Scal takes on challengers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

diablerouge
Analyst
And1: 260

Re: Scal takes on challengers 

Post#41 » by diablerouge » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 pm

ItsSensei wrote:I don't know how people can doubt any NBA players lol, they practice with the greatest every day.

there are a few exceptions. i'm from montreal and i played against joel anthony in HS. he has never averaged double digit scoring at any level (hs, prep, juco, ncaa, pros) - dude just can't score.

he played in a competitivve pro-am in montreal (lots of ncaa kids from mtl and former euro pros) two summers ago and wasn't dominating offensively at all. of course, no one could score and he was swatting every layup in the stands tho!
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#42 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:I don't think Scal is a good 1-1 matchup for guys who are not in the league because he has great "average" size and he's a fundamental player. I think Scal is better than a lot of current players in the league in this kind of format. What I would be interested to see is someone like Keith Bogans play someone. Someone with size but not massive.

Bogans might not look massive, but he would probably just bully people like Scal did.

Even a dude like Kobe, who looks really lanky compared to other NBA players, is like a tank compared to an average person. There's a video where he played Bow Wow 1 on 1, and although it wasn't very impressive, Bow Wow looks absolutely pathetic from a physical standpoint, even disregarding the height difference. I'm sure Bow Wow is built like an average person though.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#43 » by Birth of the Cool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Scal was playing guys for the most part smaller than him and he was still missing lots of shots. How about the TV shows Joes vs Pros...former really good NBA players were beaten in 3on3 matchups vs guys who played college ball or whatever....NBA former pros were beat more consistently then Joes who played against former NFL or MLB guys.

Also, yeah I don't get the dead ball after a FGA rule. Is this common? As a lazy one-on-one player I would like to incorporate this into my summer one-on-one games lol.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#44 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

I think there is a bigger gap between NBA players and normal people than most think, but you have to remember that Scal is like 6'9 and has a good jumpshot. That's about enough to beat 99.9% of people on the street.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#45 » by LoveDaBoo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:I don't think Scal is a good 1-1 matchup for guys who are not in the league because he has great "average" size and he's a fundamental player. I think Scal is better than a lot of current players in the league in this kind of format. What I would be interested to see is someone like Keith Bogans play someone. Someone with size but not massive.

Bogans might not look massive, but he would probably just bully people like Scal did.

Even a dude like Kobe, who looks really lanky compared to other NBA players, is like a tank compared to an average person. There's a video where he played Bow Wow 1 on 1, and although it wasn't very impressive, Bow Wow looks absolutely pathetic from a physical standpoint, even disregarding the height difference. I'm sure Bow Wow is built like an average person though.

Right. When Linsanity broke out, someone posted this old video one of Lin's friends had made for youtube where he "plays one on one" with Lin. It wasn't a serious contest, because the friend quite obviously was nowhere near skilled enough to play someone of Lin's caliber, but what was interesting about the video is how huge Lin looked. I never thought of him as looking particularly strong watching him in the NBA, but in that video, next to a normal human being, he just looked huge. You forget how big and strong NBA guys are because they're constantly on the floor with 9 other guys who are also huge.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Post#46 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm

junot111 wrote:
bballcool34 wrote:Obviously he's an NBA player and immensely talented/skilled but that first game (the guy who played on 'Cuse last year) basically just told me that there are definitely a good amount of college dudes that can beat him if they have the size.

scalabrine is retired, keep that in mind. Obviously andrew wiggins and jabari parker could beat him

Ha this is arguable, in the game of one on one, size and power always gets the best of speed and quickness. Scal would just post them up all day and the game is over.
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#47 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

KyletheDingbat wrote:The strength difference is immense.

You don't realize how strong some of these NBa bigmen are after years of proffessional weight training, Scal has a strong base, even in the NBa he wasn't a pushover in the post now against these amateurs you just know he will dominate.
FlashFlare
RealGM
And1: 30,615

Post#48 » by FlashFlare » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Lakers need to sign Scal if they want to save their season. Can't have the Black Mamba without the White Mamba. It's like Yin and Yang.
100% WADEaboo
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#49 » by DynastySS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Honestly, he looked horrible out there.
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#50 » by mandurugo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Dutuctive Depp wrote:Im just wondering does everyone play one on one like this in america? Its like a video game. I'm use to keeping the ball live and going for rebounds and stuff.

It seemed like a variation on one of the most common ways of playing: make it - take it. In that style if you score you get to keep the ball on offense. But even in that style, most play the ball like it is live until someone scores. Common variations for that style are to allow the defensive player attempt to score the ball on airballs (without checking it behind the 3-point line) or attempting to score the bound on a rebound without landing first.

Of course, the best way to play 1vs1 is normal boundary rules (out of bounds ball goes to other guy), check the ball at 3 point line after scores (changing possession, i.e. not make it - take it), if the defensive player gets a rebound he must still bring it out past the 3 point line before attempting a shot. This forces players to consistently play both offense and defense, is much more similar to a 5vs5 game, and is more fun. It's not the most common way, especially not on playgrounds.
HB2
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#51 » by HB2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm

I am sorry, English is my second language and I am twitter illiterate - I will need "translation" of what JR wrote :oops:
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o

Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#52 » by bigbreakfast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:07 pm

where are all the fools on this board who thought they had what it takes to even come close to beating an NBA player. no you don't. even someone like white mamba would own you.
Turgon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,607

Post#53 » by Turgon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Human Being wrote:I am sorry, English is my second language and I am twitter illiterate - I will need "translation" of what JR wrote :oops:

Wrong thread?
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#54 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

DynastySS wrote:Honestly, he looked horrible out there.

Yup, just imagine he was bringing his A game and actually trying, it would be a shut-out all 4 games :roll:
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#55 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm

hype_2004 wrote:

Yup, just imagine he was bringing his A game and actually trying, it would be a shut-out all 4 games :roll:

Now challenge Scal one on one and see if you can do better.
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#56 » by DynastySS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:

Now challenge Scal one on one and see if you can do better.

Interesting quoting of yourself.

Scal would destroy me. Mostly because he has 5" and 40-50 lbs on me. Also his skill set is NBA caliber.

That said, if I can get him to routinely miss lay ups and easy post moves, than I walk away happy. He seems very capable of doing that against smaller, less talented players.
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
He's Heating Up
Senior
And1: 129

Post#57 » by He's Heating Up » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Scal didn't even look that impressive at all tbh... And he still won 44-6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruH69VwPAc

harold lewis wrote:See Baynes/Splittler both on the court. First time two european-americans 7 footers on same backcourt since longley/wennington in 90s.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#58 » by TruSkool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 pm

its a shame some local guys think they can take on an NBA player. the gap between the average baller and a professional is just mind boggling.

i admit, scalabrine didn't look so fresh, but he flat out dominated everybody. i mean 44-6. theres a reason he was in the nba.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#59 » by karkinos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 pm

scal is **** awesome

he's a stand up dude for even putting his rep on the line

he had only nice things to say about the challengers

i dont see why anyone would talk **** about him
Record Machine
Senior
And1: 455

Post#60 » by Record Machine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Dude looked like he was barely trying, rusty as hell and nowhere near playing shape... and still killed these guys.

Return to The General Board