ImageImage

Cleveland-Memphis deal (Leuer for 1st, Speights and others)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 943

Cleveland-Memphis deal (Leuer for 1st, Speights and others) 

Post#1 » by Lippo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... _For_Leuer

couldn't we have taken on these 3 contracts and got a 1st?
przy for speights/selby and Ellington, we actually need SG depth/
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Re: Leur for 1st 

Post#2 » by bigkurty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

I believe we would have had to drop players to pull this off in addition to absorb more salary for this year and and have speights under contract for next year. Plus the pick will be really bad so it is a high price to pay for for a late 1st. Totally makes sense for both of those teams but not for our IMO.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#3 » by emunney » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

This is about cap space, not Jon Leuer. File this one under, "Things to tell people when they ask why we should try to get cap space because no big free agent will ever sign with us."
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#4 » by drew881 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah, you can do this kind of deal if you aren't paying Drew freaking Gooden millions of dollars.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,832

Post#5 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:31 pm

No news here. Most of us tankers/rebuilders have lamented for years that this is the type of opportunity the Bucks would have every year if they just had the common sense to rebuild the right way.

That said, I'm enjoying this year and I think they're going to go on a hot streak soon, so I'mm not lamenting the fact that they won't/can't tank this year. I just hope they don't trade for a bad contract.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#6 » by BucksFanSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 pm

DISREGARD

This report is incorrect. The 1st round pick is coming from Cleveland, not Memphis which makes more sense.

Here is the actual trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88680 ... ayer-trade
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#7 » by BigDoggyStyle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

No...it says clearly in that article that Cleveland is getting the pick. And it'll likely be 6-14, which actually makes it a bigger deal for the Cavs. Getting a lotto pick is huge.
giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#8 » by giraldo5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm

BucksFanSD wrote:Thas report is incorrect. The 1st round pick is coming from Cleveland, not Memphis which makes more sense.

No, it from Memphis to Cleveland, and it makes perfect sense for both clubs.
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#9 » by BucksFanSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm

giraldo5 wrote:
BucksFanSD wrote:Thas report is incorrect. The 1st round pick is coming from Cleveland, not Memphis which makes more sense.

No, it from Memphis to Cleveland, and it makes perfect sense for both clubs.

They updated the ESPN article. It said previously what I mentioned. Now both reports are the saying the same thing. The pick is going to Cleveland.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Re: Cleveland-Memphis deal (Leuer for 1st, Speights and othe 

Post#10 » by CanadaBucks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Evidently the 2015 pick is 1-5 and 15-30 protected for both 2015 and 2016. It is top 5 protected for 2017 and 2018. Hard for me to get excited about a draft pick 4 or 5 years away, no harm in the Cavs doing that deal though. Think it's one of those trades where both teams benefit.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#11 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm

I found it interesting that the Grizzlies immediately signed Bill Walker, Delonte West, and Sasha Vujacic to replace the players they traded.
RandyBreuer
Sixth Man
And1: 174
Location: hoistin' 3s like Delfino, pimpin' 4 recruits like Pitino

Post#12 » by RandyBreuer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm

love this deal for Clev, and if you are Memphis it sucks to have to give up a first to get under the luxury tax
to me Memphis is now stuck....guess it's better to be stuck at about 55 wins versus 44.

a few gems from the their board:

grizzlies50 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm

What a **** trade by horrible GM and front...

MEM
Marreese Speights
Wayne Ellington
Josh Selby
1st round draft pick top 5 protect

CLE
John Leuer

I know this trade is salary cut trade. but why we gave up 1st round draft pick?
This trade is absolutely horrible terrible miserable for Grizzlies.

I do not remember who offered Rudy Gay Max contract???
If Grizz GM and front and owner negotiate with Rudy Gay he might be accepted 11-13M per year.
Rudy Gay Max contract is killing our team today.
New Onwer must fire GM or GM must resign tomorrow.

by vanjulio on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 pm

rudy wanted a 5 year $60M and they refused him... then a year later had to pay MORE to keep him. it was really bad. They didn't want him to test the market and overpaid.

If he is the Allstar he could be... the contract ain't bad. He's no allstar though. Allstar doesn't dribble it and turnover like he does every game.
Drugbust wrote
"Sorry if my opinion offended your delicate sensibilities"

In Horst we trust.
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#13 » by BucksFanSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I found it interesting that the Grizzlies immediately signed Bill Walker, Delonte West, and Sasha Vujacic to replace the players they traded.

I am glad Delonte West is playing basketball again. He seems to be serious in getting his his bipolar disorder under control and not making the same mistakes as in the past.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#14 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

BucksFanSD wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:I found it interesting that the Grizzlies immediately signed Bill Walker, Delonte West, and Sasha Vujacic to replace the players they traded.

