ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

GeneralNash
Banned User
And1: 13

Re: LAT: who would you rather see return? Howard, Gasol or M 

Post#81 » by GeneralNash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

You really start appreciating Phil J. after watching the offense. It's like there are no plays99% of the time out there. :lol:
nashill
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Re: Mitch: Problem is the players' effort, not coach 

Post#82 » by nashill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 am

thought he was obviously referring to Dwight

Mitch Kuchak didn't mention the name "Dwight Howard" to me when he talked about the Lakers' lack of effort, but ...
Read this answer by Kupchak and tell me that you don't think he's not calling out Howard, considering all of the ways he's saying that effort can help the Lakers' game:

"I'm a little bit concerned about our effort," Kupchak said. "I'd like to see better effort on the court. When the ball is not bouncing your way, when shots aren't going in, you just can't seem to get a break, the one thing you can control on the court is your effort and loose balls and running the floor, defending, offensive rebounding. I think back to the Miami game and I have that vision of LeBron (James) diving on that ball at midcourt. That's effort. It's natural when things get tough to hesitate and be unsure, lose confidence. That's one thing that we can't let happen. We have to maintain our confidence and our effort more than anything has to be at an all-time to get through this period."

Loose balls. Running the floor. Defending. Offensive rebounding.

Sounds like a checklist for Howard to start working on crossing off, rather than be complaining about only getting five shot attempts, as he did after the Lakers' loss to the Bulls on Monday. about 5 hours ago

http://sulia.com/mcten/
Spurs.Grizzlies.Hawks.Bulls.Wizards.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#83 » by AcecardZ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm

This is a no brainer. Of course I'd like to see Howard return assuming, this might be a huge assumption, we could get a coach in place that knows how to utilize the guy to his fullest potential. This includes a coach that Dwight respects and is capable of learning from. Does such a coach exist?
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 837

Post#84 » by Wile E. Coyote » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Mitch said that the talent on the team was more suited to D'Antoni's system.

That's only correct if Steve Nash is the only talent you have.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#85 » by contract » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The problem is that D'Antoni is obsessed with "small ball". The Lakers may as well have hired Don Nelson. If the Lakers had Tim Duncan and David Robinson, D'Antoni would find a reason to bench or trade one of them ... and he'd secretly wish to rid himself of the other one too. :lol:
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#86 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Is't this pretty much the same thing they said about Brown a couple days before he was fired?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: Dwight Howard's camp requested the Lakers reach out to P 

Post#87 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

leeprettyp wrote:So it wasnt just Jim but Jerry also. So can the Mike D. coaching hire not just be blamed on Jim but Jerry Buss also. Like I've been saying the FO as a whole made the mistake

:roll: Just because Jerry said no to Phil doesn't automatically make it his idea or decision to go with Pringles.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#88 » by Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm

It he had a say about Phil, logic would seem to dictate he had a say about D'Antoni too.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#89 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:So it wasnt just Jim but Jerry also. So can the Mike D. coaching hire not just be blamed on Jim but Jerry Buss also. Like I've been saying the FO as a whole made the mistake

:roll: Just because Jerry said no to Phil doesn't automatically make it his idea or decision to go with Pringles.

Yeah your right, but I'm saying as a whole the front office blew up the year when they allowed their stubborness to show and not hire Phil. And then that was after the mistake of hiring Mike Brown
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 pm

TyCobb wrote:They're an old team with a weak bench with real liabilities playing too fast.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#91 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Nothing earth shattering here, Mitch is working the company line and does bring a good point up with regards to effort.

When one looks at the economics, it is very hard to believe that the Lakers and the Buss family want to swallow approximately 23 million dollars in contracts from two fired coaches. I am sure part of them hopes that D'Antoni does just walk away, but I do not believe that is going to happen.

Watching the Chicago game the other night, I was struck firmly with how unorganized this team is on the floor and yes their effort at times is a joke. Guys are not in sync, sure unjuries are a significant part of this, but it just looked like they were going through the motions.

Mitch is somewhat handcuffed and I know we are all curious to see what, if anything, he tries to accomplish before the deadline. They have to figure out what to do with Dwight, but beyond that, I see the Lakers sleep walking through the rest of this season and then trying to sort it out over the summer. As a Lakers fan that is down right depressing sh*t, but I am not seeing/hearing anything else right now to make me feel differently.
Ball so hard.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#92 » by kobe808lak » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm

MDA is a cancer that is dividing the team rather than bringing them together.
Run-MKE 311
Senior

Post#93 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Agreed, as a huge critic of Jim Buss, the Good Doctor needs to be thrown into the fray as well for not wanting Phil 3.0 to happen.

As each day passes and the losses mount, everyone within that FO and ownership tree has more blood on their paws. It will be entertaining to watch them try and stuff all of this sh*t back into the horse.
Ball so hard.
Run-MKE 311
Senior

Post#94 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Not surprised that some of Dwight's crew would try and make an overrature to Phil happen. But it did not work and now figuring out what to do with Dwight has become a real issue.

I like Dwight and deep down I do not think he is a bad dude, but it sure seems like the internal team he has surrounded himself with are a bunch of a$$hats.

D12 has grossly under-performed and whether it is the fault of inuries or not, the guy is simply not engaged, nor is he bringing the energy.

Some posters have made the point already and it is a good one, if Dwight tries to throw what he feels is his weight around, towards this organization, this experiment will be over quickly. I give Kobe a lot of credit for not errupting more than he already has, God knows he looks like he just wants to rip the GD locker room apart.

The season has been a disaster and Dwight has been a big part of that, certainly he is no position right now to try and force his hand.
Ball so hard.
Run-MKE 311
Senior

Post#95 » by Run-MKE 311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

kobe808lak wrote:MDA is a cancer that is dividing the team rather than bringing them together.

It certainly is looking more that way.
Ball so hard.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#96 » by kobe808lak » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 pm

The MDA hire was a bad one and it needs to be corrected via firing.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#97 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Depends on how invested Dwight is to play here and what kind of attitude he'll bring. If what we've seen this year is our franchise player for the next five year then yikes, i'd much prefer having Pau back who is only signed for one more season.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#98 » by Cashin out » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:36 pm

This is the reason why Dwight will leave. I see everybody in the media blaming him for our struggles. Kobe gets no blame at all. If I was Dwight and i'm not getting any shot attempts why not leave?

*The funny thing is with our luck we will trade Dwight, and he will go back to being the Dwight he was in Orlando.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by leeprettyp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm

interesting read from TJ Simers today

Mike D'Antoni isn't the one to flip the switch for the Lakers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-simers-dantoni-20130123,0,7563136,full.column

Even stated in his article he text Jim Buss asking, "Is it time to call Phil?"
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#100 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 pm

I don't see him leaving he's been taking too much crap that I doubt he'd leave a franchise and leave them nothing at this point, and i'm generally skeptical about things.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers