tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Good and Bad.... Extra harder year for Atlanta 

Post#1 » by tcorbin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 am

The Braves one game playoffs

The Dawgs coming up short against the Tide

The Falcons coming up one score short against the 49ers

It has been a good year for sports fan in the GA, but at the same time, it has also felt like a harder fall.

i have a feeling that Hawks will have moderate success in the playoffs and hopefully won't follow the trend.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Re: Good and Bad.... Extra harder year for Atlanta 

Post#2 » by Rip2137 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm

If you take the last 12 months you have to add the NBA admitted missed call for the Celtics in Game 6 last year.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I'll take the Braves losing in the playoffs over collapsing down the stretch and missing them altogether, like the previous year.

I'll take UGA losing by a score in the waning seconds over losing by 32 points, like the previous year.

I'll take losing a close game at home in the NFC Championship over getting embarrassed in the wild card round, like the previous year.

I know it's disappointing, but I see progress in every one of those scenarios. One step closer to the ultimate goal.

Only one team walks away a winner at the end of the year. I won't let one close win ruin what has been one of the best seasons in ATL sports history.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#4 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'll take the Braves losing in the playoffs over collapsing down the stretch and missing them altogether, like the previous year.

I'll take UGA losing by a score in the waning seconds over losing by 32 points, like the previous year.

I'll take losing a close game at home in the NFC Championship over getting embarrassed in the wild card round, like the previous year.

I know it's disappointing, but I see progress in every one of those scenarios. One step closer to the ultimate goal.

Only one team walks away a winner at the end of the year. I won't let one close win ruin what has been one of the best seasons in ATL sports history.

Would have to agree with this. We simply shot ourself in the foot with the turnovers yesterday. Bravos had an unlucky event occur with the umps. Not a big UgA fan, but they put a scare into Bama as they came close to scoring at the end unlike the Irish. Overall its been a good year with a solid chance to repeat it next year.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#5 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'll take the Braves losing in the playoffs over collapsing down the stretch and missing them altogether, like the previous year.

I agree, we've come a long way since the middle part of the decade, the Braves, Dawgs, and Falcons are all legit contenders, the Hawks too if we get a major FA, it's a bright future for the sports teams in Atlanta.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
dpaulh
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#6 » by dpaulh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm

I am kind of hoping the Hawks miss the playoffs. Let's be honest, we aren't winning much in the playoffs this year with this team. Let's get a high pick to go along with two big time free agents and start over with a contender next year. Missing the playoffs would be a blessing in disguise for our team and the Hawks' year will still be positive for all the right moves that were made.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 pm

I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs, and picking up a top 10 pick, along with Houston's pick.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#8 » by Yungsta404 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Yea those loses hurt but atleast we are making progress and you cant be mad at that. All of our teams are competitive and we arent like a city like cleveland where all of our sports team suck. Just be thankful for that.

I would prefer the hawks take another step back if we dont get a major free agent and rebuild our roster the right way with a much better GM in ferry.

The way BIlly King built the team was straight up awful and has set us up to be mediocre. we are still feeling the affects of billy king til this day. He never addressed the PG position or the Center position which are the most important positions in basketball. Our whole team was basically full of forwards ranging from 6,7 to 6,9. It was the worst combination possible because we were slow yet was undersized.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by tcorbin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 am

Gurley might establish himself as a Heisman candidate, but the Dawgs are piratically going to loose everybody on defense, so they might be relevant for the next year or two.

Falcons will always be fine as long as they have Ryan and Julio but they might take a small step back if Gonzalez moves on his 95%. maybe Douglas can turn into a pro bowl slot receiver, or maybe TD can get a guy in the draft like Welker or Harvin. Grimes coming back is going to make a big improvement but TD needs another genius move on the DL to either keep the Falcons were they are or improve just alittle. getting a guy like Michael Johnson could be the answer, or he could go the other way and get a vet like Richard Seymour. but i have a feeling in a year or two, TD is going to make a big move and for Calvin Johnson.

The Hawks still need to make the playoffs, because they still need to convince Dwight, Josh, and CP3 that Atlanta is committed to winning a championship
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Smith needs to move one of Samuels, Robinson, or Grimes to the FS spot, and sell on Decoud. The guy is horrible in coverage, and is suspect in making open field tackles.
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#11 » by parson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

It's hard to complain about any of our DBs when you consider the almost total lack of a pass rush, but I'll agree he's a terrible tackler. Forgetting to wrap up is just mental weakness.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#12 » by Rip2137 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm

William Moore is the guy to worry about since he is a free agent. Samuel and Robinson aren't exactly great tacklers either. DeCloud is okay, but I think you might be able to move him for something since he is going to the ProBowl and all. But if you don't, I am actually fine with bringing him back. Moore is the better player but constantly injured.

The Falcons need to revamp their linebacking corps and just go with a 3-4. Spoon and Nicholas are perfect for the 3-4, you COULD stand up Bierman(I wouldn't stand up Abraham this late in his career). Move Babeniex and Walker to the ends with Peters/Jerry in the middle and I am good.

The Pass rush is the problem and the only problem on our D honestly. As a former DB I HATE when people would expect us to cover a guy for 7 seconds before the QB released the ball. Its nearly impossible. HOPEFULLY they resign Grimes and are able to go with more man to man on the outside and get after the QB.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Moving to a 3-4 is the last thing I want to do. It requires a complete revamp of the front 7. Bierman isn't a great rusher, spoon and Nicholas would be decent, but I would rather keep them in a 4-3 scheme instead, and Babs is the only guy capable of moving to the end, while Jerry and Peters are not NT type guys.

As far as our DB's go, I don't mind keeping Moore as our SS. He plays in the box well, and is a better cover safety than Decoud. Samuels and Robinson probably aren't built to be a FS, but at least they can cover M2M, and both are actually pretty good in making open field tackles, although Robinson forgets to wrap up going for the big hit. Decoud can't read a route, nor ball to save his life and just looks lost in zones.

As you stated Rip, our pass rush is our biggest weakness. Which is why I say move Decoud for something that could land us a pass rusher either in the middle or on the edge.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#14 » by Rip2137 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Oh I would love Moore, I am just afraid he is about to be overpaid so I am worried about losing him. If we COULD get someone to bite on Decloud, i would love it. and his value couldn't be any higher coming off a "pro bowl" season(which is totally based on his first 3-4 weeks of the season).

I have to disagree on Peters not being a NT type. jerry...not so much, but Peters seems like a 3-4 guy all the way. Bierman is a better pass rusher when he isn't coming out of a stance and is pretty good in coverage. I think he would transition VERY well into a 3-4 system behind Spoon and Nicholas. If we moved to a 3-4 we would need both inside linebacker positions and another end.

I personally think that the 4-3 is going to become a relic with how much passing there is in the leage. I think the 3-3-5, the 3-4 and the nickel are the way to go. 4-3 defensive ends are just getting harder to find and so much goes into dominant ones that a change of scenary can make a guy that is a monster in one place look like a kitten in another. I am not interested in anoter Ray edwards debacle. I'd rather add linebackers, get bigger at the nose(if you dont believe in peters there) then keep trying to find another guy at the end.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by tcorbin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 am

Moore and Decoud are fine, although Grimes and Samuel at corner with the hard hitting Robinson at safety would be interesting. Robinson is just a hammer when it comes to tackling. But if TD finds a talented safety in the draft then okay, but i love Decoud's ball hawking skills.

after watching the TE run any where he wants in the intermediary area on the Falcons' defense, it says to me that the Falcons could use a tall speedy ILB, which screams Alec Ogletree, 6'3 ILB with safety speed.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Decoud's far from a ball hawk. If the QB doesn't overthrow the receiver, then Decoud is unlikely to get a deflection or INT. Our secondary is pretty good, but If I am looking for a weakspot, I'm going straight at Decoud.

I think we could use more speed at the LB position as well. I hope we look for a speedy, coverage LB somewhere near the 3-5 rounds though.

A 3-4 defense is such a suspect defense to run. I personally feel If you don't have a mountain in the middle at the nose controlling the run game, then your defense will just get ran on by good running teams who can reach the second level more often. Peters is not that kind of guy.

You say the 4-3 ends are becoming hard to find, but what about the 3-4 nose? Not many Casey Hampton/Vince Wilforks are out there either.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Braves just got a lot more scarier with J Upton in the lineup, and they kept Teheran!
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#18 » by Rip2137 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah, that Up Up Heyward outfield looks scary. I actually like Johnson at 3rd too. We were going to lose Prado anyway, even if I really liked the guy, LOVE the trade.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:05 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Decoud's far from a ball hawk. If the QB doesn't overthrow the receiver, then Decoud is unlikely to get a deflection or INT. Our secondary is pretty good, but If I am looking for a weakspot, I'm going straight at Decoud.

I think we could use more speed at the LB position as well. I hope we look for a speedy, coverage LB somewhere near the 3-5 rounds though.

A 3-4 defense is such a suspect defense to run. I personally feel If you don't have a mountain in the middle at the nose controlling the run game, then your defense will just get ran on by good running teams who can reach the second level more often. Peters is not that kind of guy.

You say the 4-3 ends are becoming hard to find, but what about the 3-4 nose? Not many Casey Hampton/Vince Wilforks are out there either.

If your looking for a Wilkfork type guy then look no further than John Jenkins in the first round, an absolute mountain of a 350 pound man who moves the line of scrimmage at will. He's projected to go in the vicinity of our first round pick, maybe we can trade up to get him but I wouldn't commit myself that much to him as there are plenty of other first round options such as Eifert or Ertz to fill our TE need, Eddie Lacey the best RB in the draft, or a DE like Sam Montgomery. I'd be delighted nonetheless if we did get Jenkins However

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 am

Rip2137 wrote:Yeah, that Up Up Heyward outfield looks scary. I actually like Johnson at 3rd too. We were going to lose Prado anyway, even if I really liked the guy, LOVE the trade.

Indeed the Braves just made themselves serious contenders, especially if Beachy fully recovers from Tommy John

Return to Atlanta Hawks