ImageImageImageImageImage

Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

ballaholick
Rookie
And1: 93

Re: Kobe: We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#41 » by ballaholick » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

abaka wrote:Dwight this crab handed **** needs to lose that **** eating grin, realise hes Tyson Chandler and be ready to catch lobs instead of posting up and getting stripped

Nash needs to know his role, stop dribbling in circles and spot up on the 3 point line like you're the rich mans Steve Kerr

Pau needs to man up and just play his game

Earl Clark and MWP are doing fine, Kobe is Kobe

and D'Antoni needs to STFU and just let the players play. its not rocket science, Kobes got 5 rings, he knows how to get it done

+10000000
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Re: Do the Lakers even have a system? 

Post#42 » by Slava » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 pm

EnigmaticProblem wrote:
SlavaMedvedenko wrote:I don't even understand the criticism of pick and roll because we rarely even do that. How many times has Dwight set a solid screen for Nash to work with? I can barely remember one instance of it. Pau atleast sets a screen and rolls to the rim.

The offense is just Metta post up, Nash dribble drive, Kobe posting up with one foot on the 3 point line and Kobe dribble drive. Howard post ups once in a while and gets fouled immediately to choke on the FTs.

There is absolutely no coherence to this team.

I've seen you complain about this a few times, so I'll explain it to you. D'Antoni, Howard, and Nash, all at some point, have talked about wanting to use the "pick" as more of a "touch and go"/"flash and go" type of thing, rather than an actual pick. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that this isn't completely on Howard.

That would make sense if he atleast opts to come up for a screen. He's just looking for post ups at this time and when he does receive it he just gets stripped or fouled. He atleast used to do work in getting good low post position early on in the season and now he's become too lazy to even do that.

He's just not working hard and I refuse to believe its the injury because he was much better early in the season.

You cannot blame the play when you are not even running it the way its meant to be, Nash needs that separation to work on his passing and now he's just being closed down far too easily.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Re: Kobe: We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#43 » by leeprettyp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 pm

ballaholick wrote:
abaka wrote:Dwight this crab handed **** needs to lose that **** eating grin, realise hes Tyson Chandler and be ready to catch lobs instead of posting up and getting stripped

Nash needs to know his role, stop dribbling in circles and spot up on the 3 point line like you're the rich mans Steve Kerr

Pau needs to man up and just play his game

Earl Clark and MWP are doing fine, Kobe is Kobe

and D'Antoni needs to STFU and just let the players play. its not rocket science, Kobes got 5 rings, he knows how to get it done

+10000000

+50000000
Hon-essim
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#44 » by Hon-essim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 pm

System is: Nash -> Young Guys. Rest -> Kobe. Hot Kobe -> Play Hard on D. Rebound well and get Fast Break Opportunity -> Post up Howard. Howard fails -> drop plan until several possessions -> Post up Gasol. When either Howard or Gasol makes one mistake -> get Kobe hot to fadeaway. When Kobe is not hot -> Back to Nash.

Problems with the system besides the obvious problem with D'Antoni:

Dwight fails on O, Dwight sulks on D

Gasol out of position hates not having Odom when he posts up to bail him out and tries to go Kobe on D on his man

Kobe gets hot, Kobe does not like to pass except for bail out passes that play to the motion of last season's underrated Bynum

Nash then tells everyone to slow down. Nash when slowed down plays like Dallas Nash trying to throw Jason Kidd passes. Nash then turns it over forcing Nash to run back. Nash runs back then he's more tired and sloppy running on offense and Dwight has no pity for Nash's fatigue.

Rest of the team try to figure out how to be anything but a jump shooter and a rebounder.
Gerhalt11 wrote:What? He produces better results than he should? Fire that guy!

No coach. No GM. Probably no star. I swear, in my 23 years of following this team, I can't name a stranger time than this moment to be a supporter of the Magic.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#45 » by Kilroy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 pm

tenten wrote:
minifang wrote:
Dwight Howard attempted just five shots in the Los Angeles Lakers' 95-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday.

Howard expressed his frustration with his lack of touches.

"Look at the stat sheet," Howard said. "Look at the stat sheet."

Howard also proposed a solution for the Lakers' offense.

"It's simple. Play inside-out."

Howard would not be venting his frustration if we were running the triangle. Every play is initiated in the post...

