Re: Selby, Beal or Waiters 

Post#41 » by Super Selby » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:58 am

Beal is not a good defender, idk where that myth started
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#42 » by Kabookalu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 am

ElMaestro90 wrote:Yes you are right on that, usually I value college games more as well!

In this case I think its a little different tho!
You already said it, in the Summer League players showcase their individual abilities!
Consider we are talking about scoring combo guards here.
They were drafted because of their individual abilities (mostly scoring in their cases, well for Beal maybe a little more), so in that case I think Summer League is a good indication to see the players level of ability.

If their presumed strength, which is scoring, driving, dishing, shooting is not displayed at Summer League it is definitely something to worry about. (Waiters case)
If they really flurish in SL (like Selby) I think its a good indication for those scoring guards, that it could translate to the league, which is also kind of an ISO league!

Your thoughts on that?

I dig that argument if we're just talking about scoring guards. One reason I don't like summer league play is that it negates the value of "team play" which I value. However with guys like Selby if you want to test out their individual abilities completely knowing that he's not going to be a guy that would be easy to incorporate in the context of an offense, that would be useful.
Read on Twitter
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#43 » by King d » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:39 am

Super Selby wrote:Beal is not a good defender, idk where that myth started

You should watch more ncaa, or at least read scouting reports
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#44 » by mattg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:08 am

I think how Beal is able to defend the uber quick guards and the guards who have size on him is a pretty big question mark for him at the NBA level. He doesn't have great feet and was often cross matched defensively at Florida.
SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#45 » by SaiCLE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:50 pm

As of right now Beal would be first on my list just because he had a better showing so far. While Dion second only because I have not seen what Selby can do.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#46 » by penquin11 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:36 pm

SmooveCam wrote:That's not true Ram..

The Grizzlies have referred to Selby as O.J 2.0 and they're promoting him as their sixthman. Tbh I can't find a thing Waiters or Beal does better than Selby.

Beal can pass better, rebound better, and defend better than Selby.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
three6mofia
Junior
And1: 17

Post#47 » by three6mofia » Sun Nov 4, 2012 5:18 pm

waiters got this
RandyBreuer
Sixth Man
And1: 174
Location: hoistin' 3s like Delfino, pimpin' 4 recruits like Pitino

Post#48 » by RandyBreuer » Wed Nov 7, 2012 5:02 am

Selby
Drugbust wrote
"Sorry if my opinion offended your delicate sensibilities"

In Horst we trust.
Ziggy Stardust
Banned User
And1: 96

Post#49 » by Ziggy Stardust » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:39 pm

Waiters, somewhat easily.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#50 » by Golabki » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:23 pm

I'd put Beal slightly ahead of Waiters, but I do think Beal was a bit overrated going into the draft do to the lack of top tier guards. If you wanted to call this a draw I wouldn't argue much.

Selby is an interesting prospect still because of his play in the D-league last year, but he is well behind Beal/Waiters.
three6mofia
Junior
And1: 17

Post#51 » by three6mofia » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 pm

i thought beal would be the best shooter and most offensively aware ehile i felt that waiters would have the best ball skills and defense. So far ive been right except for the fact that waiters has the best jump shot so far but beals shot is so pretty i expect him to catch up to waiters soon...
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,587

Post#52 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 am

This thread was very confusing for me at the time because aside from doing little in college, getting drafted late, and then doing nothing in the NBA Selby was getting more hype than two top 5 picks who were far more accomplished college players.

After getting PT its pretty clear that Waiters and Beal are a close 1 and 2 and Selby is a distant 3. Selby was basically thrown away in todays trade so obviously Memphis didn't value him at all. Selby and Waiters are on the same team now, and there will be plenty of minutes available for Selby if hes mediocre enough to earn them. We will see what happens but if Selby is 50% as good as the posters on here make him seem the Cavs got a great deal.

Return to NBA Draft