ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: "Disrespected" Scalabrine Challenges Fans to 1-on-1

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

OT: "Disrespected" Scalabrine Challenges Fans to 1-on-1 

Post#1 » by JV4MVP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 am

Good job Brian :D

Over 11 NBA seasons, journeyman forward Brian Scalabrine cultivated an image of a regular guy who just happened to play basketball. Eventually, many fans came to believe that Scalabrine was an Average Joe, not an elite athlete (as all NBA players are), and figured that he probably wasn't that great at the profession that earned him tens of millions of dollars. This summer, Scalabrine said that he resented this suggestion (even if he also heartily embraced the regular guy image), and in December he challenged any Boston-area amateur basketball players to games of one-on-one...

Scalabrine — who spent the last few seasons of his career seen as the “human victory cigar” — easily defeated all four of his opponents, throwing down monstrous jams and sinking smooth jumpers as he beat them all by a combined score of 44-6.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... --nba.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOw8aC78LoU[/youtube]

* I believe that 1st guy in the video made the roster at Syracuse

Edit: Updated video
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Re: OT: "Disrespected" Scalabrine Challenges Fans to 1-on-1 

Post#2 » by C.Boshly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 am

Pretty cool... Looks like a normal player in the 1st game then he really heats up.

You gotta be a good player to last in the nba as long as Scal does... Kinda sucks he is a joke. Everyone wants to be respected for what they do. Although the money probably soothes his ego...
BC_IS_A_PLAYA
Starter
And1: 3,878

Post#3 » by BC_IS_A_PLAYA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 am

I'd glady accept him on our roster now and in past years.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#4 » by roundhead0 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 am

That's awesome. When I saw the title i thought it meant he challenged fans to a fight :lol:

Still not as impressive as Arenas shooting threes while eating a sandwich.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 am

I hope this is a joke.
orangutooth
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#6 » by orangutooth » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 am

none of those guys could score against his length but i'm kind of surprised that a lot of those guys defence caused him some trouble.
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
Elj4y
Pro Prospect
And1: 11

Post#7 » by Elj4y » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 am

I reallllly doubt any of these guys thought they could take him... they probably just wanted a chance to go up against an NBA player.
You either retire a champion, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Raptor.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#8 » by StatLine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 am

Why would you challenge the GOAT
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,242

Post#9 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 am

Yeah, saw this one. Guy wasn't trying too hard, had two 11-nothings though :lol:
ballercb4
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#10 » by ballercb4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 am

3 on 1 :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvOFd22Vuw[/youtube]
WyseGuy
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#11 » by WyseGuy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 am

Any quality college player with decent height and strength should be able to do a much better job against him. Most of those guys did well defensively except the young kid, he was too light. The last guy needed more weight too but his length helped him out. They were all really bad offensively though. Forcing shots, playing to Scal's advantages. The first black guy would have been the most likely to grab a game, with his strength and athleticism, but he couldn't buy a bucket.
AAAAA1
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#12 » by AAAAA1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 am

roundhead0 wrote:That's awesome. When I saw the title i thought it meant he challenged fans to a fight :lol:

Still not as impressive as Arenas shooting threes while eating a sandwich.

show me.
Hyperglide
Pro Prospect
And1: 277

Post#13 » by Hyperglide » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 am

WyseGuy wrote:Any quality college player with decent height and strength should be able to do a much better job against him. Most of those guys did well defensively except the young kid, he was too light. The last guy needed more weight too but his length helped him out. They were all really bad offensively though. Forcing shots, playing to Scal's advantages. The first black guy would have been the most likely to grab a game, with his strength and athleticism, but he couldn't buy a bucket.

lol Scal wasn't even trying dude. This post is hilarious.

:lol:
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,165

Post#14 » by Anatomize » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 am

Many people have this notion that just because you're an end bench guy in the NBA or a "human victory cigar" then you absolutely suck.

These guys would absolutely destroy any average joe pickup basketball player, and even many college players. Scalabrine wasn't even really trying out there... a prime example of how good "scrubs" are in the NBA is when they go to a bad team and get high usage and shot volume (ala Alan Anderson - I mean who cared about him before he came to the Raptors? He was a nobody on Charlotte).

Most end of the bench guys in the NBA were standout college players with ridiculous statistics. You don't just get picked into the league to be a cheerleader, it just shows how good the top guys in the NBA in comparison to the 12th men.

For the record, despite all the jokes about Scalabrine, and fans cheering when he entered the game, he actually played well when given the opportunity.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 am

average Joes who thinks they can beat NBA victory cigars are quite stupid. I mean how limited their thinking/reasoning actually is? Scal, terrible NBA player, but forget it, he could still start on Eurocup team, or be a star in Asia. Are people who thought they could beat Scal actually thinks they could make Eurocup teams, or be a stars of lets say Lebanon NT? Unlikely.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,266

Post#16 » by ruckus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm

UcanUwill wrote:average Joes who thinks they can beat NBA victory cigars are quite stupid. I mean how limited their thinking/reasoning actually is? Scal, terrible NBA player, but forget it, he could still start on Eurocup team, or be a star in Asia. Are people who thought they could beat Scal actually thinks they could make Eurocup teams, or be a stars of lets say Lebanon NT? Unlikely.

With all the talk of Lowry's fat, Calderon's slow, DeMar sucks, Bargs sucks, AA is a d-league scrub, etc, etc; there must be quite a few disillusioned souls on this board that thinks they could take a player or two on our roster in a game of one-on- one.
Sojourn
Pro Prospect
And1: 72

Post#17 » by Sojourn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm

i actually think some of us can take caledron. not discrediting caledron as a player but he excels best in an organized game with pick and rolls which is great for him because u get paid to play that way not one on one. also, i think alan anderson would probably be our best one on one player because he has the strength to defend bigger guys and the speed, handles and shotmaking to score.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Re: OT: 

Post#18 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 pm

ruckus wrote:With all the talk of Lowry's fat, Calderon's slow, DeMar sucks, Bargs sucks, AA is a d-league scrub, etc, etc; there must be quite a few disillusioned souls on this board that thinks they could take a player or two on our roster in a game of one-on- one.

Not sure it was RealGM, I think not, but we had similar thread. Guys claimed they could drop several points on Bargnani. :lol:
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#19 » by 5DOM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Sojourn wrote:i actually think some of us can take caledron. not discrediting caledron as a player but he excels best in an organized game with pick and rolls which is great for him because u get paid to play that way not one on one. also, i think alan anderson would probably be our best one on one player because he has the strength to defend bigger guys and the speed, handles and shotmaking to score.

He plays that way because he's in the NBA. If he was playing against us, he would be the second-coming of Wilt Chamberlain. He would absolutely destroy every one of us unless you are an NBA player posting on RealGM
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#20 » by KnickerBonkerz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm

I'd like to see him go up against someone 1 on 1 who's not a short unathletic white kid

Return to Toronto Raptors