-____________-

Sorry Dwight,
I looked at the stat sheet, yes you only had 5 official shots, but you also have 4 turnovers and shot 4 for 8 on ft.
I wonder how much Lakers will be better if you have 10 to's and shoot 15 for 30 on ft's. I'm sorry, you're probably half as good as Shaq in his Lakers days, no where near Shaq's Orlando days.

Also, in the third, Pau came in and focused just about all his effort on feeding Dwight from the high post... And he was pretty successful at it... But Dwight bobbled the passes, was stripped or was fouled and couldn't convert the free-throws...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#46 » by supaflash » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I only got to see the first half but I also saw 3 or 4 turnovers that went to other guys on passes that Dwight couldn't react to, mostly because he was getting in a tiff with Nazi freaking Muhammed. So he's bumping and holding you, be superman and be aggressive and get the damn ball instead of just watching it fall out of bounds. I know he's not 100%, but Dwight's game and effort are kind of weak. Both him and Gasol... I miss Drew getting deep position and holding it, and then keeping the ball high. The commentator made an interesting observation on how much space Dwight needed to operate because all of his stuff is running hooks and bulling, going around people, except he's not Shaq. Even Shaq and CWebb pointed out he never runs the floor and seals.
Ockham
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#47 » by Ockham » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 pm

minifang wrote:
Dwight Howard attempted just five shots in the Los Angeles Lakers' 95-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday.

Howard expressed his frustration with his lack of touches.

"Look at the stat sheet," Howard said. "Look at the stat sheet."

Howard also proposed a solution for the Lakers' offense.

"It's simple. Play inside-out."

Howard would not be venting his frustration if we were running the triangle. Every play is initiated in the post...

-____________-

100% agree, but the problem is the play usually doesn't finish there with a monster dunk

If we were running the triangle, the questions should be...Could Dwight send back the ball to any vertex? or...if every guy is moving and changing his position around him...Could he found where is the f** vertex of the f** triangle...or rectangle..or whatever?

If we want to run a championship-level Triangle, I don´t think we can convince Dwight to study Geometry :)
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#48 » by deNIEd » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Aki wrote:that we're still the lakers, that we'll have 70 MILLION dollars in expiring contracts. if dwight re-signs, we'd still have space for 1-2 max FAs when kobe/pau/MWP/blake/hill/everyone else comes off contract

and then we can hit the hard reset button, and because we're the lakers, we'll get our guy(s), and we'll sooner rather than later, we'll be king of the mountain again.

Eh, more like 1 Max FA and 1 FA near the Max. This is also assuming Kobe/Pau/MWP/Blake/Hill/Clark/Everyone else will have their rights waived and will not be resigned in 2014.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#49 » by moonpie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

I think we all envisioned an unstoppable Nash/Howard pick and roll, but there are a few issues here.

1. Dwight is clearly not 100% both mentally and physically
2. Lack of cohesiveness because of the coaching change, multiple injuries, etc...
3. Dwight slips most of his screens instead of setting a solid hard pick, making it harder for Nash to do what he wants to do off the PNR
4. Dwight seems to want to be a primary post option (ala Bynum) instead of being a PNR big even though the stats say that he is the best (or was the best) PNR big in the league. The problem with this is that Dwight is turnover prone in post isos as he doesn't really have great fundamentals (i.e. keeping the ball low instead of high) nor great touch around the rim. If he does get deep post position, opponents will just foul him and send him to the line where is a dreadful FT shooter.

Goes back to the point I keep harping about. We've got too many star (ME ME ME) mentalities on this team and not enough Jordan Hills and Earl Clarks. Just my .02 cents.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Re: Kobe: This Ain't Working; We Need to Get Back to Basics 

Post#50 » by AdonisDeMarion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Gasol should be our center, he's at his best from the post. Howard can play power forward for us. I know Howard can't shoot but Gasol feed him while he cuts to the basket. Howard is at his best when he is rolling to the basket. Gasol and Howard should be taking most of the shots. That's 14 feet of two of the best big men in the NBA, so why not use them the right way. Bryant is at his best when he works closer to the basket, his midrange game needs to come back all this shooting from downtown needs to be reduced to 3 per game. As for Nash he needs to shoot more from downtown, he's a pure shooter and he's not doing it enough. If Nash shot the ball more it would space the floor even better for our post game. MWP, Jamison and Meeks can space the floor. MDA has to play Meeks, I know he's a streaky shooter but if this guy gets hot from the arc he could really be a great x factor for us. Clark has been a bright spot for us and with Hill gone I think he should get those minutes.

