Blazers acquires an entire bench from the Suns

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Re: Blazers acquires an entire bench from the Suns 

Post#61 » by NashtyNas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am

sisibilio wrote:That's like, the most diverse list ever. Most of those guys don't make any sense in a rebuilding team.

I didn't know there was a situation I was supposed to keep in mind when coming up with better ways to use that pick in a trade? :lol:

I mean, either they're acquirable with that pick, or they're not. If they are (which almost all of them should be, by the way) then I've proven my point.

I didn't say there would be a better fit for a team in terms of a trade, all I said was that if we were targeting a big man with that pick, we could do far better than Leonard; I also stated that we're NOT looking for a big man, like AT ALL. We have Gortat/JO holding down center, and finding a backup if JO leaves isn't hard. Then we've got Frye who may or may not be back next season, and Scola, who's more than servicable at the 4. So, we're not trading those picks and players at positions of need for us (Brown has been our LEADING SCORER!!) for something that would simply be an unneeded commodity, it doesn't make sense, and it's not the right value for us.

Think about it this way: Portland has that pick, Gortat and JO at center and holes all along the perimeter. Would you want them to trade that pick for yet ANOTHER C while also sending out any quality you have on the perimeter? I think not.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
NashtyNas
RealGM

Post#62 » by NashtyNas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 am

sisibilio wrote:If there are so many why wasting such a valuable pick (slight LOL) to get Leonard?

That's the point, we WOULDN'T. That's what I'm trying to get through your thick skulls!

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#63 » by sisibilio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 am

I_Socrates wrote:
sisibilio wrote:That's like, the most diverse list ever. Most of those guys don't make any sense in a rebuilding team.

I didn't know there was a situation I was supposed to keep in mind when coming up with better ways to use that pick in a trade? :lol:

Well, that's the whole point of the discussion. :lol:
Value is all relative. The only guys of those list all things considered (age, contract, fit...) i'd consider trading Leonard for are Splitter and Varejao, and maybe Amir Johnson.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#64 » by cucad8 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:03 am

Trying to figure out when
Al Jefferson
Paul Millsap
Carlos Boozer
Anderson Varejao
Tiago Splitter
Pau Gasol
Timofey Mozgov

became young, athletic bigs.
NashtyNas
RealGM

Post#65 » by NashtyNas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 am

sisibilio wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:

Well, that's the whole point of the discussion. :lol:
Value is all relative. The only guys of those list all things considered (age, contract, fit...) i'd consider trading Leonard for are Splitter and Varejao, and maybe Amir Johnson.

No? That wasn't the point of the discussion. You're trying to change it to favor you, I never said that was what I was debating. All I said was that there are better options at the big spot that we could target with that pick, and even better options that we can get without giving up that pick at all.

You still don't get it. I don't care how valuable you feel Leonard is or who you'd trade him for, the rest of the league doesn't either. The fact of the matter is that a mid first can net a bunch of superior players than Leonard, and therefore any team trading such a pick for Leonard would be nothing but foolish.

It's quite simple, really. When you can spend $5 to buy ripe banana's, there is no point spending that same $5 to buy raw bananas, especially if you also having to pay for them to ripen (in terms of adding extra assets). Now you're going to go back to claiming that the filler is useless, in which case, the whole premise is flawed because Portland wouldn't be interested in acquiring them for their bench if they were useless.

So, the conclusion, yet again, is that the Suns would never do this deal. Not only is it bad value, but it also allows Portland to either use that pick to get one of the many other, far better and more skilled bigs I mentioned or add another young talent in the future, both being losses for the Suns who share the same conference. Just because you wouldn't trade Leonard for any of those guys doesn't mean he's worth more than them.

N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#66 » by N.O.R.E. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 am

DusterBuster wrote:Thank you for being level headed about this phx#7, when so many of your fellow Suns fans have not.

RoyalWun wrote:Why do people cry because most fans of a team dislike trades being thrown at them?

That's par for the course with N.O.R.E. He does that all the time. It's incredibly difficult to make a deal that every fan will like as there's a number of fans of each team, and each of those fans have different opinions on trades. As much as he'd like to deny it, there has been times he's made good trades, he just chooses to instead focus on the large amount of trades he made that aren't good and he was called out for it being such. Instead of just accepting peoples opinions as just that, opinion, he gets all bent out of shape over it as though they're a personal slight toward him. He's certainly not the only person who does that, but he's one of the most prolific with this type of schtick.

Post your idea, explain why, then if you feel the need to make a more detailed explanation of why you think it works. If nobody still likes the idea, you scrap it and move on, not get your panties in a bind over it.

What are you talking about? I say that you're hard to please because you are. I'm a Bulls fan, but because I'm from New Zealand I don't have regional ties and I'm not nearly as 'one-eyed' as most of you are, I'd say I'm pretty damn impartial.
I put so many ideas out there I know a lot of them aren't going to be accepted by team's fans, but that's what this board is about imo, gauging value, not the blatant homerism you often see on here (and I'm not directing this to anyone in particular).
I hardly see how I get "bent out of shape" and see it as some personal attack, but when even semi-reasonable offers are posted certain teams ways, and they're instantly met with "terrible for team X", then that doesn't really promote discussion does it?
I always encourage feedback and reasonable modifications/alterations or whatever, where is this coming from?
Show me one thread I've refused to let die or even got into heated/stubborn debate?
I'm going commando, so it appears I'm not the one with my "panties in a bind".
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#67 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 am

This thread has gotten over the top ridiculous. Pau Gasol and Carlos Boozer are "athletic and young"?? Cleveland is going to give Varejao and Utah give Millsap for that pick? Udoh's 4.3pts/3.7rbs on 40% shooting in 19.8 min is better than Leonard's 4.8pts/3.5rbs on 56% shooting in 16.5 min?

God this whole thread has devolved into:
"We wouldn't do the deal"
"No, WE wouldn't do the deal"
"NO, WE WOULDN'T DO THE DEAL FIRST!!!"

NO DEAL = GOOD FOR ALL OF US. I am out. Peace. :smh:
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#68 » by hcsilla » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:[
- Minnesota is below 13, pick is not conveyed in 2013.

This is getting hilarious. No, you are wrong.

If Minnesota is below 14, pick is not conveyed in 2013.

Phoenix maybe gets a mid 2014 pick from Minnesota.

No, it is a late lottery/mid 1st rounder in 2014, 15 or 16.

-Minnesota is 13 or above, Phoenix gets the Memphis pick (late pick).

No, If MIN is 14 or above (which is highly unlikely), PHO gets the MEM pick.

Neither is a mid-first in the 2013 draft. The ONLY way Portland is likely to get a mid pick is if Memphis falls into the lottery.

-Memphis in lottery, Minnesota is in playoffs, Phoenix gets the Minnesota pick.

So again, there is no guarantee this is a mid-pick. In fact, the most likely scenario seems to be Minnesota at the tail end of the lottery or in 8th seed, in which case Phoenix get's Memphis's late pick. The next most likely scenario is getting Minnesota's top 12 protected pick in 2014, which isn't terrible, but still no reason to trade Leonard.

IMO, it is favourable for the Suns (or for the Blazers after this trade) that MIN pick most likely doesn't convey this year but will do later since this year's draft seems quite weak.

Return to Trades and Transactions