Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Re: Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach 

Post#61 » by TyCobb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 am

They're an old team with a weak bench with real liabilities playing too fast.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
KevinUrb
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#62 » by KevinUrb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 am

TyCobb wrote:They're an old team with a weak bench with real liabilities playing too fast.

With a coach that doesn't realize these problems and is forcing this system on them
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#63 » by minifang » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 am

KevinUrb wrote:
TyCobb wrote:They're an old team with a weak bench with real liabilities playing too fast.

With a coach that doesn't realize these problems and is forcing this system on them

Exactly. A coach to build a system around the players, not the other way around.
The Purple and Gold
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#64 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 am

Been making adjustments for 6 weeks... But took him 5 to realize Clark might should have a minute or 2.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#65 » by minifang » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 am

I also don't get why Meeks and Jamison traded places in the doghouse. Jodie has a more reliable shot.
The Purple and Gold
JustAwesome
Analyst
And1: 78

Post#66 » by JustAwesome » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 am

KevinUrb wrote:With a coach that doesn't realize these problems and is forcing this system on them

D'Antoni realizes the problem, but that doesn't mean that he's inclined to do anything about it.
AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Post#67 » by AI » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:38 am

Of course Mitch isn't going to admit that MDA is the problem.

However, if he wants D12 to re-sign, MDA either needs to voluntarily resign or be fired by offseason.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,577

Re: Dwight Howard's camp requested the Lakers reach out to P 

Post#68 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 am

Dwight hasn't done **** for this organization and he is already making demands. Kobe wasn't making demands until he had a solid footprint in this organization, so neither should Dwight
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#69 » by AcecardZ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 am

The lack of effort stems from an inability to put forth a better effort. Why we can't out forth a better effort is up to debate... Age? Lack of caring? Whatever, the point is we get ran circles around, pushed around, out hustled, out jumped, outran, outfought and outshot! The odd time I see us put up any sort of resistance the referees step in and call us for some weak ****.

Let's face it, this season is over. If our best player can only give a solid effort on one half of the court we were doomed from the get go anyway. If our second best player can't run or jump or play any defense whatsoever we were doomed from the get go. If our third best player is still recovering from back surgery and not near 100% we were doomed from the get go. If our fourth best player missed more than half the season to date due to a broken leg and upon return has almost no explosiveness to speak of we may not have been doomed from the start hells bells we're sill doomed! The point I'm getting at is our team is the perfect collection of suck right now and as much as I've tried to blame one person, as much as we've all tried to blame one person (Pau) it's painfully clear at this point it's not one person's fault. Collectively we suck and collectively we're going to continue to suck. As the losses build up our confidence will further whither and the suckage will get even worse.

Figure out a way to enjoy the basketball season without expectation for our Lakers. Anything more will just let you down.

I love my Lakers and will continue to watch but their fate has been signed sealed and delivered!

All great runs come to an end. Ours came just a bit sooner than we were all ready for. Even the additions of Dwight and Nash weren't enough to revive the once mighty beast that was the Lakers..

Enjoy what's left of the season guys because I don't see us going undefeated from the all star break on.

Sorry this prob belongs in the rant thread...
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
So Gutta
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#70 » by So Gutta » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 am

AI wrote:Of course Mitch isn't going to admit that MDA is the problem.

However, if he wants D12 to re-sign, MDA either needs to voluntarily resign or be fired by offseason.

Exactly. If Dwight says "fire D'Antoni or I won't re-sign" (like he essentially did in Orlando) then the Lakers will cross that bridge when they need to during the off-season (unless Phil is down right now for another year or two).

Mitch is right though that effort is the main thing.

Is Dwight just gonna give up like a little b****? So he's okay with the city of LA hating him too?

Lakers will call his bluff regardless, imo.
"Put five thousand bucks on the Lakers." --Krusty The Clown
TheFix
Banned User
And1: 98

Post#71 » by TheFix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 am

If he thinks effort is the problem, call out some names.

This sort of passive-aggressive, "don't hold people accountable" bull**** should get him fired.
Draper
Sixth Man
And1: 14

Post#72 » by Draper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 am

If somehow D'Antoni did resign (again), would we owe him any of his contract? I'm sure the fact that we're still paying Mike Brown $4M a year is a huge factor in our future with D'Antoni.
Draper
Sixth Man
And1: 14

Post#73 » by Draper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am

TheFix wrote:If he thinks effort is the problem, call out some names.

This sort of passive-aggressive, "don't hold people accountable" bull**** should get him fired.

That's the last thing we need; our GM calling out players in the media. Mitch put together a team that nearly everyone expected to contend if not win it all, sure the roster had some weaknesses but we figured our strengths were enough to cover them up... we were obviously wrong but if anyone's job should be safe it's Mitch.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by AcecardZ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 am

I don't think Mitch's job should be in jeopardy. It was very clear we weren't going to win with the pieces we had so had to try to do something. To a T we'd all pretty much agree he got the best pieces possible given the flexibility we had. Even if the pieces acquired didn't end up working out it's not fair to blame Mitch as his options were extremely limited.

Sucks the Hail Mary fell incomplete this time... :(
Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#75 » by Minge » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 am

Comment removed.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#76 » by kblo247 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 am

This is code for my two bosses named Buss are dumbasses with no sense of what it takes to win and didnt assess these parts, like with the last mike, so I have to cover for them and spot his new dumbass
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by AcecardZ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 am

Minge wrote:I wonder if they’d be in this mess if they’d signed Kidd rather than Nash, and subsequently, D’Antoni.

We'd still be slow but Kidd is infinitely more versatile than Nash. He's longer, rebounds better and defends better. It would have been interesting to see what impact he would have had on our team... With Kidd I believe we're in the playoff picture but still not contending.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,429

Post#78 » by aguifs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 am

What a joke....
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
dub81
Sixth Man
And1: 182

Post#79 » by dub81 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 am

So a team with Kobe and Steve Nash who eats and breath's basketball are lacking effort? Thanks Mitch for the encouraging words
vmor
Sophomore
And1: 4

LAT: who would you rather see return? Howard, Gasol or MDA? 

Post#80 » by vmor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am

T.J. SIMERS, LAT: Mike D'Antoni isn't the one to flip the switch for the Lakers:
"... Kobe Bryant said things aren't working and it's time for a change.
Coach Mike D'Antoni decided the Lakers didn't need to practice Tuesday.
Dear Phil…"

"... He promised Showtime, but who knew he was talking about the opposition? In fact he promised a lot, and has yet to deliver anything.
...isn't the problem the guy who is being paid to get the most out of each one of them?
Yet it's unclear whether he even communicates with them..."

"... Does Howard return with D'Antoni in command?
If not, does Gasol move to center and play with zest for a coach who has already eviscerated him?"

Many of us thought MDA was the wrong choice from the beginning - and I sure still do!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers