ImageImageImageImageImage

DD Can't Be Apart of the Core

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MoMan24
Analyst
And1: 3,615

DD Can't Be Apart of the Core 

Post#1 » by MoMan24 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 am

First I want to say that I like Demar and think he is a cool guy but he in no way will ever be even a fringe all-star player. This is not a bashing session or hate just what I see. He can not create off the bounce and has a horrible handle for a guard and moves pretty pedestrian with the rock for a guy who can jump like he does. He does not have a 3pt shoot at all that includes the corner 3. He also does't really have a mid-range game partly because of his inability to create or dribble consistently.

I was impressed with his rebounding but that has gone away recently during his current slump. He can not create for others which reflects his 1.8 apg in 37 mins. His rebounding is good at 4.5 but nothing eye popping for a guy his size and leaping ability. He does avg 17.3 ppg but shoots 43% from the field and takes 15 shoots to get his 17 points a game.

Lastly his defense is average at best and that is being kind. The weird thing with Demar is that he can jump high put has a hard time moving laterally and I notice it when he uses screens he is slow to turn the corner. His lack of a quick first step and his inability to create really make him a below average player on a bad team I don't know how else to say it. He gets 17 ppg but his per is just 13.9 because he doesn't give you things like assist, threes or great percentages.

There is nothing that Demar does at an above average level except attack the rim but with so many holes in his game he is easy to game plan and stop. he also is a pretty good post player but is not their often enough. he does nothing at an elite level. He came in this season wanting to be Wade and play like wade however Wade can break his man down consistently and also create for others and is an elite rebounder and defender. I remember people said he was RAW coming out of USC, well he still is. The sad part is he works hard and I feel bad for him cause he wants to be great he just has no talent honestly. He will always be a athlete playing the game of basketball and not a basketball player.

This is his fourth season I don't know what people are waiting to happen with him but he is what he is. Ross is already a better shooter, off the ball player, defender and is good rebounder too. I also can't honestly say that Demar has a go to move that we can use when we need a bucket. His inability to create has also tells me he can not be counted on in the clutch and does't have the ability to knock down touch shoots late in the clock.

BC has again bid against himself but I say trade Demar is you can for a good deal and lets really develop Ross since he is more talented, or we can just have him until his contract expires then Ross will since his extension. Again I really like Demar but as a Raptor fan I feel we need to be honest and not be delusional and label every lottery pick a future all-star because this one is not a core piece but more like a rotation energy guy.
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Re: DD Can't Be Apart of the Core 

Post#2 » by mirrornick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am

Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#3 » by Throwback24 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 am

His defense is below-average @ best. 35 year old guards blow by him with relative ease and if this is happening at such a young age, can you imagine DeRozan at Kobes age? He'd be practically crippled.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
goodjoey
Pro Prospect
And1: 273

Post#4 » by goodjoey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 am

mirrornick wrote:23

This.

also, nothing you have said is ground breaking or earth shattering, you are just mirroring sentiments that have already been stated by other demar haters.
vexen
Veteran
And1: 886

Post#5 » by vexen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am

Quick and Nutritious, Simply Delicious everyone knows it's Primo.. At least DD tries to play his position and works really hard on his game unlike primo pasta and sauce
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Supercollider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am

Actually, many here wish he was apart from the core by at least one time zone.
Got Em
Rookie
And1: 257

Post#7 » by Got Em » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am

I don't need a watch, I'm on time when I get there.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 909

Post#8 » by anj » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am

Your thread title actually implies that DD is an inseparable part of the core. :wink:

Edit: Supercollider and Got em beat me to it.
carl_english
General Manager
And1: 3,140

Post#9 » by carl_english » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 am

BC disagrees. We're building around DD after the Nani era.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,596

Post#10 » by C_Money » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 am

Who is part of the core? Bargs and Calderon are on the verge of being shipped outta here, Demar is a very average to below average player, Lowry is on a short contract and currently coming off the bench.

All the "core players" except for maybe Lowry would be a bunch of nobodies on a playoff team.
Jack_Hardstrong
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Jack_Hardstrong » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 am

DD loves toronto and that's good enough
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Supercollider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 am

There is no core, only heartache.
MoMan24
Analyst

Post#13 » by MoMan24 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 am

C_Money wrote:Who is part of the core? Bargs and Calderon are on the verge of being shipped outta here, Demar is a very average to below average player, Lowry is on a short contract and currently coming off the bench.

All the "core players" except for maybe Lowry would be a bunch of nobodies on a playoff team.

Ed Ross and Val are the only real keepers with potential who could have a future here. You could even add Amir other than that your right its a bunch of bench guys. We just have so little talent that we force average players into roles they can't fill.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#14 » by Truthrising » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 am

I don't think Derozan is part of the core. I'm sure BC would be quick to deal him if there's a deal to be had.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#15 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 am

My only problem is his defensive position.
I would like him to either guard SF or SG/small PG. He is capable of guarding some of them, but quicker SG or bigger SF is a problem for him. The other thing is, if he is on a slasher/athletic role, I suppose he can provide much more energy, and willing to bang. He doesn't like to bang, and not doing much without being physical. Too much of a star mentality, but he is not at that level for getting calls or being a threat.
MoMan24
Analyst

Post#16 » by MoMan24 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 am

Jack_Hardstrong wrote:DD loves toronto and that's good enough

I here you man that is why I feel bad for him if he were any good be would be a Durant type of franchise guy, not saying he would be that good just his approach leadership and stuff. Someone who is not in a major team but will stay.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#17 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am

Jack_Hardstrong wrote:DD loves toronto and that's good enough

Bargnani loves Toronto, so?
erekose200
Senior
And1: 126

Post#18 » by erekose200 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 am

Ross is already better than Demar.
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#19 » by JustaKnickFan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 am

DD's rebounding seems very overrated. The more I watch Raptors game, the more I realize that the only rebounds DD grabs are the defensive rebounds where 3 Raptors are around it and maybe only 1 player from the other team.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#20 » by Indeed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am

JustaKnickFan wrote:DD's rebounding seems very overrated. The more I watch Raptors game, the more I realize that the only rebounds DD grabs are the defensive rebounds where 3 Raptors are around it and maybe only 1 player from the other team.

That is basically how rebounding works. I think other than Lowry, our wings/guards rebounding are average.

Return to Toronto Raptors