ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#641 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Sorting the draft express measurements by standing reach it appears that the average is closer to 9'. For some reason i couldn't find Ryan Anderson.

I trust a tape measure much more than the eye test. I remember one guy on here that was so sure Derrick Williams was below 6'7" barefoot that he was willing to bet on it. I wasn't in the conversation but i thought it was hilarious that someone actually thought they could tell someone's precise height by watching them on TV.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#642 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

tontoz wrote:8'10" or less

TRob
Jason Smith
Hansborough
Milsap
Troy Murphy
Sullinger

I said it's hard to find starting caliber PF's shorter than Horford. I mentioned Millsap. The guys you mentioned are low minute scrubs.

The point is, Horford is either an unusual case of a guy who looks and plays much taller than he is, or those measurements are off. The fact that another notable big in his draft class (Noah) also seems to have measured small makes me think the measurements are off.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#643 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 pm

tontoz wrote:I trust a tape measure much more than the eye test. I remember one guy on here that was so sure Derrick Williams was below 6'7" barefoot that he was willing to bet on it. I wasn't in the conversation but i thought it was hilarious that someone actually thought they could tell someone's precise height by watching them on TV.

I trust tape measurements for no-shoes-height and wingspan. Standing reach is much more subjective. It depends on how far the player is stretching.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#644 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Standing reach has honestly become a huge tool in evaluating bigs. Like Nate says, there just aren't many cases of where big guys measured 8'10 or less become anything. I'd bet money Noah's measurement is off. Horford may be a bit short but he's the exception to the rule. If you can get accurate standing reach measurement, if the guy is in the 8'10 range or below, he'd better be a SF or be a once a decade type of athlete like Blake Griffin or LeBron James otherwise I'm not drafting him.

One of the reasons I'm very skeptical of Anthony Bennett is I suspect he'll be somewhere in that 8'9 or 8'10 range. His skill level reminds me of Michael Beasley too. Skill wise he's not quite at the level of what expected from an NBA SF so he may have some issues down the road.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,761

Post#645 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Noel, offensively, scares me. Just because he doesn't seem to have an offensive game at all. Other than Nene, we don't have a true back to the basket player.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#646 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Noel, offensively, scares me. Just because he doesn't seem to have an offensive game at all. Other than Nene, we don't have a true back to the basket player.

I agree. I haven't seen one good offensive move from him. Granted i haven't watched him a lot.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#647 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm

tontoz wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Noel, offensively, scares me. Just because he doesn't seem to have an offensive game at all. Other than Nene, we don't have a true back to the basket player.

I agree. I haven't seen one good offensive move from him. Granted i haven't watched him a lot.

If your drafting him for offense you would be disappointed.

I don't think he'll ever average 15 ppg per game.

Offensively I think he's somewhere b/w Tyson Chandler (closer to where he is right now) and Joakim Noah (which would be the higher end of the offensive abilities). He's naturally an instinctive passer like Noah so that's one unique offensive aspect he has.

But there's no doubt much like Chandler & Noah, Noel is going to make his money on the defensive end of the court & on the boards.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#648 » by Illuminaire » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:09 pm

I'd love to get Noel. Great defense and passing, and he can make his points off of dunks and put-backs.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#649 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm

If Noel can be like Chandler on offense, I'm okay with that. Chandler figured out a few years ago that he could do just fine offensively with put-backs and dunks. He basically doesn't shoot unless he's at the rim. A LOT of guys would become much more productive if they'd limit themselves to what they do well. Not saying guys shouldn't try to improve their skills, but their production can improve by doing what they do well until someone can make them do something different. Too many guys hurt their teams by trying to show everyone they can dribble behind their back or shoot a 20-footer.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#650 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:30 pm

exactly - don't want guys out trying to prove how skilled they are instead
of proving how big they are (assuming they actually are BIG).

Been there, seen that.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#651 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

just by watching them both, i think len could be more like chandler than noel could. IDK i just think we trade back, pick up an extra pick and try to grab otto porter and kelly olynyk. then in the second round we grab a shooter and maybe another big, Ryan kelly, Shan killpatrick, A.J mathews, Solomon Hill, Carrick Felix etc.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#652 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 am

Both Maryland and KU playing tonight at 9
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#653 » by dangermouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 am

Noel would be good, we could move Okafor once we got him really. He brings the rebounding and shot blocking, maybe not straight away but once he adjusts to the NBA of course. And apart from garbage buckets he could be a good alley-oop target for Wall, as well as being more mobile than Okafor and able to sprint down court with the team on a turnover.

I'm still sorting it all out as the college season continues, but he is in my top 3 right now.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
hands11
Banned User

Post#654 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:10 am

What about MBP II
tontoz
RealGM

Post#655 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 am

hands11 wrote:What about MBG II

Who was MBG1?
hands11
Banned User

Post#656 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 am

Just watch KU who lost.

Nerlens Noel is surely nimble for his height. 7 blocks which I think was a career high. He would need to fill out but he is interesting.

Alex Poythress was not even noticeable on the floor. Stay away. Did nothing and fouled out.

Kyle Wiltje is an interesting player. White kid that is not that athletic but has some game.

Bama

Moussa Gueye is a big boy. Not sure where or if he gets drafted but you noticed him on the floor.

Saw some MD also.

Wasnt over impressed with Len. He got number just because he was big not his game is not skilled.
MD guards and forward looked pretty good but I wasnt really following names as I was flipping channels.

So far, this draft is looking pretty back. Otto still stand out from what I have seen. Same with what I saw of CJ Leslie.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#657 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 am

Yeah, the KU game was not a great offensive game and really showed the need for good PG play at the college level. Hands, you're correct that 7 blocks is Noel's career high, but it is the 5th time he's done it. He leads his conference in blocks and is 2nd in steals and rebounds. He moves as quickly as anyone his size that I've seen - particularly in his ability to jump quickly. If KY only had a legit PG, maybe we'd see an offensive game.

Poythress - I concur. His stats for the season are good, but he looks lost at both ends.

Wiltjer - will play in the NBA as a classic face 4 - shooting 3's. He's one of the few KY players that can pass. Obviously needs to get stronger. I think he has the frame to do it, but it doesn't look like he's done the work so far to get stronger.

Gueye - people who say Noel has no offensive game, should watch Gueye. That's a guy who really has no offensive game. Good athlete, though. I wonder if he could play TE in football - at 7', because he ain't gonna make it in the NBA.

CJ Leslie? Meh. Howell is rated lower, but he'll play in the NBA longer than Leslie. When you NEED a rebound in crunch time, Howell is as good as it gets.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#658 » by Knighthonor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 am

tontoz wrote:
hands11 wrote:What about MBG II

Who was MBG1?

Michael
Bryant
Gilbert
hands11
Banned User

Post#659 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am

Knighthonor wrote:
tontoz wrote:
hands11 wrote:What about MBP II

Who was MBG1?

Michael
Bryant
Gilbert

Opps. Fixed.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#660 » by dandrews » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:39 am

I've heard multiple people say that Noel and Anthony Davis are equivalent on the defensive end, but Davis has much more offensive upside. I'd certainly be fine with drafting that

Return to Washington Wizards