ImageImageImageImageImage

Do we have the most horrible fans in the league?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Re: Do we have the most horrible fans in the league? 

Post#61 » by Alfred » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

"I don't understand all the negativity surrounding this terrible, directionless team."
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#62 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 pm

I also want to point out, ive been lurking here since about 04, anyone who uses the excuse that its the team being terrible at fault must be new to this. When have the Raps been great? Negativity has always been part of this board, the issue is lack of creativity or substance. Go read any thread, or the numerous duplicates of threads, its the same narratives from the same people about the same things. Its not even a Raptors forum anymore, its a chat room based on anything you can vaguely link back to MLSE/Raptors.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#63 » by SDM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Alfred wrote:"I don't understand all the negativity surrounding this terrible, directionless team."
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#64 » by hype_2004 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm

we have the most passionate fan in the league, that includes a few knuckleheads here and there. Much better than the apathetic/bandwagon fans surrounding many NBA franchises.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#65 » by wolfv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm amazed this team is actually averaging over 18 thousand fans per game. The fans of the raptors deserve a winning team
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#66 » by Alfred » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Think about this for a second before you vent on the fans for being negative:

The raptors have had one winning season in the past 11 years.
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#67 » by Big Shot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm

I'd say Raps have one of the most passionate fan base in the league. People whine about almost everything because they care. Plus, we have had a very disappointing record so far under BC's management which started to make the most patient fans impatient. How can you blame them if they were told by the management their goal was to build a championship team from the beginning?
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#68 » by Left Side Drive » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 pm

At this moment in time we actually do need to be negative. I mean I don't understand how anyone who cares about this team could be so delusional as to think we are going in the right direction. We need to show our disgust to the franchise or they will just continue their ways and keep building treadmill teams.

Plus OP is quite wrong. We are just like any fanbase. Negativity towards the home team is nothing new. Even Heat fans who are defending champions complain about their players on the regular.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#69 » by Geddy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Alfred wrote:Think about this for a second before you vent on the fans for being negative:

The raptors have had one winning season in the past 11 years.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't know why people expect the rest of us to just be blindly optimistic when this team has shown us that there isn't much to be positive about. Negative results will lead to negative reactions. We've heard the, "stop being so negative and be patient" line for years now and nothing has come from it.

My other problem is with a certain number of fans on this board that think that those who are critical of the franchise are somehow of less intelligence than the guys that continue to blindly support this mess of a team.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#70 » by realball » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:I also want to point out, ive been lurking here since about 04, anyone who uses the excuse that its the team being terrible at fault must be new to this. When have the Raps been great? Negativity has always been part of this board, the issue is lack of creativity or substance. Go read any thread, or the numerous duplicates of threads, its the same narratives from the same people about the same things. Its not even a Raptors forum anymore, its a chat room based on anything you can vaguely link back to MLSE/Raptors.

How does this make any sense? If the Raptors were never great, what reason have we ever had to be positive? Of course negativity has always been part of this board, it's because the Raptors suck. And what kind of creativity or substance are you expecting?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,916

Post#71 » by JN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm

The board really isn't bi-polar. The Raptors board is divided on many topics, and people tend to post when the play on the floor that day / weel, meets their argument / agenda.
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#72 » by Yoga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes, we are a losing team, but some of you trolls have discouraged Little Ozzy from posting here anymore:

Yoga wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:
Yoga wrote:Little Ozzy come back to the Raptors forum, we miss you :cry:

No thanks.

I understand
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#73 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 pm

So the argument being put forward by a lot of posters is "negative results yield negative attitudes from fans."

This seems to make sense. Disappointment and frustration with failure are not likely to produce happiness and excitement.

On the other hand, they needn't necessarily produce anger. Anger is a choice. It's not like any of this has any direct effect on our life. Nobody is hitting you or hurting you. You are a spectator, and you have a certain amount of control over how you choose to react and engage with the game you are spectating.

