ImageImageImage

Injury Exception (Wolves Sign Chris Johnson)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Re: Injury Exception (Wolves Sign Chris Johnson) 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 pm

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#22 » by jade_hippo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am

I wouldn't have minded someone more offensive oriented for a big man. Without Pek that leaves only DW who can score even somewhat reliably. Where is the Cookie Monster when you need him?
wolfcat
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#23 » by wolfcat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 am

Looked nice against the Rockets. Has some hops and some fight in him.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#24 » by Nitroglycerin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 am

Im on the Johnsonity bandwagon :D
Trust the PRosas!
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#25 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm

This guy is long and athletic. Exactly what Rubio needss. Waive Useless Lou and keep this guy after the 2 10- day contracts.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#26 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

30 / 12 / 2 blocks / 16FTA PER36, with a 43.5 PER, .997 TS%, 211ORTG, 91DRTG.

MAX HIS ASS!
funfactor
Junior
And1: 76

Post#27 » by funfactor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:This guy is long and athletic. Exactly what Rubio needss. Waive Useless Lou and keep this guy after the 2 10- day contracts.

This.
I like Lou but he is not a nba caliber player IMHO, and this kid in one game have showed more game that Lou and Steamer in all season long.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#28 » by Tirion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Meh.

I believe they talked to Birdman, but he wasn't interested (he wanted to go to MIA).
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#29 » by The J Rocka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Tirion wrote:Meh.

I believe they talked to Birdman, but he wasn't interested (he wanted to go to MIA).

More than likely the case now. Before the season, he wanted to come here, but we surprisingly passed and signed Lou instead. I still don't understand that decision.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#30 » by Nitroglycerin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Just watched the wolves vs rockets. Was very impressed with Chris "Max-contract Value Player" Johnson.

Love the hustle. And he can block shots and can be a defensive force inside the paint with his length. And can finish very well. Very athletic. It also helps that he played for us in the pre-season so chemistry wont be a problem. He can be our mcgee or deandre jordan haha

just what we need a big man he can score and defend. If he gives this effort every night he can solve our backup C problem. Hope jelly pans out too and stabilize our backcourt. We still need a big trade though.
Trust the PRosas!
wolfcat
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#31 » by wolfcat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 am

Turnover_21 wrote:This guy is long and athletic. Exactly what Rubio needss. Waive Useless Lou and keep this guy after the 2 10- day contracts.

We would have to waive Lou after the first 10 day as that is all we have to give. The league gave us one 10 day contract to give out so we have only the 10 days to decide if he is worth moving Lou out or working a trade that leaves us room to sign him for the rest of the year or another 10 day.
jade_hippo
Starter

Post#32 » by jade_hippo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:52 am

I'd give up Lou for a top 59 protected second.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#33 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

wolfcat wrote:

We would have to waive Lou after the first 10 day as that is all we have to give. The league gave us one 10 day contract to give out so we have only the 10 days to decide if he is worth moving Lou out or working a trade that leaves us room to sign him for the rest of the year or another 10 day.

Everything but getting rid of Lou in favor of Johnson would be pure stupidity.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#34 » by shrink » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
Tirion wrote:Meh.

More than likely the case now. Before the season, he wanted to come here, but we surprisingly passed and signed Lou instead. I still don't understand that decision.

IND fans really liked Lou last year. He's still clearly a vet-min guy, but they said he was tough, hustled, and held his own. Here's the difference in stats:

2011-12 IND: 60 Games, 12.6 mpg, FG 43.0%, 3.7 RPG, 0.2 APG, 3.5 PPG
2012-13 MIN: 17 Games , 8.5 mpg, FG 33.0%, 2.5 RPG, 0.1 APG, 1.4 PPG

If we ever make a deal with IND, I think we should send him back there. As they approach the play-offs, they could use a stabilizing back-up PG like Ridnour, because Augustin has been pretty bad with only occasional competance. When Shved gets back, and Rubio is gobbling up the PG minutes, a package of Ridnour + Amundson should be attractive to the Pacers. There's lots of talk about the Pacers trading Granger, who's due back in early February, and if we are still anywhere close to making the play-offs at that point, I think they'd have to listen to an offer of Williams + Ridnour + Amundson.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#35 » by Biff Cooper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

They loved Lou in Phoenix (and I think GS as well) before Indiana. Phoenix does have cap space, but no roster space. There is maybe a possibility of sending Amundson and cash or a draft pick to Phoenix, Jermaine O'Neal to a veteran team with a roster spot and a trade exception like OKC, Brooklyn, or LA Clippers, and the trade exception going to MN.

In the end, Taylor will probably need to eat most of Lou's salary or else let Johnson walk.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#36 » by [RCG] » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

The only Lou I liked in Minnesota was Lew Ford.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM

Post#37 » by shrink » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Lou Nanne?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#38 » by Peezo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:00 am

I really think this thread should have been changed to, "Waive Lou, Max out Chris," a few days ago. It seems like such an easy choice that he is providing our team a lot more than Amundson. It is nice to have a project player that you like cheering for. Sad Dog made it hard to watch most games.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#39 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:15 am

shrink wrote:Lou Nanne?

Ha not a big hockey fan and way before my time :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM

Post#40 » by shrink » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Guys on 10-day deals are always hard to evaluate because they can be good one game and awful the next. They are usually picked because they have one or two good abilities, but can't make a team because they have other major flaws that a good opposing coach will find and exploit.

That said, I think I'd be happy with keeping Chris Johnson for the rest of the season. His good things include athleticism and curling towards the basket well to receive a pass, and that may be enough for now. When Pek is back, I could see Johnson sticking as the #2/#3 back-up center (a position we definitely need to improve).

As for Lou Amundson, I really expected a lot more out of him. I heard nothing but good things from fans of his previous teams, and I expected a Tolliver-like willingness to mix it up, even with limited skills. I thought maybe we're getting an NBA vet would can help some of our younger players, but if that's happening, I'm missing it.

I don't think we'd need to waive Amundson though. On a vet min deal, I imagine one of his previous teams, like IND or PHX, would take his contract off our hands.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves