ImageImageImageImageImage

Whatever happened to protect home-court?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

carmelo115
Rookie
And1: 95

Whatever happened to protect home-court? 

Post#1 » by carmelo115 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 pm

The Knicks started the season 10-0 at home, looking poised to capture the franchise record.

Now they dropped 6 of their last 10 going 4-6, losing to the likes of Portland, Rockets, twice to the Bulls, Celtics and now the hated Nets.

What the hell happened and can we turn this around. Injuries do play a factor but protecting your own floor must be our first priority if we want to contend in the East. We got to get our opponents intimidated when they play in the Garden, instead they are jacking up threes with no care at all and the worst part is that they are hitting them at a high percentage consistently.

Just look at the Nets, Blazers, Celtics, and even the Bulls of all teams that keep burning us at our own game, the three ball.

Do we need to make a trade? Wait for guys to get healthy? Implement a new defensive philosophy? or just do nothing about it at all?

What do you guys think?
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,889

Re: Whatever happened to protect home-court? 

Post#2 » by Jay10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 pm

14-6

out of 20 home games they lost 6.

isn't that protecting home-court? with d'antoni it probably would've been 6-14
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#3 » by NYKBaller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

We're just not good enough right now, simple as that
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#4 » by NYKBaller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

We're just not good enough right now, simple as that
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#5 » by Phish Tank » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:01 pm

what happened to protecting our players while we're at it? When Humphries knocked Prigioni out, that should have signaled that we need to get revenge. Where was that fire from Woodson to put Kurt Thomas or James White in the game to deliver that nasty blow to Humphries' heart (or body) that would debilitate him for a long, long time
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#6 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Team is not committing on defense, we are not making big shots, and Melo is losing his "clutch" factor. His "I am clutch therefore me taking a bad shot is better than passing to an open guy for an easy shot."

Joe Johnson hit a turn around J, Melo air balled after over dribbling and trying to create space on Gerald Wallace.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#7 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Jay10 wrote:14-6

14-6 is 9th best in the league, actually the worse record of any contender.

You got teams that have little shot of winning a title with vastly better records at home.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#8 » by fdr2012 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

We're a .500 team ATM. When Felton comes back, we'll hopefully get back to being a .700 team and regain home dominance.

We are playing better since Shumpert came back though.
carmelo115
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#9 » by carmelo115 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Jay10 wrote:14-6

Losing 6 out of 10 games is not protecting your home-court especially losing to the same team twice (Bulls).
Bran Fast Hands
Banned User
And1: 798

Post#10 » by Bran Fast Hands » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:His "I am clutch therefore me taking a bad shot is better than passing to an open guy for an easy shot."

This is one of most disliked things in Basketball. How often do you see a guy chuck a contested bad shot just because he has hit a 20% of game winners attempted in the past? Coaches should really draw up plays knowing the dfense is going to focus on one guy rather then just give the ball to the guy and expect him to get the job done, quite often when he is being double teamed.

Sorry for the OT rant.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#11 » by seren » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Obama happened. They are coming after our guns.

Oh wait. Wrong thread.
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#12 » by TheGarden » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Its a process guys, we're banged up, STAT and Shumpert are getting acclimated

We're going to lose games the real season comes after the all star break when STAT and Shumpert get in game shape and rhythm, Felton and Camby come back and Wallace comes back if he ever does if not we sign Kenyon Martin and keep it moving

Timing is everything, we started hot and slowed down so obviously we'll get hot when it counts

stop over analyzing every loss, win or slump
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#13 » by br7knicks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

fdr2012 wrote:We're a .500 team ATM. When Felton comes back, we'll hopefully get back to being a .700 team and regain home dominance.

We are playing better since Shumpert came back though.

??? :crazy: :eek1:
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#14 » by denterprise » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 pm

TheGarden wrote:Its a process guys, we're banged up, STAT and Shumpert are getting acclimated

We're going to lose games the real season comes after the all star break when STAT and Shumpert get in game shape and rhythm, Felton and Camby come back and Wallace comes back if he ever does if not we sign Kenyon Martin and keep it moving

Timing is everything, we started hot and slowed down so obviously we'll get hot when it counts

stop over analyzing every loss, win or slump

Good points! When you have to re-acclimate as many important players as we have had to do, it can disrupt the flow of your game. Yes there are areas we need to improve on and they better address those areas, but we are no where like we use to be. If we are going to have a slump this is the best time to have one. I believe we are going to make some noise in the playoffs when it really counts. I would rather we struggle now, than wait until the playoffs and not be at the top of our game.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#15 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 am

we started hot and have a little bit of a slump right now especially without our PG

everyone calm down

were not the Lakers!!!
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#16 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm encouraged by what I've seen out of Shump. I think he's gonna be huge down the stretch. I didn't think it was possible for him to be at this point this quickly but he's really impressed me with his recovery. His defense is already there just need to build his minutes up over time. I think solidifying the backcourt, and getting Kidd back to his true role will be huge.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
J0rdan4life42o
General Manager
And1: 263

Post#17 » by J0rdan4life42o » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Let's remember, Kidd was being praised for his ability to hit open 3s and move the ball on initial drive and dish passes that resulted in great ball movement and high percentage looks from 3... With Felton out, NY has struggled mightily offensively...we've seen more isolation heavy plays being run for Melo and JR and Kidd being forced into a role he's physically not meant for anymore. The defensive lapses is the entire teams fault, staff and players...but let's remember...people started complaining about the defensive inconsistencies dating back to the first Houston loss. But guess what, from that game up until the Christmas game where Felton got hurt, NY still compiled a 14-6 record Over those 20 games with wins over Miami, Denver, Brooklyn and a tough loss in Chicago. NY went 7-2 at home over that stretch...

Yes, the losing isn't only a result of missing Felton, but he's a big part of it. And yes, you can point to the tougher teams we've been facing, but I'm more inclined to say that it goes to show you how much he's been missed. The offense stagnates too often and the shootings been down across the board with him gone and Kidds effectiveness is severely diminished playing full time point. Compound that with Amare and Iman being worked into the rotation, you can at least understand where some of these struggles are coming from.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#18 » by Sark » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm

The rest of the league figured us out, and Woodson has refused to make adjustments. That's what happened.

The injuries are just a lame excuse. Every team has injuries. The Bulls just the other day beat the Lakers without Rose and without Deng.

Return to New York Knicks