ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#621 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 am

I'm interested if anyone's seen Bennett, how does he project to the NBA as a 3?

The highlight vids of him going coast to coast looks like a 3 to me. Definitely has more sf tools than Singleton.

Offensively this is exactly the type of player this team needs!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
kirubel94
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#622 » by kirubel94 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I'm interested if anyone's seen Bennett, how does he project to the NBA as a 3?

The highlight vids of him going coast to coast looks like a 3 to me. Definitely has more sf tools than Singleton.

He is not a 3, he shows glimpses of it but he is a 4 that can stretch the floor when needed. His main attribute is his face up game but he wont be able to do that with 3's in the NBA but he can use that quickness and brute strength against NBA 4's despite his height limitations.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#623 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I'm interested if anyone's seen Bennett, how does he project to the NBA as a 3?

He looks like a stretch 4 who could play some 3 at times. His release on his shot seems quicker than Derrick Williams and he seems quicker overall.

If the Wizards had shooters at the 2,3,4 that would really open things up for Wall.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#624 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:11 pm

tontoz wrote:

He looks like a stretch 4 who could play some 3 at times. His release on his shot seems quicker than Derrick Williams and he seems quicker overall.

If the Wizards had shooters at the 2,3,4 that would really open things up for Wall.

I feel the same way, I'm really beginning to hope the Wizards trade down from their position for extra first round picks, then this area can be addressed at once. If the Wizards could get one or two additional 1st rd picks without giving up either second round picks, I think they'd be in great shape to get better fast. Think there's a lot of under the radar guys who can provide something the Wizards don't have late first into the second round.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#625 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:43 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:I feel the same way, I'm really beginning to hope the Wizards trade down from their position for extra first round picks, then this area can be addressed at once. If the Wizards could get one or two additional 1st rd picks without giving up either second round picks, I think they'd be in great shape to get better fast. Think there's a lot of under the radar guys who can provide something the Wizards don't have late first into the second round.

100% love this post!

i think if we get number one we move back with a team like the cats or the cavs to pick up both of their picks, if we can somehow move NENE, okafur or ariz for picks as well then i think we could really make an impack next year. there are some really good, underrated guys in this draft. I have posted plenty of names and i think that otto porter will be a really good player in the league, a true prince type guy for sure. so if we can move back pick him up for a little less money and then go and pick up some under the radar guys later in the draft. that would be huge for us. Now to do this genius move we need to get ride of the one guy who will f**k it up. E.G.!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#626 » by Dat2U » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 pm

We get the #1 we should either draft Noel or trade out.

Noel isn't a star but IMO he looks like the safest bet at the top of the draft. I feel comfortable saying he's in the Joakim Noah/Tyson Chandler category at worst and considering the age of Nene/Okafor and the regression of Seraphin this year, Noel would bring some long term stability to the position.

Muhammad I think will score at the next level but I'm not seeing an elite player there. Len should be a starting C but I'm thinking he's Roy Hibbert good as opposed to a big time stud. McLemore, Bennett & Goubert scare me. I'm watching Austin right now from Baylor and I'm not seeing anything special about him. Zeller I can't get a read on yet, so I'm not confident about him either. Marcus Smart looks solid but he's not really a need.

Trading the pick for a vet and/or an unprotected 2014 pick may not be the worst move especially if Noel is not available. There may be draft steals to be found in the post lottery range but even then were talking about solid rotation guys, not any real difference makers from what I can tell thus far.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#627 » by Dat2U » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 pm

tontoz wrote:

He looks like an undersized 4 that some idiot team will stick at the 3 and hope it works, a la the Wizards.

I think he's the definition of a tweener. Even if he can score efficiently on the next level as 4/3 or 3/4, what position could he possibly defend at an adequate level?
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#628 » by mhd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Dat2U wrote:We get the #1 we should either draft Noel or trade out.

Noel isn't a star but IMO he looks like the safest bet at the top of the draft. I feel comfortable saying he's in the Joakim Noah/Tyson Chandler category at worst and considering the age of Nene/Okafor and the regression of Seraphin this year, Noel would bring some long term stability to the position.

Muhammad I think will score at the next level but I'm not seeing an elite player there. Len should be a starting C but I'm thinking he's Roy Hibbert good as opposed to a big time stud. McLemore, Bennett & Goubert scare me. I'm watching Austin right now from Baylor and I'm not seeing anything special about him. Zeller I can't get a read on yet, so I'm not confident about him either. Marcus Smart looks solid but he's not really a need.

Trading the pick for a vet and/or an unprotected 2014 pick may not be the worst move especially if Noel is not available. There may be draft steals to be found in the post lottery range but even then were talking about solid rotation guys, not any real difference makers from what I can tell thus far.

Dat, what do you think about potentially trading the pick for Horford? I think Atl wants to tank for Wiggins. They won't resign Smith, and Horford is good enough to prevent them from being the worst team in the league.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#629 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:
tontoz wrote:

He looks like an undersized 4 that some idiot team will stick at the 3 and hope it works, a la the Wizards.

I think he's the definition of a tweener. Even if he can score efficiently on the next level as 4/3 or 3/4, what position could he possibly defend at an adequate level?

Ryan Anderson can't defend any position but i saw a lot of people willing to spend big money to bring him here. ZBo can't defend either but would be a huge upgrade.

We'll have to see how he measures out at the combine since appearances can be deceiving. People were saying DWill was too small to play the 4 but he had a standing reach of 9' (1" higher than Horford) and weighed 248.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#630 » by jivelikenice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am

Otto Porter off to a good start at ND. His shooting has come along quickly...
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#631 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 am

mhd wrote:
Dat2U wrote:We get the #1 we should either draft Noel or trade out.

