ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Why is D'Antoni allowed so many chances?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

QueenzAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 425

OT: Why is D'Antoni allowed so many chances? 

Post#1 » by QueenzAllDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 am

This is simply mind boggling to me. What in the world do GM's see in this guy? What has he done in PHX that credits his system? What has he done HERE that credits his system? Where is the results? Where is the Finals appearances? He's been losing in Conference Finals for most of his career. He's had a prime Steve Nash and prime Amar'e to work with.

There are coaches like the Van Gundy's, Jackson, Sloan, Larry Brown, and so on just chilling. Not working. Have teased fans and media that they are interested in coaching again and yet a guy like D'Antoni gets the luxury of coaching Nash, Kobe, Gasol & Howard. Arguably all have had or could have HOF careers.

Imagine a Triangle offense with Kobe, Nash & Howard.

Imagine a 4/5 Twin Tower offense where Gasol & Howard can feed off of one another.

Talents being UTILIZED instead of randomly floating around the 3 point line.

Defensive schemes that actually ADJUSTS through out a game.

WHAT AM I MISSING?!

I am the GUILTIEST fan out there. I was D'Antoni's biggest supporter when we got him. I was hyped. I was like "wait till you see him and marbury! BOY WE GONNA HAVE THAT SYSTEM"

BUT WHERE IS THIS SYSTEM!? What has he accomplished that makes him EARN the right to Coach the Lakers? Are we seriously gonna sit here and say that Mike Brown was doing a WORST job before D'Antoni got there?!

I am so confused. #endrant
TANK LIFE
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Re: OT: Why is D'Antoni allowed so many chances? 

Post#2 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:09 am

I don't care for neither coach but at least with Dantoni they score.

They weren't defending under a known defensive coach.

Mike Brown was worse., Dantoni is merely a bad fit.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
QueenzAllDay
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by QueenzAllDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:14 am

Thugger HBC wrote:I don't care for neither coach but at least with Dantoni they score.

Brown didn't have Nash if I remember correctly before he got fired. There was a stretch that the Lakers were going to "Wait and see" and once that report came out they just axed him on the spot.

But yeah, D'antoni is a HORRIBLE fit. He's been having the same problems with PHX & NY. He can't fit to his roster. He never compromises. He doesn't change jack ****! By knowing this and by knowing his history why do these teams continue to look for him as an answer to their problems?
TANK LIFE
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Post#4 » by GONYK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 am

QueenzAllDay wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:I don't care for neither coach but at least with Dantoni they score.

Brown didn't have Nash if I remember correctly before he got fired. There was a stretch that the Lakers were going to "Wait and see" and once that report came out they just axed him on the spot.

But yeah, D'antoni is a HORRIBLE fit. He's been having the same problems with PHX & NY. He can't fit to his roster. He never compromises. He doesn't change jack ****! By knowing this and by knowing his history why do these teams continue to look for him as an answer to their problems?

The same reason people keep hiring Mike Brown

There aren't that many teams willing to take a chance on a new coach
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#5 » by boomann21 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 am

The guy has some very creative one liners that pull you in. It's almost like a Jedi mind trick. I mean he was here for four years and the media did not go after him at all. They were so in awe of the cat that they came up for every excuse for why it wasn't his coaching and it was the Multitude of players he had which didn't allow him time to form chemistry.

Now he has his stud pg who made him gazillions of dollars and Kobe and Dwight. There are no excuses for him and if anybody makes on they are D'antoni lovers.
QueenzAllDay
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by QueenzAllDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 am

GONYK wrote:
QueenzAllDay wrote:

Mike Brown has been in CLE this was only his second team in his career. They gave him a half ass shot of a second season with the Lakers and that's not right.

Every coach I named are Vets with proven history to adapt to their roster or at least attempt to. D'Antoni has never even tried to play a half court game. He forced Melo to play Point Forward as a solution for no valuable PG option.

CHA went with a really raw HC this year, Monty Williams is another guy with min experience, We all know about Mark Jackson... There is something about D'antoni that I need to know. What the hell about him attracts teams. I mean he was so close to being the Bulls HC. Can you even picture the Bulls being a 100+ PPG team with that roster they have now?
TANK LIFE
QueenzAllDay
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by QueenzAllDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 am

boomann21 wrote:The guy has some very creative one liners that pull you in. It's almost like a Jedi mind trick. I mean he was here for four years and the media did not go after him at all. They were so in awe of the cat that they came up for every excuse for why it wasn't his coaching and it was the Multitude of players he had which didn't allow him time to form chemistry.

Now he has his stud pg who made him gazillions of dollars and Kobe and Dwight. There are no excuses for him and if anybody makes on they are D'antoni lovers.

Exactly. But I will disagree on one thing. I think the Jedi thing worked well pre-Melo. Post-Melo is when I noticed the Media really starting to attack him and his system. Especially when Lin/Melo was going down.
TANK LIFE
CU_NY09
Bench Warmer
And1: 84

Post#8 » by CU_NY09 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 am

GONYK wrote:

What he said. It's actually quite frustrating.
QueenzAllDay
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by QueenzAllDay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 am

biglove44 wrote:
GONYK wrote:

What he said. It's actually quite frustrating.

