Doping/enhancement drugs in the NBA?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

konceptonthamic
Freshman
And1: 20

Doping/enhancement drugs in the NBA? 

Post#1 » by konceptonthamic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

While in the aftermath of the who Lance Armstrong situation, my girlfriend and i are talking about if this sorta stuff happens in the NBA as well. I know that the NBA has policies against using enhancement drugs, can someone give me the guidelines of this policy. My girl says that players like Lebron and Kobe probably do it, but I find that hard to believe. Which players have been found guilty, and does this stuff happen alot?

Thanks guys
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Re: Doping/enhancement drugs in the NBA? 

Post#2 » by Lord Eder » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Rashard Lewis got booked a couple years ago, he's never been the same since. And he's a pretty skinny dude, not your stereotypical 'roid head' so who knows how prevalent it is? I think it was something to do with enhancing recovery time.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
MrHidden
Suspended
And1: 14

Post#3 » by MrHidden » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 pm

in before d-wade and his jaw line :)
but i really think players may use HGH due to faster recovery :)
starquest52
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by starquest52 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm

stro wrote:Rashard Lewis got booked a couple years ago, he's never been the same since. And he's a pretty skinny dude, not your stereotypical 'roid head' so who knows how prevalent it is? I think it was something to do with enhancing recovery time.

i agree, lance is skinny as well, not muscular at all, def dosent look like the typical roid head.

snowman888
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by snowman888 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Bron Bron must be on it, no way a person can play that many minutes a game for 10 years and never suffer an injury.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,385

Post#6 » by TorontoBaller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I bet 90% of players have used in the last year.

You need skill to excel in the sport, but the wear and tear on those really long / poorly proportioned bodies would require the HGH and whatever else guys use.

There's too much money at stake not to have had it corrupted by PED's.

Bee-Fense
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#7 » by Bee-Fense » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I think Wade used something around 2008 to make his comeback. And I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe has used something in the past. He seems to be willing to do anything to be the best.

Besides those two I can't really think of anyone that gives me suspicions. I don't think doping is very prominent in the NBA.
deliriousmouse
Rookie
And1: 169

Post#8 » by deliriousmouse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm

They are tested once a year for PED so the policy is pretty weak

Also, im completely for using PED in terms of having a completely neutral doctor for certain injuries ect. If Kobe had to shoot himself up with steroids to help grow back muscles around his knee, Im all for it.
Alepphe
Pro Prospect
And1: 46

Post#9 » by Alepphe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:42 pm

PED use in the NBA makes so much sense that is almost impossible to believe that the wide majority of NBA players are not on a doping program; with doping program i mean a systematic use of banned substances in every part of the season: offseason (to buid muscles for instance), during the season (to recover from an insane schedule) and finalized to peak performances during the playoffs. If you also put into account weak antidoping policies from the league, is even harder to think NBA players are "clean". That said, i have a feeling that in the NBA the playing field is levelled even taking doping into account and this is the most important thing, cause a sport will neve be doping free so what matters is that someone is not doping disproportionally more than the rest of the field. In cycling instead, you could feel -even if we still don't have definite proofs - that Armstrong had so much power that he could have a "special" program respect to an average cyclist. Watching NBA athletes i don't see how someone can believe that doping use is not widespread.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#10 » by MellowRose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Kevin Durant. His arms...

Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#11 » by Sky_Knicks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:58 pm

I doubt these players use illegal substances.

But honestly, I don't care either way. They're in the league because they're the best at what they do. And HGH isn't helping them hit game winners, win rings, cross people up, make nice behind the back passes. They're skilled. Who cares.

Much different than some NFL player roiding up so he can become 3 times stronger in 5 days when they play their rivals lol. Or some MLB pitcher roiding up so he can throw 300 mph. NBA is just too skilled for the doping stuff to be a big issue.
ahunterknight
Junior
And1: 4

Post#12 » by ahunterknight » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:07 pm

stro wrote:Rashard Lewis got booked a couple years ago, he's never been the same since. And he's a pretty skinny dude, not your stereotypical 'roid head' so who knows how prevalent it is? I think it was something to do with enhancing recovery time.

Accept dhea isn't an anabolic steriod. I swear people need to research before saying bull
Nobymoby
Starter
And1: 532

Post#13 » by Nobymoby » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:13 pm

MellowRose wrote:Kevin Durant. His arms...

Wouldn't be surprised, look at how big his head is.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#14 » by MellowRose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm

ahunterknight wrote:

Accept dhea isn't an anabolic steriod. I swear people need to research before saying bull

Is that you Rashard?
snowman888
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#15 » by snowman888 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm

MellowRose wrote:Kevin Durant. His arms...

And Lance Armstrong had killer arms too... Not all PEDs are engineered to make you a muscle head
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#16 » by poeman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Imagine if a legit report came out and said Jordan was taking PED's...How would you feel if Jordan came out like Lance?
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#17 » by otwok » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm

The latest issue of ESPN: The Magazine contains a quote that is already stirring up controversy around the NBA and is sure to ignite a lot of hand wringing all over the sports world.

When asked, "how big of a problem is illegal enhancing in your sport?," Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose’s reportedly said:

"Seven. It's huge and I think we need a level playing field, where nobody has that advantage over the next person."

Rose says now that he misunderstood the question and thought he was being asked how big a problem it would be IF steroids were discovered in the NBA. ESPN says the interview was conducted by a contributor last November and they stand by the quote.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/201 ... z2Id0lR9ha
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#18 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 pm

NBA has acted weird about the whole thing for a while now, long before this Lance scandal.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... magic-fans

I went to the Magic-Pacers game the other night and tried to get coaches and players to talk about why the NBA has been immune from PED scandals, and you'd have thought I was asking them to give up their guaranteed contracts.

Magic coach Jacque Vaughn: "That's far beyond my realm of explanation."

Pacers coach Frank Vogel: "I don't really know why."

Even the effusive Glen "Big Baby" Davis, the round mound of expound, had nothing to say.

"I don't know," he said. "I have no idea."

Well, let me answer the question then. It's because the NBA, for years, has had the weakest drug-testing policy of all major sports leagues and has been given a free pass by media, fans and, yes, the federal government.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Deathray
Junior
And1: 109

Post#19 » by Deathray » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Sports = PEDs, especially when there is a lot of money on the line.

A cardio intensive sport like basketball, with the demanding NBA schedule, really depresses hormone levels (testosterone, growth hormone, erythropoietin), so it makes a lot of sense to take PEDs to keep those levels stable.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#20 » by Lord Eder » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

ahunterknight wrote:

Does that not fall under the category of "doping/enhancement drug"? The guy was suspended for it so it's obviously on the NBA's banned list whether or not it's an anabolic steroid.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky

Return to The General Board