ImageImageImageImageImage

[Official NYK Board Community Thread] NSFW (Part 6)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Re: [Official NYK Board Community Thread] NSFW (Part 6) 

Post#201 » by 21shumpshumpst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Shpati21 wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:
Shpati21 wrote:Do you hire hippies?

Only if they amuse me and can do tricks.

So what do you think about someone like me?

High GPA, worked at a restaurant for many years, have an internship this semester at a small organization, I am only a member of couple of groups, few academic related awards, graduating next fall.

I'm trying to intern with a big company this summer.

K pick a company and tell me what you would say to highlight some leadership or just general work skills.

For example, restaurant. Did you progress in the years there? LIke you started as a waiter but as time went by you got more responsibility? How big was this restaurant? What type of clientele? You obviously had to deal with difficult people so how did you manage that? That shows people skills.

What did you do in your smaller intership? Tell me what you learned? Just put down a bunch of thoughts and I will help you set them up properly.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#202 » by 21shumpshumpst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Forgot the obligatory hippie remark. Put down your thoughts hippie.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,588

Post#203 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:Forgot the obligatory hippie remark. Put down your thoughts hippie.

At the restaurant, I just started off answering telephones, then I moved to a host to organize and plan the dining room for the waiters/waitresses. As far as difficult custumers, I learned the best thing to do is bare with them and be nice and honest.

I still have not started the small internship yet (start the 18th). But I will develop a website and program an application with a group or partner.
Free Palestine
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#204 » by 21shumpshumpst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Shpati21 wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:Forgot the obligatory hippie remark. Put down your thoughts hippie.

At the restaurant, I just started off answering telephones, then I moved to a host to organize and plan the dining room for the waiters/waitresses. As far as difficult custumers, I learned the best thing to do is bare with them and be nice and honest.

I still have not started the small internship yet (start the 18th). But I will develop a website and program an application with a group or partner.

K the restaurant experience is going to help you. This is perfect. Let me ask you a few more questions.
So you planned the sections each waiter/waitress had to service? Based on what? What criteria did you use? Think hard about this answer as it shows critical thinking and that you didn't just sporadically put xyz waitress in the good section because she was cute although no one would blame you if you did. :lol:
Stannis
RealGM

Post#205 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:25 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
Shpati21 wrote:

K the restaurant experience is going to help you. This is perfect. Let me ask you a few more questions.
So you planned the sections each waiter/waitress had to service? Based on what? What criteria did you use? Think hard about this answer as it shows critical thinking and that you didn't just sporadically put xyz waitress in the good section because she was cute although no one would blame you if you did. :lol:

Really the strong waiters/waitresses (typically the males) got the sections with large parties (7+ people). I just have to make sure the tables/people a server has is evenly distributed at the end of the night.

In was pretty basic, to be honest. The restaurant is pretty old and the workers have been their a long time, so they have a lot of regulars, which showed up in the reservation book. Once I account for those, it is just about managing the "walk-in" customers.
Free Palestine
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#206 » by 21shumpshumpst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Shpati21 wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

Really the strong waiters/waitresses (typically the males) got the sections with large parties (7+ people). I just have to make sure the tables/people a server has is evenly distributed at the end of the night.

In was pretty basic, to be honest. The restaurant is pretty old and the workers have been their a long time, so they have a lot of regulars, which showed up in the reservation book. Once I account for those, it is just about managing the "walk-in" customers.

Managing is the key phrase there. Highlight that. You managed a process. No matter how small it was still some sort of managing customers and waiters/waitresses. (don't ever say either on your resume or interview about the male stronger thing). I'll answer more on it later now i have to go to another freaking meeting.

Put more thought on this hippie.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#207 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Yea, lol, I would never say that "male" thing. It was just some truth I learned in my experience that I dont mind saying in a community website.

I already stated on my resume that I managed the reservation book and assisted servers.
Free Palestine
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#208 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 pm

After you make the GPA cutoff it doesn't matter. It matters how interpersonal and confident you are. You're just an intern. Think about it, they will have to be working with you for 8 hours a day. They don't want to hire someone who is not relatable.
DrKnick
Starter
And1: 580

Post#209 » by DrKnick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 pm

One thing about community threads, they're always about school and grades.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#210 » by 21shumpshumpst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:After you make the GPA cutoff it doesn't matter. It matters how interpersonal and confident you are. You're just an intern. Think about it, they will have to be working with you for 8 hours a day. They don't want to hire someone who is not relatable.

Notsureifserious.jpg.

Of course it matters. After you make the GPA cutoff congrats now you are in a pile of papers along with at least 20-30 other people on the low end. Now I am going to scan these pieces of papers without knowing your glorious interpersonal skills for key phrases. Then after I narrow these down to 3-5 I will bring you in. You think you are the only one with glorious interpersonal skills and confidence?

Those things matter in an interview but it is a just a part of an overall package.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#211 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:53 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:After you make the GPA cutoff it doesn't matter. It matters how interpersonal and confident you are. You're just an intern. Think about it, they will have to be working with you for 8 hours a day. They don't want to hire someone who is not relatable.

Yea, this is the reason why I think I screwed myself over in a 2nd interview for a really good summer internship. I went in it too nervous and stressed out and over prepared for it. But I guess it was a learning experience. For that company, those internships and jobs were really competitive. There were like 14 people there with me interviewing from different colleges, not only for internships but for jobs too. And that company had about 3-4 other days where they interviewed other groups of people.

I have only done 4 interviews total while in college, two of those were with the company above. I got one part-time internship, so I guess I am 1 for 3. :lol:

DrKnick wrote:One thing about community threads, they're always about school and grades.

:lol: This one is for sure. When someone has other stuff to say, you do not get much responses. But you get so much advice with this thread relating to jobs, school and other things.
Free Palestine
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#212 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:

Notsureifserious.jpg.

Of course it matters. After you make the GPA cutoff congrats now you are in a pile of papers along with at least 20-30 other people on the low end. Now I am going to scan these pieces of papers without knowing your glorious interpersonal skills for key phrases. Then after I narrow these down to 3-5 I will bring you in. You think you are the only one with glorious interpersonal skills and confidence?

Those things matter in an interview but it is a just a part of an overall package.

I'm starting to doubt you work for a large company if that's how you think the interview process works.

This is the "blueprint" for all the major financial/tech/consulting corps:

1. Internal Databases (Feeder Schools & Referals)
2. Decent Resume + Requirements
3. Phone Interview or Candidate dinner
4. On Site Interview.

The HR department for the Goldmans, MC firms, Apple's are rather large and a phone interview is used to narrow down the candidates a lot more than a simple resume. Seeing as how Shipati goes to a decent 4 year school, I"m assuming he's applying through his school.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#213 » by Stannis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm

I thought what ComboGuardCity was saying is once you get in for the interview, your GPA does not really matter. It is up to you.

I thought what 21shumpshumpst was saying is do not just try to get the minimum GPA (3.00) because sometimes employers get much more applicants than expected, and they will up the GPA requirement to filter out applicants.
Free Palestine
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#214 » by 21shumpshumpst » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:

Notsureifserious.jpg.

I'm starting to doubt you work for a large company if that's how you think the interview process works.

This is the "blueprint" for all the major financial/tech/consulting corps:

1. Internal Databases (Feeder Schools & Referals)
2. Decent Resume + Requirements
3. Phone Interview or Candidate dinner
4. On Site Interview.

The HR department for the Goldmans, MC firms, Apple's are rather large and a phone interview is used to narrow down the candidates a lot more than a simple resume. Seeing as how Shipati goes to a decent 4 year school, I"m assuming he's applying through his school.

Lol? Your statement was that after you make the cut off For gpa all you need to show is interpersonal skills and confidence. I said that only matters once you get the interview to get to that point of even a phone interview your resume will be screened with the 50 others that will pass the gpa threshold.

Even then the hiring manager which is usually vp level or above won't have the time or desire to go through even 5 resumes and have 5 phone interviews. What happens is hr gets 100 of these resumes . Checks for basic things to see if thu fit the criteria required for the job and passes along to the hiring manager the resumes that make hrs cut. Then the hiring manager will a lot of times share these resumes with the people in the dept who will work directly with this person and get their opinion on the resumes then he or she will look at those resumes and give their opinion. The hiring manager has to make the final decision as this person will count against their depts budget even if they won't work directly with them. They will then after 3 or 4 different people have looked at the resumes and made cuts SOLELY on resumes will they have screening calls where finally you can show your super duper interpersonal skills.

But of course you know better and I've never worked for a fortune 500 company or been part of this process. Rofl .. A+ for effort, try harder next time rofl
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#215 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 am

21shumpshumpst wrote:Lol? Your statement was that after you make the cut off For gpa all you need to show is interpersonal skills and confidence. I said that only matters once you get the interview to get to that point of even a phone interview your resume will be screened with the 50 others that will pass the gpa threshold.

Even then the hiring manager which is usually vp level or above won't have the time or desire to go through even 5 resumes and have 5 phone interviews. What happens is hr gets 100 of these resumes . Checks for basic things to see if thu fit the criteria required for the job and passes along to the hiring manager the resumes that make hrs cut. Then the hiring manager will a lot of times share these resumes with the people in the dept who will work directly with this person and get their opinion on the resumes then he or she will look at those resumes and give their opinion. The hiring manager has to make the final decision as this person will count against their depts budget even if they won't work directly with them. They will then after 3 or 4 different people have looked at the resumes and made cuts SOLELY on resumes will they have screening calls where finally you can show your super duper interpersonal skills.

But of course you know better and I've never worked for a fortune 500 company or been part of this process. Rofl .. A+ for effort, try harder next time rofl

When was the last time you talked to anyone from HR/Recruiting and how they conduct business? Big companies have now switched over to a multi-round process, which invloves an dinner that gets all the candidates together. They then narrow it down from 20+. They're recruiting in bunches at this point and then cutting down after seeing the candiates in person. This only applies to college recruits however.

I'm done with this topic because it doesn't really effect me either way. Stay Confident Shipati :lol:
Subway Token
RealGM
And1: 157

Post#216 » by Subway Token » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 pm

My mother owns her own recruiting firm, and I've worked with her a bunch of times. I can confirm, CGC. But it's not always the case.
BAT 14.0 Judge. PM for paypal info.
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#217 » by Subway Token » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 pm

NetsFanCheryl is no more :D
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#218 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am

NetsFanCheryl wrote:NetsFanCheryl is no more :D
ComboGuardCity
RealGM

Post#219 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 am

Paco, you're a mod. Change it back!
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#220 » by Subway Token » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 am

Y'all mad.

Return to New York Knicks