ImageImageImageImageImage

Not Many Trade Options for our Lakers Mitch says

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

EnigmaticProblem
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Re: If you were Mitch Kupchak 

Post#81 » by EnigmaticProblem » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 pm

People are ridiculous with this "trade Howard" nonsense. Despite his recent play, this guy is still the best center in the league, and one off-season would go a long way in terms of appropriate recovery and strengthening. Guys who get injured usually have a bad season, but the season after that gets much better. Just look at David West and Zach Randolph (played horrible last year, coming back from injury).

Let's keep the guns away from our temples, folks.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,361

Post#82 » by Vertical Limit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:19 pm

TruSkool wrote:i hate to say it but i think i'd have to trade one of the 2 bigs- gasol or howard. probably gasol.

although, id look to package howard to the grizzlies for marc gasol+rudy gay. this way the gasol brothers can probably be play very well together, and rudy gay would just be a plus/filler.

nash
kobe
gay
gasol
gasol

use mwp as a 6th man.

Problem is Marc is committed to Memphis and would retire there. If you trade Dwight to Memphis he's leaving for Brooklyn or Dallas in the offseason without a doubt. Memphis won't do that trade unless Dwight signs an extension right then and there.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#83 » by contract » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 pm

dunleavyjr wrote:1. Fire Mike 'Antoni - This is just unrealistic from a business perspective. You've just given him a 3-year guarantee contract. You've gotta let him finish his contract before letting him go. Don't give free money.

Wait ... you're willing to let the team go up in flames and waste Kobe's last few years just to avoid giving D'Anotoni "free money" to go away??? :o

:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#84 » by Jetset » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:
TruSkool wrote:i hate to say it but i think i'd have to trade one of the 2 bigs- gasol or howard. probably gasol.

although, id look to package howard to the grizzlies for marc gasol+rudy gay. this way the gasol brothers can probably be play very well together, and rudy gay would just be a plus/filler.

nash
kobe
gay
gasol
gasol

use mwp as a 6th man.

Problem is Marc is committed to Memphis and would retire there. If you trade Dwight to Memphis he's leaving for Brooklyn or Dallas in the offseason without a doubt. Memphis won't do that trade unless Dwight signs an extension right then and there.

you know, i keep seeing this being brought up over and over. "he's leaving to brooklyn in the offseason". can you explain to me how it is possible that the nets get dwight in any possible way other than a trade?
Laker8Nate24
Ballboy
And1: 2

Brooklyn pursuing Dwight?? 

Post#85 » by Laker8Nate24 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Please god be true?!?!?

The Brooklyn Nets are preparing to make another run at Dwight Howard, according to a source.

Playing in Brooklyn with Deron Williams and Joe Johnson was at the top of Howard’s list last summer and the Nets are convinced that he still has a strong desire to make the Barclays Center his home office. The Nets have played well under P.J. Carlesimo and feel like the addition of Howard could be the piece that gets them to the NBA Finals.

Nets general manager Billy King has closely monitored the struggling Lakers and quietly searched for a third team with an attractive piece that would help facilitate a trade that would deliver Howard to the Nets, according to sources.

The Lakers have struggled through injuries, a coaching change and a lack of chemistry this season. The team is currently 17-24 and facing the reality that missing the playoffs seems inevitable. The feeling out of Brooklyn is that Howard can be had for the right price because of the Lakers’ struggles and long-term commitment to a collection of pieces that just don’t seem to fit or complement Howard’s assortment of skills.

The only missing element was a third team with an attractive piece that would force the Lakers to consider the future of the franchise and directly question Howard about the direction he’s leaning at this point of the season. King, according to sources, was confident that he had a trade proposal that was a perfect fit for all teams involved.

According to sources, King was planning to contact the Minnesota Timberwolves in order to gauge their interest in a three-team trade that would send Kevin Love to the Lakers, Brook Lopez to the Timberwolves and Dwight Howard to the Nets. Other small pieces would need to be included, but the proposed trade was thought to be intriguing enough to start conversations in the Lakers front office that would force them to deal with Howard earlier than planned.

That idea, however, was shelved when Love was sidelined 8-10 weeks with a broken hand. The Nets believed the Lakers would be interested in Love, but not an injured Love, even if they’re facing missing the playoffs, according to sources.

King will still look around for an attractive piece for the Lakers, but won’t make getting Howard as big a priority as last season, according to sources. But he will continue to watch the Lakers and explore intriguing trade options, sources said.

Sorry mods I know should prolly be on trade thread but this needed to be seen and would get passed up on trade thread most likely.

not a big deal considering the wiretap but can you make sure to quote and link articles? Also please keep it to 3 paragraphs per RealGM TOS -DD
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#86 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Marc and Pau together doesn't work. It didn't work for Spain in the olympics that for large periods of the game they favored benching Marc for Ibaka because it worked a lot better chemistry wise for them.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Re: Brooklyn pursuing Dwight?? 