The Raps are far, far, far from the longest-suffering franchise in pro sports. There are many, many teams with much worse records spanning decades. There are people who have supported a team for their whole lives and never seen them win a championship. And I mean people in their 40s and 50s and even 60s and 70s in some sports. Do you think it would be healthy for them to spend their entire lives in a state of negativity and anger simply because their favourite team isn't successful? How smart or healthy would that be? It could give someone ulcers or a heart attack and literally kill them at a certain point.

Other response to the failures of our favourite team could be resignation, encouragement, thoughtful analysis, laughter, playful mockery (thanks TZ!) or apathy. "There's always next year" seems to me to be a lot healthier response than repeating things like "You POS I want you and all your $%^&$% players fired or traded because you all suck" day after day. Especially when all these people you hate couldn't give a rats ass what you think and are all busy making millions of dollars and enjoying their lives while you sit on the sideline being miserable. Is that really a useful attitude?

I'm not saying everyone needs to be blindly optimistic, but there is a difference between saying "yeah I know, we suck" or "here's why I think we suck" or "man, I'm tired of sucking" and ranting and raving angrily and attacking people you don't know publicy over and over just because you can. after all, the state of the raptors is not a life or death situation.

Sure losing is bound to be disappointing, but anger and verbal abuse is only one option among many possible responses. Just saying "we suck therefore i have the right to be an angry a$$hole and constantly trash all our players" doesn't cut it imo. It's true you have that right, but what the hell is the point of it? Why bother being so negative when there are other options available and your negativity has no impact except on you?

Anyway, I don't mean to lecture people. Do what you want. I just don't agree with the statement that failure has to produce negativity and anger in fans. It took like 80 years for the Boston Red Sox to win the world series a few years ago. If I was a Boston fan I would rather have enjoyed the game, found satisfaction in what we did well and shake my head or laugh at what we did bad, rather than driving myself insane with negativity for 80 years. It could be a while til the raps win it all. I don't plan to pop a blood vessel until we do.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#74 » by Saciid11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm

dballislife wrote:Why do we have such extremely negative, idiotic, and simply horrible fan base.

What other fans would have tolerated BC and Bargnani for 7 year and making the playoff for 4 times in 17 seasons ???

Raptors have the best fans in the league..
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,497

Post#75 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm

When contemplating a picture of Siberia, the penguin was heard to ask 'However do they stand the heat?'
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
raps4589
Pro Prospect
And1: 28

Post#76 » by raps4589 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Real gm caters to raptors fans. We have the biggest fan base on here. Our fans are passionate and want a winner so by saying we have the worst fans is a joke. Some teams don't even have a fan base
fabste
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#77 » by fabste » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Saciid11 wrote:
dballislife wrote:Why do we have such extremely negative, idiotic, and simply horrible fan base.

What other fans would have tolerated BC and Bargnani for 7 year and making the playoff for 4 times in 17 seasons ???

yeah right

little to non-existent sport culture
little to non existent knowledge of the game
money
bipolar mentality
hustle role player who can't play basket as idols
ALWAYS blame the best player for losses

mix and you have the average raptor fan :wink:

the best no doubt :lol: :lol:
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#78 » by SkywalkerAC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Anyone else think that after a couple winning seasons we'd actually see a lot less activity on this forum?
Yogi Stewertess
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#79 » by Yogi Stewertess » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm

We have the best fans. People in general are "crazy". So any time you have a large group there tends to be more wackos who stick out. People are people, no matter, religion, race, fan association, whatever. We all have the same (Please Use More Appropriate Word) human instincts.
fabste
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#80 » by fabste » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm

fabste wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:

yeah right

little to non-existent sport culture
little to non existent knowledge of the game
money
bipolar mentality
hustle role player who can't play basket as idols
ALWAYS blame the best player for losses
inferiority complex to not be considered american

mix and you have the average raptor fan :wink:

the best no doubt :lol: :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors