ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumors of Mitch Kupchak could be fired?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Rumors of Mitch Kupchak could be fired? 

Post#1 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 am

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2013/01/20/sports/nh6455467.txt?viewmode=fullstory

If the Los Angeles Lakers don't make the playoffs, there is some speculation that General Manager Mitch Kupchak could lose his job. He said recently he's not sure they'll be active at the trade deadline. "We don't have many options," Kupchak told the LA Daily News. "It's not like we're going to be active or overly active in the trade market." The Lakers owe $29.85 million toward the luxury tax and Kupchak probably would want to bring back less money if he does make a trade.

Kobe responded with this quote on the current team position
Lakers guard Kobe Bryant asked that all the criticism go toward him after scoring 26 points on only 10-of-32 shooting. Bryant attributed the poor marksmanship to "heavy legs" after playing 42 minutes. But he vowed he would adjust his game and enhance his post-game treatment entailing ice baths and massage therapy.

"This team needs me on both ends of the floor," said Bryant, who has taken a larger defensive role in the past week. "So unless they're going to do something roster-wise, I have to continue to push through it." Does Bryant believe the Lakers' front office needs to make a move? "No," he said. "Listen, if this is what we're rolling with, I can't make excuses. I have to go out there and do my job."

Not a fan of this idea. It falls on the players and coaches to get the job done at some point. While I've had issues with the role players we've brought in and let go over the years. This isnt all Mitch's fault.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Re: Rumors of Mitch Kupchak could be fired? 

Post#2 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 am

Seems like ALOT of finger pointing is going on with this organization right now and I dont like it at all
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 am

i put more credibility in your source from inglewood.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#4 » by Optms » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 am

We're gonna ride with D'Antoni but we really looked like a different team under Bernie.

Maybe we should have listened to Knicks fans.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 am

Optms wrote:We're gonna ride with D'Antoni but we really looked like a different team under Bernie.

Maybe we should have listened to Knicks fans.

lol I swear I think about that all the time. Man that team transformed as soon as he shook town
CelticsRise
Senior
And1: 9

Post#6 » by CelticsRise » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 am

LOL....source.....

I am not Lakers fan but Mitch should be the last person to get any blame for this mess.

If anything I would fire sale the team except Kobe from business perspective.

When Mitch assembled this team everyone called him genius.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 am

CelticsRise wrote:LOL....source.....

I am not Lakers fan but Mitch should be the last person to get any blame for this mess.

If anything I would fire sale the team except Kobe.

No way u let Dwight go unless he says he wont resign. He isnt healthy but even at 80% is the best big on the planet
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#8 » by PandGneverfold » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am

no way shou;d we let mitch go. what he pulled off this summer was remarkable considering we were just champs three years ago. mitch is really the least of our problems. we need a better coach.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#9 » by Jetset » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 am

source: the news herald - serving northern ohio

serving northern ohio

Serving Northern Ohio

SERVING NORTHERN OHIO

SERVING NORTHERN OHIO
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#10 » by hermes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 am

mitch is the best gm, he stays forever!

do it mitch! :wizard:
gotokyo
Rookie
And1: 283

Post#11 » by gotokyo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:45 am

Lol at that source

Unless their bringing Phil back and he wants control of all basketball decisions, Mitch's job is as safe as Kobe's with that no trade clause.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:02 am

I don't know what the answer is right now, but I'm pretty f'ing certain it's not Bernie Bickerstaff.
kobesmyhomie
Senior
And1: 5

Post#13 » by kobesmyhomie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:29 am

If anyone should be blamed in the organization it should be Jim Buss. To me it seems like he's the one screwing things up.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#14 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 am

dumb rumor Mitch might quit, but who freaking fires the guy who has delivered dream teams from Kwame's?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 am

kobesmyhomie wrote:If anyone should be blamed in the organization it should be Jim Buss. To me it seems like he's the one screwing things up.

Not to single you out, but this made me lol :lol: ...
It works much better as a full troll line.

But it's also hilarious because it's a pervasive point of view that's based on absolutely nothing...

Which you're line seems to acknowledge... "...it seems like he's the one screwing things up." Gold.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,577

Post#16 » by Asianiac_24 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 am

The Lakers have never made such bad coaching hires like MB and MDA. We have always hired good coaches that are known for winning, like PJ in 2000, Rudy T in 2005, and back to PJ in 06. I don't think anyone on this board supported the hiring of MDA. As for Jim Buss, I think either PJ or Brian Shaw would be our coach right now if not for his grudge against PJ. From all the firing of PJ's people in the organization, to letting go of Shaw and hiring MB without informing Kobe, to now hiring MDA when there was a good chance PJ would coach for our team again.

If Mitch gets fired this organization is truly a joke. Regardless of what happens this season here on out, dude is still the best GM in this league.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#17 » by Kilroy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:The Lakers have never made such bad coaching hires like MB and MDA. We have always hired good coaches that are known for winning, like PJ in 2000, Rudy T in 2005, and back to PJ in 06.

Oh, go back a little farther and see if you still have that impression. Del Harris, Mike Dunleavy, Randy Pfund... These are not names that strike fear in the hearts of opposing coaches.
Some of them were controversial at the time too... And guess who made those calls? Dr. Jerry Buss... Just like this season.

Asianiac_24 wrote: I don't think anyone on this board supported the hiring of MDA. As for Jim Buss, I think either PJ or Brian Shaw would be our coach right now if not for his grudge against PJ. From all the firing of PJ's people in the organization, to letting go of Shaw and hiring MB without informing Kobe, to now hiring MDA when there was a good chance PJ would coach for our team again.

Dr. Jerry Buss had the problem with Phil... Not Jim... Or if Jim did have a problem, he was never in a position to do anything about it. Jerry vetoed the Phil hire and went with MDA not Jim...

If Jim didn't want to hire him, why would he have gone with Mitch to his house to interview him?

Asianiac_24 wrote:If Mitch gets fired this organization is truly a joke. Regardless of what happens this season here on out, dude is still the best GM in this league.

Totally agree... But it won't happen. Mitch may retire, but they won't fire him.
If they did, they'd be firing half the lakers fans too.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Lowkey
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by Lowkey » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 am

Jerry Buss has become Al Davis if any of this talk is true
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#19 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:I don't know what the answer is right now, but I'm pretty f'ing certain it's not Bernie Bickerstaff.
I know damn well it ain't Bickerstaff. Guys apparently got sucked in real hard on that 4-1 during his time. For the last time people they weren't running any type of structured offense, and the right teams popped up on the schedule. I've seen Bernie coach for a long time, he's not top shelf.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#20 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Kilroy wrote:Dr. Jerry Buss had the problem with Phil... Not Jim... Or if Jim did have a problem, he was never in a position to do anything about it. Jerry vetoed the Phil hire and went with MDA not Jim...

If Jim didn't want to hire him, why would he have gone with Mitch to his house to interview him?

Hey Kilroy, do you have a link for that? I believe you, but I'm just surprised I never came across this myself.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers