All Hail the new Queen of Basketball. Blake Griffin

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

OffTheWall2
Junior
And1: 116

Re: All Hail the new Queen of Basketball. Blake Griffin 

Post#21 » by OffTheWall2 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Never forget.

This man robbed the Wizards of winning both a dunk contest AND rookie of the year awards.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#22 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:15 pm

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#23 » by AFM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#24 » by montestewart » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Like LeBJ, Griffin often looks like a bull in a china shop, and the broken china keeps getting the foul. There's surely lots of evidence of this already, but when nothing comes of a review of the game tapes (and, you know, maybe they don't even really review them) assume additional confirmation that the new anti-flopping rules were never intended to be applied to superstars.

Arenas used to get a favorable calls. Those were the days. We need some players that can get those calls.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#25 » by dobrojim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:49 pm

it's lucky for Blake dunking is such a valuable skill. If not for that
he'd be a pretty mediocre basketball player. If he's the horse they're
hitching their playoff wagon to, I'm not sure how far they can get.
CP3 is awfully good though.

PS - the teammate of Wall's the Wizards should go after might
better be Eric Bledsoe than DMC. Imagine EB as our 3rd guard.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#26 » by Nivek » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:31 pm

dobrojim wrote:it's lucky for Blake dunking is such a valuable skill. If not for that

Are you sure you don't want to revise and extend these remarks? :)

Griffin is above average in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and offensive efficiency. He's average at blocking shots, below average at shooting free throws, and he commits 0.3 turnovers (per 40 minutes) more than average. His above average efficiency comes on well above average usage. He'd be the best player on the Wizards by a very comfortable margin.

Chris Paul is a phenomenal player -- definitely a league MVP candidate.

I do like Bledsoe.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#27 » by closg00 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 pm

I wasn't aware that the CLipper flops are a problem, I saw one other thread on the topic, this-one was good from the GB.

Lakersmylife wrote:This is why Clipper games are so unwatchable. Even their games that go down to the wire are so predictable in the sense that the games end with Paul, Griffin, or even Billups flopping their way to the line.

Yes, they've been playing great this season, but the flopping is just getting out of hand.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#28 » by dobrojim » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Nivek wrote:
dobrojim wrote:it's lucky for Blake dunking is such a valuable skill. If not for that

Are you sure you don't want to revise and extend these remarks? :)

Griffin is above average in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and offensive efficiency. He's average at blocking shots, below average at shooting free throws, and he commits 0.3 turnovers (per 40 minutes) more than average. His above average efficiency comes on well above average usage. He'd be the best player on the Wizards by a very comfortable margin.

Chris Paul is a phenomenal player -- definitely a league MVP candidate.

I do like Bledsoe.

If you're good enough to keep him from getting his typical number of
dunks, what I see is a pretty average (better word than mediocre) player and
one who definitely struggles to hit non-dunk shots from more than at the rim distance.
Those are big reasons why the Clips lost when they did in the playoff last
year. Opp defenses made Blake a jump shooter.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Nivek » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Not as true this season as it was previous years -- at least so far. Griffin appears to have put in considerable work on his shooting. He's average or better at-rim (duh -- .735 to lg avg .642), from 3-9 feet (.510 to .385), from 10-15 feet (.433 to .415) and 16-23 feet (.390 to .380). Not much of a 3pt shooter, though.

Virtually everyone's efficiency drops when you keep them away from the rim. Griffin -- so far this season -- has become about average at shooting the ball with some range. Which will help him get more attempts at the rim as defenses start respecting him out on the floor. Plus, he's still above average in other categories.

And, he's 23. I'd take him on my team.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,149

Post#30 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Blake shot 5-18. If he shoots like that every time we play the Clips, he is my favoritist player EVAH.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,031

Post#31 » by queridiculo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Finally seeing that Booker gif, wow, I know I wouldn't have had the restraint to keep myself from turning this into a brawl.
AFM
General Manager

Post#32 » by AFM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Nivek wrote:Not as true this season as it was previous years -- at least so far. Griffin appears to have put in considerable work on his shooting. He's average or better at-rim (duh -- .735 to lg avg .642), from 3-9 feet (.510 to .385), from 10-15 feet (.433 to .415) and 16-23 feet (.390 to .380). Not much of a 3pt shooter, though.

Virtually everyone's efficiency drops when you keep them away from the rim. Griffin -- so far this season -- has become about average at shooting the ball with some range. Which will help him get more attempts at the rim as defenses start respecting him out on the floor. Plus, he's still above average in other categories.

No one is saying he's not good statistically. But there are two types of players, those who rely on athleticism and size and those who rely on skills. I appreciate, and I think most people on this board do too, skill over athleticism. I'd much rather watch Duncan or Nene show off some awesome footwork than Blake just going DUHH and dunking it. So when someone says "Griffin isn't that good at basketball" that's usually what they are referring to. His game is still very raw.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Nivek » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 pm

AFM wrote:
Nivek wrote:Not as true this season as it was previous years -- at least so far. Griffin appears to have put in considerable work on his shooting. He's average or better at-rim (duh -- .735 to lg avg .642), from 3-9 feet (.510 to .385), from 10-15 feet (.433 to .415) and 16-23 feet (.390 to .380). Not much of a 3pt shooter, though.

No one is saying he's not good statistically. But there are two types of players, those who rely on athleticism and size and those who rely on skills. I appreciate, and I think most people on this board do too, skill over athleticism. I'd much rather watch Duncan or Nene show off some awesome footwork than Blake just going DUHH and dunking it. So when someone says "Griffin isn't that good at basketball" that's usually what they are referring to. His game is still very raw.

It's probably time that the "Griffin is nothing more than a dunker" scouting report got an update. As noted above, he's shooting jumpers better this season than in his first two years. He's still a good passer -- third most assists per minute among PFs. Shooting and passing -- skills. Maybe his post-up game isn't smooth and pretty, but he appears to be a guy willing to work on his game. He's already improved his shooting...maybe his post-up game is next on the list.

I'd definitely take Duncan over him (for this season), but Griffin -- whatever his perceived faults -- is productive, young and appears to be improving. There aren't many PFs in the game I would take over Griffin.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

AFM
General Manager

Post#34 » by AFM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah, he's no doubt improved his jumper. I don't see much improvement in his post game though. He had a few shots in the last game where he jumped with his back to the basket and tried to spin in mid air before shooting, a common sign of poor footwork IMO.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#35 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 am

OffTheWall2 wrote:Never forget.

This man robbed the Wizards of winning both a dunk contest AND rookie of the year awards.

All hail The Queen.

As to what another poster posted that it wouldn't be annoying if those players played for us.

Personally. I would still be very annoyed and call them a Queen.

Hell, we get on Kevin for being soft. I doubt many here wouldn't call out Blake if he was here.

Personally, I wouldn't want him on a team I root for. I like to like and respect the players I root for.

As of now, I like and respect several of the Wizards players and I expect that to get easier as they win more games and gain more respect and develop their games.
AFM
General Manager

Post#36 » by AFM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 am

Yup, imagine if Wall started flopping and faking injuries.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#37 » by montestewart » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 am

AFM wrote:Yup, imagine if Wall started flopping and faking injuries.

With Wizards luck, he'd probably fake a career ending injury.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#38 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 am

Nivek wrote:It's probably time that the "Griffin is nothing more than a dunker" scouting report got an update. As noted above, he's shooting jumpers better this season than in his first two years. He's still a good passer -- third most assists per minute among PFs. Shooting and passing -- skills. Maybe his post-up game isn't smooth and pretty, but he appears to be a guy willing to work on his game. He's already improved his shooting...maybe his post-up game is next on the list.

I'd definitely take Duncan over him (for this season), but Griffin -- whatever his perceived faults -- is productive, young and appears to be improving. There aren't many PFs in the game I would take over Griffin.

I realize that it's not a good idea to make extrapolations from one game, but I gotta say that Griffin was very unimpressive against the Wizards. He was 5-18, and I know at least two of those field goals were accomplished solely by sprinting up court and outrunning the defense to get deep position against a mismatched defender. Take away those 2 buckets and he was 3-16 in the conventional half court set. Furthermore, half of his free throw attempts were "earned" via star treatment, not on the merits of the play. Basically, Nene, Seraphin and Booker owned him.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,453

Post#39 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 am

Sad thought. It could be queen vs. queen in the finals. Evil vs. evil with no one, other than maybe Caron to root for
In Rizzo we trust
AFM
General Manager

Post#40 » by AFM » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 am

We'll probably make the finals at the rate we are playing. Just let Big Balls pop the clip in the 4th quarter. Who gonna stop a fadeaway 3? WHO?

WHO GOT BIGGER BALLS THAN J CRAW?

Return to Washington Wizards