I am glad Delonte West is playing basketball again. He seems to be serious in getting his his bipolar disorder under control and not making the same mistakes as in the past.

What leads you to believe that? The Mavs released him in the preseason because he was causing problems and at least one but likely more teams have passed on signing him since because they don't want to deal with him.
DWagner85
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#15 » by DWagner85 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Thing a lot of you guys need to remember is that the Bucks do not have 10 million dollars to absorb contracts with. The Cavs are bad for a reason, they did not use any money on any kind of talent at all. 10m under a very hard cap to stay under is a strong statement to the organization. That is something I hope the Bucks never become, and due to Cavs, Suns, Wiz, and many other teams, it will be impossible for the Bucks to actually "Tank" like many of you want to happen.

The Bucks have Jennings and Sanders for the future, add a defensive minded wing who is athletic to the hoop, and you have a very strong piece to get into the 4-6 area of the East. This team is on the climb, similar to the 97-98 Bucks, not on the decline due to bad contracts like the 02-03 Bucks.

Keep the faith and give this team the support they deserve, we as fans will be rewarded this season. Keep up the good work.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 pm

DWagner85 wrote:That is something I hope the Bucks never become

I'm not necessarily high on Waiters, Thompson, or Zeller. I think they could have drafted better with all of those picks, even though none of them will bust. That said, adding another likely top 5 pick to Irving, and still having the Varejao trade asset to use in the offseason (with 2 years remaining he should be able to get a pretty decent return, although he should have been moved earlier) with no bad contracts on the books, they are set up pretty well if they don't blow it.

They have the most important piece though, an alpha dog. We still need that and it's really hard to get.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#17 » by averageposter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:32 pm

One of these trades happens nearly every year and you are left shaking your head because the Bucks who absolutely have refused to go the tank rebuild route could have been making these type deals all along and grabbing draft assets that way. Even if those assets simply amount to trade chips its well worth the effort. All you really have to do is have the space to do so and be there when they call.

You have to think as the Luxury tax penalty increases here that this type of deal would potentially become more and more available as teams adjust to the impending tax. Maybe there's a window here to make a couple of these deals if you have the room. I think I'd be more inclined then ever to be ready for the opportunity in the next year or two.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#18 » by jeremyd236 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I don't get why every trade thread not involving the Bucks turns into people bitching about the Bucks not making that trade or a similar trade. Not necessarily in this case, but in most situations, the bitching isn't even accurate (We could have gotten Harden!)

This is a deal that involved two teams, neither of which have a situation that closely mirrors the Bucks at all (full rebuild & cap space vs. avoiding luxury tax). I think the trade works well for both teams, but the deal certainly has potential to benefit Cleveland more as they get a potential 1st round pick and a bunch of role players for a guy they weren't playing anyways.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#19 » by averageposter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:I don't get why every trade thread not involving the Bucks turns into people bitching about the Bucks not making that trade or a similar trade. Not necessarily in this case, but in most situations, the bitching isn't even accurate (We could have gotten Harden!)

I don't know about every trade, but this kind of trade is a very plausible trade for just about any team. Cap space rentals require only cap space. Its fairly obvious by now the Bucks have been trying to retool while winning, and whether you agree or disagree with that process it does limit the kind of deals you can make. Your own assets are middling, future assets like your own draft pick are middling. The ones that aren't you need for your own success. When you couple that with the lack of draw to sign big talent, you start to see moves like the one just executed as the only way to bolster your asset pool without sabotaging the goal. Also perhaps only way to do so while hoping to strike it rich.

Granted the Bucks don't have the space at the moment, but the players keeping that space from the Bucks are not contributing to their success, Its the Gooden's, Dalembert's, etc. That always seem to be here and never seem to contribute. I guess its that realization that makes it seem entirely possible to compete and rebuild, the Rockets did it for quite some time.

Deals like the Harden one don't bother me at all because that kind of deal only happens if you have the assets and Houston spent a year or two doing deals like the above. But you have to start somewhere.
BucksFanSD
Veteran

Post#20 » by BucksFanSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
BucksFanSD wrote:

What leads you to believe that? The Mavs released him in the preseason because he was causing problems and at least one but likely more teams have passed on signing him since because they don't want to deal with him.

Nothing makes me sure he will or he won't. He seemed very apologetic and posted his resume on twitter right after being released by the Mavs. Maybe he does that every time though. He hasn't been in any trouble of late to my knowledge and maybe he realizes he's done if he gets one more bad report from a team he's on.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks