With only 16 teams D-League teams should get their own city?

Moderator: Parliament10

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: With only 16 teams D-League teams should get their own c 

Post#21 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm

If the Raptors have interest in a D-League franchise it would be put in Ontario.

Hamilton, Oshawa, London or Ottawa. No way would they choose to run it in Buffalo.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#22 » by Devin 1L » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:If the Raptors have interest in a D-League franchise it would be put in Ontario.

Hamilton, Oshawa, London or Ottawa. No way would they choose to run it in Buffalo.

To be honest, I'm not sure they would do this for no other reason than passport/travel considerations.

I'd personally like to see one in Buffalo. Big city (relative to some D-League), in the US, close to the Raptors (if we're just assuming a Raptors affiliate,) and would be very good for travel -- there would be a nice little Rust Belt trio of Canton/Erie/Buffalo in the Eastern Conference.

By the way, Marc Stein just wrote a little blurb related to this on his Weekend Dime.

3. Hard as it for me to admit this out loud, I reluctantly have to concede that the prospect of NBA basketball coming back to Buffalo is an extreme long shot. Can't say anyone beyond a few hopeless Braves romantics like me and Buffalo Sports Museum curator John Boutet are pushing for it … especially when the only Facebook campaign I could find makes the modest plea for the Clippers to return to town for a solitary exhibition game. So today I'm launching a new crusade: I want a D-League franchise somewhere near the Anchor Bar! Our Braves can never be replaced, but it's an absolute natural for the Raptors -- if we're really heading for a world in which all 30 NBA teams have their own D-League affiliate like so many folks in hoop circles seem to believe -- to ultimately put theirs in my favorite East Coast city. Let's do this! (It surely makes a heck of a lot more sense than the Raps' current affiliate arrangement … with the Bakersfield Jam.)

Link
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#23 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Devin 1L wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure they would do this for no other reason than passport/travel considerations.

I'd personally like to see one in Buffalo. Big city (relative to some D-League), in the US, close to the Raptors (if we're just assuming a Raptors affiliate,) and would be very good for travel -- there would be a nice little Rust Belt trio of Canton/Erie/Buffalo in the Eastern Conference.

Most of the D-League guys have already played overseas, and if they are looking to make it into the NBA they should already have their passports in order. I don't see that being an issue at all.

Plus the fact the Raptors have already talked about putting a team in Ontario pretty much trumps any talk about Buffalo.

An Ontario-based D-League team works at many levels, Colangelo thinks. Not only does it "extend the brand" of the Raptors, it gives the team far more control that it has now with its affiliate.

http://www.thestar.com/article/293974
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#24 » by EArl » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am

IMHO wrote:
P356 wrote:OP forgot Santa Cruz Warriors.

License2Lillard wrote:Put Warriors team in Sacramento.

They just built a new a new stadium in Santa Cruz. Why would they in Kings territory?

that's the joke...

I come to school in Santa Cruz and they just build a new stadium. The Santa Cruz Warriors. I have yet to go to a game, but I might give it a look.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#25 » by TheToothFairy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 am

RRFB wrote:Why? The D-League will never work as a legitimate farm system for NBA players a la the MLB's minor leagues. Each NBA team isn't going to want to pay an entire roster of players knowing that 99% of them will never actually play in the NBA.

And do the current D-League teams even fill their stadiums? I can see them being successful in smaller towns and states that don't have an NBA team, but why would people choose to go watch a D-League game if there's NBA games going on in the same state.

The D-League is producing a product that generates income. Why would NBA not want a d-league if it doesn't cost them anything or maybe even make a profit?

How many minor league teams fill there stadiums?

I would see a d-leagu tam for $5-10 no problem instead of paying $50-$200 for a NBA game

And how many d-league teams are competing with NBA teams? Zero
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#26 » by TheToothFairy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:48 am

LittleOzzy wrote:If the Raptors have interest in a D-League franchise it would be put in Ontario.

The raptors would put a team in Buffalo in no other D-League teams ant to pay the cost of playing away games in Canada.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#27 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 pm

The Pistons D-League team should be in Grand Rapids, MI not Lansing. The team would never be able to compete with the MSU sports teams.

Grand Rapids already has the NHLs Red Wings affiliate, so putting the Pistons affiliate would just be a natural move.
flasah
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#28 » by flasah » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 pm

The Sixers have their own team now. They bought the inactive Utah Flash, and moved them to Newark, Delaware. They will play at the University of Delaware and be named the Delaware 87ers. Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution, in 1787.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Devin 1L » Wed May 1, 2013 5:53 am

flasah wrote:The Sixers have their own team now. They bought the inactive Utah Flash, and moved them to Newark, Delaware. They will play at the University of Delaware and be named the Delaware 87ers. Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution, in 1787.

As a fan of the D-League, I was stoked to hear this.

I have no personal insight, but I would expect to hear about another team being added as well. I'm going to say the Magic get a team.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#30 » by EArl » Thu May 9, 2013 8:13 am

I dont think every team should get their own city, but at least one Development league in each state that has an NBA team.
I went to a Santa Cruz Warriors game. The environment was pretty lively and not to expensive.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Devin 1L » Thu May 9, 2013 5:48 pm

EArl wrote:I dont think every team should get their own city, but at least one Development league in each state that has an NBA team.
I went to a Santa Cruz Warriors game. The environment was pretty lively and not to expensive.

What?
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#32 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 am

Portland should move the stamped to Salem
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

JustLucky
Rookie
And1: 700

Post#33 » by JustLucky » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:33 am

There is a decent Canadian league already in place close to d league skill. Since most d leauge teams seem to be centered in the south and southwest america. Make this league a seperate conference for the north east teams and you almost have a 30 team farm system. Ontario is alot closer to new york then places like texas and califonia and the ground works already there. You can make and move some of the team to the new york and boston area. Obv buffalo would get one
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Devin 1L » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:23 pm

JustLucky wrote:There is a decent Canadian league already in place close to d league skill. Since most d leauge teams seem to be centered in the south and southwest america. Make this league a seperate conference for the north east teams and you almost have a 30 team farm system. Ontario is alot closer to new york then places like texas and califonia and the ground works already there. You can make and move some of the team to the new york and boston area. Obv buffalo would get one

Neither New York team has a D-League team in Texas or California. They're both already close by.

The logistics of "taking" teams from another league would probably be pretty complicated -- especially if the end goal was to move them somewhere else not even taking advantage of any local ties/history/goodwill.

Doesn't really make much sense to me.

Also seems contrary to the D-League model of slow and sustainable growth.
TMac96
Senior
And1: 60

Post#35 » by TMac96 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:46 am

Every team getting their own team would greatly increase the number of players in the system, thus giving more basketball players a chance to break out and overall increasing the talent base in the NBA. Just looking at a map and the current teams, here's some of my ideas for every team to get their own D-League team.

Relocate the Sioux Falls Skyforce to Tampa Bay to be closer to the Heat.

Sole Affiliations:
Clippers take the Bakersfield Jam
Pistons take the Fort Wayne Mad Ants
Bulls take the Iowa Energy

Expansion:
Jacksonville (Magic)
Charleston (Hawks)
Albuquerque (Suns)
Buffalo (Raptors)
Orem (Jazz)
Virginia Beach (Bobcats)
Louisville (Pacers)