ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Insider: Top 25 Players Under Age 25 (Ed Davis 24th)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Re: ESPN Insider: Top 25 Players Under Age 25 (Ed Davis 24th 

Post#41 » by kmatrixg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 pm

COY0607 wrote:
dTox wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Not only is his value not high, but in all likelihood, it's shockingly low. Like one of the 5 least moveable/worst contracts in the league, low. I bet when the T&T board does the "worst contracts" ranking that they always do after the most valuable assets that they are in the middle of now, Derozan makes the top 5 or 6. A 4 year, 9.5 mil/season deal for a < 14 PER player after this season, is an absolute atrocity of a contract, probably worse than Jeff Green's deal, they are similar caliber players but Derozan's contract runs a year longer. I plan on voting Demar 3rd after Amare and Tyrus Thomas

I think that's pushing it, just to think of a few names that are on worse contracts:

-Gerald Wallace
-Kris Humphries
-Bargnani
-Charlie V
-Ben Gordon
-Okafor
-Perkins
-Hedo

but yet Demar is in a bad contract in my opinion, just not so bad that he's immovable. But the longer we wait, the shorter his "potential" window closes and his contract becomes that much worse, I think this summer will be the best time to get rid of him otherwise he'll fall in line with the names mentioned above

charlie v, ben gordon, okafor, hedo all expire after next season... they'll be expirings this offseason... you realize derozan has 4 years left after this year right, which makes his contract situation significantly worse.. and humpries is not a bad contract, hes a double double machine when he plays minutes and is coming off a 14/11 season

I think he was more referring to the life of the contract
MadMax10
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#42 » by MadMax10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

George is top ten .
Prodigy416
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#43 » by Prodigy416 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

pkiskool wrote:Where's DD?

Watching film
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#44 » by kmatrixg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Take this list with a huge grain of salt. Last years list included guys such as:

11. Ty Lawson
12. DeJuan Blair
15. Danilo Gallinari
19. JaVale McGee

Some of their comparisons are jokes too (although I generally enjoy David Thorpe), comparing Nic Batum to Bruce Bowen, Brandon Jennings to Allen Iverson and Ricky Rubio to Pistol Pete Maravich.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#45 » by Homer Jay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Interesting that Derozan isn't on the list. Not to put so much important on some stupid list, but kind of shows you his value may not be all that high.

Not only is his value not high, but in all likelihood, it's shockingly low. Like one of the 5 least moveable/worst contracts in the league, low. I bet when the T&T board does the "worst contracts" ranking that they always do after the most valuable assets that they are in the middle of now, Derozan makes the top 5 or 6. A 4 year, 9.5 mil/season deal for a < 14 PER player after this season, is an absolute atrocity of a contract, probably worse than Jeff Green's deal, they are similar caliber players but Derozan's contract runs a year longer. I plan on voting Demar 3rd after Amare and Tyrus Thomas

Check out Perkins, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay. They qualify as worse than Demar by a long shot.

Perkins makes 9 mil a year while putting up an 8.1 PER
JJ makes an average 22.5 mil a year for while putting up an 14.8 PER
Rudy gay makes an average 18.5 mil a year to put up a 14.6 PER
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,527

Post#46 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

What i'm just taking in is, OKC traded Harden instead of trading Perkins because of.... Howard and the lakers ?? Who prolly won't make the playoffs now??? We are going to look back on that deal in a few yrs and be like, they traded Harden for J.lamb and that's inexcusable if you ask me. Kmart better resign with them.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#47 » by Danchan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Check out Perkins, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay. They qualify as worse than Demar by a long shot.

And yet none of those team would even consider a packaged deal involving derozan for one of those players. Face it the DD market has already tanked. He has the useless tag as well as "no potential" tag at this point.
Remember Kobe used to be so friendly with DD?
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#48 » by roundhead0 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:45 pm

DeRozan is probably overpaid, but realistically he should probably get a $7M or so deal. He's a legit NBA starter so despite being overpaid his contract is not crippling.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,917

Post#49 » by Vorticity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

in what universe is Griffin better than Rose?
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,626

Post#50 » by arbsn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Danchan wrote:

And yet none of those team would even consider a packaged deal involving derozan for one of those players. Face it the DD market has already tanked. He has the useless tag as well as "no potential" tag at this point.

I'd say what hurts DD the most is his inconsistency.

He's not a plus defender by any means so the fact he is an inconsistent rebounder, passer and scorer basically renders him a question mark on offense.

Minus defender question mark offense? No thanks.

What gives DD so much value is that there's really only 3-4 SGs that are established 2 way players (Kobe, Wade, Manu, Joe Johnson), another 2-3 who are elite offensively (Harden, Monta, Kevin Martin), another 2-3 who are elite defensively (Tony Allen, Sefalosha, Avery Bradley) and then the 'question marks' due to injury or inconsistency (Gordon, Tyreke, Ray Allen, Iguodala, Afflalo)

That's a total of 15 SGs who have real value.

