ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Lyrix
Junior
And1: 149

Do the Lakers even have a system? 

Post#1 » by Lyrix » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:47 am

I've maybe missed like 3-4 Laker games this season. Since, D'Antoni has taken over it almost seems like the whole plan is to let Nash and Kobe figure out what to do. It rarely looks like any organization is put into the offense. The defense is well unexplainable. Not putting all the blame on D'Antoni, because there are so many problems with this team, I feel nearly hopeless of the Lakers ever turning this around.

Anyways they look they are playing playground ball. No one knows where to be on either side. Missed passes/assignments. Is it coaching or communication or both? Just off talent alone we should be above .500, injuries included. I'm pretty much just wondering the whole game if they even practice together or just try to work on their individual moves. They have no chemistry at all, even the Smush and Kwame squad had an idea of what they were doing. They look like they have never played together before every game.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Do the Lakers even have a system? 

Post#2 » by LakerLegend » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 am

He's a COMPLETE moron. He doesn't know how to use Howard or Gasol, can't coach defense, and wants an old team to RUN AND GUN?? Fire this moron...
PandGneverfold
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#3 » by PandGneverfold » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:51 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:He's a COMPLETE moron. He doesn't know how to use Howard or Gasol, can't coach defense, and wants an old team to RUN AND GUN?? Fire this moron...

This a billion times.
swag2011
Senior
And1: 17

Post#4 » by swag2011 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:52 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:He's a COMPLETE moron. He doesn't know how to use Howard or Gasol, can't coach defense, and wants an old team to RUN AND GUN?? Fire this moron...

don't forget he wants to chuck up 3 pointers any chance possible.

Thank Jim/Jerry Buss. We had Phil waiting for us and nope, they wanted Showtime.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,722

Post#5 » by leolozon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 am

Nash seems to think that there is, but the players just don't apply it.
"
What’s missing from this team? “Cohesion. We don’t do what we talk about.”

What’s the biggest problem? “We have a hard time conforming to the system.” "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketbal ... tors-kelly
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Lakers Offense 

Post#6 » by Minge » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 am

Nash is the system.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,400

Post#7 » by Slava » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 am

I'll add this here from the GT:

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:I don't even understand the criticism of pick and roll because we rarely even do that. How many times has Dwight set a solid screen for Nash to work with? I can barely remember one instance of it. Pau atleast sets a screen and rolls to the rim.

The offense is just Metta post up, Nash dribble drive, Kobe posting up with one foot on the 3 point line and Kobe dribble drive. Howard post ups once in a while and gets fouled immediately to choke on the FTs.

There is absolutely no coherence to this team.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Lyrix
Junior
And1: 149

Re: Lakers Offense 

Post#8 » by Lyrix » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 am

Minge wrote:Nash is the system.

Exactly, it's mind-blowing that D'Antoni even is considered a coach. He's pretty much just getting payed to watch games and shake his head.
louizzle
Junior
And1: 77

Post#9 » by louizzle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 am

We need to play more half court basketball. Utilize Pau and Dwight in the post and play inside out. I don't care that we have Nash, we need to slow it down. It hurts me inside knowing that someone like D'Antoni is leading this team...
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#10 » by moonpie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 am

Our system is lulling the opponent to sleep for 3 and a half quarters and trying to catch them by surprise in the last 5 minutes.

In all seriousness though our bigs set the worst screens ever.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,800

Post#11 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 am

Yes, it's called burn out the starters because you have no bench.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#12 » by Minge » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:58 am

Comment removed.
albasuna
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#13 » by albasuna » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:12 am

The system can work with this roster.. but the players don't want to do it. I'm not trying to say that Mike D'Antoni system is the best fit for this roster but it can still work. The Lakers should still be winning games under that system. It's just that the players don't seem to want to implement it. Watch the games.. they don't do anything.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:13 am

The Lakers need to go back to being a post up team, when D'Antoni said post ups are the most ineffective play in basketball I knew we were in trouble. We won our last 2 titles using post up sets in the Triangle.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#15 » by minifang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 am

DEEP3CL wrote:The Lakers need to go back to being a post up team, when D'Antoni said post ups are the most ineffective play in basketball I knew we were in trouble. We won our last 2 titles using post up sets in the Triangle.

THIS. Even Mike Brown was smart enough to play us through the post last year. The offense was ugly but we still won enough games to capture the third seed. Who did we have on that bench? Blake, Murphy, and McRoberts...
The Purple and Gold
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#16 » by TwentyOne920 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 am

DEEP3CL wrote:The Lakers need to go back to being a post up team, when D'Antoni said post ups are the most ineffective play in basketball I knew we were in trouble. We won our last 2 titles using post up sets in the Triangle.

This. Look at the top 5 seeds in the West, they all have at least one good post player. Thunder are running Durant more in the post, Clippers have Griffin, Spurs have Duncan, Grizzlies have Randolph/Gasol, and the Warriors have Landry.

Even the Mavs have Dirk.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#17 » by kblo247 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am

"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics.

"We've got to evaluate what's going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I'm looking at myself. I'm a shooting a low percentage right now, and I've got to look at that. It's on me to make shots, but I'm having to make tough shots, getting the ball 30 feet from the basket and [expletive] like that.

"Listen, no one is more critical of their game, of how they're playing, than I am. And right now, I've got to shoot at a higher percentage, have to play better. "

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe- ... 30224.html

His point stands. We misuse Kobe and Pau to promote Nash and Dwight. We need balance and back to basics which win us games. Kobe with ball in the triple threat, Pau on low block ... Nash and Dwight playing off that, winning and championship basketball. We need some triangle like sets and floor balance, as well as defined roles.

As a matter of fact I really think we need defined roles, none of this big 4 bs, straight pecking order, lets keep it real, guys knew when and how they would eat on title teams and even Miami had to establish one last year with Bron, then Wade, and a bosh getting scraps

You got a team of post up players playing pick and roll because the system fits Nash who has never won anything or got the conference playing that way. Nash needs to be Kerr or Fisher, a spot up guy, which is what Phil would have made him over a wannabe Showtime revival artist. Kobe, Metta, and Pau should post up. Dwight should flash to the goal and clean up the trash ala Horace Grant and young Bynum on the title teams. Fact is Phil was a better fit as was the triangle and Princeton O for everyone but Nash, and it shows as we have no floor balance and don't play inside out not just with bigs but with Kobe either except for spurts to get us back in games. And for gods mercy when Nash and Pau are on the floor with Kobe, MWP, and Dwight play a zone over man D.
abaka
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Kobe: We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#18 » by abaka » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 am

Dwight this crab handed **** needs to lose that **** eating grin, realise hes Tyson Chandler and be ready to catch lobs instead of posting up and getting stripped

Nash needs to know his role, stop dribbling in circles and spot up on the 3 point line like you're the rich mans Steve Kerr

Pau needs to man up and just play his game

Earl Clark and MWP are doing fine, Kobe is Kobe

and D'Antoni needs to STFU and just let the players play. its not rocket science, Kobes got 5 rings, he knows how to get it done
BVPN
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Re: Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#19 » by BVPN » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

All of that is nice, but it's the defense that is the problem.
DFC Pride

kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#20 » by kblo247 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Well if we post up guys, mainly putting Kobe in the triple threat and Pau in post, with proper spacing you have floor balance. Floor balance and minimizing possessions while maximizing your look sets the pace of the game. That makes teams take the ball out over running it at you, so you can set up a d. Phil used to dictate pace, and really that's how brown, both Larry and Mike were top teams defensively, they played a low possession game

Return to Los Angeles Lakers