Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

HappyBrownie
Sophomore
And1: 84

Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE 

Post#121 » by HappyBrownie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 am

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:
mg wrote:C'mon..the Cavs aren't making the playoffs. Even with a healthy Varejao they weren't making the playoffs.

I'm guessing Speights will play well since this is a contract year for him similar to Hickson in Portland.

Ellington gives them some depth on the wing. They were giving Shaun Livingston backup minutes at SG fwiw.

I don't see how Selby gets much run behind Kyrie and Dion.

The future pick is just another asset for the Cavs. They need to hit their draft picks or package them for a young stud to pair with Kyrie. The Cavs and Washington are 2 teams that need to start putting talent around their stud PG's and start winning.

This.

Collecting draft picks doesn't matter though if you keep drafting the likes of Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.

here we go again...
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#122 » by TheOUTLAW » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:03 am

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:
mg wrote:C'mon..the Cavs aren't making the playoffs. Even with a healthy Varejao they weren't making the playoffs.

I'm guessing Speights will play well since this is a contract year for him similar to Hickson in Portland.

Ellington gives them some depth on the wing. They were giving Shaun Livingston backup minutes at SG fwiw.

The future pick is just another asset for the Cavs. They need to hit their draft picks or package them for a young stud to pair with Kyrie. The Cavs and Washington are 2 teams that need to start putting talent around their stud PG's and start winning.

This.

Collecting draft picks doesn't matter though if you keep drafting the likes of Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.

I was actually quite happy with Tristans 21-9-5 tonight.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Alan Ogg
Senior
And1: 39

Post#123 » by Alan Ogg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 am

I was actually quite happy with Tristans 21-9-5 tonight.

I finally sold my autograph Thompson RC tonight because of that game. :lol:
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#124 » by branny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:12 am

dolphinatik wrote:Well Cleveland imo has no excuses now they got5 exactly what they needed in a Big and a sg. They shouldnt be as bad as they are. I think they can try to make a run to pull .500 and grab the 8th seed. Its a stretch but Speights can step in for Varejao and Ellington and Selby should be able to provide scoring. They seriously have the shortest roster and need to start incorporating their bigs.

No way
hamek
Junior
And1: 8

Post#125 » by hamek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 am

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:

This.

Tristan Thompson has played really well filling in for Varejao, he's averaging 14/12 over the last 30 games and is a good defender. Waiters is having a similar year to Bradley Beal, the 3rd pick, as of right now, and while Beal hasn't had a real point guard next to him, he should at least be averaging more points per game since the Wizards lacked a real dominant scorer. There also haven't been shooting guards playing better than him, and Barnes, while playing well defensively, hasn't exactly been playing well offensively, and it's not like defenses are focusing on him. Tyler Zeller is a project big, and it's not like there are Centers drafted after him who are playing better than him...
83SixersRocked wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:Any team willing to give up a top 3 protected Lottery pick for Shawn Marion?

Despite the site name we're not real GMs.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#126 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am

In fact I think Cleveland's young core is just coming together... remember Durant's first two years were bottom dwelling seasons... of course they just went and broke out in his third season, which is when you can see whether a player has superstar potential.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,587

Post#127 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 am

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:

This.

Tristan Thompson is one of the five best players from his draft class.

Waiters is doing fine. 2nd rookie in scoring and third in assists and improving a lot recently. Streaky as hell but I prefer rookies who are inconsistent that show really nice flashes as opposed to the ones that are consistently mediocre.

Zeller is one of the best players left on the board from his selection. Only Sully really stands out.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#128 » by DowJones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 am

Thompson has been playing VERY well this year. He is averaging 11 and 9. What's the problem with that? He is still just a 2nd year player. His game is raw but the progress in his offense has been great to watch.

Waiters shows flashes. He is really too inconsistent, but that's what makes him a rookie. He is the 2nd leading scorer among rookies. He certainly has to become more efficient, but why do so many act like he was a terrible pick? He is anything but a terrible pick.

I also think Tyler Zeller has been pretty productive. He looks like a solid center for years to come. He will never be an All-Star, but he is a guy that can get you 11 and 7 for most of his career. That's solid for a 3rd big.

Cleveland has drafted pretty well overall. The way this entire organization has been run since LeBron left is great to see if you are a Cavs fan. They have stacked picks and saved cap-space. Heck, they essentially bought Josh Selby, Mo Speights, and a 1st round/potential lotto pick for just $6 million. That is a STEAL.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#129 » by Tave » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 am

Zeller, Waiters, and Thompson might or might not ever pan out, but it's silly to expect a team as young as the Cavs to win many games.

Thompson - 21 years old, 31mpg
Waiters - 21 years old, 30mpg
Zeller - 23 years old, 27mpg
Irving - 20 years old, 35mpg

That's a recipe for automatic losses when Irving is the only guy who can compete night in night out. Since Varejao went down they've basically started a squad of rookies, most of whom aren't finished products.

The Cavs are losing because they're building a team from scratch, not because they may or may not have drafted poorly.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#130 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 am

Great trade for the cavs. Surprised we got a first out of it too. Griz were desperate
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#131 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 am

Gee, if that's all it took to get Speights then I wish Danny could've rung.

Reminds me of when Dalembert was traded for peanuts.
Durant 35
Junior
And1: 1

Post#132 » by Durant 35 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:28 am

They will keep rudy gay after all then..
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#133 » by IMAN5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 am

cleveland gonna be a **** problem.

they shuda traded varejao when they cud, there was a rumor clips were offering jordan. but cavs got greedy and wanted bledso.

i wouldve been all over that one. kyrie, waiters, thompson, deandre.
instagram.com/510movement
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:40 am

Wayne Ellington and Tyler Zeller were both part of the 2009 championship squad.

You know that sig Rockets fans have of Morey seemingly targeting everyone in the 2009 lottery? Someone should make a similar one featuring Chris Grant and the members of that UNC squad.

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Re: OT - Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE 

Post#135 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Left Side Drive wrote:Btw how is this off-topic (OT)? Isn't this the general board lol.

Lol I was about to say that
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Re: OT - Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE 

Post#136 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Dutuctive Depp wrote:
Left Side Drive wrote:Btw how is this off-topic (OT)? Isn't this the general board lol.

Lol I was about to say that

It's OT if it's not Lakers/LeBron/Durant related, silly.

chales_zed
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#137 » by chales_zed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:Wayne Ellington and Tyler Zeller were both part of the 2009 championship squad.

You know that sig Rockets fans have of Morey seemingly targeting everyone in the 2009 lottery? Someone should make a similar one featuring Chris Grant and the members of that UNC squad.

They would but no one gives an ass about Grant or Cleveland.

Return to The General Board