Dat, what do you think about potentially trading the pick for Horford? I think Atl wants to tank for Wiggins. They won't resign Smith, and Horford is good enough to prevent them from being the worst team in the league.

Hmmm, is signed for 3 more years after this. I'd say he's one of those solid 2nd tier bigs in the same class as Nene but younger. If it's for Okafor straight up with the pick (as long as it's not the #1) it would be hard to pass that up.

Wall, Beal, Horford, Nene (at least part time) could be a pretty formidable foursome. Likely still possessing a missing link from truly putting us in the conversation with the NBA elite but we'd definitely start get our Atlanta Hawks type respect. 45-50 wins, potential 1st round win depending on matchup. Tough, gritty Eastern Semifinal loser. Depending on how you flip the likes of Seraphin, Crawford, Vesely et al for a useful type of player, you might even be able to hope for a little more.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#632 » by Upper Decker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 am

Can horford guard the 4? Ive always thought he was miscast as the 5 for alt, but now im thinking it maybe because he's not laterally quick enough to guard 4's.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#633 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:38 am

The Hawks have less than $20 million in payroll committed for next season. Why would they feel the need to move Horford?

Yes he can defend the 4 fine. He is one of the quickest bigs in the NBA (at least when he doesn't have the ball in his hands).

He struggles guarding big centers. He is definitely a natural 4.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#634 » by willbcocks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:46 am

Going by the stats, I'm also inclined to draft Noel over anyone else if he's still available when we pick. He looks like a player who will impact the games in many ways, and we no longer have anyone who looks like a longterm solution at starting PF/C.

Shabazz just does nothing but score. I get that we are not a good offensive team, but our two best long-term pieces, Beal and Wall, both project as good offensive players. I would rather get the defensive star big man and try to pick up another scorer via FA than draft a scorer who does almost nothing else (Shabazz).

Scorers are always available via trade or FA. Al Jefferson, Lou Williams, Ryan Anderson--if you add one or two players like that to a team with Wall, Beal, and Noel, you'd have a contender. Great defensive/rebounding bigs, on the other hand, never become available.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#635 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:52 pm

tontoz wrote:We'll have to see how he measures out at the combine since appearances can be deceiving. People were saying DWill was too small to play the 4 but he had a standing reach of 9' (1" higher than Horford) and weighed 248.

When using comps for measurables, you gotta throw out Horford and Noah. Both those guys have unusually short standing reach measurements that don't pass the eye test for me. Basically, you can almost always say that Joe Blow PF prospect has a better standing reach than Horford or that Joe Blow C prospect has a better standing reach than Noah.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#636 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
tontoz wrote:We'll have to see how he measures out at the combine since appearances can be deceiving. People were saying DWill was too small to play the 4 but he had a standing reach of 9' (1" higher than Horford) and weighed 248.

When using comps for measurables, you gotta throw out Horford and Noah. Both those guys have unusually short standing reach measurements that don't pass the eye test for me. Basically, you can almost always say that Joe Blow PF prospect has a better standing reach than Horford or that Joe Blow C prospect has a better standing reach than Noah.

Horford's standing reach is roughly average for a pf, if not above average. His standing reach is 2" higher than Blake Griffin.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#637 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 pm

tontoz wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Horford's standing reach is roughly average for a pf, if not above average. His standing reach is 2" higher than Blake Griffin.

Horford's standing reach of 8'11 may be average for PF's if you count all of the SF/PF tweeners like Beasley, Bass and Mbah a Moute, but if you are looking at true 2-way PF's and PF/C's Horford's reach is short. Heck, there are numerous small forwards with a longer reach.

Here are some small forwards with an equal or greater standing reach:
Paul George
Rudy Gay
Trevor Ariza
Devin Ebanks
James Jones
Donte Green
Luol Deng
Marvin Williams
Kevin Durant

Here are a some PF's who are considered "undersized" who have an equal or greater standing reach than Horford:
Jason Maxiell
MIchael Beasley
Patrick Patterson
Kenneth Faried
Nick Collison
Tristan Thompson
David West

In fact, it's real hard to find starting caliber PF's who have smaller standing reach than Horford. Here's the few that I could find:
David Lee - 8'10.5"
Josh Smith - 8'10.5"
Kevin Love - 8'10"
Paul Millsap - 8-9.5"
Blake Griffin - 8'9"

That's about it. I suppose you can now count Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#638 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Things are starting the shake out.

LA and PHX are clearly trade partners.

Kind of nervous to see what we do next.

Do we bit on going after a Gasol, Howard, Cousins, Gortat ? or do we keep this thing rolling and just draft and keep building like that.

Its all on the table right now. While not the sexiest of the moves, I like going after Gortat. He is solid and seems to be the least headcase of the bunch.

They can then draft another center or SF.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#639 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:15 pm

8'10" or less

TRob
Jason Smith
Hansborough
Milsap
Troy Murphy
Sullinger

Among 4s who don't play center there seems to be a pretty narrow range. Bosh at 9'1" and LMA at 9'2" are the highest i know off the top of my head but both guys have played center. Horford has made 2 All-Star games at center.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#640 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm

I agree with Nate on Horford & Noah's standing reach measurements. Especially Noah's, it's got to be off. I always viewed Noah especially as having long arms and he uses those arms to be very disruptive on D. Horford I can see being a bit shorter standing reach because his chest is so broad and Horford appears to have some trouble with legit 7-0s.

Return to Washington Wizards