Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Andrew Wiggins - the next big thing 

Post#141 » by Kabookalu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 am

Respect My Mind wrote:Why are people acting like he'd didn't already play at the Nike Hoop Summit on ESPN? Sure he was one of the better players there, but it wasn't like "OMG this kind has no equal" He' could barely get by people with his dribble.

Like seriously, stop this stupid back and fourth about his game based on YouTube highlights. You can see what he really is below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmmK7FU43U8[/youtube]

I guess it's not worth bringing up that he was the youngest player there? And I think he was nervous that game, didn't look like his usual self.
Read on Twitter
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#142 » by Tave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 am

toodles23 wrote:Am I the only one who's not blown away by this athleticism? He's got a ridiculous vertical, but besides that, nothing about his athleticism really pops out at you. His speed and quickness didn't even stand out that much against other HS kids, let alone NBA players. Maybe I'm completely wrong here and haven't seen him play nearly enough, but he doesn't seem like an amazing athlete by NBA standards.

:o He's explosive in every direction. Look at the way he attacks the rim from all angles, his lateral footwork, or his second bounce following a miss. Then realize you're watching a 15-17 year old kid who just hit a 10" growth spurt. He's an absolute FREAK.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#143 » by Goldtop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 am

idk, I didn't have that wow factor when watching those vids on the 1st page like the rest of the posters in here. 90% of the highlights were just him driving to the basket and dunking. If thats all he can do, judging by his size being pretty spindly, I wouldn't expect him to be able to do that regularly in the NBA with 7 footers guarding the rim. Being a perimeter player, I'd like to see some highlights of his shooting ability. Athletcism only gets you so far, unless you have supreme size, power, or speed to go with it, which doesn't really look like he has.

*I'm not hating, just my honest reaction from those videos, which is all I've seen of him.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#144 » by Tave » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 am

Respect My Mind wrote:Why are people acting like he'd didn't already play at the Nike Hoop Summit on ESPN? Sure he was one of the better players there, but it wasn't like "OMG this kid has no equal" He could barely get by people with his dribble.

Like seriously, stop this stupid back and fourth about his game based on YouTube highlights. You can see what he really is below:

Edit: Video Starts at 28:00

He was the youngest kid there and led his team to victory on an off-night. Not bad and only one game. It's not like he's been playing your normal high school basketball programs.
Respect My Mind
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#145 » by Respect My Mind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 am

Tave wrote:
Respect My Mind wrote:Why are people acting like he'd didn't already play at the Nike Hoop Summit on ESPN? Sure he was one of the better players there, but it wasn't like "OMG this kid has no equal" He could barely get by people with his dribble.

Edit: Video Starts at 28:00

He was the youngest kid there and led his team to victory on an off-night. Not bad and only one game. It's not like he's been playing your normal high school basketball programs.

You can still display superior skill and athleticism without actually making shots. Again, he clearly isn't a scrub but 17 year old Lebron would have destroyed out there.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,014

Post#146 » by rockmanslim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:33 am

If you don't want to watch that entire Nike Hoops Summit game, here's a scouting vid of just the plays Wiggins was involved in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pK2synQRQ[/youtube]
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Respect My Mind
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#147 » by Respect My Mind » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 am

rockmanslim wrote:If you don't want to watch that entire Nike Hoops Summit game, here's a scouting vid of just the plays Wiggins was involved in.

Good play but nothing special. Looks like an athletic Harrison Barnes
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,014

Post#148 » by rockmanslim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 am

Respect My Mind wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:If you don't want to watch that entire Nike Hoops Summit game, here's a scouting vid of just the plays Wiggins was involved in.

Good play but nothing special. Looks like an athletic Harrison Barnes

He didn't blow me away in that game either, but I don't want to make a conclusion based on one game. I want to wait to see what he does in college.

Shabazz Muhammad apparently looked all world in high school (I'm assuming, as I never watched him in HS), but in college he looks quite ordinary.

Maybe the same thing happens to Wiggins, who knows.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,634

Post#149 » by peZt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 am

From yesterday. You can see his exceptional quickness and leaping ability.
http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1462731

He will probably play in this years Nike Hoop Summit too, likely in a matchup with Jabari Parker. Can't wait to see that game.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#150 » by sisibilio » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:33 am

Choker wrote:I guess it's not worth bringing up that he was the youngest player there? And I think he was nervous that game, didn't look like his usual self.

Nervous or not, it was pretty clear, at least to me, he was the most talented player in the game.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#151 » by Kabookalu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 am

sisibilio wrote:Nervous or not, it was pretty clear, at least to me, he was the most talented player in the game.

Agreed with you there.

What I thought popped out the most to me was his jab step and blow by at the 7:50 mark in that Nike Hoops Summit video. I think he could have exploded quicker, but I think his handles were holding him back there. If he develops better handles and jumper his triple threat is going to be deadly.

Read on Twitter
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#152 » by dballislife » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 am

are u guys kidding me he was 2 years younger than almost everyone and prob had the best game
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Gmoney3
Bench Warmer
And1: 445

Post#153 » by Gmoney3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 am

He's going to have to improve his skills 10 fold. I think hes more likely to be a JR Smith, Josh Smith, or Rudy Gay type than Kobe/Lebron/Tmac.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#154 » by branny » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#155 » by Damon_3388 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am

Gmoney3 wrote:He's going to have to improve his skills 10 fold. I think hes more likely to be a JR Smith, Josh Smith, or Rudy Gay type than Kobe/Lebron/Tmac.

So he'll be like Kobe/LeBron/T-Mac, just not as good?
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Post#156 » by D.Brasco » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 am

Damon_3388 wrote:
Gmoney3 wrote:He's going to have to improve his skills 10 fold. I think hes more likely to be a JR Smith, Josh Smith, or Rudy Gay type than Kobe/Lebron/Tmac.

He's saying he'll probably be closer in talent to josh smith or rudy gay than lebron, kobe etc.
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#157 » by King d » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am

Isn't this on the wrong board?
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#158 » by Damon_3388 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 am

D.Brasco wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:

He's saying he'll probably be closer in talent to josh smith or rudy gay than lebron, kobe etc.

But weren't Josh Smith, Rudy Gay, JR Smith etc. supposed to be the next Kobe/LeBron/T-Mac types? That would mean that Wiggins will be a lesser version of those stars, just like the Smiths and Gay are currently.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#159 » by IMAN5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 am

He is going to be the real deal. He won't end up in Toronto though, Stern wont rig things in favor of Canada. Just for NY (ewing) cleveland (LBK) and CHI (rose)
instagram.com/510movement
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#160 » by DanoMac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 am

Return to The General Board