How would you rebuild the Kings/Sonics

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

twinthunder3
Veteran
And1: 93

Re: How would you rebuild the Kings/Sonics 

Post#21 » by twinthunder3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 am

Well, first, you start with Phil Jackson.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#22 » by EddieJonesFan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 am

Replace the play-for-stats one-on-one underachieving chuckers with players who are not that.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#23 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 am

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:I think DMC should go, he is a headcase and his FG % is horrible

DMC January numbers:
35.7min 21.9pts (.505 .783) 12.6reb 3.6ast 1.6stl 0.6blk

Blake Griffin Jan:
32.5min 18.5pts (.491 .688) 7.6reb 4.3ast 1.5stl 0.8blk

Dwight Howard Jan:
33.9min 15.1pts (.625 .463) 14.0reb 0.6ast 0.4stl 2.5blk

David Lee Jan:
37.1min 17.6pts (.464 .735) 9.9reb 4.2ast 0.8stl 0.1blk

LaMarcus Aldridge Jan:
38.8min 19.1pts (.435 .825) 10.9reb 3.1ast 0.8stl 1.2blk

Marc Gasol Jan:
32.8min 11.1pts (.436 .860) 7.3reb 2.8ast 1.2stl 2.0blk

Zach Randolph Jan:
34.8min 13.9pts (.449 .686) 9.2reb 1.4ast 0.8stl 0.1blk

It would be a heck of a thing if the very first move the reborn franchise makes is trading away potentially the best big in the game.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#24 » by ADoaN17 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:21 am

Thomas will definitely stay, maybe Aaron Brooks tho. Both are from Washington.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#25 » by TheCage4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 am

Mk0 wrote:I posted this on the Bulls board.

Hire Phil Jackson as President of Basketball Operations. He does 90% of his job sitting on his porch in Montana. He hires GM-in-title Kurt Rambis, Head Coach Brian Shaw and Assistant Coach Scottie Pippen to beat the triangle into Cousins thick skull. Rebuild the roster around DMC + Triangle.

Challenge Shaq to put his money where his mouth is and sign on for a 2-year contract as the big man coach, personally taking responsibility for turning DMC into the franchise center he can be.

Hire Gary Payton as Sonics Ambassador (Scottie's current job for the Bulls). Where he sits court side and bathe in adoration whenever he feels like going to a game.

Hire Kemp as head of custodians. He has like 9 kids to feed.

Why it works:
Pip wants to be a head coach, but if PJ says this is your shot, this is what I have for you. Then no doubt he takes the assistant gig.

Shaw gets to be a Head Coach

Rambis gets out of the studio and gets to be a GM. Phil still has final say-so as Pres. of Ops.

Shaq gets to feed his ego by taking credit for any and all DMC success.

Its a win for everyone involved. The tough part is tricking Shaq into giving up the TNT gig, but if it has a chance to boost his legacy he may do it. Feed his ego and get him into buying into it as the next stage of his career.

As a Bulls fan I would hate to lose Scottie since we have so few ties to the title team around, but he deserves a spot on the bench.

As a fan of the Sonics even through the tertiary relationship of going to their games when visiting friends I would love it. It would be the ultimate franchise rebuild. Everyone involved with your FO have multiple championship rings under their belt. From different eras and positions. Talk about building with a winning pedigree.

Don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard Bulls fan but the Sonics have always been one of my favorite teams. I am from Northern California and when I was a kid if you weren't pretending to be Jordan you were the Glove or JKidd. Having ties to Seattle only enhanced that bond and although half of my family are Kings fans I cannot help but be excited to see Sonics basketball. It is a damn shame to lose the Kings, but in the end losing them to Seattle to new, key word, NEW owner group is huge.

It is bitter sweet but new the Hansen Sonics >>>> Maloof Anaheim Kings.

Specifically on this thread I have to say that if the above is in action than you keep.

Brooks(expiring in a year?)/Thomas/Jimmer
Thornton
JJ/Salmons (expiring I assume)
T-Rob, Jason Thompson, Chuck Hayes
Cousins

Trade everyone else for expiring contracts and draft picks. Pray you get a good lotto bounce and rebuild around Cousins your draft pick. In FA you pick up some solid vets to help mentor the youth and fill specialty roles.

Play it out for a year and ship out the guys who don't fit or if on a 2 year deal let them play it out and trade as an expiring.

