Seattle group gets Kings

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Re: Seattle group gets Kings 

Post#321 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 am

If you guys read and understand all the situation and how things went, and still don't realize the Maloofs don't want to sell to Sacramento "JUST BECAUSE", unless they are forced to do so - then I have nothing to talk to anyone of you.

Simple. If they were about the money, they would admit the team is up for sale when they hiddenly negotiated with other cities.

If they were about the money, they would give Sacramento or any other group time to match or up the price of Seattle, as any reasonable man would do cause they know others are trying and willing to buy the team.

If they were about the money, they would not close the deal so fast with such short notice all of a sudden, and make Sacramento make their bid in the BOG meeting, and try make the NBA to force them into selling to Sacramento.

They are without a doubt trying to stick it to Sacramento, and if you're too blind to see that, well, I feel sorry for you.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Post#322 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 am

catch22 wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:Are you guys daft? They won't even talk to Sacramento buyers, and shut them down at the door.

How is that not getting through your heads? Is the fact that they went undercover while claiming team is "NOT FOR SALE" and negotiated with other cities not enough?

Is the fact that they closed the deal with Seattle in haste without even talking or giving Sacramento a chance to match or bid higher not enough?

You guys consistently continue to ignore facts.

If they were all about the money, why didn't they give Sacramento time to match or make a bid? why did they close the deal is such haste and force the Kings to make their bid in the BOG meeting? Answer that why don't you.

There's zero logical reason that if they had been offered $600M that they wouldn't have sold to a local ownership group. The Maloofs are terrible owners and might be pissed at Sacramento, but it's pretty obvious they only care about one thing and that''s themselves. Are you telling me they're so pissed at Sacramento they would screw themselves to hold onto a grudge? I don't buy that.

They didn't even let Sacramento match or offer anything, saying they were NOT for sale and then doing an under the table deal with the Seattle group. So yes, it sure sounds like a grudge to me.
Inigo_Montoya
Pro Prospect
And1: 42

Post#323 » by Inigo_Montoya » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:So you're telling me if Burkle offered 600mill, he wouldn't sell to him? Get real. The Maloofs are all about money.

The thing is the Maloofs are not about the money. You cannot assume that they have behaved like rational businessmen in the past. Look at their history of investments: The Palms, skateboard contests, record labels, cake flavored vodka and so on. They are all about image, nothing else. If they were serious about money they never would have given up their one sure thing- their dad's beer distributorship.
ThEMvP
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#324 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 am

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:So you're telling me if Burkle offered 600mill, he wouldn't sell to him? Get real. The Maloofs are all about money.

They didn't even listen to his offers, as they told him and everyone that they are NOT for sale for the past 5 years.

Maybe the Maloofs felt that whatever Sacramento/Burkle offered wouldn't be a high enough offer, and it would only marginally be higher than the market valuation?

Until Seattle called up and offered them $525mm, and totally blew their minds out with this high figure? In the end, money talks.

No one knows, but it could've very well been something like this:
Burkle: I want to buy the Kings
Maloofs: No, sorry it's not for sale (thinking that whatever they offer would only be market valuation + a small goodwill)

Hansen: I'll pay $525mm, $30mm guaranteed by Feb if you keep this a secret and not shop the offer around
Maloofs: Deal
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#325 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 am

catch22 wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:Are you guys daft? They won't even talk to Sacramento buyers, and shut them down at the door.

How is that not getting through your heads? Is the fact that they went undercover while claiming team is "NOT FOR SALE" and negotiated with other cities not enough?

Is the fact that they closed the deal with Seattle in haste without even talking or giving Sacramento a chance to match or bid higher not enough?

If they were all about the money, why didn't they give Sacramento time to match or make a bid? why did they close the deal is such haste and force the Kings to make their bid in the BOG meeting? Answer that why don't you.

There's zero logical reason that if they had been offered $600M that they wouldn't have sold to a local ownership group. The Maloofs are terrible owners and might be pissed at Sacramento, but it's pretty obvious they only care about one thing and that''s themselves. Are you telling me they're so pissed at Sacramento they would screw themselves to hold onto a grudge? I don't buy that.

Why did they tell Sacramento potential buyers(and specifically Burkle) the team isn't for sale everywhere, despite negotiating with other cities like thieves in the night?

Why did they not allow or give Sacramento time to match or up the Seattle bid?

Answer me.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#326 » by deNIEd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:40 am

ThEMvP wrote:Wait...what? I thought the whole point Stern made to KJ was that he could proceed and get an ownership group together and present it to the BOG, then the BOG could choose between the two offers?

If the only chance for KJ to present his offer, is AFTER the BOG rejects Seattle's deal...then the Kings are pretty much gone? I don't see how the owners would vote against any move, as each owner would individually like their colleague's support in case they would like to move their franchises sometime down the line. Also the relocation money gets split between the owners, another added revenue.

It is.

But the Maloofs cannot entertain any offers. Meaning they personally are not able to go out and look for a better deal. KJ isn't really looking to present his offer to the Maloofs, its to the NBA and BOG.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#327 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:40 am

ThEMvP wrote:
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:

They didn't even listen to his offers, as they told him and everyone that they are NOT for sale for the past 5 years.

Maybe the Maloofs felt that whatever Sacramento/Burkle offered wouldn't be a high enough offer, and it would only marginally be higher than the market valuation?

Until Seattle called up and offered them $525mm, and totally blew their minds out with this high figure? In the end, money talks.

Maloofs: No, sorry it's not for sale (thinking that whatever they offer would only be market valuation + a small goodwill)

Hansen: I'll pay $525mm, $30mm guaranteed by Feb if you keep this a secret and not shop the offer around

If they were all about the money, they would start up a bidding war for the team, NOT signing the highest offer given, moving on and not letting anyone else match it. By the way, Sacramento doesn't have to offer $525 million (they aren't paying that, that's just the value of the team entirely, it's more around $340 million), they can simply say, work with us, we'll pay off your loan, give you the same amount, etc etc.
ThEMvP
Veteran

Post#328 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 am

boogie-reke wrote:If you guys read and understand all the situation and how things went, and still don't realize the Maloofs don't want to sell to Sacramento "JUST BECAUSE", unless they are forced to do so - then I have nothing to talk to anyone of you.

Simple. If they were about the money, they would admit the team is up for sale when they hiddenly negotiated with other cities.

If they were about the money, they would give Sacramento or any other group time to match or up the price of Seattle, as any reasonable man would do cause they know others are trying and willing to buy the team.

If they were about the money, they would not close the deal so fast with such short notice all of a sudden, and make Sacramento make their bid in the BOG meeting, and try make the NBA to force them into selling to Sacramento.

They are without a doubt trying to stick it to Sacramento, and if you're too blind to see that, well, I feel sorry for you.

Think about it from a business sense, you're totally thinking from the opposite here.

Whether you're buying a car from the dealership, a home, or in the general business world, a potential buyer can approach the owner, and go:
Buyer: I want to buy this asset, I'll pay X amount over market value, and pay you Y upfront, but you must accept the offer by Z date, and will not be allowed to shop our offer around.
Obviously for a car dealership you wouldn't pay over market value, but I think this example is very clear.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#329 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 am

ThEMvP wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:If you guys read and understand all the situation and how things went, and still don't realize the Maloofs don't want to sell to Sacramento "JUST BECAUSE", unless they are forced to do so - then I have nothing to talk to anyone of you.

Think about it from a business sense, you're totally thinking from the opposite here.

Whether you're buying a car from the dealership, a home, or in the general business world, a potential buyer can approach the owner, and go:
Buyer: I want to buy this asset, I'll pay X amount over market value, and pay you Y upfront, but you must accept the offer by Z date, and will not be allowed to shop our offer around.
Obviously for a car dealership you wouldn't pay over market value, but I think this example is very clear.

Then obviously, they aren't about the money, or they would have let a bidding war start. Just report how much was offered and see where it goes.
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#330 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 am

ThEMvP wrote:
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:

Are you freaking kidding me with that godawful exchange and logic?

Yea, Burkle, a man who's worth over 3 billion dollars, would just get shot down at the door and be told "Tell Ron Burkle to return to where ever he came from" on the press, cause they THINK that he might make a "low" bid (What indication do they have to think that? is it the over 3 billion dollar net worth?).

Just stop talking if you're not really understanding and living this situation to know what - and most importantly WHO - you're talking about.
catch22
Junior
And1: 5

Post#331 » by catch22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 am

boogie-reke wrote:
catch22 wrote:

Why did they tell Sacramento potential buyers(and specifically Burkle) the team isn't for sale everywhere, despite negotiating with other cities like thieves in the night?

Why did they not allow or give Sacramento time to match or up the Seattle bid?

Answer me.

I can't answer that, nobody can besides the Maloofs. There's a report that they offered the same deal to Larry Ellison and he wasn't interested. So maybe they did see if somebody would match it and nobody did. Nobody knows for sure.
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#332 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:47 am

And there's reports that they refuse to sell to Sacramento owners, from the respected David Aldridge.

Quite a cop out to go with the "nobody knows" - when you're trying to tell us to use logic, yet dismiss it when we counter it.

I didn't ask you what you know, I know you know nothing, and none of us do. I asked you what this looks like - that's what we're all discussing here, how things look.

This looks like this is NOTHING about the money, and this looks like the Maloofs do not wish to sell to Sacramento unless they are forced to by the NBA.
ThEMvP
Veteran

Post#333 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 am

xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:
ThEMvP wrote:

Then obviously, they aren't about the money, or they would have let a bidding war start. Just report how much was offered and see where it goes.

The thing is, all the signs point towards that it has everything to do with the money. Again, Seattle could very well approach the Maloofs, offer then $525mm with an incentive $30mm guaranteed by Feb, and that they'd have to accept the offer within a certain time frame. Remember how the story leaked about a week ago that the Kings were about to move? Then all of a sudden the offer, and more details surfaceyesterday? This could've very well been the conditions Hansen laid out on the Maloofs. $X valuation, $Y guaranteed, by Z date. Take it or leave it.

And if you're the Maloofs, why wouldn't you accept this? It's guaranteed $30 million. If the NBA approves it, they get $30 mil AND the subsequent portion of the $525mm valuation. If the NBA rejects it and goes with KJ's bid, they get another $30 mil for free.
catch22
Junior
And1: 5

Post#334 » by catch22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 am

boogie-reke wrote:And there's reports that they refuse to sell to Sacramento owners, from the respected David Aldridge.

Quite a cop out to go with the "nobody knows" - when you're trying to tell us to use logic, yet dismiss it when we counter it.

I didn't ask you what you know, I know you know nothing, and none of us do. I asked you what this looks like - that's what we're all discussing here, how things look.

This looks like this is NOTHING about the money, and this looks like the Maloofs do not wish to sell to Sacramento unless they are forced to by the NBA.

So why would they shop the deal to Ellison then?
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#335 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 am

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- As Sacramento officials continue to prepare a counter-offer to keep the Kings from being sold to the Seattle-based group led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, it appears they they have their money men.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, 24-Hour Fitness Founder Mark Mastrov and billionaire Ron Burkle - who is part owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins - are in serious talks to collaborate on a bid to buy the Kings. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the talks. The fact that the two men are willing to join forces is seen as significant by Sacramento supporters. There are five potential owners currently in play, but Mastrov and Burkle are seen as the heaviest hitters among that group.

Burkle is known to be focused on the arena plan that is unfolding at Sacramento's downtown plaza, where the property's new owners, JMA Ventures, have shown an interest in partnering with prospective owners of the Kings on the project. Mastrov made a serious bid to buy the Golden State Warriors before the team was purchased by the Joe Lacob/Peter Guber group in July 2010.

The Maloof family that has a 53 percent majority interest and minority owner Bob Hernreich have reached an agreement with the Hansen-Ballmer group that must be approved by the NBA's Board of Governor's, with the deal set to pay them approximately $341 million for 65 percent of the team (a $525 million valuation). But Sacramento mayor and former NBA point guard Kevin Johson has been told by commissioner David Stern that he still has a chance to save his team if he can provide the funds to compete with the Seattle offer as well as a viable arena plan and present both to the Board of Governors.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... n/1856939/
boogie-reke
Head Coach

Post#336 » by boogie-reke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 am

catch22 wrote:
boogie-reke wrote:And there's reports that they refuse to sell to Sacramento owners, from the respected David Aldridge.

So why would they shop the deal to Ellison then?

Why would they not shop to deal with Burkle? Why would they not shop to deal with Kevin Johnson and whoever he has contacts with?
ThEMvP
Veteran

Post#337 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 am

boogie-reke wrote:
Are you freaking kidding me with that godawful exchange and logic?

Yea, Burkle, a man who's worth over 3 billion dollars, would just get shot down at the door and be told "Tell Ron Burkle to return to where ever he came from" on the press, cause they THINK that he might make a "low" bid (What indication do they have to think that? is it the over 3 billion dollar net worth?).

Just stop talking if you're not really understanding and living this situation to know what - and most importantly WHO - you're talking about.

Lol I don't know how to explain it any better. Have you purchased a car from a dealership? Have you purchased a home before? Have you been a part of a business acquisition before?

These are tactics that are commonly used, believe it or not.

Again, no one knows for sure what's going on with the Maloofs, it's all speculation, you know just as much as what I know, which is what's leaked out so far.

The Maloofs may very well hate Sacramento, or hate Burkle. Who knows?

Or Seattle may have just given them an offer that they can't refuse. $30mm guaranteed. $525mm valuation.

Again, everyone has a price.

Answer me this, if your home was worth $300k, and person A was interested and asked you to sell, but you refuse. Then person B walks up, offers you 75% over the market valuation and offered you $525k with $30k guaranteed...would you not think about it?

It's a win/win for the Maloofs. If the deal gets approved for Seattle, they win. If the NBA approves KJ's deal, they win also. How hard is that to understand?
ThEMvP
Veteran

Post#338 » by ThEMvP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 am

They could've just thought, "let's take the $30 mil, and let Seattle and Sacramento bid against themselves", which makes perfect sense.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#339 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:05 am

I guess Burkle's word is now gold. No way he offered the same amount of money. You guys are acting like the Maloofs hung up the phone when Burkle/anyone called. That's not how a proposal works. How the hell did Hansen get enough time to spit out a number then? Burkle's deal probably wasn't attractive enough.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,901

Post#340 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 am

USAToday copy editors being arrested by grammar police as we speak:

"Board of Governor's" Really?!

ThEMvP wrote:They could've just thought, "let's take the $30 mil, and let Seattle and Sacramento bid against themselves", which makes perfect sense.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, too. Looks like Burkle's back in play.

Say for whatever reason the BOG rejects the Seattle offer and KJ presents Sac offer, Maloofs can still say no to that? I mean, can the league do anything about their simply not wanting to sell to a Sac group (if that's indeed an intention)?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to The General Board