ImageImageImageImageImage

What is wrong with Derozan?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

TooHood
Senior
And1: 818

What is wrong with Derozan? 

Post#1 » by TooHood » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am

I honestly dont know what is wrong with him , remember the games when all he tried was to get to the free throw line ? These days all he does is shoot deep 2s. i would say terrence is better but all he does is shoot contested threes lol man oh man what to do with this franchise
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: What is wrong with Derozan? 

Post#2 » by Kabookalu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 am

Probably gave up trying to get to the line when he wasn't getting any calls at all. He's tried incorporating a short pull up jumper and floater, although it's very rough and he's been missing easy gimmes.
Read on Twitter
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#3 » by SkywalkerAC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am

Looks like he's trying not to press the issue and is playing a more passive game as a result. He was getting hacked like crazy, turning the ball over, and forcing his offense. I think he's trying to let the game come to him but it's not really working for him. I thought he played decent defense on Kobe today, when they were matched up. He's grabbing rebounds, making decent passes here and there, and hitting a few jumpers. It's going to be very interesting to see if he can come on stronger down the stretch, as he has in previous years.
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,451

Post#4 » by Aventador » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 am

what is right with derozan? trade this scrub
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Post#5 » by Scase » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:07 am

He's baaaaaaaaad.
Props TZ!
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#6 » by redred9 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 am

He's playing like a girl, that's what's wrong.
4u2nv
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#7 » by 4u2nv » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 am

Demar needs to continue to be aggressive. I can live with the bad shots and going out of control down the lane. Without him posting or attacking, the Raptors don't put much pressure on the defence. The past couple weeks he has been going against elite defenders or defenders with an established reputation. Going against the likes of Sefolosha, World Peace, Deng will hurt his overall stats and he won't get the benefit of the doubt. What I did notice today while watching the lakers game live was that Demar gets completely taken out of his comfort zone when bodied up. Metta was physical with him and Demar made piss poor decisions due to the pressure. I'm sure this will improve as he gets used to increased attention and more physical defenders.
roon
Rookie
And1: 471

Post#8 » by roon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 am

I really thought his post game was a strength of his. That was one way he could actually create a shot for himself.. Too bad he completely abandoned it.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 am

roon wrote:I really thought his post game was a strength of his. That was one way he could actually create a shot for himself.. Too bad he completely abandoned it.

Not his fault entirely. He's actually improved his post game throughout the season. Before he was horrendously bad passing it out of the post, now he's at least competent. We're not going to him down there because we don't have the necessary shooters to provide him the spacing he needs.

Read on Twitter
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,313

Post#10 » by mtcan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am

He's not getting as many looks as he did before, with Lowry and Anderson out. Especially now with Alan Anderson being given the green light to jack up whatever and whenever...no one looks to him in the post.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,291

Post#11 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 am

Basically the spacing is horrible for him right now.

Now he has 3 other players inhabiting the paint area, which means 3 defenders plus his own not very far from the rim. Also, he cant exactly post because those defenders dont need to stray far from the paint. DD isnt explosive enough nor quick enough to see the open lanes to the rim.

DD needs to start making those jumpers and adjust his game. He cant post and penetrate like he did at the start of the year anymore. Raps have 3 good off. rebounders now with him when he misses the shot. However those rebounders go to waste when he cant hit the rim from 15 feet out.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,527

Post#12 » by C_Money » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:30 am

Teams have figured out that all you have to do is crowd him and he can't do anything about it. Thats where speed and ball handling would help him out a great deal.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,963

Post#13 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:39 am

It was really sad yesterday at the ACC. Fans were on the verge of booing DeMar.

But if he attracts the attention of the MWP's on the opposing team, while Fields can take advantage of being guarded by the Steve Nash's, then it can still work.
RNsteve
Banned User
And1: 939

Post#14 » by RNsteve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:43 am

He needs spacing . Honestly where we need the 3 spot to at least be a partial 3 point threat.
TooHood
Senior
And1: 818

Post#15 » by TooHood » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 am

Spacing eh? thats it? i guess everyone here who said spacing really wants Andrea back loool jk
youreachiteach
Veteran
And1: 570

Post#16 » by youreachiteach » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

People are clearly shading to Demar's side and not letting him get a lane to the hoop. We tried letting him force the play and all he did was turn it over because the d is focusing on him.

Now, what's happening is Calderon is being made into the shooter--and he is taking the bull by the horns and punishing people for playing off. This is the price you pay for playing the box and one on Demar. Why do you think we've gotten off to these great leads? Because Toronto is f*king up the opposing coach's game plan of denying Demar the lane or the post-up against their **** undersized or lousy defensive twos. They don't expect Caldy to be aggressive, and the patience we play with requires teams to play strong defense for almost the entire shot clock.

It's hard to trap Calderon--if you trap him you are actually facilitating the game he WANTS to play (the roll man or the cutter is wide open) and if you get tight or switch a big (although he's no speed demon) he can get by his man and then it's lights out again because he's in the middle of the floor--the triple threat position.

It's true that, in previous years, Caldy's insistence on holding the ball and not shooting would be annihilated by hard traps--but that is rarely the case this year. He is relentless in pursuing the shot.

The negative byproduct of this is that...Calderon is not really a scorer, although he is an excellent shooter. On top of that, Demar is frozen out, and he is a rhythm shooter who needs more touches to stay "hot"--much like other scorers. When the scores get tight and the jumpers stop falling, the offense gets stagnant, and Calderon and Anderson's ability to run offense becomes far too necessary.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#17 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 pm

He had a stretch earlier when Andrea and Kyle were out, that he really impressed me. For the last little while he hasn't been good. Had he been even passable we win the last three game.

It's tough, I think he's slumping and forcing it. He's struggling. Also, he's slow and weak with the ball. He needs to improve there, he should be crowning people on breaks, not bringing it back out. Seems like we waste the first 7 seconds of the shot clock, while he gets shut down, and passes back to Jose for a reset.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#18 » by KnickerBonkerz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 pm

can't remember the last time I saw him post up and it didn't result in a blocked turn around fade
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#19 » by Undefeated » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 pm

What DeMar needs to do is to stop dribbling towards the sideline and running into those traps. He needs to dribble to the middle of the floor when he brings the ball up before initiating his drive. A lot of those dribble handoffs for DeMar are on the side now which he isn't good at reading angles and attacking baseline hence those short corner pullup J's. I think earlier in the season he had a lot more handoffs at the top of the key.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,980

Post#20 » by Mack11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 pm

I believe the not trying to force the issue cause hes struggling. We're talkin about a dude that refuses to shoot the ball at the end of q's so he doesnt hurt his FG %

Return to Toronto Raptors