I actually just wasted my time reading this :o
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#26 » by LikeABosh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 am

Dump the horrible salaries, trade Reke for anything of value, keep DMC/Robinson, tank, tank again
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,529

Post#27 » by PaKwAn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 am

-get a good gm
-get a good coach
-hope the owners don't mind spending for the good of the team
-pray to God and adam silver to give them andrew wiggins
hamek
Junior
And1: 8

Post#28 » by hamek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 am

TheCage4 wrote:
Mk0 wrote:I posted this on the Bulls board.

Hire Phil Jackson as President of Basketball Operations. He does 90% of his job sitting on his porch in Montana. He hires GM-in-title Kurt Rambis, Head Coach Brian Shaw and Assistant Coach Scottie Pippen to beat the triangle into Cousins thick skull. Rebuild the roster around DMC + Triangle.

Challenge Shaq to put his money where his mouth is and sign on for a 2-year contract as the big man coach, personally taking responsibility for turning DMC into the franchise center he can be.

Hire Gary Payton as Sonics Ambassador (Scottie's current job for the Bulls). Where he sits court side and bathe in adoration whenever he feels like going to a game.

Hire Kemp as head of custodians. He has like 9 kids to feed.

Why it works:
Pip wants to be a head coach, but if PJ says this is your shot, this is what I have for you. Then no doubt he takes the assistant gig.

Shaw gets to be a Head Coach

Rambis gets out of the studio and gets to be a GM. Phil still has final say-so as Pres. of Ops.

Shaq gets to feed his ego by taking credit for any and all DMC success.

Its a win for everyone involved. The tough part is tricking Shaq into giving up the TNT gig, but if it has a chance to boost his legacy he may do it. Feed his ego and get him into buying into it as the next stage of his career.

As a Bulls fan I would hate to lose Scottie since we have so few ties to the title team around, but he deserves a spot on the bench.

As a fan of the Sonics even through the tertiary relationship of going to their games when visiting friends I would love it. It would be the ultimate franchise rebuild. Everyone involved with your FO have multiple championship rings under their belt. From different eras and positions. Talk about building with a winning pedigree.

Don't get me wrong, I am a die-hard Bulls fan but the Sonics have always been one of my favorite teams. I am from Northern California and when I was a kid if you weren't pretending to be Jordan you were the Glove or JKidd. Having ties to Seattle only enhanced that bond and although half of my family are Kings fans I cannot help but be excited to see Sonics basketball. It is a damn shame to lose the Kings, but in the end losing them to Seattle to new, key word, NEW owner group is huge.

It is bitter sweet but new the Hansen Sonics >>>> Maloof Anaheim Kings.

Specifically on this thread I have to say that if the above is in action than you keep.

Brooks(expiring in a year?)/Thomas/Jimmer
Thornton
JJ/Salmons (expiring I assume)
T-Rob, Jason Thompson, Chuck Hayes
Cousins

Trade everyone else for expiring contracts and draft picks. Pray you get a good lotto bounce and rebuild around Cousins your draft pick. In FA you pick up some solid vets to help mentor the youth and fill specialty roles.

Play it out for a year and ship out the guys who don't fit or if on a 2 year deal let them play it out and trade as an expiring.

I actually just wasted my time reading this :o

Wasted? I thought it was a good read.
83SixersRocked wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:Any team willing to give up a top 3 protected Lottery pick for Shawn Marion?

Despite the site name we're not real GMs.
Elj4y
Pro Prospect
And1: 11

Post#29 » by Elj4y » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 am

It's times like this I'm glad to have moved from Toronto to Seattle. New team, it's a great city, players want to be here, and there's a ton of basketball history. Oh, and Washington has no state income tax. BAM
You either retire a champion, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Raptor.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#30 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 am

The player logjam in the backcourt is the place to start.

But any player movement is totally irrelevant - the first order of business would be a new and GOOD coach.

Splash the cash on the best coach possible, and move from there according to his vision and help him build this roster on\around the player he identify as the cornerstones.

Cousins I think is the only guy "safe", or atleast should be. Trading him before seeing him under a real coach with a real gameplan and stability would be the most stupid and moronic thing the new management if in Sacramento or in Seattle can do.

He is just too good, too talented, and too dominant currently and potentially - and had too bad a situation to properly evaluate under the Maloofs, to be moved that easy. Look at JJ Hickson.