I disagree. There are plenty of teams with young coaches right now with the bare min for coaching experience. A lot of them are paying off. Like Frank Vogel and Mark Jackson.

But the point is that even if they wanted to go the route of a Veteran & Proven Coach, you are telling me that D'Antoni is your BEST option with the current roster you have now?

Throw Phil Jackson out the window. Fine. You have a personal issues with him or he is making too many demands or w/e the excuse is. Fine.

But Larry Brown couldn't do a better job than D'Antoni? Jerry Sloan? The man who's resume consist of Stockton, Malone, Deron, Boozer, couldn't do a better job than D'Antoni?
TANK LIFE
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#10 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:30 am

Didnt brown lead a purportedly weaker team a season before to a 4 seed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#11 » by ITGM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 am

Why is D'Antoni allowed so many chances?

madbucky
Bench Warmer
And1: 32

Post#12 » by madbucky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 am

QueenzAllDay wrote:What has he accomplished that makes him EARN the right to Coach the Lakers?

He was an assistant coach for the gold medal Olympics team!

WHAT AM I MISSING?!

You're forgetting that some owners are idiots.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#13 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 am

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:

Didnt brown lead a purportedly weaker team a season before to a 4 seed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

You tell me.

R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 am

wasn't this thread made yesterday, the day before that, and the day before that?
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
rdogg1026
Banned User
And1: 51

Post#15 » by rdogg1026 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Sad that a lot of Knick fans can't get off D'Antoni's ****

Get over it man...Who cares about him? He's not our coach anymore and he isn't our problem.

If teams want to give him a job, let them.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#16 » by kosmovitelli » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Why is D'Antoni allowed so many chances?

So many ? When Walsh and the Knicks hired him in may 2008, he was considered a top coach in the league so the Lakers is really his first chance after his debacle in NY.

As I said last time there was a discussion about d'Antoni here, he was and he's still a bad fit for the Lakers' team. Having Steve Nash on the team doesn't mean you need to hire Mike d'Antoni. At this point I'm not even sure they were right to pursue Steve Nash last summer. They probably should have signed a cheap PG (like us with Raymond Felton) and used their resources to strengthen other positions (especiallly the wings). Remember the Lakers started to win when Andrew Bynum finally fulfilled his potential and played like a top 5 C at the beginning of the 2007-2008 season (it was before they even acquired Pau Gasol). Odom was motivated again, they acquired Ariza and that team suddenly became the best in the West. It's a shame Bynum was damaged goods and wasn't commited to resign with the Lakers. Not sure they would have traded him for Dwight if he was 100% healthy and willing to commit long term.

About the coaches you mentioned, especially Sloan and Larry Brown, they're no longer considered because of their age. I think the Lakers picked Mike d'Antoni because of Steve Nash and his experience with Team USA. Mike had a good relationship with Kobe.

I think the Lakers' first mistake was to keep Mike Brown last summer. Wether it's Phil Jackson, Mike d'Antoni or another coach, they should have made the change last summer. And I think they should have hired an interim coach (instead of signing Mike for three seasons). As Kupchak hinted, there's a lack of effort and accountability and you ain't going to get accountability with Mike, that's one of his problems. If they wanted a team USA assistant, I thik they picked the wrong one ! I would have hired Nate McMillan instead.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#17 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Mike D was never an ideal fit here...I think this was a PR move in so much as they wanted to move away from Phil Jackson talk but needed someone that the fans could rally around. By hiring Mike, they got a guy with a big personality (like him or hate him type) who could give them excitement thanks to his history with Steve Nash. I honestly don't believe it was ever about winning, otherwise they'd have swallowed their pride and given in to Phil.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jheri Curl
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#18 » by Jheri Curl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Quite a few teams are running a variation of his offense, such as the Spurs. D'Antoni pretty much started the small ball movement we are currently seeing, which is why teams keep providing him opportunities. However I think they are ignoring his flaws in the process.

If he was smart, he would go straight into college ball. His offense would kill in that environment.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#19 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:17 pm

To add to Jhericurl

In college ball you get to select your own players. Therefore he could recruit based on his system.

Lost in this whole fiasco is that Kobe's off the ball defense is horrific, as is Artest's. Both guys are having lapses where they fall asleep on the perimeter and their guys (usually other teams leading scorer) cuts to the basket.

Another issue is that Gasol is slower these days and having him literally run baseline to baseline is just pure stupidity. If you want to play him away from the basket, keep him near the ft line so his trot back is that much shorter.

A slowed pace overall, particularly when Kobe is is, will be beneficial. Less energy on the back and forth will give the guys fresher legs on defense. Mike though is insisting on spacing.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#20 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

pringles is a joke.. thats not coaching.. really!

he doesnt adjust, he forces HIS philosophy to the teams he been coachin. Prime-Nash made him.. thats all. Coach K and colangelo are pretty high on him i guess. And thats the rep u need obviously.. other than that he was pretty bad on the knicks and is on the lakers so far.

But who cares? really im not rooting for him to loose. but i would be mad if gasol will make it rain on us from the corner anytime soon.. but i guess gasol is benched.. aaaaaaaaaaahahahahah

this d'antoni guy.. so funny! :D
im bout dat action boss

Return to New York Knicks