We have what we need to win but our coach is trying to make us into something were not. We can't run this team has two seven footers for crying out loud. We should never run, this team was built to be a half cout team so we can punish teams in the paint. The OKC series was a lot closer than everyone thinks, game 2 game 3 and game 4 could've went to LA and we would've returned to OKC with a 3 to 1 game lead.

My point is we have all the players we need, we just need to play inside-out. This is the only way to turn it around. Gasol in the post will open things up and get him back to playing the way he did this past summer. Howard feeds of Gasol, Bryant and Nash with cuts to the basket. Howard gets more touches and he won't have to post up, the number one roll man getting fed by three of the games best passers.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#51 » by BEazy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 pm

After the game he brought a stat sheet around the locker room to show some teammates and reporters how he got only five field-goal attempts ... a few minutes before the demoted Gasol spoke gracefully across the room about "not pointing fingers, owning up to our responsibilities, wanting to get out of this and having the pride necessary that it takes to utilize our talents and go beat the opponent – no matter who it is, no matter where we are."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/howard-408753-lakers-team.html

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#52 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 pm

and the day afterwards Rudolph comes out with the trade story and hints on radio that if D'Antoni is the coach for next year Dwight would be advised to possibly look elsewhere. What a surprise.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#53 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Should have never hired Mike in the first place.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#54 » by AcecardZ » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm

TyCobb wrote:Should have never hired Mike in the first place.

+ ∞

I'm tired of a lot if things, mostly losing, but it's very clear we're not a team built to run D'Anphoni's system. Whatever that system may be.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#55 » by Tirion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:19 am

On the issue of Howard's belief that the ball simply doesn't go through him enough on offense, Bryant rejected the premise.

"I've tried to go out of my way to get him the ball," Bryant told Y! Sports. "Sometimes I end up looking like an idiot, because I get up in the air, I've got a shot, but I try to find him. But he thinks I'm going to shoot, so his back is turned. I'm trying to think about getting him the ball a lot – take care of him as much as I possibly can. It takes me out of rhythm a little bit, but I'm fine with that. If that's going to help our team, I'm more than willing to do that."

Kobe Bryant 907
Dwight Howard 397

tenten
Junior
And1: 32

Post#56 » by tenten » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 am

TyCobb wrote:Should have never fired Mike in the first place.

fixed
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#57 » by TyCobb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 am

Nah, I meant that for Brown and D'Antoni.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Wreckus13
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#58 » by Wreckus13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 am

The whole jarrod Rudolph story on 710 am today pointed to one question apparently. Dwight or Mike D. And if our FO is faced with that choice mike dantoni is a good as gone.
ball teacher
Starter
And1: 259

Post#59 » by ball teacher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am

Dwight won't be a Laker as long as Kobe is there. Trade him now or risk losing him when the season is up because he will walk at season's end. Kobe throwing Howard under the bus in this most recent interview probably just sealed the deal.
"Thou shalt not test basketball Mcjesus at the rim or ye shall receive the forearm of righteousness" Flip Murray
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#60 » by kblo247 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 am

Tirion wrote:
On the issue of Howard's belief that the ball simply doesn't go through him enough on offense, Bryant rejected the premise.

"I've tried to go out of my way to get him the ball," Bryant told Y! Sports. "Sometimes I end up looking like an idiot, because I get up in the air, I've got a shot, but I try to find him. But he thinks I'm going to shoot, so his back is turned. I'm trying to think about getting him the ball a lot – take care of him as much as I possibly can. It takes me out of rhythm a little bit, but I'm fine with that. If that's going to help our team, I'm more than willing to do that."

Kobe Bryant 907
Dwight Howard 397

Considering Dwight's missed some games, got tossed out of 2, struggled with Dantoni in some, and got hack a hoarded for a 4 game stretch or so to start Dantonis tenure, not really. Dwight's fgas would be e second highest if he could pull a Shaq and finish a damn shot while being fouled or stopped bring the ball low to be stripped.

Nash hasn't played 20 games, and Pau has missed 13

Return to Los Angeles Lakers