ImageImageImage

Magic Johnson urges Cuban to trade for Howard

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Jinra
Starter
And1: 121

Magic Johnson urges Cuban to trade for Howard 

Post#1 » by Jinra » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/magic-johnson-mark-cuban-should-make-a-deal-for-dwight-howard-this-season.html/

“If I’m Mark Cuban, I would say this, I would call Jim Buss and say look, ‘I’ve always wanted Dwight Howard. Can we make a deal before the trade deadline?’” Johnson said. “Because you know once the summer comes, Mark is going to go after him anyway. But if he gets him in a trade, he can pay him more money and maybe he’ll stay. Because Atlanta’s going to try and get Dwight Howard. I think New Jersey’s going to be in play and and try to get him so Mark Cuban, go after him! And give away everyone but Dirk. That’s what I would do.”

Johnson’s fellow analysts, Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose agreed with the sentiment. The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21.

Wow! This is the first time I have heard someone of Magic's caliber pushing for Mavs to go for it all now.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA World Champions!!!
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Re: Magic Johnson urges Cuban to trade for Howard 

Post#2 » by catalyst » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm

OK. What does Kupchak ask for? Propose trades that could make this pipe dream for the drama queen happen. I am talking in reality. Last time I checked you cannot make a 14-1 trade.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,262

Post#3 » by Imon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah, I don't see this happening either.
Dirk is of course off the table - after that who would the Lakers want?
Plus if this somehow miraculously happens and Dwight becomes a free agent at the end of the year and decides to join Deron in Brooklyn like he probably wanted to do all along we just lost a bunch of guys in trade and Dwight.

This isn't happening.
Jinra
Starter

Post#4 » by Jinra » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I think there are some realistic scenarios out there. LEt me toss these at you and tell me what you think.

Dal out: Roddy, Marion, Kaman, Da. Jones
Dal in: Howard
Reasons: Duh

La out: Howard
La in: Gay, Roddy, Mem future pick(s), Dal future pick
Reasons: Gay & Roddy both would fit into Mike D's style of play. Only question, is it enough for LA to bite.

Mem out: Gay
Mem in: Marion, Kaman, Da. Jones
Reasons: Mem has made it known that they just want to cut salary. They should be able to cut over 8mil when Kaman and Jones come of the books in off-season.
***************************************************************************************************************************
Dal out: Marion, Kaman
Reasons: Duh again

La in: Jefferson, Marion (ALT: replace with Milsap), Mo Williams
Reasons: All would fit into Mike D's style of play. I think this is a sufficient haul for LA.

Utah out: Jefferson, Mo Williams (ALT: Milsap)
Utah in: Gasol, Kaman, Dallas future pick (ALT: add Marion)
Reasons: Utah is going to lose more talent this off-season than they can replace. They will not get better player than Gasol in free-agency.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
@Imon - Brooklyn will be over the salary cap next year. I don't think Howard is interested in signing there for vet minimum.
StatsMan99
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#5 » by StatsMan99 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

` I think New Jersey’s going to be in play`

New Jersey. LOL.
Raptorel
Starter
And1: 50

Post#6 » by Raptorel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

StatsMan99 wrote:` I think New Jersey’s going to be in play`

New Jersey. LOL.

Them and Vancouver.
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by catalyst » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

And the Sacramento?Seattle/Kings/Supersonics
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by catalyst » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

And the Sacramento?Seattle/Kings/Supersonics
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Magic is trying to screw Dallas and help the Lakers by this statement because he probably has inside info that Howard is going to walk. I don't trust Magic J at all.
Jinra
Starter

Post#10 » by Jinra » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 pm

2011Champs wrote:Magic is trying to screw Dallas and help the Lakers by this statement because he probably has inside info that Howard is going to walk. I don't trust Magic J at all.