That means DeMar can easily be a starter for a playoff team.
MaTcH22
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#51 » by MaTcH22 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:1. Durant
2. Westbrook
3. Griffin
4. Harden
5. Rose
6. Irving
7. Ibaka
8. Love
9. Lopez
10. Curry
11. Faried
12. Holiday
13. Anthony Davis
14. Monroe
15. Ryan Anderson
16. Batum
17. Thad Young
18. George
19. Cousins
20. Jennings
21. Lillard
22. Sanders
23. DeAndre Jordan
24. Boss Davis
25. Eric Bledsoe

I think Ibaka is to high on this list..ahead of Kevin Love? and is it right to put Bledsoe on and leave John Wall off?
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#52 » by Homer Jay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Danchan wrote:

If OKC doesn't resign K-Mart I really doubt they would turn down DD for Perkins. If Toronto could absorb the Salary difference between Gay and DD, I have the feeling Memphis, with how they feel about the Tax, does do that deal with maybe only a cheap talent like AA or a couple of seconds thrown in. Memphis should have traded Gay at the deadline last year while he was having a good year and hadn't been maxed out yet.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#53 » by Double Helix » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Every CP3 backup PG looks good filling in for Paul because their offence is so PG driven as a result of him. I like Bledsoe. I liked him in college, too, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come crashing back down to earth in a new situation just as Darren Collison did. There was a time not too long ago when Darren Collison was being viewed as a star PG too after the #s he put up when Paul went down. We all know nobody's saying that about Collison since he left NOH though. The same thing happens in the NFL with backup QBs in QB-friendly systems.

Regarding Griffin over Rose, I can only assume they did that because nobody has seen Rose post-surgery. What if the speed and athleticism that made him elite are now simply "good." I hope that's not the case but you never know. I haven't seen Griffin enough this year to know if he's made any defensive improvements but I did notice his FT% is rising each month and his steals are way up. He's also passing a little more and turning it over a little less. He's also a key piece on a team that has the 2nd best record in the association. I used to think he'd just be like David Lee or Kevin Love (all stats and no wins) but CP3 has those guys playing winning basketball and he's getting the most out of Griffin the same way Nash used to Marion.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 422

Post#54 » by cdel00 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Rose HAS to be number 1 tied with KD I mean both cats are MVP front runners
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#55 » by DHK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Danchan wrote:

How do you know this? Are you an insider?
You speak as if you fully know information on all the front offices in the NBA and the general consensus on their perception of Derozan. You are a poster, my good man, you can speculate all you want but theese are hardly facts.
Useless tag as well as "no potential", that's some strong words you're using there. Instead of ragging on how much you detest Derozan; why not try to cheer for him instead since you are a Raptor fan after all and we should be wishing for the success of the players on our team.
Anyway, OKC wouldnt trade for DD for Perkins because they already have a loaded backcourt of Thabo/Martin at SG
Memphis would not do this because theyre in a win-now mode and Gay is the more polished player between the two although they may consider it due to DD having half the contract Gay has especially if they're getting back JC.
JJ also fits in the Nets system better than DD does but on a straight up trade; if DD does fit into the system I dont see why the Nets wouldnt do it.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#56 » by PRESTIGE » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 pm

- Rose healthy is #2 on this list easy
- John Wall not being there is ridiculous
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#57 » by cookieman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 pm

DeRozan may not be on the list but Holiday and Jennings both are. Both of them were also on the board when we picked DD, and both filled a position of need. BC knows best though. How do you best cover a mistake? Throw $40m at it!

Nice to see Davis on this list but still not really a fan of his game. His rebounding has tailed off with increased minutes, his offensive game is efficient but limited, and his defense is still poor to say the least. He has not been much of a shotblocker either (Bargnani-level shotblocking).
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#58 » by Big Shot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 am

cookieman wrote:DeRozan may not be on the list but Holiday and Jennings both are. Both of them were also on the board when we picked DD, and both filled a position of need. BC knows best though. How do you best cover a mistake? Throw $40m at it!

Nice to see Davis on this list but still not really a fan of his game. His rebounding has tailed off with increased minutes, his offensive game is efficient but limited, and his defense is still poor to say the least. He has not been much of a shotblocker either (Bargnani-level shotblocking).

Sorry, the last sentence has basically taken all the credibility out of the post.
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#59 » by underdog33 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:57 am

ibaka ahead of love WTF?
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#60 » by PRESTIGE » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:53 am

underdog33 wrote:ibaka ahead of love WTF?

Love has been injury prone and hasn't had much success this season. Ibaka has been much better and more integral to his team's success. If they're going to drop D-Rose due to injury it only makes sense to do the same thing to Love.

Return to Toronto Raptors