If he does not work out, he can always be moved and will always have high demand, so it's not like you're gonna lose much - you only have something to gain by waiting and seeing if he realizes his potential if met by a proper environment around him and a roster that makes sense, and a coach that can actually make him better.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,829

Post#31 » by Mk0 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am

TheCage4 wrote:I actually just wasted my time reading this :o

Any reason in particular? I am curious not offended.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#32 » by eagereyez » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 am

Make Phil Jackson a part of the organization and hire Nate McMillan as head coach.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,715

Post#33 » by QPR » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am

Would not entertain parting with Cousins without first getting him under a new coaching set-up. Ideally would build around Cousins and Robinson in the front court.

Would keep Thomas given his roots, and maybe Jimmer. Evans would go to the highest bidder, everyone else available.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#34 » by TheCage4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Mk0 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:I actually just wasted my time reading this :o

Any reason in particular? I am curious not offended.

I understand the comical aspects of the post, but overall it's just fanciful nonsense.

I'd love to see old greats like Pip, Shaq, Payton, etc. get NBA office gigs, but there experience on court does not mean they will be good off of it. Just look at Jordan, Isaiah Thomas, Mullen, Kerr, Unseld, McHale, Baylor.

I did not mean to bash your post by any means.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#35 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 pm

When you miss year after year on draft picks....then cleaning house doesn't matter. Need a new GM IMO. This years selection was another miss...Could have Linard...Barnes... Kings missed on Ferdette...And while Cousins is a stud...the combination of him and a bunch of young knuckle heads is not a solution.... So again it's the GM missing on building a team.

The Kings GM has only put together one good team in the last 15-20 years...and that was based on two trades that landed him Webber and Vlade.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#36 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 pm

PaKwAn wrote:-get a good gm
-get a good coach
-hope the owners don't mind spending for the good of the team
-pray to God and adam silver to give them andrew wiggins

What he said...
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#37 » by Wolves21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

The steps I would take is as follows

-Call Phil Jackson and offer him the head coaching job,if he doesn't want that then the GM job.Offer any amount of $ that he wants.

-If Phil takes the GM job then hire Brian Shaw as the new head coach.

-Talk to OKC about getting back the history of the team(i.e records,titles,retired numbers...ect)sense I believe that OKC actually owns all of the Sonics records now but just not the name and team image.

-Bring back former players like Gary Payton in a ambassador type role.

-Gut the current Kings roster with the exception of Cousins whom should be one of the building blocks of the future.Even with his attitude its would be hard for me to give up on a guy who could be a 20 and 10 player.With a new scene in Seattle and if you can lock up Phil and Brian I think his attitude would really change.

-Build the team in the Thunder/Spurs model of going threw the draft and finding your star players to go around Cousins and make smaller moves threw treads and FA.
Lucky Striker
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#38 » by Lucky Striker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Cousins has to go. He's poison. And it will only get worse.

Trade DMC and John Salmons to CHA for Gerald Henderson, Biyombo, Diop (EC), and future 1st

Trade Tyreke and Chuck Hayes to Boston for Avery Bradley, Jason Terry, and Fab Melo.

Trade Jimmer and M.Thornton to Utah for Paul Millsap and Randy Foye (EC)

I.Thomas/A.Brooks/J.Terry
A.Bradley/F.Garcia
G.Henderson/James Johnson
Millsap/T.Robinson
Biyombo/J.Thompson/F.Melo

I'd then throw a lot of money at Brandon Jennings in FA. Of course re-sign Gerald Henderson and Paul Millsap.

Creates a hard nosed, tough defensive team that can score a bit, and is athletic enough to run.
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#39 » by yearsago » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 am

1. Get Phil Jackson to be president

2. Get RC Buford to be GM, if not him than his disciple, Sam Presti

3. Hire Mac10 to coach, I think he got a bad wrap in Portland. Great connection to past sonics history (huge point for skeptical city

4. Do whatever you have to do to get DMC's head in straight. Franchise quality Bigs don't grow on trees.

5. This years draft does not look great, so I wouldn't trade pieces unless you see something you want, maybe future draft choices?

6. Keep T-Rob (young big with potential), jimmer (shooter, good character guy), Isiah (local kid, hustle off bench)

7. Trade tyreke Evans, and other pieces.

8. Clear cap space save it for 2015-2016

9. Get Durant home, win championship
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
ClayDavis
Head Coach
And1: 104

Post#40 » by ClayDavis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:27 am

fire the organization from top to bottom. peotrie was leaving but just do it. hire mike malone, trade everyone not named cousins.

Return to The General Board