Post#87 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:34 pm

I actually like the idea somewhat from a fit perspective on our team but I just don't see how Minnesota trades KLove for Brook Lopez (even if Lopez is having a pretty good year). Is Lopez then going to play PF for Minnesota?
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#88 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Please include a link, max of 3 paragraph quote, and cite the source. Thanks!
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#89 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Marc and Pau together doesn't work. It didn't work for Spain in the olympics that for large periods of the game they favored benching Marc for Ibaka because it worked a lot better chemistry wise for them.

It worked until they faced a ridiculously stacked American team.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
therobg125
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#90 » by therobg125 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm

id gladly take love over dwight....it's not like we play d anyways...but he'd open the floor for pau and he and nash would be deadly from the 3 pt line.....dwight clearly doesn't wanna play here...kevin love clearly loves playing in cali...he played with big expectations at ucla...he would compliment pau/nash/ and kobe pretty well....earl and hill can be our defenders...it's not like we play def anyways...pau is certainly gonna get b***ed around again, but atleast he might be able to put the ball in the basket for the first time in yrs...i mean...well at this point we're an ambarrassment...idc anymorebut dwight clearly never did, soo just ship his arse out...he always wanted to be in brooklyn anyways...shouldn't have taken a chance....
Jetset
RealGM

Post#91 » by Jetset » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm

luckily there's only a month left before the deadline so this is all going to end pretty quickly. i don't know what gives brooklyn the inclination to believe that lopez is worth love, but hey more power to them. maybe riley thinks lopez is worth lebron, that's about the only way dwight ends up in brooklyn. this isn't like it was last year with the magic/nets, brooklyn's all capped out.

if they could deliver love/picks + prospects out the ass then it could be considered. don't know how they do that with only brook lopez, and don't know how many teams are jumping at the chance to pay lopez a max deal over the next couple of years.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#92 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm

TyCobb wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:Marc and Pau together doesn't work. It didn't work for Spain in the olympics that for large periods of the game they favored benching Marc for Ibaka because it worked a lot better chemistry wise for them.

It worked until they faced a ridiculously stacked American team.

I disagree they were benching Marc for Ibaka well prior to that game from what I recall. They did start Marc and Pau together but Ibaka was getting large chunks of minutes next to Pau and it often helped Spain out a lot more.
crazy8ights
Analyst
And1: 75

Post#93 » by crazy8ights » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#94 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

The only reason i think Minnesota would even consider it is if they know they have no chance of keeping Love after his contract is up, but then again there's no need for them to trade love right away. They got two more years to figure a good trade package for him.
swag2011
Senior
And1: 17

Post#95 » by swag2011 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Problem is that LOVE is injured... again. When is he coming back?

Like everyone said, if we can get Love/tons of picks/ prospects like Marshon Brooks etc, i'm all for it. Then flip Pau for maybe Millsap or someone else or other pieces.

Dwight has been a complete disappointment, i'm over him. Like i said this past summer, if he don't wanna be here, i don't want him here.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#96 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

swag2011 wrote:Problem is that LOVE is injured... again. When is he coming back?

Like everyone said, if we can get Love/tons of picks/ prospects like Marshon Brooks etc, i'm all for it. Then flip Pau for maybe Millsap or someone else or other pieces.

Dwight has been a complete disappointment, i'm over him. Like i said this past summer, if he don't wanna be here, i don't want him here.

you don't trade Howard for a PF and then trade Pau for another PF. lol
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#97 » by spree8 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

I didn't see this happening before D'Antoni signed. I thought it'd be a good fit, unfortunately it clearly isn't. The age of the players, the injuries, and styles are not a good match for his gameplan. Unfortunately, waiting until next year for Dwight to be 100% will only make Kobe, Nash and Gasol 1 year older. With the minutes they play, and the pace they play at will be worse than a normal year of balling. Therefore, I think another change in coaching would help...sucks that Phil won't come back, but is there any other coach who can run the triangle? As that would be the ideal system to run here. Hell I'd rather have Jerry Sloan or Scott Skiles. At least the defense would be better.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Jetset
RealGM

Post#98 » by Jetset » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm

hell no, marshon brooks is sewer water. i meant premium quality prospects and picks that actually make trading dwight worthwhile. if brooks, teletovic, low first rounders, etc. is the best brooklyn's got then they can keep "kobe lite" and stay second to the knicks.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#99 » by TruSkool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm

seems like the nets are already working on a plan

goes something like this--

lakers get kevin love
nets get dwight howard
wolves get brook lopez

this won't do **** for the lakers except make them weak defensively, which is our problem to begin with.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#100 » by Slava » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Lets trade him to Charlotte for MKG & picks. May be MJ beating him on the head with a lead pipe in practice everyday will knock some sense into him or else he can turn into the next Kwame.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers