ImageImageImageImage

Mavericks @ Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,609

Re: Mavericks @ Magic 

Post#161 » by ChosenSavior » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 am

RvM wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:
RvM wrote:Hey guys, what's up?

Good game, Vuc is a nice piece to have. I'm probably sure Magic fans hate VC because of posters like the troll here. Completely unnecessary and annoying, but good luck to you guys on the rest of the season.

Here is someone I haven't heard from in a while. How have you been bro? Hope all is well with you and thank you for the kind words.

For every great fan like yourself, you have asswipes like the troll who posted those VC smiling pics.

Been going well. Just enjoying VC in his twilight years and graduating college actually. Been pretty busy, haha but I'm actually enjoying VC's semi resurgence.

Just wanted to post again to show that not all VC fans are d-bags. Also, I'm enjoying just as much as you guys at the Lakers misery and that the crybaby can possibly miss the playoffs.

That's really good to hear and congrats on getting your degree bro! That is a great accomplishment. Yeah Vince has been playing very well for the Mavericks as of late. I'm very impressed on how he has reshaped his game a bit and Carlisle uses him in a way I wished Stan would have when he was here in Orlando.

Yeah seeing Dwight and the Lakers fail has made this season so great for me... :lol:
RvM
Veteran
And1: 276

Post#162 » by RvM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:

Good game, Vuc is a nice piece to have. I'm probably sure Magic fans hate VC because of posters like the troll here. Completely unnecessary and annoying, but good luck to you guys on the rest of the season.

Welcome back! One of the few player fans we really miss over here :D

Thanks. :) good to still see some familiar places. How's your guys outlook looking over here? You guys still want to go with a Jj-Davis-afflalo-vuc nucleus or are you guys looking to trade for some better pieces?
RvM:42-31 when making Gamethreads.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#163 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 am

Raptorel wrote:
Bensational wrote:i was a big Vince hater during his time here, but i've come to reflect on his tenure here much more favorably. weren't we playing some GOAT style basketball in the 2nd half of VC's first season? i'm pretty sure that post all star break, we were playing at a level that hadn't been done before. (can't remember exactly what that was...)

my biggest problem with VC was that what we needed was a Kobe/Pierce/Wade style dominant wing and closer, but Vince just didn't give us that. because there was no hope of us actually landing a legit Kobe/Pierce/Wade, all our hopes fell on him to fulfill that role, whether that's right or wrong.

the dude's a nice guy though. can't fault him for that. just look at that winning smile - how can you not like him?

You wanted a Kobe/Pierce/Wade style dominant wing but you were still giving Dwight the ball in the post, never played VC & Dwight pick and roll, and made VC a three point shooting catapult as far as the gameplan went. Especially after Blewis started to roll his mouth about not getting enough touches.

You wanted Vince to play like himself while SVG executed the "dump it to Dwight in the post and just stand around looking at him while he gets fouled and bricks free throws".

Yeah, makes sense.

lol, Stan didn't tell Vince to stand on the perimeter and chuck 3's (or, stand well behind the perimeter and attempt long 3's - seriously, who decides to make a low percentage shot even harder?). Stan didn't tell Vince to walk the ball to the rim with the speed and agility of a pensioner, getting caught in the middle of the key and being forced to throw up a fade away just to get enough space to launch a shot.

we wanted Vince to play like himself, but even when he did - he just wasn't elite. he wasn't good enough to carry us over the hump the way a truly elite player like Kobe/Pierce/Wade would be able to do. it's not a dig at Vince. he did well, but he had serious limitations that weren't a result of the system, but of his aged body and, well... the fact that he just wasn't elite. he wasn't a championship caliber player. and unfortunately, that's what a lot of players hoped/expected he would be when he came here.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#164 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 am

taimaishu wrote:I will say trading VC was the best thing that could happen to his career. At least he wouldn't be stuck with a sad sack LA Laker minor league farm team. Now he's a team leader and one of the top 5 6th men in basketball, reinventing his career post-star status where Gilbert Arenas, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson etc. could not in the mold of Ray Allen, Grant Hill etc.

oh..... this is just sad for so many reasons.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#165 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 am

Maurice actually spoke. Afflalo mentioned the words "pissed off" a few times.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkUI7Tpc40[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvQKPnsC_I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL9OAhzY0mA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2fWzAM-byo[/youtube]
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
RvM
Veteran

Post#166 » by RvM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 am

@chosensavior

Thanks, can't believe I just entered college when I left this board, haha. :) he's turning 36 and can only handle bench minutes but Rick Carlisle really has helped him transition well to a nice 6th man off the bench, and he provides a VInsanity night every once in awhile. Still hoping for an outside chance the MAVS make the playoffs. But if not it is what it is.

Anyways good luck with the rest of the season guys. And F Dwight and the Lakers! :)
akhenaten
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#167 » by akhenaten » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 am

Went to the game tonight. You can really tell in person how hard the team is playing, or not playing. Tonight Dallas played much harder than Orlando, which is disappointing come off the Charlotte loss. The Magic's body language was bad all night, whereas the Mavs were playing extremely hard on defense. Our defense was horrible and not much effort went into it.