Ya' know, I was trying to figure out Magic's angle on this. But, I don't necessarily see the advantage in him doing that. All Mav's players are on 1 year deals anyway.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Hell, why not just trade Kaman/Marion/Mayo/Jones for Kobe :)

Collison/James/Jones
Kobe/Roddy/Cunningham
Carter/Crowder
Dirk/Wright
Brand/James

At least Cuban would sell tickets.
Raptorel
Starter
And1: 50

Post#12 » by Raptorel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Yeah and luckily Kobe, VC and Dirk don't need the ball to play well so there will be plenty of shots available for all the other players.
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#13 » by Soupman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 am

All this talk over Dwight is going to drop Pau's trade value.

We won't get Dwight but we can use Dwight's draw to get a cheaper Pau.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
clkdtm32
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#14 » by clkdtm32 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 am

I prefer P.Gasol to be center of MAVS......
frizzledizzle
Sixth Man
And1: 130

Post#15 » by frizzledizzle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 am

Jinra wrote:I think there are some realistic scenarios out there. LEt me toss these at you and tell me what you think.

Dal out: Roddy, Marion, Kaman, Da. Jones
Reasons: Duh

La in: Gay, Roddy, Mem future pick(s), Dal future pick
Reasons: Gay & Roddy both would fit into Mike D's style of play. Only question, is it enough for LA to bite.

Mem out: Gay
Mem in: Marion, Kaman, Da. Jones
Reasons: Mem has made it known that they just want to cut salary. They should be able to cut over 8mil when Kaman and Jones come of the books in off-season.
***************************************************************************************************************************
Dal out: Marion, Kaman
Reasons: Duh again

La in: Jefferson, Marion (ALT: replace with Milsap), Mo Williams
Reasons: All would fit into Mike D's style of play. I think this is a sufficient haul for LA.

Utah out: Jefferson, Mo Williams (ALT: Milsap)
Utah in: Gasol, Kaman, Dallas future pick (ALT: add Marion)
Reasons: Utah is going to lose more talent this off-season than they can replace. They will not get better player than Gasol in free-agency.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
@Imon - Brooklyn will be over the salary cap next year. I don't think Howard is interested in signing there for vet minimum.

Absolutely no way to turn that crap into Dwight Howard. Your scenarios have other teams giving up better players and assets. Why wouldn't they just trade for Howard themselves?

Sorry but those trades are so lopsided it's not even funny. Kaman + Marion = Howard... lol. A 31 year old injury prone center that's an expiring contract and a 34 year old. Howard is arguably the best center in the NBA and a top 5 player.

I find it hard to believe you think those are realistic trades and that you could turn Kaman and Marion into Howard. Even with an added 1st round pick it's not even close to equal value. Especially since it will be a mid-round pick. Adding to it being a mid-round pick, it's a weak draft. It could be the #1 pick and it's still not that amazing because there is no projected superstar.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#16 » by cmavswin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 am

This is Johnson just running his mouth trying to get more for Howard if and I mean if the Lakers truly want to move him.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#17 » by HotrodBeaubois » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 am

Imon wrote:Yeah, I don't see this happening either.
Dirk is of course off the table - after that who would the Lakers want?
Plus if this somehow miraculously happens and Dwight becomes a free agent at the end of the year and decides to join Deron in Brooklyn like he probably wanted to do all along we just lost a bunch of guys in trade and Dwight.

This isn't happening.

Howard cant go to Brooklyn in the summer since they have no cap space and are in the luxury tax so they cant do sign and trades.
alexandros89
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#18 » by alexandros89 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:06 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abd56cz

How bout sth. like that? Assuming Dwight makes it clear that he doesnt want to play in Atlanta. Players usually don't want to play "at home" anyways.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#19 » by branny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 pm

cmavswin wrote:This is Johnson just running his mouth trying to get more for Howard if and I mean if the Lakers truly want to move him.

Yep very likely it's just this..
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by catalyst » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 pm

alexandros89 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abd56cz

How bout sth. like that? Assuming Dwight makes it clear that he doesnt want to play in Atlanta. Players usually don't want to play "at home" anyways.

Mavs get
Metta World Peace
Howard
Stevenson

Atl gets
Marion
VC
Roddy

Lakers get
Josh Smith
Kaman
Dahntay Jones
Collison

Do us a favor and put the principals on your post with the link. Helps out the old farts like me to comment.
Thanks

Return to Dallas Mavericks