completely unnecessary and annoying, but good luck to you guys on the rest of the season.

Here is someone I haven't heard from in a while. How have you been bro? Hope all is well with you and thank you for the kind words.

For every great fan like yourself, you have asswipes like the troll who posted those VC smiling pics.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#157 » by magicman123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:37 am

ChosenSavior wrote:

Here is someone I haven't heard from in a while. How have you been bro? Hope all is well with you and thank you for the kind words.

For every great fan like yourself, you have asswipes like the troll who posted those VC smiling pics.

yea i always enjoyed RvM :D
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#158 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:38 am

taimaishu wrote:I will say trading VC was the best thing that could happen to his career. At least he wouldn't be stuck with a sad sack LA Laker minor league farm team. Now he's a team leader and one of the top 5 6th men in basketball, reinventing his career post-star status where Gilbert Arenas, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson etc. could not in the mold of Ray Allen, Grant Hill etc.

Who, us?

So, basically, now he's a bench player on a 18-24 team? How is that like Ray Allen again?
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#159 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:38 am

Welcome back! One of the few player fans we really miss over here :D
RvM
Veteran
And1: 276

Post#160 » by RvM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 am

ChosenSavior wrote:

Been going well. Just enjoying VC in his twilight years and graduating college actually. Been pretty busy, haha but I'm actually enjoying VC's semi resurgence.

Just wanted to post again to show that not all VC fans are d-bags. Also, I'm enjoying just as much as you guys at the Lakers misery and that the crybaby can possibly miss the playoffs.
RvM:42-31 when making Gamethreads.

Return to Orlando Magic