On the bright side, Harkless looked better tonight. Like he took a half step forward while sitting out.
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#168 » by Orium » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 am

Lol @ Jameer's post-game.. "I had the ball, I have no idea what happened after that. I have no idea"
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#169 » by magicman112 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:57 am

Good game indeed, Magic just didn't play good D and then had to expend a lot to try to get back in it. Yes Vuc has turned out to be a nice surprise from the Dwight trade. I posted on the Blazers board after our game with them and in the fans responses they all mentioned him.
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#170 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 am

We played such good D earlier in the season, but since BBD got hurt its like everybody just gave up, besides the occasional mind boggling good game against teams like LAC and Miami
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#171 » by J the Drafter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 am

If I may add on to the VC discussion, the problem was that Otis--that everybody, really--expected Vince to be a better version of Hedo, when that was never what made Carer so good. Carter would have been much better served, imo, if he could have focused on scoring on post-ups and from the free throw line without being expected to duplicate Hedo's success running the pick-and-roll with Howard. Jameer was not able to pick up the playmaking slack, and that hampered the 2010 team's ball movement. I think that if Turkoglu had been with the Magic in 2010 and been playing decent basketball then the Magic would have won a championship.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
RoLo
Senior
And1: 1,252

Post#172 » by RoLo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 am

Does gino_giode still post here? I remember he was one of the few Magic fans here that supported VC.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#173 » by arsenal6106 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:39 am

RoLo wrote:Does gino_giode still post here? I remember he was one of the few Magic fans here that supported VC.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=110765

He's still active, but I don't think I have seen him here this season.

I did find this post of his in the Mavs forum.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1226877&p=34371872
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
RvM
Veteran

Post#174 » by RvM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:05 am

J the Drafter wrote:If I may add on to the VC discussion, the problem was that Otis--that everybody, really--expected Vince to be a better version of Hedo, when that was never what made Carer so good. Carter would have been much better served, imo, if he could have focused on scoring on post-ups and from the free throw line without being expected to duplicate Hedo's success running the pick-and-roll with Howard. Jameer was not able to pick up the playmaking slack, and that hampered the 2010 team's ball movement. I think that if Turkoglu had been with the Magic in 2010 and been playing decent basketball then the Magic would have won a championship.

Very good point, I think VC was great during the 2nd half of the season because he was getting more post ups and the focus was more on driving and dishing rather than swinging the ball around the perimeter, leading to better spacing because the paint would get clogged by a VC drive or something else. I really thought the 09-10 team had great potential to go all the way but sadly it did not, but I still enjoy the memories of VCs tenure here even through the good and the bad.

As for Gino_giode.....the guy still continues to post regularly on the MAVS board. Although he's done a complete 180 and now "hates/dislikes" and always critizes him for every little thing. He's turned into a VC troll but I think it's just all a ruse just so that if VC fails he can not feel bad or something. Haha it's pretty amusing actually.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#175 » by RookieStar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 am

How did this GT ( not our usual standards I admit ) become a VC discussion?
StatsMan99
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#176 » by StatsMan99 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

FFBlitzace wrote:I just figured out why Vince is playing so well. As the Mavs aren't likely to make the playoffs at all, these games are essentially meaningless. Thus, he is thriving.

Vince's best years have all come when his team made the playoffs. But don't let the truth get in the way of your story.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#177 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm

My money is on the Mavs making the playoffs and the Lakers not!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#178 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:35 pm

arsenal6106 wrote:
RoLo wrote:Does gino_giode still post here? I remember he was one of the few Magic fans here that supported VC.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=110765

He's still active, but I don't think I have seen him here this season.

I did find this post of his in the Mavs forum.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1226877&p=34371872

Gino was posting in the Dallas GT on their forum last night.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
gino_giode
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#179 » by gino_giode » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey guys
Ya I still post from time to time, but busy writing my master's thesis lately--it's a beast

Anyways, for the most part I've converted into a VC hater and I think I'm almost universally ignored on the Mavs forum :lol:

I try to be the realist and balance out all the fanboys (I know, hypocrite) like last night I posted:
VC reminding Magic fans what they lost I see...bricking hard in the 4th

Which is a fair observation going 1-6 right?

Been impressed with some of the Magic games this year. The team is a great collection of effort guys, just inconsistent.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#180 » by G-Heel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:03 pm

taimaishu wrote:
G-Heel wrote:
LOL.

Another close game, another loss. This means we need one more piece, someone that can close out games. Unfortunately, that kind of player is hard to find.

I think Orlando needs about 5 more pieces.

I wasn't talking about winning championships. Need one piece to start winning some of these close games. Winning it all is a different matter, would have to get rid of players like jameer, afflalo, JJ, big baby or make them into role players. No team will win if any of those players is a top 3 player on the team. I'm a magic fan, but that's the harsh truth.
Fire Otis!

Return to Orlando Magic